K-Ent Grapevine

Baeksang Arts Awards 2022 - Drama Poll ( Vote for your favorites!)   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Best Drama

• Netflix “D.P.”
    • tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Netflix “Squid Game”
    • MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • wavve “Political Fever”
  2. 2. Best Actor

• Kim Nam Gil – SBS “Through the Darkness”
    • Lee Jung Jae – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Lee Junho – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Im Siwan – wavve “Tracer”
    • Jung Hae In – Netflix “D.P.”
  3. 3. Best Actress

• Kim Tae Ri – tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Kim Hye Soo – Netflix “Juvenile Justice”
    • Park Eun Bin – KBS2 “The King’s Affection”
    • Lee Se Young – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Han So Hee – Netflix “My Name”
  4. 4. Best Supporting Actor

• Lee Deok Hwa – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
    • Lee Hak Joo – wavve “Political Fever”
    • Lee Hyun Wook – tvN “Mine”
    • Cho Hyun Chul – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Heo Sung Tae – Netflix “Squid Game”
  5. 5. Best Supporting Actress

• Kang Mal Geum – JTBC “Thirty-Nine”
    • Kim Shin Rok – Netflix “Hellbound”
    • Kim Joo Ryung – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Ok Ja Yeon – tvN “Mine”
    • Jang Hye Jin – MBC “The Red Sleeve”
  6. 6. Best New Actor

• Goo Kyo Hwan – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Shin Seung Ho – Netflix “D.P.”
    • Yoo In Soo – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”
    • Choi Hyun Wook – tvN “Twenty Five, Twenty One”
    • Tang Joon Sang – SBS “Racket Boys”
  7. 7. Best New Actress

• Kim Hye Joon – JTBC “Inspector Koo”
    • Lee Yeon – Netflix “Juvenile Justice”
    • Lee Yoo Mi – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”
    • Jung Ho Yeon – Netflix “Squid Game”
    • Cho Yi Hyun – Netflix “All of Us Are Dead”

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2022 at 03:59 PM

19 hours ago, Jane said:

I have been reading the tweets online. Koreans are really mad at the creative license that the production has taken with historical figures plus the use of Chinese food. They sent petitions to the Blue House and all sponsors have left the production. Gulps.

Wow they are very serious about their history?? Australians tend to be generally pretty chill with this type of stuff unless there are elements of racism (probably because we don't have dynasty type histories. It's pretty much colonisation so we don't really have that level of respect for historical figures anyway) . I understand the seriousness towards bullying issues for actors...but this is harder to understand :thinking: But in any case I guess all brands would not want to be associated with anything with strong negative public sentiment.

4 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

At this rate , there may be no good dramas to watch. I am planning to watch Snowdrop for my oppa Jang Seung Jo. I hope this does not cause controversy

Yeah I was planning on watching Snowdrop not for an oppa, but for Hye Yoon who I love because she's so cute and always posting Thank yous to her fans. 

I feel like maybe K-dramas need to have focus groups with K-drama audiences when they come up with ideas to avoid getting into hot water later on. Cancel culture has been strong recently...and while it's good for setting things straight with injustices, it's also sometimes applied to other areas when people just don't like something? :lettalKWA::idk:

19 hours ago, Jane said:

I am really curious to know how they would execute it too! It really is super funny with the cells inside. I read parts of it on the Webtoon site but later a friend sent me an epub she compiled. I can send it to you.

oooh yes please when you have time! :CharmanderYay: I would love to see this funny webtoon...I have several webtoons on the go for far, but none of them have finished yet!

• Like 4

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

At the rate the Knetizens are going with boycotting the entertainment, it is most concerning that the toxic live shooting will need to return because production companies can't afford shooting 80% of contents and have it all go to waste later.

Inasmuch as I understand from their point of views on distortion of history because of their respect and admiration for King Sejong, it does appear a lot of the negative feelings stemmed from this production being related to the escalated current affairs with Chinese/China. Although I do think the result of cancelling JE is extreme (money, time and effort all gone down the drain), I agree it was sloppy of the production team using Chinese props — for the Chinese sword and music more so than the food (Chinese mooncakes are not that big in size and short in height. Mooncakes are only to be eaten during festive season it's not available at any time). I do agree the use of Chinese prop is dodgy even with both countries having overlapping cultures. But I also have to argue this drama was scrutinized by K-historians, with all that is happening in the show, general viewers and my eyes/ears don't even have time to notice so much of these inaccurate details.

The concerning after-effect of cancelling JE now is on the losses. How will this production company survive the losses? It's worrisome because the last time I know a production company gone bankrupt, it led to lawsuit and death.

