Pg9dTEO.jpg

Director: Kim Min Yeong

Writer: Oh Ji Young

Korean Network: KBS2

Other Network: Netflix

Air Date: August 26, 2020

Air Days: Weds & Thurs

Episodes: 16

Goo Ra Ra (Go Ara) is a pianist with a sunny personality and bright laughter, who has always been quirky even in difficult circumstances since she comes from a wealthy family who is able to solve things with money. Her family becomes bankrupt one day, though, leaving her with nothing. She ends up at a small village after her family's downfall.

Sun Woo Joon (Lee Jae Wook) comes across as a tough and mysterious person with a lot of secrets, but has a warm heart. He is free spirited, but also without any ambition in life, getting by on working part-time jobs. Goo Ra Ra and Sun Woo Joon meet at a small private piano academy La La Land in the village where they end up falling in love.

credits: Asianwiki.com, MyDramaList.com

• Like 3

MAIN CAST

4cRAKsi.jpgGo Ara - Goo Ra Ra

9zIXgJV.jpgLee Jae Wook - Sun Woo Joon

wIZJRXa.jpg Kim Joo Hun - Cha Eun Seok

SUPPORT CAST

Ye Ji Won - Jin Sook Kyeong (Ha Young's mother)

Shin Eun Soo - Jin Ha Young (Sook Kyeong's daughter)

Lee Soon Jae - Kim Man Bok

Yeo Yi Sook - Jo Yoon Sil (Woo Joon's mother)

Moon Hee Kyung - Gong Mi Sook (piano teacher)

Moon Tae Yoo

Song Min Jae

Lee Sun Hee

Park Sung Yeon

Jeon Soo Kyung

Uhm Hyo Sub

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This drama started, and I actually enjoyed the first episode more than I thought I would. Here is a summary of episode 1 in the spoiler.

Spoiler

RaRa is the spoiled only daughter of a rich, doing father. Her mother passed away after giving birth to her. Because of her father's love and support, RaRa is a confident young woman. The one thing is that RaRa's mother had loved classical music, and her father thinking that infant RaRa had an affinity for classical music has her schooled in piano. She ends up studying piano for 20 years, all so that she could play Mozart's Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for her father at her graduation recital. Then she quits piano, having accomplished her goal of playing for her father.

She goes and does all the girly things that she wasn't able to do because she was focused on learning piano, including getting an over the top manicure and spending all of her time with adorable little dog Mimi (think she's a Bichon Frise?). She then gets set up on a marriage blind date with a materialistic doctor who agrees to marry her with the understanding that her father would buy them an apartment and set up a hospital for him. To be fair, it's as much his mother who is the blatantly materialistic one.

Unfortunately, on the day of her marriage, her father has a heart attack after hearing that his business has failed. The groom's mother, hearing the news, grabs the grooms hand and runs him away from the marriage venue leaving the bride in the aisle. Her father dies, and RaRa is left alone. Her father's lawyer tells RaRa that all of the assets have already been claimed by creditors and that the debt collectors will be after her, so she should stay low, even avoiding the funeral. He gives RaRa a bag of cash though to help her find a new place to live.

RaRa is scammed by a real estate agent of her money. I wonder if this is a huge problem in SK. There seem to be quite a lot of story lines dealing with real estate agents who scam people out of their money and then do a runner.

We meet Jun as he's working construction as a day laborer. There is a scary looking man chasing him, who we later learn was sent by his mother to find him. Jun witnesses a delivery man having an accident in front of him, and the delivery man asks Jun to deliver a bouquet to a wedding for him. Jun agrees and delivers to bouquet to RaRa which is how the OTP first meet.

Later on, after Jun runs away from his chaser, he sees a poster for Eun Pyo City, and ends up moving there.

Before RR was scammed, she had received a text message from a DoDoSolSolLaLaSol about how if she was feeling lonely and lost, she should come to Eun Pyo City. She doesn't pay attention to it at the time, but after she is scammed and has nowhere to go, she remembers the text message. Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol is the opening bar for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, so she decides the message must be from someone who knew her father. She packs her stuff and Mimi and drives to Eun Pyo.

