Flower of Evil 악의 꽃 [2020]

FoE is just getting better and better! 

Cant believe we'll only have one episode next week. Yikes.

Episode 10

Spoiler

So doctor dad is really the accomplice? Whooaahh. I did share on my ep 9 review that the doctor dad could be the accomplice. But tbh, when watching ep 10, I wanna change my theory to dad just being a client!!! Only in the last minute did the drama give away that he must really be the accomplice. He must have liked the wristband so much to be wearing it even to the funeral. Hahaha.

I shed tears on this episode. Lol. The scene when DHS said he wants to be a decent man for Ji Won. Awww. 

Ji Won has 100% trust in him already but fellow detective just found out. I think the deal must have been cut off. The preview showed Jiwon warning DHS to leave. Our OTP is breaking up again. 

I also wondered the woman BHS was supposed to meet? Cha Ji Won? 

I am also shipping  Moo Jin & Hae Su.

This drama has great OTPs although it is classified as thriller or suspense drama. Hahaha

:eeeee::1000:

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

In the strong Tower, I take refuge.

-----------------------------------

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

@-StrongTower- The melodrama is well navigated in episode 10 ( I didn't watch the subs yet but man the livestreaming is very intense ! ) 

Spoiler

There's a bunch of theories i read on naver video comments and the accomplice could be Hee Sung and he is very much obsessed with Hae Soo. Based on that episode 11 preview , it was Hae Soo whom he is going to meet !

ImageImage

Hee Sung was also looking at the grass  lawn when he was brought outside. There was a notion that he was the one who buried the missing body or what? This show and the possibilities really !

But what makes him limp and went into coma that it is definitely the mother's fault?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

20 minutes ago, -StrongTower- said:

Wow, that's a great theory @bluepebbles!

Thanks for sharing. It definitely gave me a new perspective on who might be the accomplice and what kind of role BHS plays in the drama.

Lee Joon Gi mentioned on his IG live that Kim Ji Hoon's character is unique and they are very careful about his character for spoilers. 

Spoiler

So most prolly he really is the accomplice/killer 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Thoughts after watching Ep 9:

The opening scene moved me, to see how much Hyunsoo and Jiwon were in love, and how HS spoke so tenderly to Eunha who was still not yet born that time.

The whole break-up scene broke me. Both LJK and MCW acted so well, especially the former. I hate to see this angst because obviously they still love each other. It’s not going to be an easy fix.

The ‘emergency’ meeting when both Haesoo and Moojin were so concerned for Hyunsoo and it turned out to be relationship problem... Lol.

So on the contrary to what Hyunsoo told his sister about never loving Jiwon before, here she finds out that he does indeed love his wife. Just need for him to realise this himself.

spacer.png

And we get to the ending scene. Wow. When Jiwon finally decides to trust Hyunsoo (cue flashbacks again to the opening scene of the episode when it’s revealed that all he ever wanted from her was her trust in him), but his one-word answers were all lies, although she trusts him and gives him an hour to settle things. Fortunately, Jiwon is a smart cookie.

This was such a good episode (although not a lot of development in terms of the detective work side of things as well as Baek Heesung). I’m guessing this will come in Ep 10.
I’ll back-read all the posts I’ve skipped to avoid spoilers after watching the next ep!

Edited by im0202
  • Heart Eyes 4
23 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

Lee Joon Gi mentioned on his IG live that Kim Ji Hoon's character is unique and they are very careful about his character for spoilers. 

Hide contents

So most prolly he really is the accomplice/killer 

This excites me btw. If you watch ep 10 there's a scene where

Spoiler

Hae su went to a hypnosis session. She remembered the man who gave her the keychain to be intently looking at her as if wanting to kill her. If he is BHS, why did he not kill her during that time? How many years was it after the funeral when he accidentally hit Hyun Soo? He must have all the time to kill her. Oh wait the Do siblings ran away from the village and went into hiding after the incident with the foreman right? so he must have been searching for her until the car accident.

Now, if I ride on with the theory of BHS as Hae Su's stalker, it might be possible that he finished the village foreman cause he was always following (obssessing) with Hae Su. The voice recording did reveal that the accomplice find the VF to be very nosy that's why he killed him.

