Sisyphus: The Myth / 시지프스: The Myth - [2021]

im0202

Basic Information & Cast

Cast of characters:

• Cho Seung Woo - Han Tae Sul (main role)
  • Park Shin Hye - Kang Seo Hae (main role)
  • Sung Dong Il - President Park (main role)
  • Tae In Ho - Eddie Kim
  • Jung Ha Joon - Sun Ho
  • Lee Jae Won - Fund manager
  • Chae Jong Hyup - Sun

Drama description from mydramalist:

Spoiler

Han Tae Sul, a co-founder of Quantum and Time, is a genius engineer with the highest level of coding skills with outstanding good looks that outweighs his engineer fashion sense. Due to his innovative achievements, Quantum and Time is a world-class company, dubbed as "The Miracle of South Korea's Engineering Industry". In reality, Tae Sul has caused his company's stocks to constantly fluctuate after the death of his brother ten years ago. One day, after witnessing the unbelievable truth of his brother's death, he sets off on a dangerous journey.

Kang Seo Hae is a soldier who could zipline from building to building, fight big built men with her bare hands, shoot guns, and install explosives. With the survival skills that she's learned from living amongst gangsters and warlords, she sets off a dangerous path of finding Han Tae Sul.

Edited by im0202
  • Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/14/2020 at 5:41 PM, Tofu said:

The title of this is such a tongue twister. Haha! Sispyphus wasn't the greatest person in Greek Mythology so it'll be interesting to see how this is used in the drama. Thanks for updating and creating the thread!

He wasn't the greatest person in Greek mythology while alive, but I do feel sympathy for him when he finally got his eternal punishment. And, now, of course, most people remember the punishment of eternally rolling a rock up the hill only for it to roll down before it actually gets to the top of the hill.

I think Sisyphus has become shorthand for fighting something that can't be won or for trying endlessly at a hopeless endeavor, so it'll be interesting to see if this title is just metaphor or if one of the lead characters does have an insurmountable task or fight.

Having said all that, I'm actually quite eager to see this pairing since I think both of them are very capable actors. Cho Seung Woo just seems to effortlessly take on any character that he portrays. Park Shin Hye had an issue earlier on of overacting without a firm directorial hand, but that seems to be resolving itself, and I've quite enjoyed her more recent outings.

I don't know if the two of them will have a love line or not, but I do think that they'll have good chemistry together. Looking forward to it.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this a time slip drama? I wonder. Great trailer though -- very action-packed. But there's something about it that gives me a sci-fi vibe. Could be that big mama laser device... :P

Spoiler

There are things about it that make me think that it's like the C drama of the same name. Like  A Groundhog Day kind of scenario

When I think about Sisyphus, I 'm reminded of Albert Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus. It's his existentialist diatribe that influenced at least two generations, I imagine.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

This looks interesting.

Park Shin Hye, who had not much to do in Memories of the Alhambra, has been having a lot of action since then in her 2 movies - Alive and The Call - both were great! Now another action drama.

Watch: Cho Seung Woo And Park Shin Hye Join Hands To Save The World In Teaser For “Sisyphus: The Myth”

Cho Seung Woo And Park Shin Hye Join Hands To Save The World In Teaser For “Sisyphus: The Myth”

JTBC’s upcoming 10th anniversary special drama “Sisyphus: The Myth” released an action-packed teaser starring its lead actors Cho Seung Woo and Park Shin Hye!

“Sisyphus: The Myth” is a fantasy mystery drama that focuses on the genius engineer Han Tae Sool (Cho Seung Woo), who embarks on a perilous journey to find out the truth, and his savior Kang Seo Hae (Park Shin Hye), who has walked a long and dangerous path for him.

Cho Seung Woo’s character Han Tae Sool is the co-founder of the company Quantum and Time. Known as a genius among geniuses, he’s highly skilled in engineering and coding, with good looks on top of that. Han Tae Sool’s innovation has raised Quantum and Time to an international level, and he’s known as a national hero and a miracle in the world of Korean engineering. However, things are different in real life. After his older brother’s sudden death 10 years ago, his eccentric behavior has made the company’s stock fluctuate. Then one day, he finds out an unbelievable truth about his brother’s death, setting him off on a dangerous journey.

Park Shin Hye’s character Kang Seo Hae is a powerful warrior who slides down ropes between Seoul’s high-rise buildings, knocks down large men with her bare hands, and is skilled in everything from sniping to setting bombs and hand-to-hand combat. She mastered the skills she needed to survive in a world conquered by gangsters and warlords.

