You Are My Hero / You're My City & Fortress 你是我的城池营垒 [2021]

A new interview with BJT about YAMH.

Rough translation on the main points.

Q1: how did you prepare for the role physically?

BJT said that he initially thought he should buff up more. But when he went to train with the SWAT police, he realized that they are super lean, because they had lots of cardio training everyday. So before the shooting, he was focusing on reducing his BMI. He said his BMI reached the historical low at that point.

Q2: Many people love the SWAT+Doctor setting. How about you?

BJT said that he didn't think much about it when he got the script. He only thought about it as two professions from an acting point of view. But these two professions will lead to big dramatic encounters due to the nature of them.

Then the host asked him about the scene where he was eating instant noodle and watching Go Go Squid. He said that in reality he was acting in front of a blank screen. He only knew which drama it was when that scene aired.

Q3: When you acted in the scene where you went to buy tank top for MK, were you embarrassed or shy? 

BJT said he was not because he knew that it was shooting. But the awkward part was that that was the first scene they shot outside the closed environment (the SWAT camp), so they were afraid that people would take pictures and spoil the scene. If the first and only pictures that came out were from a bra shop, it would be a bit weird. (hahahaha)

Q4: How do you feel about working with MSC?

BJT: I think her acting is really good, very natural. Same as expected. We had lots of improvisations during the shooting, and we  react well to each other's improvisation.

Host then asked if you would design details yourself.

BJT: yes, quite a bit. We would improvise small things at the shooting, including lines. For instance, I remember well this scene of hers where shed called my name:" Xing Kelei, Xing Kelei, Xing Kelei". She designed it on the spot, and it was not in the script. That was such a moving and fluttering moment, and it was her improvisation. Also later on in lots of dating scenes, she would provide her views from a women's point, and suggest changes.

Q5: Many XKL's scenes (such as writing lines on the hand, silent salute at the earthquake site) got very popular. Will you communicate with the director about designing these details beforehand?

BJT: First, our director respects the actors' feedback and thoughts very much. Any good improvisation we have at the shooting, he would consider and say yes, let's do it. He supports many of our points. Actually, the cheat cheat on the hand scene was not in the script. But I thought, as a SWAT police with not much dating experiences, such an act will reveal his nerdy-ness, his dorky-ness while being very caring. And it is very funny and it a very different act. So I asked the director if we could add this detail and he said yes right away. The silent salute scene was not in the script either, but the scene where we say take care and I salute kept appearing in my head from when we started shooting to when this was actually shot. Finally, that day, I told the director that today might be the best day to shoot this scene and asked him if we can add this detail. I think that this scene will reflect the special nature of police and doctor profession, the tension between the work and the relationship, at that crucial moment. The director said yes right away and we finished this scene very quick and it was very nice. 

(I have to run, so no time to translate the last question, but it was about how they make fun of the name of the drama as a way to advertise the drama).

Just want to shout out to the two actors!!! The scenes we love so much are their improvisation - no wonder this drama can be so good!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Party! 1

Done with the two new episodes.

I think these two are more like the transition phase before next block of plots, both regarding the main couple and the second couple.

Regarding the main couple, the hospital scene where Mika was mad at XKL for getting hurt is really fun. Then the hug outside the hospital is very moving. I feel that I always prefer hugging scenes. For XKL, it is hard for him to accept the disease because he cannot see himself being anything other than a SWAT police. I really like the scene where he was at the intersection thinking about what just happened, while everyone else is moving around him... very nice shot... 

And Wenbo.... it is too frustrating! I don't really understand why he hesitates so much. I feel when he says "his only friends are the ones from the SWAT squad", he is suggesting that he doesn't want to hurt the feelings of Lu Feng? But that also does not make much sense.... It is good that Xiao Xia has given up on him, because he needs to be the one doing the chasing now. I hope Xiao Xia makes him chase hard!!! I think the character of Xiao Xia is written quite well. She knows what she wants and is always transparent about her feelings. I also like how she treats Lu Feng - no is a no, and I will not give you any room for interpretation. 

Yanshan... oh well... As someone who needs to research, I think deleting someone's data is really unacceptable!!!! I like the speech Dr. Shao gave her. In Cdrama, they tend to get too preachy when it comes to professional scenes. I remember rolling my guys a couple times in previous episodes (maybe I am prejudiced;-)). But the lines here are really good, and I was moved. 

