K-Ent Grapevine

Baeksang Arts Awards 2022 - Drama Poll ( Vote for your favorites!)   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Best Drama

• Netflix “D.P.”
    • tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Netflix “Squid Game”
    • MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • wavve “Political Fever”
  2. 2. Best Actor

• Kim Nam Gil – SBS “Through the Darkness”
    • Lee Jung Jae – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Lee Junho – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Im Siwan – wavve “Tracer”
    • Jung Hae In – Netflix “D.P.”
  3. 3. Best Actress

• Kim Tae Ri – tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Kim Hye Soo – Netflix “Juvenile Justice”
    • Park Eun Bin – KBS2 “The King’s Affection”
    • Lee Se Young – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Han So Hee – Netflix “My Name”
  4. 4. Best Supporting Actor

• Lee Deok Hwa – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Lee Hak Joo – wavve “Political Fever”
    • Lee Hyun Wook – tvN “Mine”
    • Cho Hyun Chul – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Heo Sung Tae – Netflix “Squid Game”
  5. 5. Best Supporting Actress

• Kang Mal Geum – JTBC “Thirty-Nine”
    • Kim Shin Rok – Netflix “Hellbound”
    • Kim Joo Ryung – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Ok Ja Yeon – tvN “Mine”
    • Jang Hye Jin – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
  6. 6. Best New Actor

• Goo Kyo Hwan – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Shin Seung Ho – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Yoo In Soo – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”
    • Choi Hyun Wook – tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Tang Joon Sang – SBS “Racket Boys”
  7. 7. Best New Actress

• Kim Hye Joon – JTBC “Inspector Koo”
    • Lee Yeon – Netflix “Juvenile Justice”
    • Lee Yoo Mi – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”
    • Jung Ho Yeon – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Cho Yi Hyun – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2022 at 03:59 PM

Pop News

optimize.jpg

A.B.O. Entertainment

The Korean action comedy film "The Roundup: No Way Out" topped a cumulative 3 million admissions in the domestic box office on the fourth day of its release Saturday, its distributor said.

The highly anticipated sequel to "The Roundup" (2022) added 1 million admissions in a day after surpassing the 2 million admission mark Friday, according to A.B.O. Entertainment.

20230523000514-0.jpg

Megabox Coex in Seoul

The movie had a reservation rate of 78.1 percent as of Saturday afternoon.

It is expected to gather an accumulated audience of over 4 million this weekend.

"No Way Out" is the third installment of a crime action franchise that began with "The Outlaws" (2017), which attracted 6.87 million viewers. Its sequel, "The Roundup," topped the annual domestic box office last year with 12.69 million admissions.

20230523000513-0.jpg

A.B.O. Entertainment

"No Way Out" has drawn attention as to whether it could surpass the success of the original film and invigorate the sluggish Korean film industry amid a lack of hit movies.

http://m.heraldpop.com/

• Like 3

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

• 2 weeks later...

Pop News

20230614000566-0.jpg

Netflix Korea on Wednesday confirmed the return of its flagship survival competition show, “Physical: 100,” for a second season.

“Physical: 100,” which premiered in January, caught local and global viewers’ attention as 100 contestants battled it out in intense survival matches for the title of the most physically fit.

It became the first Korean variety show to soar to the No. 1 slot in the platform's global top 10 chart of non-English TV shows.

The nine-part sports entertainment series recorded more than 192 million hours of viewing for six consecutive weeks, beating other Netflix Korean dramas like “Hellbound” (2021), “Juvenile Justice” (2022) and “Money Heist: Korea Joint Economic Area” (2022).

Some participants, such as female wrestler Jang Eun Sil, bodybuilder Kim Chun Ri and choreographer Jeon Young among others, were propelled to fame by their appearance on the show.

20230614000567-0.jpg

“The production team are well aware of the fans’ compliments and criticisms about ‘Physical: 100.’ And we decided to change everything in the second season, except the program’s fundamental goal of finding the strongest physique,” a Netflix press release quoted director Jang Ho Gi as saying.

Jang added that he will invite new talents to compete and aims to develop more exciting, challenging missions with experts.

While it was popular, “Physical: 100” also came under fire over its handling of the final matches.