Lastly, (lol) when DHS told doctor dad they are alike cause they do everything they can to reach their goal, I had the feeling that doctor dad may know what his son (real BHS) is doing. Like he is taking care of covering it all up or might be partners of the crime. It actually made me rethink what made Do MinSeok the killer, what was the evidence that pointed him to be the suspect in the serial killings?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

In the strong Tower, I take refuge.

-----------------------------------

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

Ep10

Speculations are flying around now. I still don't think fake Appa is the accomplice and I see there are discussion about the possibility of Baek Hee Sung being one. Not just in the English community, the Chinese as well.

With the accomplice, we have the following clues:

- extremely short nails

- an eye of the accomplice was shown

- green wrist band

...the eye of the accomplice's eye does look very similar to the photo in the spoiler, isn't it?

Spoiler

Screenshot-2020-08-29-s-Weibo-Weibo.png

I'm liking the twist this show is throwing at me. Interesting how it turned out to be Hee Sung. Back then Hee Sung would only have been 20 years old. How did he and Do Min Seok ended up as "partners"? Odd. That whole part is so fuzzy and mysterious. I don't know how they are even linked. Anticipating for the writer to show make sense out of it!

Ep11 - Hyun Soo who doesn't "feel" emotions cries the next episode. Waaa, he's evolving so quick...

Edited by mademoisellesia
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

I've been trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible since I've only watched the show up to Episode 8. 

The writing of the show has been very good so far. That's the highlight for me. Happily the storyline doesn't fall along predictable lines. Every episode is edge-of-the seat stuff and I'm routinely reminded of Hitchcock in the way the cat and mouse aspects play out in the way the story continues to unfold. The premise is fascinating and the execution so far is stellar.

The next best thing of course is Lee Joon-gi's performance as  Do Hyun-su. I expected him to bring his A-game to this and of course he has, playing someone who has ASPD and has learnt how to fit in with the wider world. It isn't that he's purposefully inauthentic to deceive but it's more the case that being himself only seems to lead to misunderstanding, bullying and ostracization. Labelling children is a two-edge sword. While it might help others to "understand" that an individual might be wired differently, it can also lead to irrational fear. Do Hyun-su despite his inability to empathize seems better equipped to act more rationally and thoughtfully. He wants to live his life quietly with his family but his past inevitably catches up with him. It was clear practically from the early days that he wasn't his father's accomplice, if indeed his father was the infamous serial killer of their hometown.

It strikes me as interesting that the so-called "normal" people are the ones who are causing the most problems and doing the most damage to the social fabric because they don't have a good handle on their emotions. For a guy who is supposedly unable to empathize, Hyun-so is loath to kill. He defies expectations in that regard. If he can negotiate his way out of a bind, that's what he does. To him that's rational. All of the violence that we are privy to in the drama are done by others because of greed, anger, grief and fear. 

Societies are obsessed that people with mental disorders causing problems and chaos in the main while forgetting that most crimes are committed as a result of normal human passions that aren't brought under control.  That is to say, people who aren't driven by emotions are seldom the problem. 

Ji-won admirably acts in a way that is true to her creed that she only believes what she sees. There are flaws with that perspective but the upside is that she is driven largely to be evidence-based. Even if she believes that their marriage has been something of a lie, she knows, after a bit of testing and investigating that Do Hyun-so isn't the demon that he's been made out to be. I certainly don't think that their marriage is a lie in the way she thinks of it. While he might not be the ideal family man she thought he was, Hyun-so isn't a villain. His attentions towards his family was always benevolent. After all, it's clear from the flashbacks that she pursued him first despite his attempts to fend off her overtures. All he did was learn to dance to her tune and be the man he thought she wanted. He was more like the manga Absolute Boyfriend, learning how to be perfect husband and father even if he didn't have feelings for them. He responded to their feelings in the best way he could. He isn't less human just because he isn't driven by emotions like the rest of humanity but there are advantages because emotions don't overwhelm him. This is what JWon has to navigate. 