The teaser gives a glimpse of the dangerous world Han Tae Sool and Kang Seo Hae live in. Kang Seo Hae fights against mysterious figures who attempt to end her life. Despite all the struggles she has to go through, she does whatever she can to survive and protect Han Tae Sool. She claims, “If I save you, you can save the world.”

Kang Seo Hae and Han Tae Sool join hands and vow to be each other’s saviors. Han Tae Sool declares, “Let’s put an end to this,” and Kang Seo Hae confidently exclaims, “We can do it this time. I can change everything this time.”

Source: Soompi

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

The 1st teaser looks action packed & JTBC had subs too! Are we dealing with aliens here ?

Article from here explaining what is going on

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20201223/104605004/1
(translated with Papago)

104604991.1.jpg

JTBC's 10th anniversary drama, "Jeon Chan-ho, director Jin-hyuk, production drama house, JTBC studio," depicts Han Tae-sul (Jo Seung-woo), a genius engineer, and Kang Seo-hye ( Park Shin Hye) , who has traveled a long and dangerous path for him.

The above video begins with an indication that other beings are living in hiding in this world, which we believed  only we were living in. In the video, mysterious beings were spotted. However, tension rises as someone says to genius engineer Han Tae-sul, "They're looking for you." This was why various gun battles and chase were taking place for him.

"Kang Seo-hae, the savior who appeared in front of the endangered Tae-sul, is good at all kinds of tactics such as shooting, chasing, and six-party warfare."  The reason why she came to Tae-sul, even though she risked her life is because of the belief that "If I save you, you will save the world."  Tae-sul and Seo-Hae, who will hold each other's hands tightly and become the saviors of each other, "Let's see the end this time," "I think we can do it this time. I think I can change everything," she said. "Will I be able to end the Sisyphus's yoke and save the world?"

The short 90-second teaser video alone raises expectations of prospective viewers to infinity as it feels the differentiated action of acting masters Cho Seung-woo and Park Shin-hye, and the visual beauty and grand scale that transcends time and space.

Sung Dong-il, who is known to have joined the Sisyphus, also took off his veil for the first time. Curiosity is also added to his luxury performance, which has a somewhat mysterious aura, such as covering half of his face with sunglasses and carrying a gun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

Wohoo, I am new here. But I think I do know some of you guys. Nice to meet you all.

11 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Is this a time slip drama? I wonder. Great trailer though -- very action-packed. But there's something about it that gives me a sci-fi vibe. Could be that big mama laser device..

As far as I know, JTBC has tagged this as fantasy mystery not a scifi. That being said I feel that the punishment which the Sisyphus got in Greek mythology to push the boulder up again and again will be represented as a time loop in this drama. In the trailer itself at around 1:14 minutes, the events happen backwards and both the leads say that they will do it this time. 

Well that's just my guess though..

• Like 1
  • Insightful 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Hello @pompyavi

Sounds like the movie, Edge of Tomorrow, starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, which was quite enjoyable.

"When Earth falls under attack from invincible aliens, no military unit in the world is able to beat them. Maj. William Cage (Tom Cruise), an officer who has never seen combat, is assigned to a suicide mission. Killed within moments, Cage finds himself thrown into a time loop, in which he relives the same brutal fight -- and his death -- over and over again. However, Cage's fighting skills improve with each encore, bringing him and a comrade (Emily Blunt) ever closer to defeating the aliens." [Source: Google]

Edited by Chocolate
  • Insightful 4

Hi @pompyavi Welcome to JangHaven and to this thread. Look forward to watching this together.

I saw this article which mention that there is time travel involve. 

https://pioneerscoop.com/2020/12/22/sisyphus-the-myth-everything-about-upcoming-k-drama-series/

Plot For Sisyphus: The Myth

The upcoming South Korean drama fantasy series will center on the story of an intelligent engineer named Han Tae-sool who wants to reveal the actual truth behind the death of his older brother, an elite warrior named Kang Seo-hae  & travels back in time to help him in his journey. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

23 hours ago, im0202 said:

Ooh time travel... hoping this one will pan out much better than the other time travel drama I watched this year.

In any case, my expectations are high because CSW chose this project and he doesn’t do that many dramas. 

I think i am guessing the correct drama you didn't like. (Alice?) If it is that, I dropped it after watching 2 episodes, in a way it tried to copy some parts of another scifi series that I absolutely love and is one of the best scifi series in my opinion. 

Initially sisyphus was categorized as a scifi drama but later they changed it to fantasy-mystery. I am keeping my expectations low as I was highly disappointed with Alhambra. But nevertheless I will be watching it because of CSW.

• Like 3