Olympic cyclist Jung Hae Min the runner-up told a local media outlet that the finals had to be suspended twice and claimed that his request to air the rematches was ignored.

Meanwhile, director Jang explained that the match was stopped twice due to "unexpected incidents," a decision that was eventually agreed upon by the two athletes in the finals. He also claimed that the staff members did not engage in any unfair manipulation to influence the match. Other controversies surrounding the cast also surfaced.

Kim Da Young, a stunt actor, posted an apology on her social media admitting that she said abusive and hurtful words to discipline her junior in middle school. But Kim denied accusations by a purported ex-schoolmate who said that Kim extorted cash from others, took her friends to a karaoke room and physically assaulted them.

A former South Korean rugby national team member was indicted on charges of physical assault against his girlfriend, which he later admitted in the first trial held in April.

http://www.heraldpop.com/

• Like 2

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

Content Writing Pop News

20230620000581-0.jpg

The hit filmmaker who helmed “Veteran” (2015) and “Escape From Mogadishu” (2021) returns with the star-studded female-led action film “Smugglers.”

Set in a peaceful seaside village in the 1970s, the crime action film revolves around an accident in front of "haenyeo," female divers who collect seafood from the ocean floor. Kim Hye Soo, Yum Jung Ah, Zo In Sung, Park Jung Min, Kim Jong Soo and Go Min Si act in the film.

Actresses Kim Hye Soo and Yum Jung Ha had to overcome their fear of the water while shooting the film. Most of the scenes were shot inside a 6-meter-deep water tank.

20230620000582-0.jpg

“I didn’t know that I panic when I see water. Maybe it was after shooting 'The Thieves' (2012) when I was locked in a submerged car in handcuffs. So it took me a while to get familiar with underwater shooting,” Kim said during a press conference at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University on Tuesday.

Prior to the underwater and seaside shooting, the actors trained for about three months.

Yum said she did not like going into the water before.

“I don’t like the water but after hearing that Kim would star, I was more than happy. Having wrapped up the shooting, I really miss all of our cast” said Yum, who appears as the leader of women divers.

Director Ryoo Seung Wan said although the film is led by two female characters, it’s more about a team.

“From the planning stage, I had Kim Hye Soo and Yum Jung Ah on top of the list. It’s something that I cannot explain in words, but for me, they were irreplaceable actors for this movie,” Ryoo told reporters, joking that Zo In Sung and Park Jung Min were cast as he was looking for actors who were not busy.

“Unlike TV dramas or streaming content, there have not been many female-led films. When I received the director’s suggestion for this project, I was thankful that this kind of film was planned and I got the role. I also appreciate Zo and Park for adding good energy to our film,” Kim said.

She added that even if she had not starred in the film, the fact that director Ryoo, who has effectively communicated with the audience previously, has returned with female-led film would have heighted her anticipation to see it.

Zo, who also appeared in Ryoo’s “Escape From Mogadishu,” said he mastered the action sequences this time for greater impact and higher quality. Zo stars as Kwon, who collaborates with Cho (Kim Hye Soo) to find a new smuggling route.

“Compared to ‘Mogadishu’ where my action was more improvisation, I tried to do action this time under Ryoo’s detailed direction and get confirmation from him,” Zo told reporters.

“Smugglers” opens in local theaters July 26.

Smugglers-KM-p1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Content Writing Pop News

w-Jjyx8-4c.jpg

Lotte Entertainment

Director Um Tae Hwa’s upcoming disaster thriller “Concrete Utopia” will be released in local cinemas on Aug. 8, the film distributor Lotte Entertainment said Friday.

The film’s star-studded cast including Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon and Park Bo Young, garnered industry attention after a teaser was released in the past week.

photo1679832.jpg

Based on the second part of a webtoon about an earthquake and its aftermath, “Pleasant Neighbor,” the film revolves around few residents of Hwang Gung Apartments in the devastated city. Lee plays Young Tak, self-centred leader among the residents, Park Seo Joon as a rough and hot-tempered husband Min Seong who supports Young Tak and Park Bo Young as  Min Seong’s wife.

Um said during a press conference held on June 21 that the film was not just about the aftermath of a disaster but shows different sides of human instincts when put to an extreme situation.

