K-Ent Grapevine

Baeksang Arts Awards 2022 - Drama Poll ( Vote for your favorites!)   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Best Drama

• Netflix “D.P.”
    • tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Netflix “Squid Game”
    • MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • wavve “Political Fever”
  2. 2. Best Actor

• Kim Nam Gil – SBS “Through the Darkness”
    • Lee Jung Jae – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Lee Junho – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Im Siwan – wavve “Tracer”
    • Jung Hae In – Netflix “D.P.”
  3. 3. Best Actress

• Kim Tae Ri – tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Kim Hye Soo – Netflix “Juvenile Justice”
    • Park Eun Bin – KBS2 “The King’s Affection”
    • Lee Se Young – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Han So Hee – Netflix “My Name”
  4. 4. Best Supporting Actor

• Lee Deok Hwa – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Lee Hak Joo – wavve “Political Fever”
    • Lee Hyun Wook – tvN “Mine”
    • Cho Hyun Chul – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Heo Sung Tae – Netflix “Squid Game”
  5. 5. Best Supporting Actress

• Kang Mal Geum – JTBC “Thirty-Nine”
    • Kim Shin Rok – Netflix “Hellbound”
    • Kim Joo Ryung – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Ok Ja Yeon – tvN “Mine”
    • Jang Hye Jin – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
  6. 6. Best New Actor

• Goo Kyo Hwan – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Shin Seung Ho – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Yoo In Soo – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”
    • Choi Hyun Wook – tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Tang Joon Sang – SBS “Racket Boys”
  7. 7. Best New Actress

• Kim Hye Joon – JTBC “Inspector Koo”
    • Lee Yeon – Netflix “Juvenile Justice”
    • Lee Yoo Mi – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”
    • Jung Ho Yeon – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Cho Yi Hyun – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2022 at 03:59 PM

jay-park-jay-park-smile.gif

Content Writing Dispatch Reporter Min Ji Gu

dc386e05-66ad-4012-87e1-0a0b6d80768d.png

Singer Jay Park will be the MC of a music talk show.

A KBS official said on the 28th, "We plan to launch a new music talk show 'The Seasons' in February next year." "Jay Park will be the MC for the first season."

'The Seasons' is a music talk show. 'Noh Young Sim's Little Concert', 'Lee Mun Se Show', 'Lee So Ra's Proposal', 'Yoon Do Hyun's Love Letter', 'Lee Ha Na's Peppermint', 'Yoo Hee Yeol's Sketchbook' and etc.

A different method called 'annual project' was introduced. The year is divided into 4 seasons. Four MCs with various charms run the program under their names.

Jay Park cuts off the start. KBS said, "Jay Park is a musician who has been in his 15th year since his debut. He has proven his versatility in dance, rap, singing and producing."

Then, "He introduces a variety of music, not limited to genres. He plans to share honest talks while empathizing with musicians' stories with an unbiased gaze."

Over the past 30 years, KBS has created legendary stages such as veteran singers, singer-songwriters, rappers, indie musicians, and idols through late-night music programs.

An official added, "As it has served as a gateway to becoming a musician, 'The Seasons' will present in-depth talks about music and well-made live performances to viewers."

3e0513b2-d41e-4bfc-9850-98f3c2fc67c9.png

<Photo = Dispatch DB, Morevision>

https://www.dispatch.co.kr/category/exclusive

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

Written By Dispatch Reporter Jeong Tae Yoon

d24dd823-5588-466f-92d1-3dc9dcb02334.gif

The movie 'Hero' (director Je Kyun Yoon) showed unwavering power.

According to the Yeongjinwi Cinema Ticket Integrated Network, as of the 29th, 'Hero' mobilized a cumulative audience of 1,069,196.

After its release, it ranked first in the Korean film box office for 8 days in a row. Despite being in the second week of release, the number of viewers increased by 26.2% compared to the previous day.

The seat sales rate is also skyrocketing day by day. Achieved 22.2%, surpassing 'Avatar: Water Road' (21.5%). Despite the new offensive, it continued to be a box office hit.

It proved the interest of the audience. 'Hero' maintains a CGV Golden Egg Index of 94%, Lotte Cinema's audience rating of 9.4 points, and Megabox's actual viewing rating of 9 points.

