Sisyphus: The Myth / 시지프스: The Myth - [2021]

im0202

11 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

It took me two nights to watch episode 5. LOL.

Weekend should help me quicken episode 6 viewing faster but I find myself in no rush to hit the play button.

If it helps , eps 6 was definitely better than eps 5.

--------------------------

Poor TaeSul , being a genius that he is and having all the drugs mess up his head, even his dreams are are like super cryptic :pandawhat:...what was this LOL!...borrowing @katakwasabi gif here ...

Anyhow , eps 6 had quite a few plots developments / reveals

- Tae San is also not in favour of Seo Hae going near Tae Sul, the way her dad warned her to stay away from him. Tae San mentioned that her dad is a Liutenant...so in the present time line he must either be a cop or army ( special forces) ...not surprising given that in the future he and Seo Hae are able to survive the chaos. I am guessing that Seo Hae becomes Tae Sul's weakness/ liability in some way and the consequences of what he does or decides on leads to the war?

- Seo Jin & her father are in cahoots with the Control Bureau ( whom I am guessing is controlled by Sigma ) - I am guessing the key they are asking for must be to the safe containing TaeSul's research or findings for this uploader or technology that enabled the time travel.

- The owner of Sigma has captured Tae San.

4 hours ago, im0202 said:

Okay I’ve decided to view this drama as a Sci-fi comedy to continue watching it, which was not what I’d thought! 

That's how I am watching it too ...a change of viewing lens does help . Plus I adore seeing CSW with so many cute & cheeky expressions. 

5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

he lady doc being a part of the Big Bad Evil is an interesting touch, though I thought it was broadcasted very early on that she has her own agenda and that she doesn't necessarily mean well for Tae Seul, or Eddie for that matter.

I am slightly relieved that she's also lying or misleading Eddie. As in I didn't want Eddie to be cooperating with her. Eddie & Tae Sul are the best of friends , there's hope that Eddie will be of help to Tae Sul . He is coming to realise that Seo Jin has her own agenda in her treatment procedures for Tae Sul

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Just finished catching up. Yay!!

Agree with everyone that ep.5 is a bit of a snooze. I almost wanted to stop watching and get back to my work 😱😂 but yes, ep.6 is moving forward again with more questions raised about what’s going on... wait, maybe it’s not “what” that is important but the “when” ~ 😆 what’s that all about anyway... I am still more interested in where are they from?? Not the “when” ~ still cannot see why the when is important. Anyway, no one is going to mention the traveler who landed on the train track could be HTS? Who thinks the same? 

Best moment from ep.6 ~ when they were testing the ear-bud communicator. HTS was being playful but quickly shot down by SH and his facial expression was just too funny 😁  

And I can proudly say that this week there’s no silliness in production that I want to rant on... woohoo 🙌🏻 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

HI everyone.

I'm still watching but life's incredibly busy right now so I've had to limit my participation in the forum. 

At this point Sisyphus is a bit of a mixed bag. Somewhere in the middle of this non-linear, unevenly paced storytelling is an intriguing plot which keeps me coming back. It's a well-intentioned production but there's no denying the flaws. When I say that that the pacing is uneven I mean in large part that the show makes certain editing/storytelling choices that don't enhance the flow. It races through things it really needs to take time explaining, on the one hand, while dwelling on scenes that don't need a whole lot of exploration. I think the show does this because it's trying to maintain the big mysteries for as long as it can. And unfortunately, it's trying a little too hard to retain the K flavour at the cost of sci-fi. IMO. I also think the added involvement of the mysterious and cultish Sigma and their connection to the psychiatrist and her chairman father though interesting seems to be muddying the waters in some instances rather than adding a layer of well-introduced complexity. Furthermore their rationale for cooperating with the organization seems unconvincing and throws up all kinds of ethical questions which leaves me feeling unsympathetic. Moreover, the use of psychedelic drugs to brainwash Tae-sul, especially in the last couple of episodes really adds to the web of confusion.

I don't mind the build-up of the romance as I can see that it has some bearing on the bigger plot and contributes to the temporal loop that's unfolding. Whether or not it ends up meshing well with the political/conspiratorial side of things, that remains to be seen. 

