Sisyphus: The Myth / 시지프스: The Myth - [2021]

im0202

I actually confused and don't even know what's the confusion about what anymore 🤣😅... As if this not telling you how confusing this drama are... 

The drama all kind of over the place. I'm amazed with myself still hold up until ep 13. Tbh I'm more excited to see the BTS of Cho Seung Woo & Park Shin Hye, and I think this is the only motivation for me to continue watching this. 

And PSH seems really working hard with all these action scenes. God bless me to finish this drama... 3 more to go! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@Chocolate I am still watching but not without frustration. Nevertheless I thought eps 12 & 13 wasn’t so bad . I finally got the big picture or so I think :pandascared:. Basically everything that is happening now & will happen in a few days of the present time line is the work of the future Sigma going on a revenge against the world for his terrible childhood & his own insecurities.  

Since there have been many failed attempts by Seo Hae to prevent the war , it really doesn’t matter if there are small changes along the way if the ultimate choice made by SH & TS are still the same . The death of Seo Bok ( Sigma’s present self )  would have been the best way to stop all this . Present Seo Hae will get to grow up in a better world though future Seo Hae will disappear. I agree with you @40somethingahjumma - TS is clearly not thinking things through . Even if he’s able to stop the war, it is not possible for the Seo Hae he knows to exist with the 9 year old SH now.   While I am still unclear about the rules of how the time slip works in this show , I am certain two Seo Hae’s   existing in the same time line would break the rules. The message I’m getting in the last couple of episodes is that a sacrifice of some sort has to be made to save the world. 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I'm just finished ep 11....

I joked about MoA having a doraemon door as the characters seem to teleport from Spain to Korea. I didn't expect to actually see a doraemon door in PSH next drama aka Sisyphus 🤣.

7002_0-82944400-1617311137_videocapture_

7002_0-91436500-1617311137_videocapture_

And...the dreamland sequence was so weird. Or was it just me? I find it off that Taesul bawled his eyes out when bro gave him the injection, saved his life and said they will not meet again in the future but the next moment he wakes up with a smile 😅.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

81NYo5.gif - Royal Hotness x Coffee

@abs-oluteM I don't really think it's that difficult to get one's head around what's going on either. It's really just a temporal loop playing itself over and over again because human beings are predictable on some level. It's not that different from 365 where despite given a second chance people still make the same mistakes because it goes to their character. That's probably the whole point of bringing in the Sisyphus mythos. Going around in circles, acting predictably, doing the same o'l same o'l thing repeatedly. I also think that there have been at least 2 other attempts to stop Sigma but they failed for the reasons we saw in Episode 13. Tae-sul might be a genius but he can be manipulated easily enough via his brother or Seo-hae. It feels like the show is saying that he can't save them all and stop the war in which the lives of millions will be destroyed. And I definitely agree that if the show is to be consistent, some kind of sacrifice has to be made if the war of 2020 is to be stopped. It's insanity to think that you can keep doing the same thing repeatedly expecting a different result.

I also think part of the problem with this show and the storytelling is that even though the stakes are supposedly high, from the way the protagonists are written and directed to act, it doesn't really feel that way. That sense of urgency isn't there in the way it was in 365 or Kairos or Times. It isn't easy to do sci-fi but Kdramaland makes it doubly hard for themselves by insisting on forcing all too familiar tropes on potentially good plots where there's no need to. The result is floundering where there really shouldn't be. Rules get broken etc etc just to achieve a certain result.

That's why there are only 3 or 4 really great K sci-fi dramas to my mind.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 4/2/2021 at 5:32 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I also think part of the problem with this show and the storytelling is that even though the stakes are supposedly high, from the way the protagonists are written and directed to act, it doesn't really feel that way. That sense of urgency isn't there in the way it was in 365 or Kairos or Times.

This is true. Some scenes felt rather irrelevant , and perhaps they should just do 12 episodes . Some of the episodes are so long too. 