Edit: how to add gif to a post besides using URL? Can you upload? For some reason, URL doesn't work for me....

Edited by Xiaopz_pj
  • Like 4

I think we’re at episode 16? 

ANYWAY, IT WAS THE DATING EPISODES. MY HEART :eeeee:but when he said “nice working with me you” I was like.... this isn’t rated 8+ drama. 

also it was a bit predictable to me when he told her why he didn’t want to tell her that it was him who saved her. Like i legit guessed his reason in the prior episode because we watched as a group and although the reason the was predictable, by hearing it, it makes my heart melt like better. I am waiting to catch up with all the episodes tonight. 

side note: i just love it how everyone knew they liked each other except them and when they started to date, nobody was even surprised :love:

i need a doctor Shao for me. 

Edited by AwkwarDerp
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

currently watching: Love Me Love My Voice, A Journey To Love

currently translating: The Legend of Jewelry 

11 hours ago, Xiaopz_pj said:

And Wenbo.... it is too frustrating! I don't really understand why he hesitates so much. I feel when he says "his only friends are the ones from the SWAT squad", he is suggesting that he doesn't want to hurt the feelings of Lu Feng? But that also does not make much sense.... It is good that Xiao Xia has given up on him, because he needs to be the one doing the chasing now. I hope Xiao Xia makes him chase hard!!! I think the character of Xiao Xia is written quite well. She knows what she wants and is always transparent about her feelings. I also like how she treats Lu Feng - no is a no, and I will not give you any room for interpretation. 

i was like....so what if your bro like the girl....the girl dont like LuFeng and just see him as a buddy / friend....

i dont understand this concept to be honest.....we girls / guys are not 'things' to be push here and there.....if you dont like me then stop showing concern, one minute he show concern, one minute he avoid you....

i really wanna tell the guy 'GET REAL' or "WAKE UP", no one wait forever for YOU!

• Haha 2

Alrighty... I just caught the last couple of episodes and they were full of good stuff as usual. Except for Shu Wenbo who is the resident idiot, a moron, imbecile, fool... etc etc. Such a frustrating character. The sort of character that you want to do serious violence to. I'm not sure what he's thinking and I'm not sure I want to know either. It's probably something illogical like he doesn't feel good enough for her or that he's afraid that he can't make her happy because of his job. 

I'm relieved that Xiao Xia has decided to move on. The last thing I want to see is an intelligent attractive woman sit around pining over a man who is too dumb to realise what's his missing out on. What's also good is that she's made things clear with Lu Feng and not using him as a rebound or a way to get Wenbo to change his mind.

Aside from the all-too-brief scenes between the leads, my most favourite part of the show is when Dr Shao takes Yanshan down. The entire episode of her deleting Mi Ka's essay followed up by the confrontation between the classmates was pretty low and revealed her own inner securities while also demonstrating her tendency to project. Everything she accused Mi Ka of was far more true of herself, Yanshan. Of course Dr Shao is no fool and saw through her ulterior motives from the start which is why he had always rejected her overtures. More than just being a skilled surgeon, he is a decent man. What he said was spot on. Being a good doctor is much more than academic excellence, it also goes to character because ultimately the patient's needs come first. He can objectively say that she's an outstanding mind but point to the fact that what Mi Ka's has going for her is her courage to give her all for her patients. That makes all the difference in the world.

Yanshan's problem was always with Dr Shao but she took it out on Mi Ka in cowardly fashion. The right thing should have been her going to Dr Shao and asking him why the seeming favouritism shown towards Mi Ka. But this lack of courage is what allowed the resentment to build and boil over into dishonesty. And that's often the case. 

People think that teachers show favouritism and may be that's sometimes the case. But the reality is that everybody is different and that teachers respond to some students differently because a) the teacher is human b) the students have very different needs. Some students need a lot more help than others. Some students are far more independent than others. If inclusive learning is actually a thing (in practice it's far more problematic), than treating every student "the same" doesn't work. This is one of the biggest unspoken problems in education in my view.