'Hero' is an original musical film. It depicts the last year of Dr. Ahn Jung Geun, which we did not know about. It is well-received for its rich music and actors' passionate performances.

photo1604753.jpg

d139a87b-5bab-4e6c-b42b-93ee0da7c276.jpg

<Photo Source = Movie Poster, Yeongjinwi integrated computer network>

https://www.dispatch.co.kr/category/exclusive

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

Written By Reporter Kim Da Sol

Resurgence of cinema still too early to tell.

Despite several highly anticipated projects, ticket sales fail to return to pre-pandemic levels

This past year has been extraordinary for the film industry, finally set free from some of the constraints and anxieties of the coronavirus pandemic.

A number of brilliant projects wowed and excited moviegoers, but ticket sales failed to return to pre-pandemic levels, suggesting that sluggish sales for local cinemas may linger into 2023. However, this does not diminish hope for even better films set to be released next year.

Here is a recap of the South Korean film industry in 2022.

Sequels bring moviegoers back to cinemas

Sequels managed to repeat the popularity of the originals – and we’re not just talking about the Marvel series.

The Korean action comedy film “The Roundup” made it to the 10 million ticket sales club – the first for any film since the pandemic began -- with 12.6 million tickets sold. The figure is far higher than that of the 2017 original “The Outlaws,” which sold some 6.8 million tickets.

The action franchise starring Don Lee and an A-list cast became the talk of the town, with observers wondering whether it would live up to the hype. “My Liberation Notes” star Son Suk Ku and “Our Blues” actor Park Ji Hwan showed great chemistry with Don Lee despite a number of setbacks, according to director Lee Sang Yong.

Shot during the pandemic, the film’s shooting location was abruptly switched to Seoul from Vietnam, incurring an additional 1 billion won ($783,000) in production fees than originally planned. However, the film ultimately brought in more than seven times its initial investment.

20221227000729-0.jpg

This year’s fourth-most watched film “Confidential Assignment 2: International” also managed attract 7 million moviegoers, just slightly lower than the 7.8 million tickets sold for the 2017 original. The addition of surefire actors Daniel Henny and rising star Jin Seon Kyu to the sequel made the plot more exciting.

Rise in ticket prices holds back audience

Despite the release of long-awaited sequels and mega-scale projects by renowned filmmakers like Park Chan Wook (“Decision to Leave”), it was not easy to lure people who had been streaming Netflix in the comfort of their homes back to theaters .

Before the pandemic, many people only needed to decide what to watch at the theater. Now, many are asking whether a film is really worth watching at the theater at all. Movie tickets, which cost an average of 11,000 won in 2020, now cost 14,000 won on average. A night out at the movies for two people with popcorn and drinks could set a moviegoer back some 40,000 won.

A total of 98.6 million people visited theaters from January to November, according to cinema operators. This is an increase of about 89.6 percent from a year ago, when COVID-19 was at its peak and the local film industry was brought to a halt. Despite the increase, the figure is still only about 48 percent of the pre-pandemic level in 2019.

This year, the local film industry saw cumulative revenue surpass 1 trillion won for the first time since the start of pandemic.

Local theaters are hoping box office sales will get a year-end boost with a slew of new releases in December, from the much-anticipated James Cameron blockbuster “Avatar: The Way of Water,” to South Korea's first ever musical-to-screen movie “Hero.” 

K-film continues to expand globally 

International awards season kicks off in January, with the Golden Globe Awards slated for Jan. 10.

Award-winning director Park Chan Wook has been nominated or shortlisted for a several awards, and a major win for Park would mean another big boost for Korean films internationally.

Insiders expect that such recognition worldwide could bolster industrywide efforts to bring moviegoers back to theaters.