The movie has also been presold in 152 countries, according to Lotte Entertainment.

concreteutopia-2023-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@mademoiselle so many dramas 😅😅.

I plan to watch for sure 

- Worst of Evil

- My Dearest 2

- Evillive 

The rest are not in my radar at the moment . There’s a hard core historical that I plan to watch , need to open thread later - Goryeo Kithan War . 

If the Matchmakers plot is good , I’ll also try that one . 😃

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

29 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@mademoiselle so many dramas 😅😅.

I plan to watch for sure 

- Worst of Evil

- My Dearest 2

- Evillive 

The rest are not in my radar at the moment . There’s a hard core historical that I plan to watch , need to open thread later - Goryeo Kithan War . 

If the Matchmakers plot is good , I’ll also try that one . 😃

Dog, Doona and Matchmakers are a must watch for me. OPPA is important. The rest I will wait for some feedback or reviews lol!

• Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 12:51 AM, Chocolate said:

Haha, yes I did. Only 6 episodes so was a easy watch. Not bad but not exceptional. He doesn't look so good there lol.

I was disappointed with the drama when everything was revealed. I would have preferred it to be something mysterious about the tomb.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Borrowing this thread to ask a question. @gilaswan how do you feel about the ending for Captivating the King? I read their relationship remains underground...

Have you watched it or are you planning to watch it?

I feel that at the point of the show ending, there were still many “loose ends” the king needed to get through. He was only 9 months in from the point when he started to clean the house. Being the type of monarch that he was, I am certain he would not indulge in his own desires; she was also not the sort who would put her own desires above that of the state as well - she too wanted to return to her father in Qing. 

But me being me and always wanting to complete the story myself, I would imagine that if the story were to continue, Mongwoo would manage to establish a good relationship with the new Emperor of Qing and like Lee In before her, be discharged from the Qing court to return to Joseon. There would be no need for any spies to be left in Qing so father will also return. Lee In will restore her father back to his court; Mongwoo will also return to her position as Heesoo. Should anyone ask or suspect her of the “crime” of cross dressing, he would simply give the unsaid impression that it was all under his own plans that the family - father and daughter - was appointed to do his work. But no one would dare ask the King for fear of suggesting that he would allow something “wrong” to be done, and so it would go silent. As far as the Qing court is concerned, Gidaeryeong had been dismissed from the Joseon court and never returned. Lee In then abdicates his position as King to finally hand the throne over to his nephew as he had always planned since the court would now be filled with trustworthy men. Then he marries her and live simply as “normal” nobility out of the palace.

Tadah. :yayaya:

Edited by gilaswan
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Have you watched it or are you planning to watch it?

I feel that at the point of the show ending, there were still many “loose ends” the king needed to get through. He was only 9 months in from the point when he started to clean the house. Being the type of monarch that he was, I am certain he would not indulge in his own desires; she was also not the sort who would put her own desires above that of the state as well - she too wanted to return to her father in Qing. 

But me being me and always wanting to complete the story myself, I would imagine that if the story were to continue, Mongwoo would manage to establish a good relationship with the new Emperor of Qing and like Lee In before her, be discharged from the Qing court to return to Joseon. There would be no need for any spies to be left in Qing so father will also return. Lee In will restore her father back to his court; Mongwoo will also return to her position as Heesoo. Should anyone ask or suspect her of the “crime” of cross dressing, he would simply give the unsaid impression that it was all under his own plans that the family - father and daughter - was appointed to do his work. But no one would dare ask the King for fear of suggesting that he would allow something “wrong” to be done, and so it would go silent. As far as the Qing court is concerned, Gidaeryeong had been dismissed from the Joseon court and never returned. Lee In then abdicates his position as King to finally hand the throne over to his nephew as he had always planned since the court would now be filled with trustworthy men. Then he marries her and live simply as “normal” nobility out of the palace.

Tadah. :yayaya:

Haven't watched. Wondering if I should even bother because I don't want to start if the ending isn't satisfying.

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Haven't watched. Wondering if I should even bother because I don't want to start if the ending isn't satisfying.

I was satisfied with the ending. I actually would put it as likely to be among the best dramas of 2024 for me. I've all of given up with Wedding Impossible.