I hope all the actors from JE will not be boycotted and are able to continue with the next projects without anymore backlash.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Please let this happen ...at least I will feel better for him after the JE fiasco :cry:

Source: Soompi

Han Hyo Joo And Park Sung Hoon In Talks To Star In New Apocalyptic Drama

Sports Chosun reported that Park Sung Hoon will be taking on the role of Jung Yi Hyun, who is a violent crimes detective and the female lead Yoon Sae Bom’s former high school classmate, friend, and fake husband. In high school, he drove his baseball team to victory at the high school baseball league and was selected in the second round of the major league baseball draft. However, he had to quit baseball due to a knee injury, and it was Yoon Sae Bom’s sympathy and bravery that helped him get back on his feet. Han Hyo Joo is in talks to play Yoon Sae Bom.

In response to the report, BH Entertainment stated that Park Sung Hoon was reviewing the offer to star in the drama.

------------

More about the drama:

On March 24, Ilgan Sports reported that Han Hyo Joo had decided to star in the drama “Happiness” (literal title). Following reports, a source from Han Hyo Joo’s agency BH Entertainment clarified, “Han Hyo Joo is positively reviewing the offer to star in ‘Happiness.'”

“Happiness” is an apocalyptic thriller that takes place in a time in which infectious diseases have become the new normal. In a newly constructed apartment in a large city where the higher floors are up for general sales and the lower floors are rented out, the drama depicts the subtle psychological battle and the class discrimination that occurs. The city hits rock bottom when an impending apocalypse hits in the form of a new type of infectious disease in which people suffer from unabated thirst.

Han Hyo Joo is in talks to star as Yoon Sae Bom, who grew up in an unhappy household. Yoon Sae Bom is decisive and has fast judgement, and she’s the type to put things into action as soon as she puts her mind to it. Her motto is to live comfortably in the complicated world, but she’s actually a character who can hold a grudge. If Han Hyo Joo accepts the offer, this will be her first time starring in a drama in five years since her 2016 drama “W.”

“Happiness” will be helmed by producing director (PD) Ahn Gil Ho and writer Han Sang Woon, who worked on “Watcher” together. The drama will be produced by Studio Dragon, and it’s reportedly scheduled to air in the second half of the year.

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Mannn, it looks like Snowdrop might possibly be in trouble too. There's a big petition at the moment according to an article that was released yesterday...

https://mydramalist.com/article/petition-for-snowdrop-to-stop-production-gains-over-100k-signatures

• Shocked 2

6 hours ago, Tofu said:

I feel like I shouldn't get excited over any new drama news in Korean dramaland anymore. :niu:

IKR especially when it can be cancelled even after it airs . :pandablank:

let this be true ! 

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM :yoongibtscheer:

@JenL Oh that must be the historical drama JBG was reportedly offered then. Sad. His case hasn't even been confirmed to be real but it's already affected so badly.

Meanwhile Ji Soo and KeyEast is being sued by River production company. US 2 million. Is it wrong for me to feel bad for KeyEast since they most likely weren't aware of Ji Soo's past and it's probably not a norm for agencies back then to do background checks like this.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3

@abs-oluteM @JenL @Tofu @Jane

The sypnosis for Double Dimples drama sounds promising!

“Seashore Village ChaChaCha” will be written by Shin Ha Eun, who previously co-wrote “The Crowned Clown,” and directed by Yoo Je Won of “Oh My Ghostess” and “Tomorrow With You.”

The drama’s production team commented, “A perfect rom-com lineup is complete. Not only will Shin Min Ah and Kim Seon Ho show surprisingly high synchronization with their characters, but the bubbly yet warm story will also provide comfort. Please look forward to their rom-com chemistry that is bound to make hearts flutter.”

“Seashore Village ChaChaCha” is scheduled to premiere in the second half of the year via tvN.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3
6 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

“Seashore Village ChaChaCha” will be written by Shin Ha Eun, who previously co-wrote “The Crowned Clown,” and directed by Yoo Je Won of “Oh My Ghostess” and “Tomorrow With You.”

The drama’s production team commented, “A perfect rom-com lineup is complete. Not only will Shin Min Ah and Kim Seon Ho show surprisingly high synchronization with their characters, but the bubbly yet warm story will also provide comfort. Please look forward to their rom-com chemistry that is bound to make hearts flutter.”

“Seashore Village ChaChaCha” is scheduled to premiere in the second half of the year via tvN.

The Crowned Clown and Tomorrow With You ( SMA was also in this )are personal faves of mine. That is why I am even more happy 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

My heart is very ready to be fluttered! Come at me, drama!

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

@abs-oluteM @Jane I just belatedly realised I copy & paste the sypnosis but missed out a whole chunk that described SMH and KSH's characters. LOLLL.

From soompi:

Shin Min Ah will play dentist Yoon Hye Jin, a woman who has both beauty and brains. Her life plan falls apart because of the tiny bit of righteousness in her heart, and after various obstacles, she moves to the seashore village Gongjin and meets Mr. Hong.

