Start-Up 스타트업 [2020]

Jane

FUN BET : Who will Dalmi end up with ?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Dalmi will end up with? Now think carefully as this is a bet. Winners can use a profile picture of their OTP. But LOSERS will have to use the face of DoSan's cousin , Nam Cheon Ho

• Do San
    • Ji Pyeong
    • No one
    • It doesn't matter to me ( specially for Mademoiselle :P)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2020 at 11:09 AM

3 hours ago, Lynne said:

wished the writer would end the triangle already... I do not find it enjoyable to watch at all. 

Jinjaaaaa? The clingy annoying triangle trope is still going on? Oh no, I don't like it then. Lols. 

Shouldn't the time skip give DL enough time to clear her mind and carefully ask her heart to whom it belongs to. Yeah.. I saw prev ep 13. Just done ep twelve. And seeing how annoying their long overdue love fight will be resumed soon. Lols. 

Okay. That was that. So let me share a bit of my thoughts on ep 12 I've just done. 

Their plan B is not as good as it wished. In the end, they have to be separated. What upset me is that they have to put on hold their project, their dreams cuz their team is disbanded. Like all those flashbacks revealed later, the part where DS trying to complete his program of the medicine data base would be something to tell more later, which means their noongil project wasn't abandon completely. So I guess both JP and him had convinced Alex. It's why DS can get that data for Noongil. Maybe. Yea.. haha.

JP knew about haelmoni's eyes and all those memories and all his words are all coming back at him like a big punch which leave a deep scar in his heart. And I think it was the first time he does apologizing and admit he was regret for what had happened.

I like the quotes, "if you can beat them, join them" it feels so bitter but life must go on. You can stop just you fail once. DM is more than capable but she keeps losing her chances. And I think her sister sees that too. So I guess she'll agreed to hire her. 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Hmmmm my ship confirmed sink :laugh:...not that I didn't expect it but oh well.  I saw a lot of spoilers but honestly it made angry . Writer -nim continues to make our GoodBoy like a saint. Is this her evil intention of saying that Dal Mi doesn't know what she is missing? Lol! 
Reason JP stopped DS at the elevator was so that he won't go up and see that DM is crying. Apparently he lied to DS that he is seeing DM. But later after DS left he told DM what he did. 

Spoiler

JP being a sweetheart of course...

But ahahahah the fate of all 2nd leads is to be the perfect one that got away.

But I don't think it matters how good JP is ....we know where her heart lies

Spoiler

And uri JP bows out after 14 long episodes in next week's preview

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Full preview

Oh my In Jae just only found out about halmoni's condition. The 3 years time skip is even more pointless...It is unbelievable that DM who works with her sister day & night would fail to even mention this in passing

@gilaswan I don't really see DS as a jerk but JP tugged at my heart alot in a way that DS could not.

My disappointment with the writer. ....

Spoiler

What I suppose annoyed me was that PHR had written the drama this round in such a way that who DalMi choses is important  because that person gets their slice of happiness. So it was a zero sum game where JP and DS are concerned. We can all say that JP's happiness is the most important but what does JP's happiness mean? He lacks nothing financially , and let's not kid ourselves that him having a "family" is important. We know that it will all  be awkward once DS & DM get together.  Imagine him joining DM & halmoni in the future , and every time he sees DS, he will be reminded of his own missed chances . I can't help but notice that JP smiles the most & is most happy when he sees DalMi. That is his happiness. That is why I could not be indifferent to the love line.  The writer had made it so.  If it wasn't she wouldn't have stretched the love triangle, devoted so much screen time and made JP a character you want to root for. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Sad 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

The problem with JP is he's always hesitated. Hesitated to aplogize and unable express his true feelings. And he keep thinking and thinking and by the time he made his mind it was all too late. That is why he's always late.

Aw. The trio samsan gang is back for good! I love how they're sticking together. And the vote scene is just so good! Love it! Seeing from how they started from that slump rooftop to what they're now is just so dreamy. I mean. I sensed that they're going back to their dreams, their original path, to build their own company.

And aww.. DS rush to save DL from those ransomware attack. Haha. They're meant to be together. So no matter how they're apart, in the end they're once again reunited. I know he's worried of her but does he need to carry her in his arms like that? It's not like she hurt his leg and unable to walk. Lololol.

Not done yet so will add more differrent comments later.

P.S. 

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Hmmmm my ship confirmed sink :laugh:...