As she's entering Eun Pyo, Mimi becomes car sick and as RR looks over at her, she nearly swipes Jun, but crashes her car instead. He comes to check on her and recognizes her.

For a rom-com, it was a relatively sad beginning, starting as it did with the death of RR's mother and finishing with the death of RR's father which leaves RR alone to fend for herself.

Also, they tell us from this episode that Jun is probably a rich kid rebelling from his family, though I expect there to be some serious back story to explain what is going on there.

We are also introduced to Cha Eun Seok, a doctor who had married for money, but is now burnt out. He divorces his wife, giving up her money as well, and has started working at a small hospital in Eun Pyo. He was at RR's aborted wedding, however, since her prospective husband had been his junior at the hospital they had both worked at.

Oh, and it's also revealed that Jun's parents also own the hospital that CES and RR's aborted groom had worked at.

So, lots of coincidences and probably a lot of recognizable tropes. it'll just be a question of whether the acting will be good enough to pull the audience into familiar rom-com territory. Lee Jae Wook as Jun is really an impressive man, conveying a seriousness in his demeanor that makes you want to find out more. RR is transparent as glass and perhaps as thoughtless, but she's a good hearted person and will probably have to mature a lot during the course of this drama. I have to admit that Go Ara is not my favorite actress, but she might actually be good in this role.

So, it was a light, emjoyable watch of the first episode, even with the bracketing tragedies. We'll have to see how this drama holds up in the upcoming episodes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very cute episode 2 and I like episode 2 more than 1. I don't know how to explain it but Rara is like the female version of Seo In Guk in Shopping King Louis. She has that charm (?) or power that makes people do things for her LOL.

A-ha! I just came back from checking, it is written by the writer who wrote Shopping King Louis! Although she (I think) didn't do well with My Secret Terius, I do love Shopping King Louis. Lee Jae Wook is :heart: in this drama and I'm really happy that he's finally a good guy. I was getting worried after Memories of the Alhambra, Extraordinary You and Search:WWW, he is going to be type-cast.

• Like 4

I'm enjoying this drama so far though the female lead is one of my most hated tropes - the ditsy, gullible girl who cries a lot and for no good reason 2 or more guys will fall head over heels for. Oddly enough, I'm still invested this time around and not smashing my screen yet out of frustration over the female lead. I even found the second episode cute. Maybe it's because I really like Lee Jae Wook and it's his first lead role. And he's playing a super nice guy with a mysterious past (haha, which is one of my favourite tropes). :BulbaOWO:

Or maybe it's because that bossy school girl who is after him is so very annoying that the ditsy lead is annoying me less. :ChikoWTF:

I do like the relationship between the bossy school girl and her hairdresser mother though. It's funny and kind of cute how they bicker.

Speaking of Lee Jae Wook, I'm not even sure what it is about him. I think he's a good at portraying a lot of little nuances in his characters that make them seem deeper or more conflicted, so they don't just seem one dimensional. And he seems very charismatic! I've heard lots of nice things he's done for fans :SquirtleNiceAhah:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

I'm loving the 2 episodes, despite the storyline is so common. I guess it's the charm of LJW? I already liking their first meeting so much. Her wedding dress is just so pretty, and he got withdrawn & bewitched by her since their first meeting? She said goodbye and he said no? Haha... 

He looked so capable, yet so naive. He completely at her majesty service.

And he already got so jealous with Dr. Cha. That scratching hair, don't even looked dangerous, but he was so unhappy about it. For kind of stranger, the way he picked her up was so comfortable? :lenny:

Cross my fingers, they can kept it fun pace, and bring more interesting stuff to the story. Or else, I think I probably can survive just watching LJW on screen haha...

Their BTS also cute...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@JenL Same here, I do think LJW portrayed Jun'ah maid very well haha... He played Baekkyung in Extraordinary You pretty well. So I'm happy finally he got his first lead role that is well deserved. 

Her style looked cute, and I'm waiting for this scene. I do a bit worry for FL development character, as so far she's quite simpleton & too one dimensional. 