It's interesting that Yanshan accuses Mi Ka of breaking the rules of the game. Well, the question is what game? Wasn't she the one trying to game the system by currying the supervisor's favour with gifts of food? Despite the fact that every one knows her abilities. Unfortunately it didn't work for her because the guy in charge has integrity. This is her lesson in the classroom of life. Don't be too self-centred and introspective. Medicine is more than you getting accolades and achievements. Medicine is ultimately about the patients.

For Xing Kelei, I think the lesson he has to learn is regarding his own frailty. It isn't just about the unpredictability of life which I'm sure he's quite accustomed to in his job. It's such a crucial thing for us all especially in light of Covid-19 responses that we accept that it is impossible to control everything in life. This is the real test for the accomplished man who is good at everything and has everything. When all goes well it's easy to be good and nice, do everything well. But when the prospect that you might not be able to pursue your lifelong passion to the very end, what becomes the measure of a man? Can he be flexible and adaptable enough to find his way out? The problem won't be with Mi Ka because she likes the man not the heroic cop but he may be concerned that he can't be her knight in shining armour.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Once again, thank you so much for the translations, @Xiaopz_pj!! :heart:

I'm happy to hear that a lot of the scenes we loved were improvised. That just shows how incredibly talented Ma Sichun and Bai Jingting are as well as how much of a team this entire cast/crew were. I'm glad the director took their feedback and allowed them to do this. I can't imagined what this drama would be like without those scenes. 

13 hours ago, Xiaopz_pj said:

Regarding the main couple, the hospital scene where Mika was mad at XKL for getting hurt is really fun. Then the hug outside the hospital is very moving. I feel that I always prefer hugging scenes. For XKL, it is hard for him to accept the disease because he cannot see himself being anything other than a SWAT police. I really like the scene where he was at the intersection thinking about what just happened, while everyone else is moving around him... very nice shot... 

These two were my favorite scenes too. As much as I enjoyed it when the leads finally kiss, I tend to like hugs and forehead kisses more. I find them to be very endearing. 

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'm not sure what he's thinking and I'm not sure I want to know either. It's probably something illogical like he doesn't feel good enough for her or that he's afraid that he can't make her happy because of his job. 

Either this or because Lu Feng is the only other friend he has besides his SWAT team, he doesn't want to go after someone a friend already announced they liked.

Like everyone said, I'm glad that Dr. Shao addressed the issue with Yanshan. When she kept referring to it as a game to Mi Ka, I had no idea what she was talking about. Since when does improving your skills so you can continue to save lives considered a game? 

I won't comment on Wenbo anymore because my brain hurts. :jiminbtssigh:

Here's the YT video for the previews of episode 29-31:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

wow....KeYao sang for YAMH :wow: i really like the KeYao they give us in YAMH....

@Xiaopz_pj i finished the books yesterday and i can honestly tell you i really like the drama alot better.....hahaha even in the book Xing KeLei is way older and more mature....and his temper is also more explosive......and Mika is more innocent.....

the Xing KeLei we see in the drama is way more calm and not as explosive, however he is much more cheeky in term....though 1 thing for sure, when both fall for Mika, they went all the way out.....

Mika in the drama is more independent and more job oriented, while she might be a little clueless when it come to Xing KeLei reaction, she is also more responsive and did things more calmly than it is in the book

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

wow....KeYao sang for YAMH :wow: i really like the KeYao they give us in YAMH....

It's this song! I was wondering when they were going to release it! Even better knowing it was sang by Keyao. :heart:

I'm glad the drama is much better than the book. Haha!

Today's photos:

JkjKw99.jpg

8RlGwYL.jpg

Spoiler

QHJLVif.jpg

tNk0FDk.jpg

EUB3oul.jpg

HeMKIn7.jpg

NEbombc.jpg

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Tofu said:

It's this song! I was wondering when they were going to release it! Even better knowing it was sang by Keyao. :heart:

I'm glad the drama is much better than the book. Haha!

btw....did you know that in the book KeYao is the younger sister and also at the same times she is a single mother....

her intended die on duty or some sickness i cant remember now.....damn my memories lols before they got married and LiNian is actually the intended's younger brother who had been taking care of KeYao after his brother passing.....