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

118281209_771279556776905_61339486965046

:heart:

Still prefer black haired LJK, but this shot looks aesthetic

118254786_771278920110302_78738535797119

1 minute ago, OsmanthusTea said:

I am only up to episode 5 and have to take a breather from time to time because of the amount of inflicted pains scenes...I feel like watching OCN not TVn. LSG doesn’t disappointed, he is absolutely slays as BHS.

I :hearties: pain scenes :eeeee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@40somethingahjumma the Absolute Boyfriend reference hit nostalgia to me :letalQQ:

And I must agree on those characters being prominent / trend in kdrama setting this year. However what makes FOE stands out specially Hyun Soo is that he is married here, making the drama to be distinct from other similar themes.

(JG also mentioned this in his IG live, that is why he is very much aware and this had become one of the major considerations of whether he will accept this project or not, glad that he did ! ) 

@mademoisellesia yep the accomplice is as close to  your hunch too, with the sequences done in the preview.

I had done watching episode 10 and what strike me most is this scene

Spoiler

a6dcd16faafecfabb77260c599214871.gif

"Do Hyun Soo, please don't get hurt"

I so love this sequence . Ji Won may had mentioned this always to him but as Hee Sung, and this time , those words had so much of underlying importance when Hyun Soo will realize it after that Ji Won already knew. Ji Won at the same time, acknowledges that she is married to Hyun Soo with a dark past/stigma attached to his name, and yet she trusted him , wishing him to keep safe from looming danger. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

19 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

She bought Eunha egg tart and she also cooked for her. Her husband just don’t know how to take care of her though ☹️

@bluepebbles @OsmanthusTea  Gong Mi-Ja isn’t a bad mom nor is she is a bad person. She loves her son but she has a major Fear!! Having a child that is extremely smart. Remember the tart scene. It all began because she saw how advanced EunHa is. I don’t recall anyone mentioning this.i wondered why did she act like that?? She thinks being smart is bad. 

I believe everything is connected.  We will see that the Baek are connected to  Child psychiatry Center Hyun Soo was getting treatment.
Everyone I find something else weird. Since HS left left behind the black bag, he was able to live a normal life. No violent tendencies, no panic attack and no  obsessive behaviors.   He was actually nice to Bae Hee Sung’s mom and ver tolerant to her obsessive behavior towards him. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

Assuming Hee Sung is really the accomplice and Mum found out that night, it is understandable why she might have gone ballistic and "hurt" him. She gave birth to him, raise and nurture him — gave him the best (and don't forget from the argument it seems like the husband was not around most of the time) only to find out he is a serial killer. How heartbroken it must have been. Her world must have crumbled at that very moment. All that love she put in and she's told she has raised a Devil...? This is from a mother's perspective.

From Hee Sung's perspective perhaps the love and expectation (being a Maths genius) was the reason Hee Sung went haywire. That's why Mum went berserk on Eun Ha. She didn't want her to become broken from overly good at something. She realises the "mistake".

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Guys, I rewatched some scenes from earlier episodes last night. Something confuse me now. If Hee Sung is the accomplice, that makes him a cold-hearted killer. However, we see him panic and scared after hitting Hyun Soo. He could have hit and run but he wanted to send Hyun Soo to hospital. He called Dad for help.

This piece of info doesn't match our suspicion on him being accomplice now. Oh Show. :idk:

3 hours ago, Olivia Kate said:

Any idea how to cope with the suspense while waiting for the next episode? :)

Watch another drama, like Alice to distract yourself 😁

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
3 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

Guys, I rewatched some scenes from earlier episodes last night. Something confuse me now. If Hee Sung is the accomplice, that makes him a cold-hearted killer. However, we see him panic and scared when he hit Hyun Soo. He could have hit and run but he wanted to send Hyun Soo to hospital. He called Dad for help.

This piece of info doesn't match our suspicion on him being accomplice now. Oh Show. :idk:

Watch another drama, like Alice to distract yourself 😁

Maybe Hyun Soo is not the 'trigger'?

Some amazing timeline here from FOE dcgall

They created a spreadsheet ! :shocked2:

ImageImageImage

Spoiler

source

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor