Through the Darkness [Those Who Read Hearts of Evil] 악의 마음을 읽는 자들 [2022]

17 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

One of my favorites but I need to put a caveat on this recommendation as it has this wacky sense of humor which not everyone would appreciate. Writer wrote Chief Kim and Vincenzo as well so at times can be over the top (in some of its scenes ) but I personally had a blast.  And KNG  was very good in it. 

Try 1st few episodes and see if it is your taste. Have you seen Live Up To Your Name? I love that one too. 

11 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Same felt so long too... so sad... 

I have watched Fiery Priest and it's very entertaining. But his character is very different with our Ha Young. So I recommended to finish TTD first then going back for FP. I have a serious good laugh because of FP 😂

Thank you, both!

I've seen Vincenzo (which I enjoyed a lot), but not Chief Kim. I think I have an idea of what you mean by wacky sense of humor. :laugh:Will definitely give Fiery Priest a try after finishing TTD as SilverMoonTea recommended. I think that ordering makes sense. TTD is actually my first KNG drama so I have not seen Live Up To Your Name either, but I read the synopsis which seems interesting. I do like time travel/slip stories. I will put it on my list too. :smile:

In the meantime, I will watch the special episodes since Eng subs are available now. (Just realized Grid is out. Might check it out this weekend.) 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 4
On 2/18/2022 at 8:23 PM, ktcjdrama said:

I cried when the parents were being informed of their daughter's body being found, I cried when Kook called his wife and asked about how their daughters are, I cried when the parents were gathering the belongings of the little girl when the case wrapped up. 

Awww, you're a softy @ktcjdrama 😍 I cry more for drama funerals than real ones, but I've yet to cry for a murder story lol.

I've watched Fiery Priest and Chief Kim. Both started well, but I felt it weakened in the second half. There was something missing in the resolution of the situations. Had to fast-forward to get to the end. Vincenzo was a vast improvement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
13 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Awww, you're a softy @ktcjdrama 😍 I cry more for drama funerals than real ones, but I've yet to cry for a murder story lol.

:laugh: I cry more for dramas than in RL too. I guess it's the BGM accompanying it, haha...

I don't usually cry for murder stories, and crime investigation is one of my favorite genres. But maybe because this case is really just so awful, and me having a daughter, I could relate to the parents feelings more. Like I mentioned earlier, the director/writer did well in creating the feels to the cases without going too much into the details. You hardly see the back story of the victims, yet you can feel the sadness. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote

21 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I cry more for dramas than in RL too. I guess it's the BGM accompanying it, haha...

I completely resonate with this! I cry watching a lot of things but in RL if someone is crying in front of me, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I end up just staring at them blankly. :lmao2:

More episodes this weekend, yay!! I need my crime shows back because too much romance lately. :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I can't tell you how happy I am now that this show back, and it was a super solid episode some more. This drama have my highest focus ever, I didn't even play with my handphone at all. 

I love even this drama is so dark, but they never fail to give some relief by his boss & maknae antics that always cheer the normally sombre HY. 

And they know well how to cut to end the episode for us wanting to see more of HY chasing & fighfing the serial killer. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

11 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I can't tell you how happy I am now that this show back, and it was a super solid episode some more.

Yes really good. This is a true procedural because it focusses mostly on the investigations, and the human drama is not so exaggerated. Nevertheless, I appreciate that we get some lighter moments.

Spoiler

They should really listen to HY - he was of course right that there were two murderers. So far his analysis has been pretty spot on. I was actually quite surprised that they caught the younger killer. But I suppose, he became bolder & bolder and it was only a matter of time he gets caught. What is annoying though is that Kim Bong Shik - being the Chief and an experienced detective can lose him like that. He should cuff one of the guy’s  hands to himself. Or at least take out his gun or something. ( Okay maybe they can't do that) . Anyhow it was so frustrating they lost him. The only "good " thing was that we saw KNG do some action scenes! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

So happy there were 2 episodes available. Was expecting only 1 this morning.