At this point the person I'm most frustrated with is Tae-sul's brother Tae-san. It's true I don't understand his motives and MO. (That's certainly a problem with the storytelling) He seems only to be adding to the chaos. And yet he tells Seo-hae to back off when he knows that his brother is searching for him and putting himself in jeopardy doing so. He seems to be relegated at this point to being a White Rabbit that pops up from time to time leading Alice into the bowels of this mixed-up world of Wonderland. I wonder about his concern for his brother. 

On a more positive side, I like the exploration of the dystopian future. The war came about because of the sequence of events leading up to it. To someone, the technology or what the tech does was worth the price that Koreans paid for it. It is in someone's interest not to change the past. I imagine that's what the Control Bureau is for.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

16 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Anyway, no one is going to mention the traveler who landed on the train track could be HTS? Who thinks the same? 

I thought so too initially but why didn't the brother recognise him or was it that he didn't see the face? However the photo the guy had could really be a hint to us.

12 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't mind the build-up of the romance as I can see that it has some bearing on the bigger plot and contributes to the temporal loop that's unfolding. Whether or not it ends up meshing well with the political/conspiratorial side of things, that remains to be seen.

I think I was expecting the romance but I am not sure if I want it as bad as I normally would . Lol! For some reason I can't buy the romance just yet if she doesn't tell him more about why she needs to save him so badly . I kind of feel a bit sorry for Park Shin Hye here because Seo Hae's character lacks personality . And I don't feel anything for her. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

6 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:
23 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I thought so too initially but why didn't the brother recognise him or was it that he didn't see the face? However the photo the guy had could really be a hint to us.

I don’t think he got a good look at the person just as we’re purposely not shown the face too. By the way, the casting team did a really good job casting them as brothers. They really do look alike, don’t you think? 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

16 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

The guy who landed on the train track is Sigma.

f17c2a1ca26a482282996b150daaa701.jpeg?s=

Kim Byung Chul Talks About The Reveal Of His Mysterious Character In “Sisyphus: The Myth”

Mar 8, 2021 by S. Nam

JTBC’s “Sisyphus: The Myth” finally revealed insight into Kim Byung Chul’s character!

“Sisyphus: The Myth” is a fantasy-mystery drama starring Cho Seung Woo as Han Tae Sool, a genius engineer who goes searching for the dangerous truth behind his brother’s death, and Park Shin Hye as Kang Seo Hae, his savior from a war-torn future.

Spoilers

In the March 4 broadcast of “Sisyphus: The Myth,” the actor behind the mysterious figure known as Sigma was revealed to be Kim Byung Chul. Despite his brief appearance, Sigma (Kim Byung Chul) left a powerful impression on viewers as a figure who already knows everything that will happen to Han Tae Sool and Kang Seo Hae.

Previously at the press conference for the drama, director Jin Hyuk had hinted that Sigma is their “hidden card” since he is the final villain. Before the premiere, the drama had also revealed three posters starring Cho Seung Woo, Park Shin Hye, and a third unidentifiable figure. Since the release of the posters, viewers have been trying to deduce who the mysterious figure could be.

Spoiler

Kim-Byung-Chul-2.jpg

Following Sigma’s long-awaited appearance in the sixth episode, the drama finally released a new poster revealing Sigma’s face completely. In the poster, Sigma has a frighteningly cold gaze as if he’s looking down on our world with an unreadable expression.

Spoiler

Kim-Byung-Chul.jpg

Surprisingly, Han Tae Sool’s brother Han Tae San (Heo Joon Suk) had known about Sigma’s identity since 10 years ago. Han Tae San had witnessed the moment Sigma arrived to the present as an undocumented person from the future. He had arrived with photos of Han Tae Sool and a list of dangerous events that will occur to Han Tae Sool in the future, including the shooting incident at the conference. Since then, Sigma continued to hide in this world while keeping watch on Han Tae Sool. However, besides brief mentions of the Uploader, the time machine created by Han Tae Sool, nothing has been revealed yet as to why Sigma is observing him.

Regarding Sigma’s reveal, Kim Byung Chul shared, “When the identity of Sigma, who was hidden behind a veil, was revealed, I felt a slight thrill. When the silhouette poster was revealed before the broadcast, I wondered if there would be people who would recognize me despite the silhouette, but no one did. Thanks to that, we were able to generate more curiosity and tension.”

Kim Byung Chul explained, “Sigma is an undocumented person from the future like Seo Hae, and it would be great if viewers could anticipate with curiosity as to what goal Sigma has snuck into South Korea with.”

Finally, Kim Byung Chul commented, “I think one of the points to look out for in ‘Sisyphus’ is why Sigma is after Han Tae Sool and Kang Seo Hae and how their relationships are intertwined. Please look out for whether Sigma will be able to make his wishes come true.”

The production team shared, “Sigma’s face has finally been revealed. Although he has only been watching Tae Sool from the back, he will slowly begin to show his true colors starting from the future broadcasts, pulling Tae Sool and Seo Hae into an even bigger storm. Please show lots of interest in how the the appearance of Sigma will shake up the ‘Kang-Han’ pair’s journey in ‘Sisyphus.'”

Source

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3
On 3/7/2021 at 8:52 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I think I was expecting the romance but I am not sure if I want it as bad as I normally would . Lol! For some reason I can't buy the romance just yet if she doesn't tell him more about why she needs to save him so badly . I kind of feel a bit sorry for Park Shin Hye here because Seo Hae's character lacks personality . And I don't feel anything for her. 

I've only seen her in Memories of the Alhambra and she fares better here. She does a decent enough job as an action hero rather than the generic female lead IMO for obvious reasons. Unlike you I don't mind the prospect of romance because it is built into the writing and is actually being developed in the plot progression. Of course the chemistry part is always up for grabs but for me personally I'm okay with it. 

Is she the girl who wrote him a letter after his recovery from the plane incident? The one who said she wanted to marry him? 

My take on why she doesn't tell him more than she does is because she doesn't want to influence future events more than she has to especially their romance. It's something he has to come to terms on his own rather than be told. He has to fall for her of his "own free will" rather than be influenced by her prior knowledge. Besides if he doesn't see things for himself he can't believe it. This is the Star Trek dilemma... the Prime Directive not to interfere with an underdeveloped civilization. (But they did many times. Heh. It's inevitable.) In any kind of interaction between groups of people, influence/interference is inevitable.

I also noticed that she hasn't said if he's alive or dead in the future. That's the elephant in the room for me at least.

This is one of the usual difficulties with a time travel story especially in a loop de loop situation like this. I wonder how many times has Seo-hae gone back in time and re-created the loop. At least once from what we've seen. It could just be the one time because the forces working against her are pretty powerful. 

So for me I think the time travel stuff is not bad for a K drama. It's actually quite consistent. But what makes it messy are all the stakeholders and competing interests. The way the storytelling is presented makes it look more complex and confusing than it really is. Essentially it is a Terminator type story. As referenced by Eddy also. The bad guys and the good guys are clearly delineated. The power structures as represented by the Control Bureau and Sigma as well as the chairman of Q and T seems to suggest some collusion. And yet, I'm not entirely sure about the Control Bureau's relationship to Sigma because there appears to be an intersection in roles. 

On another note, I'm excited to see that Park Byung-chul has been included in the cast. He's another great versatile actor who can be relied on to bring something else to the table.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

New stills for tonight

Yes! Tae Sul is going to go on the offensive!

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210310/105807833/1105807782.1.jpg

Taesul was vaguely aware of Sigma's existence through threats to him and what Seo Hae tells him. However, Sigma has penetrated Taesul's life much deeper than expected. He was approaching the purpose step by step by buying Kim Han-yong (Jeon Kook-hwan), chairman of Quantum & Time, and Kim Seo-jin (Jeong Hye-in), a psychiatrist and a friend of Taesul. It was'a contract for sharing quantum transmission technology'.

Feeling a great deal of betrayal, Taesul resented to reveal the true nature and purpose of Sigma to the world, but was blocked by Seo-jin's sabotage. She stabbed Taesul's throat to lose her mind, and she brainwashed Kang Seo-hae, Sigma, the Bureau of Control, and Asia Mart that all of this was a delusion of Taesul due to drug addiction. It was all a plan to lock him up in a closed ward. Without the Seo Hae saving him, Taesul might have been isolated from the world by now.

Now, Taesul's counterattack begins. In the preview video released, we could check out the awakening skills. "Just stay there," he told Sigma at the Quantum & Time press conference, which is broadcast live. "I'll go find you." That's a big declaration of war. It implies his strong determination not to be fooled by him anymore. As a result, Taesul plans to face his own fate, which will be repeated like the Sisyphus.

• Like 4

On 3/9/2021 at 7:35 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Is she the girl who wrote him a letter after his recovery from the plane incident? The one who said she wanted to marry him? 

I am trying to calculate as well could she be the one. In last night’s episode, she said she was born in 2012. 

Anyway, I really cannot take this drama seriously anymore 😆 The whole SH getting Asia Mart people to help her rescue TS and the whole blonde guy helping SH and then SH protecting TS from the men in black chasing him, all just too ____ I can’t even think of a suitable word for it, unnatural? ridiculous? I won’t go into details as I promised not to rant. I also can’t really pinpoint, but I think the character SH isn’t written very well....? 🤔
Nonetheless, I know I will be watching this drama till the end. I just so enjoy watching CSW and SDI act. The part when SDI pushed away his two minions because they were sort of blocking him was just too funny I chuckled out loud. This is not a drama I would recommend people to watch but I myself enjoy watching it. Does that even make sense? 😂

• Haha 5

MTDzeiV.gif

10 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

This is not a drama I would recommend people to watch but I myself enjoy watching it. Does that even make sense? 😂

Yes ! :smile: I completely get you here. I also can't recommend this wholeheartedly but I will not be dropping this . My sis asked me that day if this is good...I just said it is a sci-fi comedy that needs the right viewing lens! Watch at your own risk.

I didn't have enough time to watch last night's. Looks like I'll have to watch both episodes at a go.

Preview for next week.

Ooo looks like she gets her wish to go to the amusement park but the joy is short lived. And we get to see a glimpse of how the end of the world came about

3 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Please rant. I would love to read it 😂 This drama is totally not turning out as expected.

Hide contents

I would also like to rant about that harem drama but everyone is so happy there 😭🤣

Tell me in the Dabang about the Harem drama...aahahahah. You can use the spoiler button. I would love to hear your alternative thoughts :D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Yes ! :smile: I completely get you here. I also can't recommend this wholeheartedly but I will not be dropping this .

:laugh:you really are my soulmate in drama watching. I thought I’m the only weird one...

@Chocolate should I rant in Dabang as well then? LOL... it’s too long and I will sound like old grandma nitpicking. Me not grandma yet. 

Spoiler

That harem drama, I can only manage to watch half episode (with rants), and cannot continue despite all the hard selling 😆 

• Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Btw, I kinda low key shipping SH with JS (yes I remember his name now!) Love his car! Why are the kdramas showing cool sports car these days? We saw one in Vincenzo too. 

The part when Asia Mart boss told SH and TS not to ever let him see them as they made their escape, then TS replied take care of yourself-thank you, also left me chuckling 😆 I wish to see these two actors again in another drama. 

• Haha 4
  • Awesome 1

MTDzeiV.gif

For what it's worth, I enjoyed eps 7. The drama is maybe making more sense now and I think the best bit was the "awakening" of Tae Sul. It took him 6 episodes to figure out what was going on, and he finally realises now that the one person that he needs to go head to head with is Sigma. 

At this point, we know that Sigma is from the future since he had appeared on the train track  in eps 6 with the black luggage plus  he supplied a special medication to Chairman Kim's wife. This must be something advance that is not available in the present. Is he in cahoots with the Control Bureau or is he the ultimate big boss there? Anyway, Chairman Kim and Seo Jin were at his mercy and had  to help him get hold of Tae Sul .

Just some quick recaps:

They spent quite a bit of time at the start showing us how Jae Sun struck the lottery with the numbers that Seo Hae gave him. While initially stoked at having so much money, he still could not forget Seo Hae. He felt indebted and started looking for her. Long story short ,after some staking out in front of TaeSul's place, he saw her and the was able to save her at the night of the event. He brought her home , and his sis who was a student nurse helped treat her wounds. Later when she got better, she finally told him that she is from the future. Anyhow she told him that he & his family had to leave given the war would break out soon.

She went to see the Asia Mart guy and used  key that he wanted as a bargaining chip to get him to help her find Tae Sul and also get air tickets for Jae Sun's family to leave for another country. The guy helped her & they "teleported" the EMP jammer along with their wedding photo to him allowing him to escape and long story short she was able to save him like what we saw at the end of eps 6. Some cute romantic hints there - it's interesting that he behaves like a cute lost puppy when with her and that he is amazed at her how cool she is in the fight scenes.

Seo Hae is beginning to think strategically. She used the key as a bargaining chip but she also knew that there would be no loss giving the key to the Asia Mart guy since she had this feeling that the blueprint for the uploader would not be in the safe. And true enough she was right. Tae San left a letter for Tae Sul telling him that he has it , and he knows that this is the only way he can protect Tae San. If the blueprint is found, they will kill off Tae Sul. So now we know why Tae Sun has been trying to stay away from Tae Sul. Asia Mart guy wasn't happy that he found nothing and wanted to kill SH and Tae Sul off. Again Seo Hae had the foresight to tip off the Bureau folks to catch him , and this allowed them to escape.

Later on Tae Sul went to look for Chairman Kim , and found out that why Kim turned on him ( his wife's life was at stake) and more importantly that Sigma was the one who had instructed Kim to invest in Q &T. Anyway Chairman Kim later killed himself - must have felt guilty and also knows that Sigma won't be leaving him alone now that he's spilled the beans to Tae Sul.

At a press conference where they were suppose to announce the appointment of Eddy as CEO of Q&T, Tae Sul came and used it to send a message to Sigma to reveal himself. 

• Like 5

This week episodes feel better for me. The lottery guy also bring more sparks into Tae Sul / Seo Hae's relationship. I'm also a bit moved, he seems sincere in wanting to help / pursue SH. 

The Sigma deal with the chairman using his ALS's wife is quite cruel. When the chairman give in to comply to his request, as the medicine will only working effectively for 1 month, this scene quite sad to me. 

ALS disease itself, has been generating debate about euthanasia. As its causing atrophy and degenerative disease by the nature. 

I think the timeline on this drama a bit unclear for everyone. So it seems Sigma already arrived in around 2001, with US attacked 9/11 & stocks collapsed as background. Tbh, I also unsure whats the current timeline or maybe I've been inattentive (forgive me sometimes I dozed off 🙃). 

But among the K-drama running now, this somehow managed to get my first priority to watch. I'm the minority, but I love the OTP. I opened shipper thread, 😅 it's like graveyard 😆, but I enjoyed them. Come & join if you're interested 🤣

P.s - I'm really waiting for full release of OST & BGM from this drama. The song when TS / SH smile together in rooftoop is to die for ! 

• Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@SilverMoonTeaI have also watched eps 8 & find that it does get more interesting

Eps 8  had two key important parts. The 1st where we saw how Sigma arrived in 2001 and met Tae San at the train tracks. He disappeared after that but it was clear that Sigma already had a well-laid plan ( unsure whether he has done this before). His luggage had some interesting things - newspaper cuttings with lottery number wins & stockmarket predictions, plus medication for ALS . Of course , with such foreknowledge he made a lot of money on horse races, lottery and the stock market including buying put options in future markets so confidently because he knew about the 9/11 tragedy. He met his fund manager then and made the latter very rich, and also made the connection to Chairman Kim. Kim's wife was at the end of her life , and he offered the drug . Kim desparate for a cure tried it , and it worked. So eversince Kim had no choice but to help Sigma as Sigma only releases the vial with the medicine a bit at a time. So this Sigma person has been there all along from 2001 till the present timeline of 2020. The war will happen on 31 Oct 2020.

Now back in the present, Tae Sul through his face recognition programme managed to find the face of Sigma and his fund manager. He discovers that the fund manager had died and we saw how the latter was killed when he was trying to make his way to  warn Tae Sul about something he found out. TS & SH visits his dead wife.  She doesn't know much about Sigma except that her husband had an argument with him in their home recently. Sigma had also given them a disturbing painting of buildings on fire when they first got married.

This part I found it abit hard to swallow but okay I will go with it ...:MewGiggle:, genius Tae Sul using the painting somehow could envision where Sigma would have painted  - I get that logic as in it will give him an idea which building / area Sigma may have been viewing the buildings from. But anyhow TS & SH managed to track him right to the exact room/ studio that he was in. It was a trap of sorts. The studio had lots of weird paintings but Sigma was no where to be found. Anyway , someone came but left and our duo gave chase. They caught up with the guy ( he had a deformed ear - I guess he is from the future too)  , a fight ensued & SH hurt her hands . Some bricks were thrown down , but TS pushed SH away. It killed the guy who vanished into thin air. TS took SH back to nurse her wounds. 

The 2nd part - We also got to see  more of the dystopian future that Seo Hae lives in. In previous episodes , her father had been shot, and his wound needed antibiotics. Against his will, she left for the hospital to get his meds for him. It was heavily guarded and this lead to many action scenes when she tried to steal the meds. A lot of chasing right into the woods , where she fell in  a hole (was a collapsed building). Anyhow she escaped & next morning while figuring her way out she came upon her own grave. The diary was there. The letter / note in the diary was written by Seo Hae. So my takeaway here is that just like you can have many copies of the same files, seems like there can many copies of Seo Hae. Anyway the diary was laid next to the skeletal remains  of Seo Hae and Tae Sul(there's a cross there - looks like the church where they got married) . The message was that the Seo Hae that picks this up needs to go save Tae Sul. So my guess is that this Seo Hae we see reading the diary is the one that we see now in 2020 saving Tae Sul. When the alive Seo Hae touched the remains of the dead Seo Hae, notice that the bone seem to glitch and SH could read the memories of dead SH. 

New OST 

BTS

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Now that I know how this people make money with those uploader, it makes me wanting it even more! I thought its just for my lazy morning coffee time, to transfer ice cube or sugar cube  😁 @abs-oluteM

I was mentioning in other thread, but the OST when SH in amusement park ep 8, timestamp 50:00 is beautiful. The same with in my fav scene when SHxTS smiling in the bridge.

Spoiler

• Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

On 3/12/2021 at 12:20 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Nonetheless, I know I will be watching this drama till the end. I just so enjoy watching CSW and SDI act. The part when SDI pushed away his two minions because they were sort of blocking him was just too funny I chuckled out loud. This is not a drama I would recommend people to watch but I myself enjoy watching it. Does that even make sense? 😂

Although the storytelling is kind of messy, it's still a fun show and CSW's Tae-sul makes it worthwhile. I think that he is acutally reasonably written. I adore all his expressions in this. It's one of those bombastic K dramas where you have to shut your brain off now and again although I don't think it's nearly as bad as some others... no names mentioned. The set-up could have been better and the two most reason ones are better now that the show isn't trying so hard to conceal crucial information. At the very least the show confirmed a few things that I'd been thinking about.

Whether I would recommend this show that still depends on what happens in the second half. I still think there's scope for the show to be better  and that's because the world building is actually okay.

As expected Park Byung-chul is terrific as Sigma, who is a fascinating figure of villainy, a much needed injection into the storyline. In many ways he is one in a long line of comic book villains. I'm intrigued that he took the trouble of returning to the past very well equipped with historical knowledge to ensure that everything would happen exactly as it has. A disturbed human being that came out of the war very scarred. But instead of being anti-war as some others are, he wants to see the world burn again. Or is it just the technology that he wants and the burning of Korea is just an "unfortunate" collateral damage? It occurs to me that the uploader does more than send people back to the past. There must be other applications of it like revolutionizing medicine perhaps. Is the ALS serum a hint of that? A kind of longevity drug perhaps.