0004282990-002.jpg

Some goodies from press con: 

download-76.jpg

download-74.jpg

Spoiler

download-72.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 10/9/2020 at 4:40 AM, mademoisellesia said:

he's finally a good guy. I was getting worried after Memories of the Alhambra, Extraordinary You and Search:WWW, he is going to be type-cast.

But he was a good guy in Search: WWW! In fact, he had the cutest second romance with Lee Da Hee! I hate to admit it, but in some ways, their romance was more fun to watch than the OTP was. :heart:

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

@stroppyse any interesting crumbs here? That is not in trailer 1-4 that has been subbed before? 

The extended trailer is pretty cute. Thanks for posting it. It actually has 2 intertwining themes in the trailer. 1. RR having to adjust to life in the small village and having no money. 2. The speculation behind Jun's background since he's good at everything, including speaking English and playing basketball. The speculation ends with Jun saying that he's only graduated middle school and that he has no family.

RR then says that she'll become his family for him and that he should gain strength from having her support to which he responds that it doesn't even bear thinking about. He then encourages RR to open a piano school.

Jun does seem to be playing guitar, and he sings Twinkle Twinkly Little Start to RR over the phone when she asks him to sing a song, and it apparently worked as an effective lullaby.

I really enjoyed Shopping King Louis and My Secret Terius, so I'm definitely watching this drama on the strength of the writing. Go Ara is more often a miss than a hit for me, but she seems to suit RR well, and I do like LJW, so happy to see him as a lead her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally caught the second episode, and enjoyed it. It's still a bit of froth, but then again, I guess that's what this writer likes to write. Having said that, I thought that the OTP interactions were pretty funny. It's not love or anything like that, but RR and Jun are clearly drawn to each other, even if it's because they both feel so alone.

It was funny how RR kept "borrowing" money from Jun to pay for food, her hospital stay, Mimi's vet stay, etc. Jun is totally going broke lending RR money. So, it seems as if RR is going to sublet space from Jun, so that they will be living together albeit as roommates. RR may be being a bit picky right now, but Jun seems to have become her lifeline really, and already, she's come to rely on him and not wanting him to be too far away. Jun, for his part, has been drawn to RR since he first saw her in the wedding dress about to marry another man. I'm glad that they had the conversation about the wedding, though it was slightly mean of Jun to pretend not to know that the marriage had been called off due to the groom running away.

Speaking of the groom, I guess he really did like RR after all? Just not enough to prevent his mother from embarrassing RR and leaving her in literal ruins at the alter. I can't even imagine that he's now thinking of trying to get together with RR after all. I don't think it's serious since he doesn't seem to have enough spine to back his mother off.

As for the doctor, I think there is more to the story there. He clearly knows RR even though she doesn't know him. I know that the doctor must have heard stories from the ex-groom-to-be jerkface, but he still seems to have a keen interest.  Interesting that he doesn't tell jerkface where RR is, when he knows.

Go Ara is doing a good job with RR, and is making her pretty likeable. Her comedic timing has gotten better, and her mannerisms are not as overdone as she has been in previous roles. Despite her spoiled princess upbringing and naivete when it comes to life without money, RR still remains engaging and relatable. She has a good heart, she's just never had to fend for herself or really to be all that attentive to others.

The schoolgirl with a crush on Jun is annoying on the other hand. However, as @JenL pointed out, her relationship with her mother is cute, and that keeps her character more grounded for me. We'll see how her character development happens.

And Lee Jae Wook. Even with his bit part in Memories of Alhambra, he was noteworthy, and it's good to see him as lead here. He does soulful very well, but I hope that this role gives him more scope. So far, I do love what I see of Jun, though. Jun is such a good guy, though with some obvious chips on his shoulder. Plus, the whole thing with his mother who is probably just his legal mother, I'm guessing, rather than his bio mother.

Looking forward to the next episode.