---------------------

I think eps 14 was pretty decent & held my attention. Finally we see that this present loop/ reset is going to be different. Everyone who is from the future must have  done this a dozen times or so - since they seem to have come prepared for the nuclear war. Or went into a routine to prepare for it. I think the turning point here is that TS knows that he has to make different choices from before . His bodyguard from the future gave him the ashes of his bones from the future grave. Touching that he realised what had happened  and I think from this he finally realises  the sacrifice he has to make.

After losing Seo Gil Bok, SH was so mad , she left TS. Not knowing where to go , she went to the bunk where she grew up in post the war. It was surprisingly furnished nicely & had food/ meds etc to last a very long time. All the engineering problems were also fixed.  I have no idea at what point TS got all this done  but hey since he said he was a man with tones of money & clout, I guess things can be done almost instantly . LOL!  He came to look for her - they made up and she even gave him some quick lessons on using the gun. Then the surprising bit , he started glitching which caught her by surprise -  he locks her there & tells her he will return for her. He was going to kill Sigma himself. 

In hindsight after eps 14 , it does seem that I may have underestimated TS especially when I was cursing him in eps 13 for not seeing the bigger picture. That bunker he prepped was to protect not just the Seo Hae he knows , but it was also just in case he does not succeed that the present SH and her parents will survive this. The fact that Sigma felt rather disturbed by this sudden change in what normally would have happened as per their records,  could mean that TS may actually be able to bring a change.

The one thing that annoyed me was Jae Sun not leaving for America. While he was helpful to SH before, it really felt like he was a liability this round when they caught him and convinced him to go look for SH. Sigma needs to have SH back in the picture in order for history to repeat itself. So now I wonder what is Sigma's motivation for this constant reset. I am assuming each round he adds more information to what he knows & tweaks things to be better for the post-war Korea where he has dominance and control.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM I didn't mind Episode 14 either although I still think there was a lot of unnecessary filler material. Audiences should be able to join the dots on their own without a lot of the extra footage like Seo-hae's training regime. It might have been more useful at the start of the drama but at this point it feels completely irrelevant after having witnessed her running away from bad people repeatedly in both timelines.

However in light of Sigma's ultimate agenda, a lot of head scratching stuff in the earlier episodes makes a bit more sense. Why the Control Bureau went easy on her, let her off the hook when they could have captured her and killed her. She was always just bait as far as they're concerned. What they always wanted was to recreate the chain of events leading to her meeting Tae-sul, giving them opportunities to fall in love and then use her as leverage to force him into making the uploader. While she thought that she was protecting him and keeping him from the baddies, she was in some sense a tool in Sigma's machinations. The upside is as you say @abs-oluteMthat Tae-sul finally wised up in his fight against Sigma after experiencing temporal displacement due to contact with his ashes. He had to change the game entirely to stop playing out the same o'l drama that they had in a different time. I feel somewhat confident now that if Tae-sul plays his cards right, it's possible that no one has to die for the war to be stopped. If his plan involves the uploader I have some inkling of where he's headed but it's all speculation right now. But I'm a bit more optimistic about the resolution than I have been. 

Sigma's real superpower is his ability to read people. But maybe that's all because it's deja vu for him. He knows these people better than they know him. At the very least he knows where or how to push their buttons to get them to do what he wants. My kids claiming to be enjoying Park Byung-chul's performance even while they find the character despicable.

I also thought that Jae-sun hanging around Korea ridiculous. To be honest, I found this artificial love triangle silly and unnecessary. It's one of those notorious tropes that really wasn't needed or well-used. His crush on Seo-hae was unconvincing and funnily enough his sister was right on the money. He doesn't do a whole lot in the latter half of the show except at one or two key moments. And now he's just baggage.

Although Eddy seems to be a pathetic creature, his desperation to cling on to Seo-jin despite knowing everything he does is a different kind of evil. Being in love doesn't justify his more recent choices. Apparently some people are quite happy to see the country burn if they can get some benefit. To me it's as bad or worse than Sigma. I wonder what Seo-jin's mother would think if she knew what her daughter was doing for her sake. Future Seo-jin aka Agnes seems to be atoning for her sins with the orphanage.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Finale week. I cannot believe I persevered through this drama. :pandawhat:.

