Movie Recommendations List

abnoch

My most recent movie was Tenet. I thought that was pretty intriguing. I think I do like Chris Nolan's work. Inception, Interstellar and even the Dark Knight.

Did any of you watch Tenet? 

I did not know till later he was Denzel Washington's son

• Like 8

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

Well, you already know I'm recommending Enola Holmes. Since you wanted Korean movies, the following pop up in my mind:

1. EXIT - Jo Jung Seok and Yoona

Exit_(Korean_Movie)-p2.jpg

2. Time Renegades - Jo Jung Seok, Lee Jin Wook & Im Soo Jung

Time_Renegade-p1.jpg

3. Okay Madam

Okay_Madam-P1.jpg

3rd one is new, I'm not sure it is available in Eng subs. It's entertaining and light.

@abs-oluteM Tenet is on the "To watch list" when available *ahem* or when I'm out of house arrest, hahahaha.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@abs-oluteM Tenet is def on my watchlist. Though I see on RT its not reaching certified fresh, kinda questioning why. Where you watched it? 

@mademoisellesia oh I really like Exit. I discovered it through movie comments channel in YT called CineCrib. Roughly I follow what Kmovies they talked. Watched also Kim ji young and love the act

Edited by abnoch
  • Like 8

f-150-st-steam.png

@mademoisellesia @abnoch in Malaysia the cinemas are open but with a lot of social distancing rules in place. So we have to wear mask etc and sit one seat apart . So I got to watch it in the cinema. 

I was confused initially , and after I finished it took me a while to process. But the idea while is not super original was told in a fresh way though. After you watch it , you read this article

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a33753331/tenet-explained-ending/#:~:text=Tenet (a title that refers,recruited him in the future.

• Like 7

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

Ooo I quite enjoyed Time Renegades @mademoisellesia...

Since I am on a Kim Min Jae phase...I did like this very cute k movie called Love Sling. KMJ plays a young boxer who's in love with his best girlfriend. But lady love decides to fall for his father instead. As makjang sounding as this is , it was actually fun and lighthearted...and somewhat a coming of age drama. 

Are cinemas opened where you are @abnoch?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Oh I forgot, I watched Love Sling too @abs-oluteM! I really think I have goldfish memory. I thought I didn't watch many movies lately but now that I think about it...😅

LMAO. You and I both attach the same preview clip!!!

I'm not sure whether you'll like it @abnoch and whether or not it is your style, but there are some heartwarming parts between the father & son. It's so-so but definitely not the kind that'll make you feel like you've wasted time watching.

• Like 7

Agreed @mademoisellesia it isn't one of those award winning sort but okay for a rainy day & a light watch... yes @abnoch LSK does fall for the father :shocked:.ahahahah 

Any good movies you'd recommend?

Anyone watched Mulan? I hear mix reviews

• Like 5

@abs-oluteM girl, really.. Thats why you said it is makjang? Haha

forgot to add answer if theater opens or not. Last time I checked at the end of August it still closed & im thankful if it is still (in here)

Recently watched Parasite, The Platform, 1917, Marriage Story, Knives Out, Game Night. Its all recommendable.

Bad Education (Hugh Jackman), Official Secrets (Keira Knightley), Transit still left in my watchlist.

Edited by abnoch
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 2

f-150-st-steam.png

1 hour ago, abnoch said:

@abs-oluteM @mademoisellesia haha thanks. Dont mind me since the main topic it is about your likings. But that Love+Sling, so that young girl played by Lee Sung Kyung fall in love with the father?

She seems like she is in love with him but I think it's just a crush. What do you think @abs-oluteM?

57 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Anyone watched Mulan? I hear mix reviews

I did. Visual presentation-wise, it's beautifully filmed. The actor playing Mulan's father was very good and touched my heart a few times. Other than that I didn't like it. The pace is very slow. It also trying to make it like a Wuxia film so you see them grabbing an arrow with their empty hand. Sis said that's normal in Wuxia novels but for me, it is too ridiculous. In there they talk about Qi (or Ki in Japanese) as if it is like magic or liken to the Star War's force too so Mulan is like the Chinese version of the Jedi or something, LOL. I think it is a Chinese movie made for Westerners to watch more so than keeping it close and true to Chinese. This is, I supposed, the part I admire about Korean movies and dramas, even though they tried to get Korean contents into the international market, they didn't cater the contents to suit Westerners (this was recently very well-said/highlighted by DB on The Swoon).

Edit: In addition, the famous veterans like Gong Li, Jet Li and Donnie Yen didn't really play a big part. They technically just lend their names to sell the movie.

Edited by mademoisellesia
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Some movies I've watched recently (they are not 'new' films) :

I recommend both! Haha

This one is a heartwarming one with quite a few bits of humour:

spacer.png

This one if you enjoy action. All the actions scenes were wonderfully shot because the director is a stuntman IIRC. Some shots and directing for the action scenes were so crazily good.

spacer.png

Edited by im0202
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
7 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

She seems like she is in love with him but I think it's just a crush. What do you think @abs-oluteM?