I am sorry to say it's a good news for me.  I am glad that I dont need to put up DS' cousin's face as my dp. Hahaha. Well that frozen concept is just so hilarious as that money yell yell. 

• Haha 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

After watching Ep 14, I realizes JP lack of confidence in Dal Mi's affection for him, seals the deal for me - they are not meant to be.  I like JP character so much I want him to be with someone who 100% wants him back and does not waver.   Also realize - probably too late in the series, it will never devout enough time to the family relationships.  Like a lot of others, I question, why the first episode gave us all the background on the sisters, Dad, Mom, Grandma and then those threads were never fully developed.  

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 3

The week started out quite busy for me, and still remains so, but Imma gonna squeeze in some time to... vent!!! :niu: (just like my cat when she sulks)

I qualify again - I have no issue with Dalmi choosing Dosan, even if he might not be the best fit for her, because well, people make choices and live with them. And if Dalmi and Dosan were real people. What I have an issue with is how she is choosing him when it seems like her character is going against its own logic. There is something in the trajectory this story is being thrown into that looks like it has been derailed from its original set up. 

As @abs-oluteM and @Chocolate have pointed out repeatedly - and I echo their sentiments - the foundations of the story, the backdrop, character buildup, etc. all point to Jipyeong. Bad reasons and apparent deceptions aside, they all point towards Jipyeong as being central to this story. In many ways, I even see him as the lead. It almost feels as if the story is about him than about Start Ups. That particular storyline was totally thrown into the wind from the get go. So @HerManyShows, ya, you're right. We can forget about the developments of everyone else. 

Therein lies my disappointment with PHR which I am sure @Lynneshares - what one earth happened to her writing here? She's always had a talent for weaving in complexities shared between multiple characters because that's what it is in real life. People have complex connections with multiple persons, each having overlapping relationships. Yet she never "lost the plot" in the process. This time round, the plot has gone haywire and the story no longer holds logic within its own world. 

What went wrong? The entire time jump. It served no purpose.

• The Samsan Tech boys did not grow. They did not mature. In fact, they got worse because they came back (so easily) rich, conceited and just as clueless as before about how to really run a business. 
  • Dosan returned bitter. The 3 years taught him nothing except to pine for Dalmi while feeding his anger. And he came back angry with Jipyeong. He's looking for someone to blame and it's *again* Jipyeong, his literal and figurative punching bag. Why even?
  • Dalmi did not grow either. She is still impulsive, not logical and collected like Injae, and cannot tell the difference between personal and professional.
  • Jipyeong did nothing for 3 years except eat all the food at Halmeoni's for Chuseok. Whut? Did he not make dinners regular at her house? He's practically the grandson Halmeoni didn't have, and for all that, he did not get to know Dalmi better? Dalmi is still uncomfortable with him? Why? He was their mentor, excuse me. She sent him 400 text messages. He wrote letters to her - did she burn them all? She didn't clarify with him? She didn't clarify with Halmeoni? 3 years, seriously?

Ironically, the one person with the least screen time was the only one who grew. Injae became softer after working with her sister. She became more independent and ready to cut ties with her stepfather and brother. And more ready to (re)connect with family. 

But everyone else? Who knows and by now, who cares? I'm still watching only cos I want to see how predictable this is going to be. We've already seen the very easy revival of Samsan Tech through the partnership of the boys and Dalmi's new startup (which I have to say, should not have Dalmi as CEO - Injae was right. She should be fired.) Now let's see how else the engineering twins will betray them. I reckon the ransomware could just be generated by them. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Han Ji Pyeong, you'd remain the greatest 'what-if'.

The drama has really been becoming very popular all over my social media. Several of my friends are debating between TeamNamDoSan & TeamHanJiPyeong. But honestly, I hope that everyone sees beyond the romance plot. There is a brilliant and engaging technical story of starting and doing business + familial drama.

KSH is really gaining a lot of attention. As an avid 2d1n supporter, I thank all Start Up viewers who gave 2d1n a try. Kamsahamnida for helping boost this season's ratings. Hahaha

:CharmanderYay:

Edit: Yes, am still waiting for that Han JiPyeong backstory! Writer better give it to us. 

Edited by -StrongTower-
  • Haha 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

In the strong Tower, I take refuge.

-----------------------------------

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

I over-estimated the writer. I was already incredulous that 3 years was going to be squashed into 1 episode. But 5 minutes! That's all she needed 🙄😂 Although I did not have much expectations, that was still quite a shocker. Not to mention, who goes sailing in sunny weather in a jacket?