According to the article here: https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210407/106283258/1

Three things to look out for :

● How and why Sigma started a nuclear war?

October 31 of "Sisyphus" is the day when the Republic of Korea falls. The start was when a nuclear bomb fell at the Wolseong Nuclear Power Plant. Then countless missiles flew into Seoul without people avoiding it. All of them were absolute evil and Sigma (Kim Byung-chul)'s plans. This raises the following questions. How and why did Sigma start a nuclear war? In a preview video released after the last broadcast, Han Tae-sul (Cho Seung-woo) said, "You shot with a nuclear bomb," amplifying curiosity about the truth on October 31.

● What did Cho ( Tae Sul)  see on Time Paradox?

Han Tae-sul, who was at a standstill in Sigma's elaborate scenario, made a final decision. After seeing the future with his own bone powder brought by Yeo Bong-sun (Tae Won-seok) from the future, he predicted Sigma and the end. In the future that Tae-sul, who had briefly passed, was himself and Kang Seo-hae (Park Shin-hye), who were confronting Sigma in the cathedral on the last day. In the future that the Seo Hae saw here, it is important that if they were wearing wedding dresses and suits, Taesul saw two people in casual clothes. This is because it suggests that the future has already changed. Then, the plan to beat Sigma, which Taesul viewed as a Time Paradox, is expected to be the biggest viewing point for this week's episode.

● What Happens to Sung Dong-il on October 31st

Finally, it is necessary to find out what happened to the Ph.D. of Asia Mart (Seong Dong-il.) His real name was Park Hyung-do, who was jailed for murder, and was able to survive the October 31 nuclear war. Then, he took the uploader as an advance team and set up Asia Mart. It was to wait for a family that had not yet been handed over. While it has yet to be revealed who he killed and why other families have not yet been handed over, the recipient of the 3 million won he spent every month turned out to be his current wife. Park Hyung-do doubted his wife's extramarital affair and even used domestic violence. The doctor, who always shed tears looking at his wife who lived with bruises, showed regret for the past and sorry for his wife. part where Bingbing (Lee Si-woo) asked him, who seemed to be planning something on October 31, " Is it the day that Dr. Park died by Park Hyung-do?" stimulates curiosity about the doctor's ending as well.

---------------------------

Tonight!

106288535.1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Wow... I have to give Sigma a standing ovation for all that he’s planned and done. He’s very smart in orchestrating incidents and people to his favor. No wonder he has so many followers. 

Meanwhile, our supposed heroes continued to be outsmarted by him. The preview showed some hope, and of course the good has to win in the end, although I haven’t the slightest idea how the situation can be overturned. At this point, I really don’t mind TS or SH having to sacrifice their lives in order to win. 

Anyway, I just have to say that Officer Jung is the ultimate foolish stupidest person controlled by his misplaced emotions/anger. I think I almost sprained my eyeballs rolling my eyes at him 🙄 I want to reach into the screen and smack his head so badly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

On 2/18/2021 at 11:50 PM, im0202 said:

On the other hand (rant incoming), the shooting/running sequence after this was really bad. The bureau goons really have to go back to shooting practice lol. They had so many opportunities to take easy shots at the two but you’re telling me not a single shot landed?!

On 2/20/2021 at 7:52 PM, mademoiselle said:

The scene which you guys have already pointed out for PSH on the roof, I also agree. She was like Rambo with everyone shooting at her and miraculously all of them suck at aiming.

We have an answer now. It was intentionally planned by Sigma. They were pretending to shoot at them! 🤣

I'm totally lost with this drama.

I thought only a copy was sent back. But it looks like Star Trek - the real future person is beamed back to the past. Then when this person dies in the past, how is there another one from the future to go back? How is the looping done? 😵

They've not actually showed us any loops right? So far, I see only 2 timelines:

1.  Seo Hae in the future - that is the time period before she went on her first trip back to the past

2. Seo Hae in the past - this is the current period we are seeing and will be her last trip since they are meant to be successful this time (hopefully).

