Our Beloved Summer 그 해 우리는 [2021-2022]

I echo everyone's sentiments about what a gem this show is. It is not a complicated story in a sense but I like the way the story is told and like @ktcjdrama mentioned earlier the way they blend past & present is seamless. Every episode you find yourself learning more about what happened , and the more we discover the more we realise that this relationship is worth saving. Sometimes , I just feel like they are two people who are right for each other but perhaps the timing then was not. 

Reading what @Mouse said definitely gave me better perspective of NJ. Do you notice two very blunt and frank girls tend to be attracted to Woong? 

@Alice Wonderlandwhat I like most from the latest stills is that YS goes to his parents restaurant. For me this is the first time she is doing something with him that is not work related ( on the pretext of visiting his parents I suppose) 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Time between episodes always feel like an eternity :pandasipsip: Glad the wait will finally be over tomorrow. 

I just watch the scene where YS sees him draw for the first time over and over again. I hope we see him draw again later in the show again. 

And of course I listen to the OST pretty much all day. 

Based on the stills, they seem to make so many steps already, that NJ's disruption may be completely ineffective. She really needs to get a purpose. NJ could have been the perfect counterpart to YS. Rich, supportive, she could have opened a totally different world to Choi Ung, a world where he can openly be this long sleeping carefree guy. Pretty much everything that YS is not, including famous. And over time he would slowly realize that's not what he wants. 

But as of now, CU is still so obsessed with YS, his love towards her is clear as day. What in the world could NJ do to change this. Everything will just bounce off without effect. 

Sigh.......she's so pretty though :pandablush:

7 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@Alice Wonderlandwhat I like most from the latest stills is that YS goes to his parents restaurant. For me this is the first time she is doing something with him that is not work related ( on the pretext of visiting his parents I suppose) 

The question I ask myself is, did she go there with the intention of meeting him or did she just wanted to visit the restaurant/parents and he happened to be there. Because normally she would just go to his home to see him. 

Edited by Dhakra
  • Like 5
19 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

his love towards her is clear as day. What in the world could NJ do to change this. Everything will just bounce off without effect. 

:laugh: that is the destiny of second female lead mostly in every stories.

@Dhakra Maybe she visits her as his mother invited her last time during the live drawing event. And I think she met him by chance in the library or bookstore before that. 

• Like 5

I loved episodes 5 and 6. I will admit that in the beginning, I had some doubt on how Yeon Su’s character would be written out, but I kept hope that her mean and cold façade would eventually be explained. So, I was really pleased when Yeon Su revealed and acknowledged that her tough exterior is her own defense mechanism to hide her insecurities. If she is conscious and aware of it, it tells me that she is capable of change (for the better).

It crossed my mind whether her reason for breaking up with Ung may be borderline noble idiocy, but I am leaning toward not. I am a firm believer that you need to love yourself first, to love someone else. Her feelings of inferiority, shame and anxiety that we saw of her in the past were not healthy for herself, nor their relationship. So, the break-up was inevitable. I am rooting for her and Ung to ultimately get back together, but before it happens, I am cheering for Yeon Su to overcome her insecurities and to find herself worthy and deserving of things, including love.

By the way, did it seem part of the reason why Yeon Su broke-up with Ung was because she overhead him giving up the opportunity to study overseas for a few years? Ung had mentioned to the professor that he did not want to go or do it alone. I interpreted as he gave it up to stay by Yeon Su. In addition to the hardships in her personal life, I think she felt underserving of Ung doing so for her.

Ung’s mother meeting Yeon Su again at the drawing competition was one of favorite scenes so far. That moment felt special, especially when Ung’s mother reached out to hold Yeon Su’s hand. You can tell she is very fond of Yeon Su (even after knowing how difficult the break-up was for Ung). Her reception toward Yeon Su tells me that she believes Yeon Su is a good person and is worthy of her son.

Is it really the end of LJH’s cameos? He was perfect as Director Jang. (Can't wait to hear of his next project!)

I got to somewhat know Choi Woo Shik from the reality show, Youn’s Stay. He has a really adorable personality. His Youn’s Stay castmates mentioned that he suffers from insomnia in real life so it’s interesting that Choi Ung does too. I agree with everyone that he is so attractive when he is drawing and in deep concentration.