Kim Seon Ho will play Hong Doo Shik, who is known as Mr. Hong around town. He is unemployed officially, but he is a master of odd jobs who appears to help everyone in Gongjin with any situation they run into.

I still vividly remember YSJ was attacked and criticised by SHJ's stans when they did TOL. At Weibo, there are already comments underneath this news that Kim Young Dae's acting can't match hers. I'm not sure it's a good idea he takes on this role against HJ. In truth Young Dae's acting is not yet at YSJ's calibre, he would most definitely be dissed.

I'm glad her career is not being affected by the JE/Mr Queen controversies. And hope that Knet keyboard warriors will cut her some slack with her future endeavours. I've seen Door Lock. Creepy... it was good thriller and reminds girls need to be extremely careful when living alone.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@JenL Oh that must be the historical drama JBG was reportedly offered then. Sad. His case hasn't even been confirmed to be real but it's already affected so badly.

Have many of the cases been confirmed? I only know Ji Soo and Shim Eun Woo because Soompi posted articles about them confessing. :pandascared:

I was listening to a few drama podcasts about bullying scandals recently...haha does anyone here do podcasting aside from make them for Janghaven? There was one where they talked to a professor of Korean studies about the bullying scandals and I liked how they shed a bit more light. I don't know if they mentioned anything particularly new, but I liked the context given to things. For example, bullying accusations don't really have to be proven to be damaging. It's about damaging their reputation through just the accusation since they rely on reputation for product endorsement contracts etc. (I think it was this one that mentioned that). Anyway, it was a good discussion of the complications of bullying scandals and how Koreans should be focusing on fixing the issue rather than shaming an individual, but ignoring the wider issues. 

https://dramasoverflowers.net/2021/03/20/90-whats-up-in-dramaland-special-school-bullying-in-dramas-vs-real-life-when-our-faves-fail-us-feat-prof-cedarbough-saeji/

8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Meanwhile Ji Soo and KeyEast is being sued by River production company. US 2 million. Is it wrong for me to feel bad for KeyEast since they most likely weren't aware of Ji Soo's past and it's probably not a norm for agencies back then to do background checks like this.

I feel bad for KeyEast too. Was that even his first agency? They probably took him thinking he was an asset to their agency and then this happened. It's a good thing Hwang In Yeop got such a big break from True Beauty or they would take such a hit. :psweatduck:

7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Yayyyy! This is sounding so good. I like a good rom com and hopefully he'll get a much better romance storyline to appease his legion of fans this time around! :CharmanderYay:

• Like 4

@JenL Re: JBG

No it wasn't proven and he hadn't admitted to anything, unlike Ji Soo's. His case was being investigated by the police. He's spoken out twice on his IG and aired his frustrations. That was the end of it for now. Like you (podcast) said, he was being shamed and the accusation has ruined his reputation. His agency has also been accused for bullying the victim into withdrawing the initial claims. So who is right or wrong now has become blur. He probably forced to go into hiatus and wait till things have quiet down, which is sad. Whatever happens to innocent until proven guilty? Given the recent events, media and Knetizens are given way too much power to ruin a person's life.

Ji Soo joined KeyEast in 2020. I can imagine how pissed KeyEast management must have been. Ji Soo will probably have to pay them for this damage, which is impossible because US 2M is no joke!

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2020/10/actor-ji-soo-signs-exclusive-contract-with-keyeast

Plus KeyEast has lost Kim Soo Hyun, their biggest money tree. They don't have big hallyu actor like Soo Hyun who can bring in a lot of money in one go from one project or CF. Maybe SM Entertainment can help since they acquire KeyEast.

Yeah just throwing out both Shin Min Ah and Kim Seon Ho's names for the drama is good enough to lure me into checking the drama out. The only SAD thing is, Seon Ho isn't going to look suave in suit with nice combed up fringe like he did in Start-Up. :cry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Yeah just throwing out both Shin Min Ah and Kim Seon Ho's names for the drama is good enough to lure me into checking the drama out. The only SAD thing is, Seon Ho isn't going to look suave in suit with nice combed up fringe like he did in Start-Up.

:cry: We will have to wait another drama for that. Sigh he looks so good in those trench coats. Casual Seon-ho is cute too! But gahhh just those dimples will make anything look good!

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I still vividly remember YSJ was attacked and criticised by SHJ's stans when they did TOL. At Weibo, there are already comments underneath this news that Kim Young Dae's acting can't match hers. I'm not sure it's a good idea he takes on this role against HJ. In truth Young Dae's acting is not yet at YSJ's calibre, he would most definitely be dissed.

Yikes that's scary to hear. I am not into the idea of this noona-dongsaeng romance though. Sigh, why did YKS give up this role. It would have been great to see them toe to toe with each other.

• Like 3