😵🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

TBH , I saw some spoilers for the finale...I kind of expected it given the way the drama was headed. 

But I read that it was all rather confusing 

Spoiler

What do you all think?

Spoiler

sad kiss?

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Party! 1

Woohoooo!! I finished the drama! Congratulations to me! 

This is really a drama that will go down in history which I will remember very well; one that made me persevere watching solely because of the cast alone. Seriously, only the acting was great. The writing, the directing, a massive bunch of mess 😆 I don’t even want to bother thinking what went wrong and what could’ve been done better. No rants from me... 

Nuff said... Ciao! I am alighting the uploader and getting out of the time loop! 😉😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Woohoooo!! I finished the drama! Congratulations to me! 

This is really a drama that will go down in history which I will remember very well; one that made me persevere watching solely because of the cast alone. Seriously, only the acting was great. The writing, the directing, a massive bunch of mess 😆 I don’t even want to bother thinking what went wrong and what could’ve been done better. No rants from me... 

Nuff said... Ciao! I am alighting the uploader and getting out of the time loop! 😉😁

I'll join you 🙄🥱😴

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 2

I completed the episodes! Hooray.   :pandahappy:

I think I get what the story was trying to achieve till maybe the last 10 minutes of the show. Especially when the title is called Sisyphus - it was clear that no matter what our protagonists did , the outcomes cannot change if they kept making the same choices. The process may be different each time they reset or repeated the cycle but because TS loved SH, he always ended up sacrificing the world to save her. But the irony is that he and SH could never be even when he chose her and made the uploader because the uploader  lead to  the post-apocalyptic future that SH would live in. A world that had no Tae Sul.  So it has always been a zero sum game here for him. 

Prior to TS shooting himself , he thought that he had beaten  Sigma at his own game. He took the uploader with SH so that they could go back to another  timeline where they could kill Sigma off. They were successful. With that final kiss and Seo Hae glitching , it seemed like he was truly breaking the cycle of this fate. But  then SH didn't disappear.  When Eddy Kim came to the church and shot Seo Hae, it finally dawned on TS that the tragedy & war ahead had nothing to do with Sigma. He was the catalyst for it all. He knew then that he really had no choice but to sacrifice himself.

It made sense  ....Or so I thought :shocked:. Then they throw in that airplane scene  and Sigma , the artist back at the his apartment looking at his notes , smiling at himself in the mirror while looking just like TS. Suddenly, I am not sure if the cycle has ended. But is that even logical - no uploader means no time travel right? Maybe my mind or line of thinking has been too simple.

The one scene that was actually quite moving and surprising was the fact the Bing Bing was Asia Mart ahjussi's daughter. I always wondered why she was so overly interested in what he did and often followed him around. It finally made sense.

Seeing the BTS etc, it was clear that alot of money and work was poured into this drama. This was supposed to be JTBC's 10th anniversary special. While there were parts of the drama that wasn't so bad and to which I enjoyed ( mainly CSW related), the drama failed to live up to the high expectations I had, given all the hype that went into promoting the show. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Aiya noooo, I sometimes come in here enjoying your funny rants/posts @ktcjdrama @Chocolate

So, tell me, I see people comparing this ending to Alhambra. However, I think Alhambra on a whole tells a better story, although the ending is not ideal but makes more sense than what @abs-oluteM just described above.

Since if Tae Sul killed himself, that should stop the loop since there's no uploader made. So why the show goes back to the airplane scene (with Tae Sul this time instead of seeing Tae Sun, sees Seo Hae) and that Sigma impersonating Tae Sul...? Is there a parallel universe involved?

Recent Sci-Fi (dramas) had been disappointing and there are more to come which will air on Disney+ and Apple TV (Lee Sung Kyun!)... I hope these will be better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Aiya noooo, I sometimes come in here enjoying your funny rants/posts @ktcjdrama @Chocolate

So, tell me, I see people comparing this ending to Alhambra. However, I think Alhambra on a whole tells a better story, although the ending is not ideal but makes more sense than what @abs-oluteM just described above.