20221227000730-0.jpg

"Decision to Leave" (CJENM)

https://twitter.com/TheKoreaHerald/status/1607931534555893760

I would like to say that 'Decision To Leave' movie, it sounds simple enough. a detective falls for lead suspect in his latest murder investigation but, nothing, director Park Chan Wook (Oldboy, The Handmaiden) does is simple or, as it seems, without layers of meaning and intent.  :pandapopcorn:   the filmmaker moves his actors (Park Hae Il and Tang Wei, both extraordinary) around like chess pieces, in service of his story about romantic longing, secrets and obsessions. in the end, it adds up to the smartest, most satisfying murder mystery in years.   :smile:

MV5-BOTEz-YTlj-MTMt-ODU0-ZC00-ZWI0-LTlh-

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

3070e497361d8a962d9565e39b093f0b.gif

a97c21d633055f968ab0364c0ed656d4.gif

Posted by Susan Han AKP

Lee Jong Suk's agency confirms he's dating IU

Lee Jong Suk's agency HighZium Studio has officially confirmed the dating rumors between him with singer and actress Lee Ji Eun also known by her stage name IU, just hours after the initial report by media outlet 'Dispatch'.

In curt a press statement on December 31, HighZium Studio revealed, "Lee Jong Suk and IU recently went from being close acquaintances to lovers, and they are now maintaining a serious relationship. Please cheer them on so that they can continue their beautiful relationship."

Earlier on this day, Lee Jong Suk created a buzz when he expressed gratitude toward an unnamed individual during his award acceptance speech at the '2022 MBC Drama Awards'. Spurred on by the buzz, media outlet 'Dispatch' then exclusively reported on the couple's private vacation in Nagoya, Japan, over the Christmas holidays. IU's agency EDAM Entertainment has also spoken up with the following confirmation: "The two recently went from being close acquaintances to lovers."

0d0e74f0-ef35-451c-a687-d7621760418e.png

https://twitter.com/allkpop/status/1609081238618345472

• Like 4
  • Party! 2

My king - Lee Joon. Hope he can win something for Bloody Heart 

Yay !!!

Just now, ktcjdrama said:

Yes, I was shocked! Wonder what drama she is shooting for now. I prefer her with longer hair, like at the start of the drama. Anyway, her dress also a poor choice. She wasn’t comfy with it 😔

Actually even in the show I prefer her original long hair 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

And the entire Business Proposal reunion when they all won those Best Couple Awards:

44 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

What? Since when? I thought you said she didn't before???

Summoning @Tofu @Alice Wonderland @JenL

Hahaha I have been summoned!!! :heart:

Why is Chae Jong Hyeop so cute all the time??? :wow:

*But I actually haven't been watching the KBS awards properly...CJH is only there for that sports drama of his that I didn't like!

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2
  • Party! 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Hahaha Kim Ji Eun from One Dollar Lawyer just won for supporting actor in Romance or Comedy (I think) and she full whipped out a written speech :laugh: Her team all laughed and seemed to think she was cute, especially NGM who she thanked of course.

Also Kim Min Gue is so cute. He was like the opposite. Blanked out in his speeches! :laugh:

Edited by JenL
  • Haha 4

@JenL I have mixed feelings about KJE winning for One Dollar Lawyer as the role was rather one-dimensional. I prefer what she did in The Veil. 

Agree to the hotness of LJH

Cute

I like that both pairs won best couple!

FlUJwYYakAIknB2?format=png&name=900x900

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

@JenL I have mixed feelings about KJE winning for One Dollar Lawyer as the role was rather one-dimensional. I prefer what she did in The Veil. 

Agree to the hotness of LJH

I have to admit I didn't finished One Dollar Lawyer, though I think I will get back to it because I love NGM, so can't say I saw all of her acting. But that character was a bit annoying :heiboi:

Now I'm lurking on the KBS awards and diidn't realise LSG had cut his hair. It's like army cut :lettalKWA: Hope he's holding up given all the stuff that happened with Hook Enertainment not that long ago.

Hahaha is it just me or are all the best couples that won at KBS' drama awards wearing white except for one? It looks like a mass wedding ceremony :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, JenL said:

Hahaha is it just me or are all the best couples that won at KBS' drama awards wearing white except for one? It

Yes. I think  BaeNouri the FL from The Love In Your Eyes (daily drama) is in maroon.

@ktcjdramaThe older brother's pairing should have won. They had great chemistry

43 minutes ago, JenL said:

Now I'm lurking on the KBS awards and diidn't realise LSG had cut his hair. It's like army cut :lettalKWA: Hope he's holding up given all the stuff that happened with Hook Enertainment not that long ago.