• Like 3

LMAO @SilverMoonTea I went to sleep and the thread exploded with these many posts of you spazzing Lee Jae Wook! And a DP change too! I guess the abs really help, eh? :laugh:

@stroppyse Alhambra (Bad) → WWW (Good & Bad) → Extraordinary You (Bad). I know he is technically a good guy in WWW but half of him was still acting as the bad guy. So it feels like he's continuously played a villain. And the last was Extraordinary You which he was just going over the top losing temper left, right and center, so much so that I sometimes feel like if Dan Oh get together with him, he's going to abuse her that kind of scary bad (him kicking the furnitures and all). So Jun is perfect! I already liked what I see of this character from episode 1.

P.S. I'm opposite for WWW, I'm more into Tami and Morgan. The show is filled with mature women so the second pairing was a bit way too cute and naive for the theme of the show. I'm also not convince Seol Ji Hwan can remain this pure and innocent for the course of 10 years being in the entertainment industry, as we know how dark this industry is. However I think their pairing is fun to watch. The cuteness balances out and giving the viewers a break from the serious problem the angst 1st OTP face. 

Back to Dol Sol La...

From the get-go, this show won't be super "wow" with its storyline, yet it's going to be light, stress-free and super fun. I'm thrilled because that was how Shopping King Louis was like. Even when the OTP or the story got serious, it's still being dealt with in a light manner because the characters were written to be more cute than harmful, even the villains. This show definitely have many resemblance to Louis which is why it had me look it up in the first place. In this instance, Louis has transformed into Rara.

Go Ara did a good job portraying this role. That naivety and pure innocence. The happy-go-lucky demeaner. When she was crying on the floor, I didn't get annoyed and I chuckled like Dr. Cha. Amuse at the reason she cried wasn't because she's worried about money but because she's frustrated she cannot get to her itchy scalp. Even though Dr. Cha seems to be more interested in Rara now but he's destined for hairdresser Sook Kyung based on the character chart.

I think many of these guys who were mesmerised by Rara saw her at the performance playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars, I believe that includes Jun as we saw from the epilogue, someone looks like Jun was sitting on the top, side level and smiles. Rara definitely left a strong impression on Dr. Cha since that day + he knows she's supposed to be wife to friend. I think he didn't tell him because he was being protective, knowing nothing will come out good from telling the friend.

For Jun, I just love he's so automatically become Rara's maid. I am bemused when he said it with such matter-of-fact casual tone (not at all annoyed) to Rara, "To lend you money I have to go do part-time job" which can be interpreted as he's doing more part-time jobs so that he can feed her, and she's all "Yes, do it..." without feeling an ounce of guilt. It's just hilarious. The best part I think is how natural it all fall into place for the both of them. There was no awkwardness at all. She automatically trust and relies on him and he takes her in without feeling burdensome.

@SilverMoonTea I thought he was going to hug her but yes, when he pulled her up from the floor and took her away I felt my heart skip a beat for that gesture. Hehe. He's staking a claim on her already.

Oh, and the last picture, I won't be surprise if they slept together (nothing naughty) because Boksil and Louis also sleep side-by-side because Louis wanted a company. So it is likely that Rara requested the same from Jun, especially now this "character" became a female.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@mademoisellesia LJW also acted as good guy in When the Weather is Fine. I actually never worried he will be typecast. He seems to be in a good company. He has 5 dramas 1 movie so far, and all the roles have been varied, IMO. Fell in love with him in WWW after knowing he was that kid in Alhambra. This guy can act! and holds himself up well against the senior ones he acted with. He will surely go far in the industry. 

Anyway, I enjoyed Terius a whole lot, so I will be checking this one out, despite the FL whom I have a hard time warming up to. Missing is ending tonight, I shall get onboard here soon. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

@ktcjdrama

What about 18 Again?! 😭

Oh yes I forgot about When the Weather is Fine. True he was a good guy in there. His bad boy Baek Kyung really sticks with me long and hard, I guess. Hopefully as Jun this image will replace Baek Kyung 🥰

The irony of it is I have seen all of his works since debut (except the movie) even though I have not fallen for him. He definitely got propelled to male lead quite quickly come to think of it. The generation before him played supporting roles for so long e.g. Lee Joon Hyuk until recent years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Actually their situation is pretty interesting. For a total stranger, Jun willing to help her in that extend can be quite weird. Hence, Dr. Cha also questioning if he has other ulterior motive.