Noooooo. Alhambra's story was coherent and consistent. It's an open ending and that is subjective. I was perfectly fine with it. Whereas Sissyphus is... simply illogical.

We have to assume there are no parallel worlds. We were not shown any so that should not be a reason to explain anything about this drama.

1.  How does the loop work? I wrote in an earlier post - the actual future self goes back to the past. So the future one doesn't exist anymore. Then when the one in the past dies... Do we have to wait for the current one to grow up? 🙄

2.  The sequence of events in this drama is all wrong.

• It all started because S Korea was bombed - that is the event that happened FIRST. Then it gave opportunity for Sigma to plan and carry it out his plans using the uploader. So how can it be that Sigma was the one who caused the bombing AFTER it had already happened?
  • That last scene where Seo Hae and Tae Sul took the uploader to go back and kill Sigma - come on, this is a cop-out by the writer. It is BECAUSE Sigma was killed that both are still alive to take the uploader. So how can the killing happen first before they take the uploader?

3.  It is said that the future person who goes back to the past has no memories. This is true for everyone, even Sigma, who has to rely on the notes provided by the Control Bureau. But when Seo Hae and Tae Sul took the uploader back, they remembered everything! 🙄

4.  Exactly when did Sigma take the uploader back to 2001? Tae Sul used Sigma's age as 53 in current time, when he was searching through Quantum Time's employee database. That means in 2001 he was 34 - same age as Tae Sul since they were school mates? That means he travelled back in time very soon after the bomb. Is that possible? In addition, when Seo Hae took her first trip back, 15 years after the bomb, Sigma was there in his leopard coat with no shirt 🙄 So does that mean Sigma travels back and forth frequently? When the drama says some people lose their arms and legs during the transportation or don't even survive? 🙄

Frankly, that scene where Seo Hae and Tae Sul went to Sigma's house to kill him then got into an argument, I thought it was unfair. Sigma is a pathetic creature. He probably suffers from mental illness. Tae Sul created the uploader without thought of ethical issues (like Google now firing its AI experts when they question ethics - we're going be like Terminator world one day😅). He has also been shown to be an insensitive/selfish/arrogant person which is why even if Sigma is killed, there will be someone like Eddy. So that mantra "Save Tae Sul = Save the world" does not make sense. It should be "Kill Tae Sul = Save the world". Which he finally acknowledged at the end.

Regarding the ending, in that current timeline, Tae Sul has died. Sigma is still alive. There is no uploader. Technically the story ends. How is there another loop? If Sigma wants to get rich, he will have to find another way. There is also no reason for him to be motivated by Tae Sul because he is dead. Sigma has won! The end. 👏 So the writers can't even write a proper open ending 🙄🥱😴

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:
  • It all started because S Korea was bombed - that is the event that happened FIRST. Then it gave opportunity for Sigma to plan and carry it out his plans using the uploader. So how can it be that Sigma was the one who caused the bombing AFTER it had already happened?
  • That last scene where Seo Hae and Tae Sul took the uploader to go back and kill Sigma - come on, this is a cop-out by the writer. It is BECAUSE Sigma was killed that both are still alive to take the uploader. So how can the killing happen first before they take the uploader?

IKR....I was so confused here - I too was under the impression that the bombing happened 1st . Then somehow as the episodes unfolded , it seems like he caused the bombing since they were so obsessed with killing him off . And that actually happened when they shot him . However his personal flashbacks gave a different story about how the 1st bombing happened when he was trying to kill himself and he didn't venture out for 2 months....lol! :pandaheadstomp:
The editing and storytelling were very confusing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Have put my thoughts in spoiler. 

Spoiler

Hats off to all of you. You guys really watched episode by episode. I just FFed and completed it. I get what they wanted to show but the implementation was very poor. The story might have looked good on paper but fell flat on screen. One of the poor dramas of 2021 in my opinion. No offense to anyone who likes it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Brilliant speech, I mean post @Chocolate Just brilliant! You get a standing ovation from me too. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I agree about Alhambra. I watched that one diligently too, even doing a live-caps. I was frustrated about the ending (coz was watching raw) but it was fine after second thought/watch with subs. It’s probably just not what most people want it to be because of the OTP status. 