Well written @gilaswan.

@ryanallright I had to google CMI hehehe.

@ktcjdrama I am curious about your thoughts on the recent development/non-development. You wrote an objective post earlier. Are you still satisfied with where the drama is going, romance aside? 😊

This poor girl. To find out only at the end!

That's another point I would like to highlight. A show should be written logically, reasonably. The audience should not need to know about how k-drama works, who is the lead etc. A well-written show should show all this naturally - I would have thought that is fundamental in any country.

Here, we have kind souls like @mademoiselle to explain how k-drama works and @ktcjdrama to explain the importance of a kiss, so I have managed my expectation somewhat. But what about others? Start-Up is on Netflix. There is an international audience who is not familiar with k-drama. And this tweet shows the result.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

@Chocolate agree with u on the international audience who are not familiar with kdramas. Many of my friends too are new to the kdrama scene, and still cant believe how DalMi could not end up with HJP. I had to explain it that most of the times, or even all the time, the FL ends up with the ML, never the second lead. I learned the hard way thru Dr. Stranger. Since then, I had to google who the leads are to ready both my mind and heart.

My opinion in SU is that the writers may not have expected KSH to bring so much life to HJP's character. They must have underestimated him since both NJH and Suzy are hallyu stars (they are, right? 😁). Also, the writers introduced HJP first. The first scene was him and yeong sil. The letters were written by him. He was DalMi's source of inspiration all these years. So, if not for the "lead" status, storywise, DalMi seems to end up with JiPyeong. Anyone can sense how they had to forcibly push that kissing scene Dalmi and DoSan (in the roof deck, was it?) out of nowhere. This coming from a TeamNamDoSan. Hahaha.

Nevertheless of the romance plot, I just hope that the writers give us the HJP's backstory and a reasonable and justifiable ending to his story.

Edit: and where is InJae? She had so little airtime in the later part of the drama. I was expecting to see more of her character but  naahh. 

Edited by -StrongTower-
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

23 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Here, we have kind souls like @mademoiselle to explain how k-drama works and @ktcjdrama to explain the importance of a kiss, so I have managed my expectation somewhat. But what about others? Start-Up is on Netflix. There is an international audience who is not familiar with k-drama. And this tweet shows the result.

Ya , my poor mum is one of them...she was shocked. Lol! I had to try and explain to her. So she binged watch Strongest DeliveryMan to make herself feel better since I told her that he has his own love line. She only watches stuff on Netflix since it is on TV. And no, she still does not comprehend what forums are about and till this day , she doesn't understand what the heck I am doing  so busy writing dunno what here :laugh:

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

What went wrong? The entire time jump. It served no purpose.

Exactly... everyone is just richer and dresses better but character growth was zero. Even JiPyeong. I still cannot accept that he did nothing for 3 years. Wanna shake him but why did the writer do that.  

13 minutes ago, -StrongTower- said:

Edit: and where is InJae? She had so little airtime in the later part of the drama. I was expecting to see more of her character but  naahh. 

Really wasted. I wanted more development about the sisters as that was quite pivotal at the start of the drama. I still cannot believe that no one told In Jae about grandma's condition. Does that even make sense? Lol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Yes after 3 years she was left in the dark re:Halmeoni's condition @abs-oluteM

I was really, like really expecting more scenes for Kang Ha Na!!! She is one of the 4 leads, yet it seems that SamSan tech Boys had more airtime. At least we could have known the life she had growing up with his stepdad, the moments she feels she thinks she might have made the wrong choice of choosing her mom over her dad, the struggles she has to put up with against his stepbro and her reconciliation with DalMi (I want to see more of the sisters' bond and renewed relationship as well). I feel like that the writers chose to solidify NamDoSan's character in order not to be overpowered by HJP, which resulted to InJae's character development not told to and seen by the viewers. Oh, my opinion only btw 😅

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Are you still satisfied with where the drama is going, romance aside?

Well, the earlier episodes are definitely way better. I shall reserve judgment until the drama ends, because you know, even the last few minutes can still destroy a drama, hahaha... Btw, a sunny day could still be very chilly actually. So the sailing part with jackets was alright for me. I'm more bothered by DoSan working on the laptop under the bright sun. How to see the monitor well??