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3
2 hours ago, peperomia said:

By the way, did it seem part of the reason why Yeon Su broke-up with Ung was because she overhead him giving up the opportunity to study overseas for a few years? Ung had mentioned to the professor that he did not want to go or do it alone. I interpreted as he gave it up to stay by Yeon Su. In addition to the hardships in her personal life, I think she felt underserving of Ung doing so for her.

Ung’s mother meeting Yeon Su again at the drawing competition was one of favorite scenes so far. That moment felt special, especially when Ung’s mother reached out to hold Yeon Su’s hand. You can tell she is very fond of Yeon Su (even after knowing how difficult the break-up was for Ung). Her reception toward Yeon Su tells me that she believes Yeon Su is a good person and is worthy of her son.

I was thinking that this could also the reason made her determine to break him up. I love the moment she becomes the tutor for her lazy boyfriend. Haha, he seems reluctant to study but because he loves her he listen to her. Loved the moment she was more anxious than him while checking their entrance exam result. And it reminds me to what mom said to him when he refused to film the documentary. Mom said it was his opportunoty to learn with a top student. Mom probably sees woong changed a lot better when he was with him before. And I think she becomes fond of her because she knows that she is a nice kid. 

2 hours ago, peperomia said:

His Youn’s Stay castmates mentioned that he suffers from insomnia in real life so it’s interesting that Choi Ung does too. I agree with everyone that he is so attractive when he is drawing and in deep

Did he? Ah, it's so relatable. I watched YS S1 and 2. I think I'd watch him later. I just saw some clips of it. Yes yes, he is! 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
8 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

:laugh: that is the destiny of second female lead mostly in every stories.

:pandasad:Yes, poor second leads.

3 hours ago, peperomia said:

I think it played a role indirectly, I think it played a role in the way that she realized what different kind of lives they have. Yeon Su has to work for everything, she needs to work hard to get even the slightest chances or oppoturnities. She lives a poor life, and to get away from this life, she has to work as hard as she can and can't relax. So when she saw that Choi Ung just passes an excellent opportunity to move on in life, she realized that they are completely different. He can just pass, because he doesn't need to worry. For him, it's no big deal to pass. 

So in a way, she did not break up with him because he declined and did not to it, but because she realized that they are completely different people. It was her pride, like she mentioned. 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

SBS released a short clip of the next episode :heart:

4 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Did he? Ah, it's so relatable. I watched YS S1 and 2. I think I'd watch him later. I just saw some clips of it. Yes yes, he is! 

Unfortunately yes, his insomnia was briefly mentioned in Youn's Stay. I believe he's been doing better now though. Here is a snippet from his interview with Vogue last year in which he talks about it:

Spoiler

https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/choi-woo-shik-revealed-once-lost-passion-acting/

The personal story was pretty emotional as he discussed a time in his career where he almost lost his passion for acting. The story came about when he was asked why he appeared on variety shows that revolved around healing:

Why do you keep appearing in ‘healing’ entertainment programs?

I probably told you about it during the Hunting Time interview. I changed. Because I wanted to do enough to play against my parents wishes, I had little stress while working before. The result of the work is also important, but I was happy with the process of preparing and filming. But the fun of the process gradually lessened. I also developed insomnia due to the pressure to act better and meet people’s expectations. As a result, people were crooked and pointed. I didn’t know what to pursue and it wasn’t like me. Whether it’s a movie, drama, or entertainment program, I wanted to enjoy the process and be happy. To do this long work that I love. So, rather than staying still, I participated in programs such as ‘Summer Vacation’ and ‘Yunsikdang’ and I am trying to consistently do my work in a way that does not damage the surroundings even though it is Corona 19.

— Choi Woo Shik

Edited by peperomia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, peperomia said:

By the way, did it seem part of the reason why Yeon Su broke-up with Ung was because she overhead him giving up the opportunity to study overseas for a few years? Ung had mentioned to the professor that he did not want to go or do it alone.

I also think this is the trigger. But I think whether or not there is YS in his life, Woong is not the kind of ambitious person who wants to leave his family for personal gain. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Our Beloved Event :hearties:

This drama has engaged our interest with its story of a seemingly alpha female and beta male OTP who have a much more complicated relationship than even they themselves may be aware of.