But what I like here is, since their 1st meeting it was already depicted that he's bewitched by her. He paused and blinking his eyes couple of times to look at the beautiful bride. It's also funny that he said later on, you were that pristine bride and now so dirty. For that very short period, Jun clearly haven't thinking straight. She said goodbye, and he don't want to be separated & said no. She's so going to get married! Ha! 

He might have seen her during the twinkle star performance, but I still think he mesmerized with the bride is totally a separated case here? 

In RR side, with all her problem she also still have time to fangirling Jun :laugh:. She concluded that Jun is handsome, during the hair washing process and when Jun is working at cafe, she also kept staring at him non stop. She also clearly trusted him so much too and very comfortable with him. She even lean on him when he riding the bicycle. I guess we will continue to see this very strange union to be going strong. 

Dr. Cha, I guess stand no chance between them. For him I think the reason he curious about RR is because she's so carefree during Twinkle Star performance, it could inspired him to break from his old unhappy life. And now she want to help her as well. Both Dr. Cha & Jun surprisingly already at each other throat since the beginning. I was ROFL when he's stated how come the victim accident taking care of the perpetrator instead. And yes Jun already showed him who is the boss & the winner here haha... I also read somewhere Dr. Cha himself is an ex-pianist and will become the daddy long leg? But I was not too sure he's the do do sol la do? As there's 1 more guy photographer which we don't know his background at all yet. 

Oh I really didn't expect to like this cliche romcom so much, haha! The only MV I could find out, go & enjoy it. 

• Like 2

@SilverMoonTea Have you seen Shopping King Louis? It's not so strange for Dol Sol if you have seen that one, LOL. Everyone just does what they are asked by Louis i.e. become his servants, it is quite funny. And I just love the special effects they put on it too. Him having a crown on his head and the rest were given dog's tails LOL. I can't find this clip on YT, but it's something similar to this... people just ended up doing everything for Louis

Spoiler

• Like 2

Haha, I haven't watched Shopping King Louie, so this is all new to me. When I started episode 1, I was like this is like some sort of hyper drama where everything that could happen is happening in one episode and I was meh on how crazy it was. This drama toes that 'suspension of disbelief' line in the same way that a lot of super dramatic Spanish dramas do, so it  just sits at the limit of my logic tolerance XD but I'm really enjoying the colourful and cute ride. I think crazy events in K-dramas are normal *Ahem, Crash Landing* But the speed and intensity at which they happen determine just how hyper/ 'believable' I find them to be. 

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

RR then says that she'll become his family for him and that he should gain strength from having her support to which he responds that it doesn't even bear thinking about. He then encourages RR to open a piano school.

Jun does seem to be playing guitar, and he sings Twinkle Twinkly Little Start to RR over the phone when she asks him to sing a song, and it apparently worked as an effective lullaby.

Go Ara is more often a miss than a hit for me

This sounds so cute! The whole reassuring they'll be family and the lullaby. Aside from an initial attraction, I do think Jun is drawn to her because he's lonely from always being on the run and she's the type of character who is naive-not-super-smart-but-super-warm in her girly way. I've never really liked Go Ara, but somehow I'm doing ok with her in this drama. Lee Jae Wook is balancing her out XD But honestly, I think she's balancing the more naive 

5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Jun, for his part, has been drawn to RR since he first saw her in the wedding dress about to marry another man. I'm glad that they had the conversation about the wedding, though it was slightly mean of Jun to pretend not to know that the marriage had been called off due to the groom running away.

Speaking of the groom, I guess he really did like RR after all? Just not enough to prevent his mother from embarrassing RR and leaving her in literal ruins at the alter. I can't even imagine that he's now thinking of trying to get together with RR after all. I don't think it's serious since he doesn't seem to have enough spine to back his mother off.