For sure, the main character in this story is the start up company SamSan Tech. We can see that the rest of the characters are not as important because no story is worth showing unless SST is also in the picture. Which is why we have the 3 years events summarised in a voice-over, and then the story continues only when SST is back in Korea. I'm fine with that, although I know many are not. IMO, the time-jump here is actually done better than most of the other dramas I have watched. At least they're keeping up to date with the vlogging stuff. Other dramas will have the characters not have any contacts at all for 2 whole years when it's sooo easy with today's technology. Then you also see rich people going overseas for years and years without going back to Korea, like they have no money to buy plane tickets, lol....

I guess many of us are so used already to the formula that in a drama one main male lead must get main female lead. Many watch dramas with this viewing mentality. I have dialed my viewing mind that this is not a romantic story, so I don't expect romantic plots. Maybe because I also watch other genres of dramas, it's easier for me to stop myself from attaching the male lead label to certain characters. I just enjoy the story-telling as presented by the writer. HJP definitely has all the classic characteristics of second male lead. He makes us swoon and has the better qualities than the other male lead, but the female lead only has eyes for the other one. And then it's always about the wrong timing. Remember in the beginning, he was walking up to DM, yet DS appeared and reached her first. He just stopped in his track. Then recently, it's the giving of the gift. He hesitate so much and tada, DS appeared in Sandbox. it's always a missed timing. I used to have bad SLS too. Sometimes screaming at the female lead whyyyyyyyy you chose that prickly bratty childish guy over this gentleman over here?!... but I must have outgrown it because it doesn't bother me as much as before anymore. I have learned that's the way most Kdramas are written and no point losing hair and sleep over it. Anyway, I'm fine with HJP not ending up with DM because I also don't think of DM too highly that she deserves him, haha, sorry to DM's fans. HJP deserves someone who adores him for who he is. For me, this show is about a growing journey for these young people, and HJP plays the pivotal role for their growth. We also see his growth because of interactions with these young people.

Another point. Most of the times, main posters are designed to attract viewers. So they will put the bigger names out there, whether or not they have lots of screen time in the story. Despicable marketing trick? Yes, but that's the way they can sell the drama better. I can understand why fans of Kang Ha Na are very disappointed with her limited screen time. This isn't the first in kdramaland, and it will not be the last either.

My favourite part of ep.13-14 is that the original 5 member of SST are back working together. I really love seeing them again as a team. And then why DM loves DS hand is also shown. Now I understand why she is touched by the hand that held hers when she is about to give in to her fate of being discovered lying. It's not so much of the big size, but the assuring feeling she got when he pulled her hand back and nestled it in his. That's when she fell for him.

Gosh, I ended up writing so much. Better stop here for now :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I've been struggling to keep my eyes open this afternoon at work and @Chocolate your summoning managed to keep me from head-desking my table. Have you seen The Swoon's videos on the below? It didn't cover everything about kdramas, but I do think it provides some more insights. Sarah and Jen have been around for a long time and are the OG and founders of Dramabeans so they know the Kdrama 101 fairly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txodQw7vDb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMUL2HkyIDs&t=523s

There was a website long ago that talks about the live shooting and the Whys too. I found those very insightful and helps better understand how the kdrama land works. Unfortunately I didn't save the link. I also found an article that explain the difference between the ratings for cable tv against the Big 3. It's a good read because I often see fans comparing shows (due to their biases) and going about it all wrong.

---

@Chocolate Hahaha are you still hoping there's a twist at the end and Dalmi will be with Ji Pyeong?

@ktcjdrama Are you sure it's the kiss only? Hahahahahaha! Coz my boy kissed the FL but she ended up with his Dad.

---

May I know whether you guys are still finding Start-Up fun to watch? Because I still find it more engaging (and fun) than the other dramas I am currently watching, and I'm not bored at all. I still like certain aspect of this show even though it is flawed. I like the cameraderie of the OG Samsan Tech, that they all automatically gathered together to help Dalmi. I like that Suzy was emoting really well in the scene when Do San called her. I also liked the scene where she went to find him and enjoyed the emotional tension. I felt the Feels. Obviously I also like the scene of Ji Pyeong at Halmoni's house. I would have loved it if there were more. Least to say I was disappointed to hear Dalmi saying he only goes eat and then leave. I was also happy to see that Yong San had learnt from the mistake and this time decided to not only see CEO Yoon and also Ji Pyeong. I'm also glad that nothing happened to Halmoni (touch wood!).

However, like you guys I also don't understand just exactly why or how bad the cracks in the family that led to In Jae not even visit Halmoni for 3-4 years that she was back in Korea. I don't recall Halmoni was being biased towards her when they were young? So it didn't make sense for her to be so cold-hearted (or she feels ashamed because she left so she didn't think she has the right to visit?) or being told about her eye-sight.