The framing device of having them be the subject of a documentary about the being the best student and the worst student during their high school days, then filming them later on their lives as well as what happened in the years in between also make for an intriguing story of a romance in real time as well as in their past.

So, we're having a points event to encourage everyone to post their sentiments and thoughts about this drama! Every post after this post will get points which will be awarded at the end of the event. Points may be used in the Member Shop. 

• Like 2
  • Party! 4
3 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

:pandablush: She is so pretty. She was also the first thing I saw today when I opened my Instagram. 

Hope she has plenty of scenes today.

She lost a bit of weight for this role judging from these photos. Yeah, I also hope she has a bit more scenes today (and meaningful one).

1 hour ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Yay! New ost teaser out and new episode tonight! I wonder wether the broadcaster will air quartet episodes for this week, you know TRS and SD aired 3 episodes this week. Why not OBS following it too, lols

Haha no. This one didn't fall on important events (X'mas) so no extra episodes. The Red Sleeve can't be flexible because another drama following it has already set its scheduled air time. I suspect MBC didn't want to air the episode on 31st because it'll be fighting for ratings with both KBS and SBS Drama Awards.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

Finished Eps 7. One of my favourite scenes Woon getting mad that she just won't open up, and he walked away this time. 

I am too tired to recap but I did love the preview since it seems so promising. Looks like the trip that has been forced on them produces significant results :hug:

YS to CW: I think I love you...... We're not going to break up. Just come back to me like you did today...

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Episode 7 is even much better. And today's NJ has more meaningful parts finally. I feel bad for her. She really need a sincere friend and Woong made her feel comfortable to talk with. I am so glad she didnt forgive those cyber bullies, they never stop and repent. The dont serve apology but they need a proper lesson. Like YS, NJ also hides her insecurity by acting as if nothing bother her. 

The title of this episode is quirky and funny. Catch me if you can hahaha, very thematic in each episodes. I like it.

Things work like peeling unions, each layer sliced, another story revealed. When a relationship falls out both parties are responsible for it. Seeing some childish side of woong probably becomes one of the reason he didn't realize what's the cause of their break up. Their past and present are like mirroring each other. I cant wait to see what's happened in 3 days to come.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Finally a new episode

Episode 7

• The elementary teacher is so cute :pandablush: No Dhakra, noooo, we focus on NJ in this drama. No elememtary teacher. Bad, bad Dhakra :laugh:
  • Choi Ung is half a ninja the way he sneaked out of his own home. This episode began really funny and with a lot of humor. Just the way how he stopped eating his snack was hilarious. 
  • I really hope Ji Ung and cutter girl have a small plot too, they really fit.
  • So NJ does volunteer work with haters who wrote bad comments about her, and all they do while working is to continue bad-mouthing about her. NJ really lives a tough life at times. I felt so bad for her after she heard everything. It's so malicious and mean. Poor NJ, it's lonely being on top. I understand why she likes the company of Choi Ung. 
  • Ung's mom was so happy to see YS. It was like the sun was rising for borh his parents when YS showed up.
  • Quite surprising though that he takes Yeon Su to his parents place, this could give away the wrong idea. Or maybe the right idea if he is trying to get back together with her.
    But if they wanted to have a place to talk quitely and sort things out, this is probably the worst place imaginable.
  •  Yeon Su really is bad at playing her hand. Now it looks like for Choi Ung that she moved on and doesn't have any feelings left. Maybe NJ will have a shot of YS continues to neglect her feelings. 
  • MAYBE IF I.....:pandablush: But not with him, he is so brave all of the sudden. Throwing his thoughts and feelings right in her face. I like it, he doesn't play around anymore. He is straight and honest. 
    "I'm really sick of this" was like a perfectly aimed arrow. It totally hit the right spot. 
  • @mademoiselleT-O-T-A-L-L-Y Team NJ :pandajustright: THAT was sassy. I loved the way she dealt with the people who continued to be mean to her. She didn't back down and confronted them. NJ is actually a very nice person. She was so perfectly right about the guy who asked for forgiveness and told him she will just sue him once.
    And that jerk harrassed her sexually? :pandarage2: FEEL MY WRATH! How dare you!
  • Seeing her turn from sad into total happiness was cute. :pandablush:Especially because he acted a little clumsy and dorky right from the start. She loves it.  I like todays episode. :smile:
  • I also loved the way she handles those little kids. So nice, but confident. I think it impressed Choi Ung a bit aswell. 
    And did I mention this already? But she is SO PRETTY. :pandalove: I would have totally dropped my ice aswell after her saying something like this to me. 
  • @abs-oluteM:lenny:Maybe we can ship Ji Ung with YS and Choi Ung with NJ. The talk between JU and YS was kinda cute and her grandma also reacted quite nice to him. 
  • The forced trip is so funny, but the scenery is really looking like it could be a horror movie. 