One rant for @mademoiselle ‘s sake 😆

Spoiler

They cannot even have the decency to get TS death done properly. He (supposedly) shot his head on the right side, but he was on the ground showing a perfectly intact head, no obvious blood too except those on the carpet. At least have his head turn the other side if they still want to show his handsome face, you know what I mean...

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Btw, forgot to share that on other forums, I read that the plane scene was sort of like TS’s hallucinations before dying? Except that it’s hard for me to accept that too because when you blow your head, it’s instantaneous death. No time for hallucinations...

23 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

This was supposed to be JTBC's 10th anniversary special. While there were parts of the drama that wasn't so bad and to which I enjoyed ( mainly CSW related), the drama failed to live up to the high expectations I had, given all the hype that went into promoting the show. 

This makes me doubly sad... because I’ve always love JTBC’s production and want them to have a good landmark of anniversary. The casting is amazing in this drama. If only the production team (writers and directors) were less ambitious and simplify plots and development, the drama could probably be a hit watch. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

9 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Except that it’s hard for me to accept that too because when you blow your head, it’s instantaneous death. No time for hallucinations...

You probably don't mean to be funny but I laughed out loud reading this especially the highlighted bit. :laugh:

On 4/10/2021 at 12:27 AM, abs-oluteM said:

This was supposed to be JTBC's 10th anniversary special.

They should remove this label from Sisyphus and give it to Beyond Evil because the drama is highly praised domestically and internationally.

9 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

This makes me doubly sad... because I’ve always love JTBC’s production and want them to have a good landmark of anniversary. The casting is amazing in this drama. If only the production team (writers and directors) were less ambitious and simplify plots and development, the drama could probably be a hit watch. 

A while back when Netflix just started to get more Korean contents, some of those contents made me cringe thinking how could they sell that overseas coz it's so bad (like you don't want the international viewers to curse the bad/rushed ending or execution). There are some that are really good weren't available on Netflix. Sisyphus and LUCA would be such contents best not to be available worldwide coz they can't represent the good stuff SK could provide.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

I haven't read anybody else's comments yet so I'll just write down what I think about the last two episodes and the resolution. 

It feels to me that after the Back to the Future resolution of the finale, the show opted for a supernatural/ religious type of ending. Except I'm not entirely sure which strain of religious thinking it was going for. It's certainly the case realistically and scientifically that Tae-sul should never have survived that gunshot to the head nor should he have made a reappearance in those last few minutes. This isn't Mystic Pop-up Bar so I can't be sure if there are heavenly powers at play in this universe. But I can only imagine that there are in order to explain why Tae-sul survives and enjoys his happily ever after with Seo-hae. He passed the test. He was willing to sacrifice himself to save the country so as a reward, Tae-sul has learnt his lesson. Heaven deems him worthy and he is given a second chance at life and love. Is it reincarnation? Or is it resurrection? I'd say resurrection because the climax always takes place in a church. And even Sigma calls it a place of miracles because it survived the war. It's more like Groundhog Day than I thought. Phil continues to relive the same day over and over again until he learns the lessons he needs to... until he learns he cannot resort to manipulation to get what he wants... until he learns that authenticity is the key to relationship. Putting others ahead of self-interest -- loving one's neighbour as oneself.

As for Sigma's reappearance at the end, I suppose the moral is that evil is not so easily vanquished. Evil will find a different form. It's the old Manichean dualism of good and evil in constant combat. However, as long as there are good people are willing to act, they can't triumph forever.

I've come to accept that K sci-fi will always have an element of the supernatural -- whether it's Fate, God or reincarnation. Otherwise there's no other explanation why all these odd endings and inexplicable telephone calls over separate timelines. On further reflection I think science fiction even in the western tradition has an element of that as well. The mysterious unknown force that directs encounters and ensures that certain human beings get their second chance.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1