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

At least Dosan's cousin is quite established after 3 years - he has his own studio now with staff!

His cousin is actually very smart. Investing in that 1% - his return is still very big if it succeeds. And not much loss for him if it didn't.

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

And I will be sure to scrutinise the poster before I start a drama again

Not just the posters, but the promotional materials, the actors' background (agencies) & celebrity status. :laugh:

P.S. Dang it. That Best Couple Award thingie is going to spark fan wars again.

*Yawn a 100000 times now...

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
25 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

---

@Chocolate Hahaha are you still hoping there's a twist at the end and Dalmi will be with Ji Pyeong?

@ktcjdrama Are you sure it's the kiss only? Hahahahahaha! Coz my boy kissed the FL but she ended up with his Dad.

---

May I know whether you guys are still finding Start-Up fun to watch?

Thanks @mademoiselle for the materials. Will definitely view/read.

Nah, I thought it would be open ending because I was mindful that SL doesn't get the girl but didn't see how the last few episodes can change Jidal minds. And it can't. But now they show them so love each other, then they should be together. If suddenly the twist at the last episode is somehow that Dalmi likes Jipyeong, I don't think I would be convinced too.

I do wonder how NJH feels when KSH is getting so much better reviews and popularity votes.

But ewwwww, what show is that where the FL ends up with the dad? Is it legal? Hahaha.

I still enjoy watching the show, but have lowered my expectations that it will be superficial and a bit "slapstick". So yes, still better than a lot of the others where I don't even feel like starting. But it won't make it into the list of dramas to recommend.

Spoiler

@mademoiselle Yes, I was aware regarding MOTA. But since I was not a PSH fan, it didn't bother me although I liked them together. But if I was a PSH fan, I think I would be quite pissed off too. Her role was not substantial and she was always crying lol. So they misled people by marketing the drama as a romance. But PSH herself knew it so she has some responsibility in that too.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
12 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I do wonder how NJH feels when KSH is getting so much better reviews and popularity votes.

That’s another thing too... I think the writer didn’t expect HJP to get that much love. KSH really made the character lovable. 

It’s not the first time NJH experienced another male lead getting more limelight. So I think it’s probably not a big deal for him. (Ref. School 2015)

27 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Are you sure it's the kiss only? Hahahahahaha! Coz my boy kissed the FL but she ended up with his Dad.

Usually so... hahahaa... not applicable for affairs themed dramas though, lol... And which drama are you talking about? I am curious! 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

38 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Not sure too, probably would feel the same like any normal human being would. However I don't think he needs to worry too much since his career path is different to KSH's. NJH is perhaps more established already in certain aspects in terms of CF endorsement and getting his foot in Chungmuro (he has one movie coming up with Han Ji Min) whereas KSH just had his first CF endorsement and and hasn't expanded towards movies. Regardless of how underrated Ji Pyeong is, it is helping KSH's career now. It'll be similar to when people rave about how KSH and JJH were in The Thieves but when I watched the movie only then I realised they weren't even the main leads. The big shots were actually Kim Hye Soo, Halmoni, Lee Jung Jae etc. But the success of the movie helps propel KSH and JJH to fame & become more well-known.

Spoiler

Yep I was the same. The romance was not absolutely necessary for the premise of MOTA although I think it was just nice & not overly focus on it. The writer said she has let PSH know in advance and PSH agreed although no one will know the truth since PSH didn't come out to confirm. It's pretty much a business deal like ktcjdrama said. PSH gets to put the success of MOTA, HB and writer's name on her resume and the production uses her fame for marketing. Win-Win. And because of this "drama", now I'm curious how the collaboration and screen time split will be with Jo Seung Woo in their upcoming drama.

26 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

It’s not the first time NJH experienced another male lead getting more limelight. So I think it’s not a big deal for him. 

LOLLL true... were you talking about School? Ok, you were talking about School. However that was when NJH just debuted so I think it would sting more now. But in general I feel sad every time a good show split viewers up and they fight because I see the actors getting along so well and are good friends but their fans are duking each other out online. Over what? A drama. Not even real. :jiminbtssigh:

26 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Usually so... hahahaa... not applicable for affairs themed dramas though, lol... And which drama are you talking about? I am curious! 

I am referring to Hit the Top. Although now that I think about it maybe ML and FL kissed first (accident). Does the sequence matter? :laugh:@Chocolate It is legal. Time travelling is involved LOL.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 5