I too thought it was a crush...but I had to say i laughed my head off

Spoiler

when she was all ready to be KMJ's mother :laugh:..

ooo @im0202...Extraction. Forgot about that one.

Actually the one movie I am hoping to get a review for is this one..

I know it won awards etc...so I wanna how how heavy it is . I think I saw @lifeisfullofdrama tweet about it

@abnoch ooo I just read up about Bad Education, think I will watch that one. I forgot about Marriage Story. But I also know it is rather sad

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@abs-oluteM Bahahahahahaha, yes! I think I snorted (either internally or both). And she expects blessing from uri Min Jae. Pooor thing was screaming all the way home. It's done in such a comedy way I can't even take her seriously, LOL.

Kim Ji Young, Born in 1982 - It's not too heavy for me however I think it might be heavier on the heart for those who relates to her. I think people liked it because they find it relatable. She represents women who got married, had kids and became a housewife and are treated unfairly by in-laws, and were unable to work like they used to be.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2

Kim Ji Young takes aim into the common woman life here in old culture (or it still, i hope not) contains much of trash man that forget every human being is precious and needs to be judged fair whether it is a man or a woman. Its quite relatable in the country too, so it shoots

I like they also take the view from the husband perspective that he knows it is wrong but turns indecisive and coward within the majority (that also his beloved origin family)

Watch it @abs-oluteM, it's quite heartbreaking facts in soft process

Edited by abnoch
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 2

f-150-st-steam.png

1 hour ago, wallflowersforjane said:

I highly highly recommend Jojo Rabbit! It tells such a difficult story with so much heart and humour, but yet you never forget the underlying difficulties that permeated that period of time.

Up. Jojo Rabbit is GREAT satire. I agree with the audience score on RT. It hits what a positivity should like, not mostly like now, we have much toxic positivity around the society.

Edited by abnoch
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

f-150-st-steam.png

Exit is the first one come to my mind. 

I watched this just to kill time, but it's unexpectedly highly entertaining. The action, comedy all are top notch! I seldom watch movies, but this one is super recommended. 

Love Lies is a very aesthetic movies. Relatable but also unpredictable. I have watched many dramas & movies and seldom involved my emotion on them. But this one left me with some stabbing pain on my heart. You have been warned lol. This movie not for a weak heart. 

Perfect Proposal another impressive movies from YYS. Interesting plot, highly unusual. Btw this have beautiful dance scenes too. @abs-oluteM

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

2 hours ago, wallflowersforjane said:

highly highly recommend Jojo Rabbit!

Oh my gosh I loved this one!!! Laughed so much at some parts but there were scenes that just made me bawl my eyes out. Of course being a satire sort of piece it was more funny than sad. One of the better movies I saw last year (or was it beginning of this year?) Lol this year is starting to blend into one big mess - I’ve kind of lost track a bit :nervous:

Taika Waititi has a lot of gems. Hunt for the Wilderpeople and What We Do In the Shadows are my other favourites.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Star Struck 2
2 hours ago, im0202 said:

One of the better movies I saw last year (or was it beginning of this year?) Lol this year is starting to blend into one big mess - I’ve kind of lost track a bit

I watched it in January! Pretty sure it was this year. 

Have you been back to cinemas to watch anything since it re-opened? I haven't yet. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wallflowersforjane said:

Have you been back to cinemas to watch anything since it re-opened? I haven't yet. 

Me neither! I was tempted by Tenet but didn’t go in the end. Black Widow is a sure-go for me but then it’s been pushed back (AGAIN!:/) to next May.

Next movie I’m tempted by to watch in theatres is this:

spacer.png

Enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express so I’m quite excited for this as well. Helps that I didn’t read the books so I’m totally guessing just based on what the movie shows me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
4 minutes ago, im0202 said:

Me neither! I was tempted by Tenet but didn’t go in the end. Black Widow is a sure-go for me but then it’s been pushed back (AGAIN!:/) to next May.

I thought I would do it with Mulan but then I saw the not-so-great reviews so I decided to skip it. I saw the news of the Marvel delays, what a disappointment that every movie is pushed back too and the MCU is at a stand-still (btw I don't watch them, but I like reading about it. :D )

• Like 6

On 9/25/2020 at 3:43 PM, mademoisellesia said:

Well, you already know I'm recommending Enola Holmes. Since you wanted Korean movies, the following pop up in my mind:

just finished Enola Holmes, not super satisfied but Millie is such a sweetheart. Plus, I know I sound like a cougar but oh my, Louis Partridge is quite a nice young man, khem. 

I can recommend on Netflix Dark Desire (Oscuro Deseo) - it's a very, very good Mexican psycho-thriller. The actors are amazing and the whole plot is intriguing. Can't wait for the next season! :cool:

Oscuro-Deseo.jpg?fit=1200,960&ssl=1

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1