As for the doctor, I think there is more to the story there. He clearly knows RR even though she doesn't know him. I know that the doctor must have heard stories from the ex-groom-to-be jerkface, but he still seems to have a keen interest.  Interesting that he doesn't tell jerkface where RR is, when he knows.

And Lee Jae Wook. Even with his bit part in Memories of Alhambra, he was noteworthy, and it's good to see him as lead here. He does soulful very well, but I hope that this role gives him more scope. So far, I do love what I see of Jun, though. Jun is such a good guy, though with some obvious chips on his shoulder. Plus, the whole thing with his mother who is probably just his legal mother, I'm guessing, rather than his bio mother.

I'd say it's not so much Jun being mean that he was pretending not to know that the groom ran off. But he was probably trying to be polite or help her save face, but then it all came out which was doubly embarrassing for Rara. 

I'd agree that the groom probably does like Rara, but I think he's too much of a mummy's boy to stand up to his crazy mother, who is clearly money hungry. And being chicken, and selfishly comfortable with his lavish life, he didn't seem worried enough to try secretly finding her, even though he knew that she'd be homeless and in a terrible situation.

I do find the doctor mysterious. He's one of those characters that seems to know more than he lets on. But I feel like he's in the category of guys who might potentially be under Rara's ditsy-need-to-protect-her spell. I totally agree he is protecting her from his friend, who seems to be more superficially attracted to her...and from Jun, who he believes to be a con-artist (and who he might know something about from the past)

Soulful is a good way to describe Lee Jae Wook! I find him to have a maturity that seems beyond his years (he is only very young! Early 20's?) I think can seem very reflective,thoughtful and empathetic...but can also be convincingly cool, irritated and impulsive when it's his character's moods.

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

4 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

For Jun, I just love he's so automatically become Rara's maid. I am bemused when he said it with such matter-of-fact casual tone (not at all annoyed) to Rara, "To lend you money I have to go do part-time job" which can be interpreted as he's doing more part-time jobs so that he can feed her, and she's all "Yes, do it..." without feeling an ounce of guilt. It's just hilarious. The best part I think is how natural it all fall into place for the both of them. There was no awkwardness at all. She automatically trust and relies on him and he takes her in without feeling burdensome.

Oh, interesting. I actually took this scene as Jun was being a bit sarcastic about it, though not annoyed. But what made it funny was that RR didn't see any humor or sarcasm in what Jun had said. Instead, RR agrees that Jun has to go work to make money to lend her. ROFL

I guess it is a scene out of SKL where Louis is thoughtless spender, but BS never loses her temper with him, even though she does make him return his purchases and makes him do chores for spending money.

I guess the difference for me is that BS was a bit of a naive country girl with a big heart.  Jun, however, is definitely not naive nor an innocent boy, though he does have a big heart. That's why I thought his remark was a bit sarcastic, though his delivery isn't. Plus, he's not unwilling to cover the expenses that RR is wracking up.

But, totally agree with your last point that she trusts him absolutely, and he's become very protective of her.

2 hours ago, JenL said:

Soulful is a good way to describe Lee Jae Wook! I find him to have a maturity that seems beyond his years (he is only very young! Early 20's?) I think can seem very reflective,thoughtful and empathetic...but can also be convincingly cool, irritated and impulsive when it's his character's moods.

Thanks. LJW is young. I think he's still in his early 20's from when I looked him up in Search: WWW. Anyway, he pretty effectively played a teenager with anger management issues in Extraordinary You, where he actually got me to feel sorry for him that he wasn't going to get the girl.

I don't find LJW to be terribly handsome, but there is something compelling about him that keeps me watching him in his various roles. The hot bod that @SilverMoonTea requires in her oppas is a definite for him, of course, but the acting talent is such that I'll actually take a chance on a drama that he's in even if it might otherwise sound meh.

Anyway, I am enjoying this drama. Glad you are, too. With this writer, the coincidences are stretched very, very far, but she doesn't go completely into fantasy land. And, she tends to like to write scenes of broad physical comedy, but not in a mean way, so I'm looking forward to more of those.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1