LiNian in the book is also a police officer / SWAT and not in the army with with KeLei....

in the book he is also more stable and not the joker he is in the drama.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
14 hours ago, Xiaopz_pj said:

I hope they'll explain more in the coming episodes why he's like that because I find it somewhat unacceptable if LF is the only reason.

45 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

wow....KeYao sang for YAMH :wow: 

She has great voice! I think her vocal range was perfect for the song.

I won't comment on Wenbo anymore because my brain hurts. :jiminbtssigh:

I dedicate the song Just Once by James Ingram to RQX. I'm lost for words at the moment regarding SWB. 

Edited by Olivia Kate
  • Haha 3

Preview for Episode 30 - 31!!! finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lols...so we get to see KeLei finally able to calm down enough to listen to Mika why his shooting isnt hitting the mark 100% like it use to.....

and also in the later part where he tried stay and take a shower in the same house and when Mika said he does has his clothes with him at her sides, he very magically has his clothes appeared!!! lols hahahahahah

• Heart Eyes 3

@NiteWalker You are lightning speed with the novel.... :-)))) 

I guess the adaptation made things more simple and probably easier for the audience, and more relatable as well. For instance, I saw another clip of interview with BJT where he talked about XKL's personality. He said that in reality, those SWAT police are like this: they are very serious when at work, but in personal life, they can be cute and soft. They may be awkward but they are always sincere. 

BTW, I really like this poster!

spacer.png

Edited by Xiaopz_pj
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
6 minutes ago, Xiaopz_pj said:

@NiteWalker You are lightning speed with the novel.... :-)))) 

I guess the adaptation made things more simple and probably easier for the audience, and more relatable as well. For instance, I saw another clip of interview with BJT where he talked about XKL's personality. He said that in reality, those SWAT police are like this: they are very serious when at work, but in personal life, they can be cute and soft. They may be awkward but they are always sincere. 

well i need my feed on KeLei and Mika....and honestly the novel did fill up the gap a little for me....

actually the soft parts of SWAT / Police actually sometimes keep them alive....there are things we cant imagine that they had to went thru...

yes the drama adaptions make it more towards the common things that we might seen in life.....and its easier to handle for them i guess....not to mention that they also include the natural disaster that we are facing more frequent nowadays....and those issues ppl might face when they had to went thru them

• Like 3

spacer.png

Just want to post this picture here. Bai Jingting posted it on Weibo captioned "don't worry. I am fine."

Xing Kelei might be one of my favorite (if not the favorite) MLs in drama land (Fan Xian from Joy of Life is a close call ;-)). He is not perfect by any means, but as far as boyfriend goes, he is really that good... plus, he is just too handsome. :-))))))

I like how despite some hesitation, he came to the right way to handle the situation. I guess what Mika said about being responsible to people who trust you by taking care of yourself did the trick. There are not many OTP scenes in these two episodes, but they are all so previous. I really like the one when she told her that she will always by his side, he teased her "of course, otherwise what else would you do?", and the scene on the bus. They are still awkward, but given the context, it felt extra warm. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

i thought u want ChenTao? How many u intent to take lols

I CAN'T CHOOSE, I love how gentle he is with everyone but at the same time, he knows who he should be strict and straightforward with to avoid miscommunication. 

I finally got two 20? (I honestly don't remember where I ended) but it was their one hour date, super cute and the encounter with the sister was hilarious. I love it.

CAN I JUST SAY I AM HEARTBROKEN FOR CHEN TAO, when he waited for several hours at the fountain waiting for Yan Shan to come, THEN TO SEE HER MAKING DINNER PLAN WITH Dr. SHAO. Now, in these situations, hopefully she's not gonna be a Barbie Girl and blame it on Dr. Shao (oh he wanted me to work overtime) or come up with some dumb excuse that would persuade Chen Tao to forgive because I definitely WOULD NOT! My poor Chen Tao. 

SHU WENBO'S ROMANCE FRUSTRATED ME SO MUCH (in a bad way) it's like I get he's insecure but at the same time, they both love each other but there's a like a wall that Shu Wenbo need to CLIMB FREAKING OVER. I honestly love everyone in this drama, well except for Yan Shan, LOL like i don't know why she's there, scenes over, your job here is done, please go home and don't come back until the drama is done. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

currently watching: Love Me Love My Voice, A Journey To Love

currently translating: The Legend of Jewelry