Great episode. Promising preview. So NJ is at his parents house? I wonder why. But overall I think this episode did a lot for NJ's character, not only did she get a lot more backstory, but we were able to see her personality a little bit more and she seemed to grow closer to CU. She also clarified her intentions towards him, without crossing any boundaries. 

Maybe there will be a small window for them? 

I'm totally jumping on her train now. NJ CHUU CHUUU

Edited by Dhakra
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Another lovely episode that I enjoyed every minute of. Yes the title is always fitting for the theme in the episode. They were both trying to run away and later was “caught” 😆 The way Woong narrated his “kidnapping” was so funny. 

5 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

Quite surprising though that he takes Yeon Su to his parents place, this could give away the wrong idea. Or maybe the right idea if he is trying to get back together with her.
But if they wanted to have a place to talk quitely and sort things out, this is probably the worst place imaginable.

I was surprised too, but I thought that was very meaningful because it goes to show how strong a trust he has for his parents not to meddle unnecessarily, but let him/them be, and they really didn’t. So in actuality, it is the safest and most comfortable, private place for him, and for them to talk. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 7

@Dhakra I really enjoyed the scene of NJ with Woong! And I'm also happy she has a longer screen time today and we're able to learn more about her personality. I guess she's not exactly a threat to the OTP. She's attracted to Woong because he's someone who, unlike the people around her, is always genuine and doesn't kiss up to her or say the fluffiest but insincere things. I love Woong's reactions when she listed out the 3 things she did for Woong. LOL. That was some great expressions from Choi Woo Sik. @Tofu May I request a gif from this dorky cute shot of Woo Sik? :wow2: The way I see it, she finds comfort in Woong's drawings at first. Perhaps it's because Woong's drawings are instilled with not only his tenderness and details to attention but his sincerity in each of his work. She's drawn to that genuity and sincerity. From Woong's perspective, he's just not interested in NJ and is not in him to pretend. However, that's exactly what NJ likes about him. It's what she needs from Woong. I hope they make very good friends later on and supported each other.

So, if she's not a threat to the OTP. Do you need to choose a team, @Dhakra? Can't we root for both girls? ^ ^

I'm loving Woong as a character more and more and obviously Choi Woo Sik played a big part in making this character lovable and cute. I've a thing for actors who are able to act with nuance and subtlty. This end of year, I'm seeing such acting from both Woo Sik and Lee Jun Ho (The Red Sleeve) for their characters. Lub lub lub such performances.

Woong's reaction when he returned home to see the mess was absolutely hilarious. I'd have killed that person who messes up my house and have him do all the cleaning. That kick to his bum, another LMAO moment for me. :lmao2:

As for Woong's parents liking Yeon Soo... I think they witnessed the changes in Woong when he's with her. I mean, Woong was a kid who was not interested in anything and has no goals. He's actually not a dumb person too and loves reading all sorts of books. He has the knowledge but he's just lack ambition or goal to make use of this knowledge. It's nothing wrong with wanting to live an ordinary, uneventful peaceful life however we all know Asian parents don't think the same way. So I believe his parents are thankful he went to University because Yeon Soo made him, and perhaps many more other things we've yet to find out.

So tell me something, guys. Why did Woong shut up straight away the moment he saw Yeon Soo at the end? He looks scared and meek lol.

@ktcjdrama Woong's narration cracks me up too. "Mystery horror thriller" film. I dieeee. :lmao2:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2