Has been a hard year for him

Yay...I can finally go to sleep in peace now. I was just waiting for this 

• Like 3
  • Party! 1

21 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Yes. I think  BaeNouri the FL from The Love In Your Eyes (daily drama) is in maroon.

Sadly, they didn't go up the stage. The one wearing non-white (ie.black) is Lee Se Hee, paired with DO, for Bad Prosecutor.

50 minutes ago, JenL said:

LSG had cut his hair. It's like army cut

He explained that it's for his movie. I cannot understand what character he is playing, but everyone kinda laughed when he said it.

24 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

The older brother's pairing should have won. They had great chemistry

Yeah... but I think I kinda see how they're going about this. It's mostly the main couple. I don't remember seeing any dailies couple also. But!.. my Stationery Couple from weekender Three Bold Siblings is up there! Everyone loves them, their clips on YouTube get the most watched, hahaa... Not even the main pairing was up there. 

:Party01:   YAY!! KIM NAM GIL!!   :Party02:

• Like 3
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

By Kwak Yeon Soo

Six movies to look out for in 2023

optimize-1.jpg

From left, actors Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon and Park Bo Young will star in the dystopian film "Concrete Utopia" / Courtesy of Lotte 

Despite the lifting of COVID-19 restrictions, cinema admissions last year were weaker than expected. A total of 986.3 million tickets were sold in the January-November period of 2022, up 89.3 percent from a year earlier. However, the figure remained below half (48.3 percent) of the pre-pandemic level (2019) due to a lack of mega-hit films.

Studios latched on to blockbusters including the sequels to "The Outlaws," "Roaring Currents" and "Avatar" to attract audiences back to theaters. Many of the films conceived and shot during the pandemic have been subject to repeated delays as cinemas saw a big drop in overall attendance.

While 2023 still looks somewhat grim, in terms of reaching pre-pandemic attendance levels, there is still room for cautious optimism. Here are six movies to look out for this year, ranging from intense thrillers to sweet romance films.

'Concrete Utopia'

"Concrete Utopia" is a post-apocalyptic film that boasts a stellar cast featuring Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon and Park Bo Young. Directed by Um Tae Hwa, who was behind "Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned" (2016)

'The Moon' (working title)
Sci-fi blockbuster "The Moon" is helmed by Kim Yong Hwa, the director behind commercially successful films "Take Off" (2009) and "Along With The Gods" (2017-2018) franchise. It stars Seol Kyung Gu, Do Kyung Soo (EXO's D.O) and Kim Hee Ae.

optimize-2.jpg

Production still images of the film, "The Moon" (working title) / Courtesy of CJ ENM.

'Smuggle'
Ryu Seung Wan, the director of "The Berlin File" (2013), "Veteran" (2015) and "Escape from Mogadishu" (2021), is back behind the camera with "Smuggle." It stars Kim Hye soo, Yum Jung Ah, Zo In Sung and Park Jung Min.

'Wonderland'
Directed by Kim Tae Yong, the sci-fi fantasy film tells the story of a virtual world called "Wonderland." 
The film's star-studded cast includes Bae Suzy, Choi Woo Shik, Jung Yu Mi, Park Bo Gum and the filmmaker's wife, Tang Wei.

'Kidnapped' (working title)
"Kidnapped," starring actors Ha Jung-woo and Joo Ji Hoon, tells the story of Korean hostages captured in Beirut, Lebanon in the 1980s. This marks director Kim Seong Hun's return to the big screen following his hit Netflix series "Kingdom" Ha and Joo previously starred together in "Along With The Gods" film franchise. In January, the two are set to star in TVing reality show "Bros On Foot."

'Dream'
Director Lee Byeong Heon, who helmed "Extreme Job" (2019), will return with the comedy-drama film "Dream." Starring Park Seo Joon and Lee Ji Eun (IU), the film tells the story of a former soccer coach training a national team of rough sleepers for the Homeless World Cup.

This year will also promise some long-awaited sequels including director Ryu's "Veteran 2," in which Jung Hae In will appear as the new villain. "The Roundup: No Way Out," the third installment of "The Outlaws" film franchise is in the post-production stage. "Noryang: The Sea of Death," the final film of director Kim Han Min's trilogy about Yi Sun Shin's naval battles, is also expected to hit theaters sometime this year.

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1