Glimpses of the dystopian world continue to be drip fed to us on a "need to know basis". I wish there was more of it except that Tae-sul isn't a part of it so that's a downer but we get to see how Seo-hae becomes a gunfighting survivor. We gained some insight into medical care of the future. The hospital in question seems more of a fortress aka Fort Knox than a place to care for the sick as it was once used for. It's virtually empty except for drugs (and soldiers), most likely worth their weight in gold.

So far the dystopian future feels very much like the wild wild west. The best gunfighter holds sway. "Might is right "that sort of thing. Yeah, it's not a happy place although it's clear that Seo-hae makes the best of a terrible situation. 

I can only imagine that Seo-hae happens to stumble onto her future grave site because the previous SH was there and knew that she would end up there. Although that begs the question as to how she got herself buried in that location with Tae-sul. Did she manage to outsmart the baddies or plan it all? We saw that she managed to outwit the Asia Mart boss. But that will be all part of the second half's unfolding. I hope.

I'm with you @SilverMoonTea in that I don't mind the canon romance. It works for me especially now that Tae-sul really is showing himself to have feelings for Seo-hae. He's less obnoxious and a lot happier to see her these days. Plus him looking  a bit jelly is fun.

• Insightful 4

In the second half of ep.8, when TS held SH's hand, it just hit me hard that finally, CSW is going to be in a romance! I mean I don't consider this as a romantic drama but whatever they give me I'll take :laugh: It's been a long while, and I kinda want to see him having a love line for a change. 

So, about timeline. I'm guessing that the scene where SH is scavenging around the destroyed city/country is the current time plus one year. It's September 30 of 2021? They're currently in 2020, right? The world is gonna come to an end in Oct 30. Which means SH and TS will get married in less than a month? 

But what about the opening scene in ep.1? When is that? There must be other time lines then. I feel that there is a loop (SH been back multiple times) and also parallel time. LOL, I am confusing myself. But this is a good sign that the drama is making me think, haha...  not gonna sweat it though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

So, about timeline. I'm guessing that the scene where SH is scavenging around the destroyed city/country is the current time plus one year. It's September 30 of 2021? They're currently in 2020, right? The world is gonna come to an end in Oct 30. Which means SH and TS will get married in less than a month? 

I'd say the time we see her scavenging around it would be around 2034/5. Roughly 15 years into the future. Not long before she gets "uploaded". Since she's born in 2012, in 2020 she'll be only 8.  :laugh:

I'm reasonably sure after the last two episodes that we're seeing a temporal loop in operation. And that fits in well with the painting of Sisyphus who did his rock pushing stint for all eternity.

• Insightful 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'd say the time we see her scavenging around it would be around 2034/5.

But then, wouldn't those food, and medicine, she managed to find have expired?? She's gonna have tummy ache munching on them! That's not good...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

9 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

But then, wouldn't those food, and medicine, she managed to find have expired?? She's gonna have tummy ache munching on them! That's not good...

The medicine might not be an issue. That's kept at the hospital and they can easily buy that from neighbouring countries or make their own in facility within the hospital. Or have it helicoptered in from Japan or the US. The logistics of that is not too difficult to work out.

It's true that the show doesn't deal with all these inconsistencies very well. To me what was surprising is that no one else had got to the processed snacks already. Or if she had been a regular visitor to the run-down amusement park that she hadn't seen it before. But I just shut my brain for that. It's processed food, right. It's ridiculous how much preservatives are in one of those packets. At worst it would be stale and by now, I'm sure they're all used to eating stale food. Sigma was eating sardines or tuna out of a can despite being served freshly prepared food.

It doesn't have to be exactly 15 years into the future but sometime in that 15 year period. The reason why I think it's closer to 2035 is because finding the diary is what motivates her to get onto the uploader. It all depends on what the waiting list for the uploader is like.

Purely speculation on my part of course.

12 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

A question.

Sigma from 2035 looks quite mature. Maybe about 50+?

So in 2001, he should be about teens/20? Who is he?

Spoiler

I thought maybe Lotto Boy at first but now I'm not sure. He could just be some disgruntled artist from the future that we haven't met yet.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3