Some thoughts:

• Again, the killer dropped into their laps 😆 Not to put down the police force or anything, but so far, all the killers were not caught using BAT's profiles, notwithstanding that HY is accurate with his theories.
  • Bong Shik - we are going to see him suffer at the end right? Maybe they will find out that he has been taking bribes from the reporter. He needs some punishment.
  • Captain Yoon - Glad she finally said thank you to HY for helping her to catch the criminal years ago. But she still did not mention that HY helped her again this time. I didn't really get it fully - did Bong Shik say he threatened that criminal not to mention that it was HY who caught him and not Yoon so that she could get promoted? What was it that caused friction between Yoon and HY over that incident?
  • How can the junior guy in BAT bring his reporter friend back to their office? All the details and analysis about their investigations are on the boards and paper all over their desks. And they leave her alone in the room too? 🙄
  • I'm surprised that HY is still so affected by his interview with GYC. Thought he should be less sensitive by now. Even I am. They all seem to blame their bad fathers, they are all egoistical and they all don't feel remorse.

My comments above may seem that I am complaining. But nooooo, I'm enjoying it very much 😂

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
5 hours ago, Chocolate said:
  • How can the junior guy in BAT bring his reporter friend back to their office? All the details and analysis about their investigations are on the boards and paper all over their desks. And they leave her alone in the room too? 🙄
  • I'm surprised that HY is still so affected by his interview with GYC. Thought he should be less sensitive by now. Even I am. They all seem to blame their bad fathers, they are all egoistical and they all don't feel remorse.

Agreed . I share your sentiments here. Is it because the analysis team is not part of the main building/ station that they're more lax?  Nevertheless, I wouldn't allow a prying reporter come near any of those classified documents.

I am also somewhat surprised that HY was so affected by what GYC told him . Personally, I'm rather desensitized that I didn't feel myself squirming. Maybe because HY's empathy level is very high even as a child. And perhaps because this is drama , we can detach ourselves; if this was RL , we may probably feel as disgusted. 

I found their talks with GYC ( when he was finally in prison) intriguing. I have watched my fair share of investigative shows but this is one of the rare few that allows you to see the perspective of the killer. Most procedurals focus a lot on the investigation and once they catch the criminal, you move on to the next case. Here we get to see the killer's thought process which is fascinating.  Are psychopaths born (genetics)  or made (environment) ?  An abusive childhood (environment) does seem like common denominator which acts as a trigger - but then again one cannot blame environment alone for the choices they make. Or do they have certain genes or the lack of a some gene that could cause more aggression and antisocial personality disorder? So when combined with a stressful childhood could result in  psychopathic tendencies. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom, Guess Who I Am

I have been a k-drama slump.  but luckily this and juvenile judge has pulled me back. 

Both dark.

This weeks episodes were amazing. the casting, the story and the acting is top notch.

Honestly I should be watching some light seeing how the world is going but rom-com is not my cup of tea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

F1, crime/thiller drama and coffee addict!

FINLAND!

I watched the new pair episodes back-to-back and was completely glued to the screen. Episode 8 was especially good with the interrogation scene between Ha Young and Gu Young Chun. It was amazing to watch Ha Young get into GYC’s mind (and under his skin) and he tells Ha Young everything. Ha Young asked Captain Kook why he picked him. The whole interrogation scenes show Ha Young has a gift with understanding criminals’ minds. On top of that, he trusts his instincts completely and does not waver. If not for Ha Young, Superintendent Baek would not have been able to get GYC to tell them where the bodies were buried and that he lied about being the camping knife killer as well.

22 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Captain Yoon - Glad she finally said thank you to HY for helping her to catch the criminal years ago. But she still did not mention that HY helped her again this time. I didn't really get it fully - did Bong Shik say he threatened that criminal not to mention that it was HY who caught him and not Yoon so that she could get promoted? What was it that caused friction between Yoon and HY over that incident?

This part was complicated, but I think it goes back to the flashback of Captain Yoon’s promotion scene where Chief Kim whispered to her that she needs to thank to Ha Young for it. I believe all these years, she misunderstood Ha Young had told Chief Kim that he was the one who caught the culprit (not her), but Chief Kim actually heard this from the culprit when he was interrogating him. This tormented Captain Yoon because before the promotion, she told Ha Young she wanted to right the wrong, but he insisted that she was the one who arrested him. It seemed she did not know how else Chief Kim who know about what happened, except from Ha Young, so she saw him as a two-face and distrusted him. I am glad she found out the truth (coincidentally from Chief Kim's blabbering) and immediately went to clear the misunderstanding with Ha Young. The belated thank you was overdue, but it is better late than never. It is good she has requested cooperation going forward.

22 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I'm surprised that HY is still so affected by his interview with GYC. Thought he should be less sensitive by now. Even I am. They all seem to blame their bad fathers, they are all egoistical and they all don't feel remorse.

I think each case is different and profiling GYC hit Ha Young harder. He is used to killers with lack of emotions and no sense of guilt/remorse, but he really could not believe that GYC purposely studied human anatomy to efficiently cut and mutilate bodies. He was also disgusted about the joy that GYC got out it. Same as how Captain Kook felt, I liked that Ha Young finally showed his emotional side and opened up about his hardships. It is good that after a tough day like that, they each know they are not alone in this. They have each other to share their worries and fill the void. As Ha Young had said to Captain Yoon, “Detectives are human too.” By the way, I loved the scene where Ha Young laid flowers on the grounds where they found the victims’ bodies.

Most importantly, I am super relieved Ha Young's mom is alive and well! Please protect her - she is too precious.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
2 hours ago, peperomia said:

This part was complicated, but I think it goes back to the flashback of Captain Yoon’s promotion scene where Chief Kim whispered to her that she needs to thank to Ha Young for it. I believe all these years, she misunderstood Ha Young had told Chief Kim that he was the one who caught the culprit (not her), but Chief Kim actually heard this from the culprit when he was interrogating him. This tormented Captain Yoon because before the promotion, she told Ha Young she wanted to right the wrong, but he insisted that she was the one who arrested him. It seemed she did not know how else Chief Kim who know about what happened, except from Ha Young, so she saw him as a two-face and distrusted him. I am glad she found out the truth (coincidentally from Chief Kim's blabbering) and immediately went to clear the misunderstanding with Ha Young. The belated thank you was overdue, but it is better late than never. It is good she has requested cooperation going forward.

Thanks @peperomia for clarifying this part. I totally didn't get that and have always wondered about her animosity towards HY. Initially, I thought it was a romance gone bad lol. It makes so much sense now.

13 hours ago, joccu__ said:

Honestly I should be watching some light seeing how the world is going but rom-com is not my cup of tea.

Try TRACER. Not rom-com and not dark. Quite thrilling. But there is no official subs. So we have to rely on fan subs. Check out the thread.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 4
On 2/27/2022 at 3:23 AM, Chocolate said:

Again, the killer dropped into their laps 😆 Not to put down the police force or anything, but so far, all the killers were not caught using BAT's profiles, notwithstanding that HY is accurate with his theories.

Actually @Chocolate Most serial killers get arrested for another crime or about to commit a crime. These profiles are created only to help detectives know what they are looking for and the behavior of said Killer. 
Captain Yoon Assumes thay HY told BS that he was the one who got the collar and saved her but it turned out that the convict told BS that she didn’t make the collar. Lol  
She may have cleared up her misunderstanding of HY but she is also suffering from PTSD. She is like these woman who have a need to prove she is one of the guys and have what it takes to be a good cop. Her real problem is she doesn’t know how to accept help. She wants / need to make the collar for some reason like it is a competition. She also wants to beat HY but she never will because she isn’t him. Since the time he saved her life, she acted like she has something to prove. 
HY will always be affected by what Criminals say because like the doctor said in episode 1, HE FEELS TO MUCH. He feels the pain of each victim like an empath.
@joccu__ Welcome back to Kdrama land . 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 4

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

New stills 

I suppose this is what HY meant by "I am now you".

Imagining himself as the killer. More difficult than it seems - just like how actors try to embody a certain role and can't  separate their feelings between real and screen. 

FM_R1aaaUAEDDPw?format=jpg&name=large

112151663.1.png

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Eps 9

Like Ha Young said there's no such thing as a perfect crime. Hence the killer's traces are always somehow left at the crime scene. So it is a matter of looking at and for the right thing - hence the importance of profiling criminals in order to understand  their psyche. I know HY was trying to  imagine being a killer in order to wrap his head around a killer's thought process, but there's danger to himself in doing that. Captain Kook was visibly worried seeing how immersed HY was and I agree with his warning that HY should not dig too deep . He risk falling into the rabbit hole and...gahhhh eps 10 spoilers confirmed my fears. 

Spoiler

It was also interesting that at the end of ep9, they brought up the age old debate of whether a psychopath was born or made. While they acknowledge that a bad childhood has a role to play, that alone isn't enough for someone to live like a monster. HY's conclusion is that  it doesn't matter whether you believe if people are inherently good or bad, or if their environment made them that way. They consciously made these choices and thus have to be held accountable. 

Preview:

HY is injured from the accident :cry:

• Like 2
  • Star Struck 1
  • Sad 1

Ha Young was noticeably more engrossed in profiling and somewhat impatient in these episodes. It was understandable why Captain Kook was getting worried about Ha Young – to the point where he was on the verge of smoking again. Even Ha Young’s mother was concerned for him. She noticed he was drinking when he cannot. While with good intentions, Ha Young submersing himself in becoming the murderer inadvertently became a threat to society and to himself. Captain had a point that they are in it for the long haul. He needs to take care of himself and to a certain extent, he must be able to separate himself from work. If he goes in too deep, he may fall into a hole. He has been holding up well on the outside, but given how sensitive and empathetic he is, it must have been difficult for him to do so internally. He thought Gu Young Chun was sadistic. Nam Ki Tae is equally so, if not worse. I can see why profiling him (and the accumulation of previous criminals) drove Ha Young over the edge…figuratively and literally. After the accident, I am hoping he will find a healthy balance between work and the well-being of himself.

On the positive side, as Captain Kook had wished, Ha Young starts to cross police jurisdictions and enlighten them about the method of behavioral analysis in catching criminals. Though doubtful at first, it starts to make sense and they open-up to it. It was nice to see them start to realize the importance of understanding criminal minds and modify their process such as pre-planning how to approach interrogations beforehand. This step forward in cooperating and incorporating BA helped the organization as a whole catch Nam Ki Tae and tie in the various victims to him, which there were shockingly so many.

Is it right that there are 2 more episodes left? I am not ready for the end yet.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

The case in the end of ep 10 I think is from real case of Kang Ho Sun. The guy was dubbed as Korean Ted Bundy as he can easily charm lady and have photo of him and dogs, so the victim easily trust him. 

Spoiler

No wonder Ha Young is so sick & tired with all of them, the last criminal really quite annoying as he goes on and on with thrilling of killing. He gave all the introvert people in the world a bad name 😬

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

The second half of ep.10 was really difficult to watch... It really takes a lot to be able to sit there and listen to that lunatic sharing with elation about his murder sprees. I am like that male police officer, just want to get out of the room and listen no more. You'd think Gu Young Chun was bad, but Nam Ki Tae was even worse by multiple times. Urgh!!

I can see why HY was so overwhelmed by it all that he got into the accident. Good thing he is alright, because the police and society needs a person like him badly. It seems so unfair for him, but his skill of being able to read the mind and dig out information from criminal is very much needed. I appreciate this drama for showing us the works of profilers. Although I have also watched Criminal Minds long time ago, I think somehow this drama told the story of life of a profiler better.  

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Kidnapping // Dog Day // Lovers // Vote