Do You Like Brahms? 브람스를 좋아하세요 ? [2020]

Episode 13

OK. It isn't as bad as I thought. Maybe because this episode people aren't putting down my babies as much. Also maybe because this isn't the even number episode, so SBS is letting us breathe a bit and it'll slap us inside out tomorrow tonight.

A good pat on the back TRICE for Song Ah! Once for telling Joon Young "Dude, you got caught in the taxi with Jung Kyung". Second for assertively and firmly tells Professor Lee she quits. She may not have gone all out telling Professor Lee off but I love that she stood her ground and walks off with no hesitation. Third for staking her claim on Joon Young and tells Jung Kyung off. Although I don't know whether that would end well. I applaud Song Ah for plucking up the courage the 3rd time. :1000: Sometimes in life, we are often put in the situation where we can't stand up to rude people as we wish, so I'm glad she's finally put an end to the abuse. It must also be a huge decision too. It looks like a foreshadowing that the show happens to have Cha Young In gives the speech of pursuing the career of event planner.

That cat fight between Professor Lee and Song is so unnecessary. And what's with Professor Yoo stealing Joon Young's piano playing? By uploading that, is he acknowledging Joon Young should play to his heart in the competition?? Or he has an ulterior motif behind it that would help Joon Young instead? Should I still have an ounce of hope that at least ONE of the three is not evil? Sigh.

As for Joon Young... inasmuch as I wish Joon Young to be free from Kyung Hoo Group/Jung Kyung immediately, I was glad his "debt" is dealt with once again. There is no way he could come up with 30k in such a short time anyway. I'm also glad they had the confrontation and that crying scene from Joon Young. It was emotional but the good kind. I teared up a little this episode, and I was also touched to tears that Director Nah spoke up for Joon Young.

I don't think tonight's episode will end with sweetness since there are still two more episodes left. Writer won't give the OTP happiness so soon, that's for sure.

@Jane We will get our happy ending, but I don't know if we'll get a scene where they play together.

2020.10.13 Kim Min Jae's IG Update

EkM0K88WsAAiVmf?format=jpg&name=large

Namooactors' IG Update

EkMxZlrVcAA1r_3?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by mademoisellesia
  • Heart Eyes 2

live recaps eps 14

Repeat scene of SA at the cafe & JY not there

JY's prof on the phone - he is also surprised by the video..gets a call from some PD - he tried to correct what the guy said ....

JY confronts him that he should not have released that playing especially when he knows about his history with JK . But the prof does not seem sorry though...so I dunno if this was done on purpose

JK came to see JY - he did not let her in, only spoke to her outside the door. She was sorry to hear about the video , he didn't want her to bother. Then he went in

She left his apartment - that was when she bumped into SA who was downstairs .SA tells her that it will be hard not to misunderstand . Even if you're friends , should not come here. JK left

JY's prof in his room and flashback to some scene of when he was talking to the reporter about the piano. Then there was a scene of JY coming to his room - then later he heard on his tablet a playing of the traumerei and he contacted a producer...

SA did not go up to JY's place - see her in a cab. She looks at her phone. Was thinking about MS and how she used to comfort MS in the past...she needs the support now. Poor gal

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

SA goes home - her sis sees her feeling down asked her if she is okay ...

SA in her room thinking of stuff ( she overthinks sometimes) ...anyway her sis came with some beer to chat with her ...at least the sis senses that she needed someone to talk to. SA opens up - saying no matter how she likes or loves , still it is not always gonna work out.  SA looks like she was gonna break down. Her sis says just do what makes you happy. ( looks like the sis ain't so bad). 

Next morning - HH meets with JK , he also brought up the Traumerei recording. He also knew it was JY who played. JK asked HH about the prof and his relationship between them . HH feels they should not meddle but JK says they should help him here as they are friends. HH was like it is nothing do with friendship , but it was more because of it was feelings on her part for JY. [ scene is too long and dragging, don't really care lol ...please focus on the OTP]

JY talks to Cha about this - she was surprised (  I guess she didn't think the prof would do this - she was his ex wife after all ) . JY wanted this sorted out as he does not want SA to feel more hurt. 
Later , JY meets the manager - he seems to think this is not a very bad thing - can do some sort of expose that it was him - won't it be a sexy story . JY was like is this fun for you? The guy was like this would be perfect content for reality show. JY was mad. The guy was like didn't you said you need $$.  The guy wants him to play the Traumerei piece and to seriously consider doing it for some reality programme.

SA gets a call from a lady. Then later she text JY - where are you? He calls her back- where are you? In school? She was like what about you ? Are you in school - he didn't want to tell her what was going on ....[ aiks...these two like not saying what they think to protect the other's feelings ..so silly] . She sense his hesistance in telling her anything , he wanted to protect her from the Traumerei recording as he felt it may upset her.

Scene of JK's prof getting annoyed with the young girl Ji Won

JK's grandma and dad have a chat at home.  Old lady looks at the photos of JK and the mum as they chat 

JK again  looking at her mum's piano -runs up to her room and looks for the CD.

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

JY gets a text from the manager. Then he goes to see SA in school who was at the practice room.  SA tells him she went to the cafe that day and he left. He was like - I am sorry . Then she says she went to his house , she saw JK coming out from his apartment. She was like why was JK there? I don't think he explained the whole scenario and just said sorry. SA got mad - why are you always saying sorry. Why am I always waiting..she was so sad - she was like I was having a hard time - she was like is JK more important - she needed him - she felt she was not priority 

Then someone came to interrupt - needed the room. SA leaves. JY runs after her as per preview. Apologises that all this is his fault , didn't mean for all this JK problems to trouble her- he promises to be there for her - she can rely on him .......nooooo...she walked off :cry:

- end of part 1-

HH and DY have a chat...they talk about some masterclass ...I hear JK's name brought up .  OOOO later  we see gets a text  that HH got accepted by the New York orchestra!! So happy for him but I think his mum was sad ...or overwhelmed when he told her the news.

OH yes our boy stands downstairs her apartment and calls her ...but she didn't answer and turn the phone off...

HH looks at the his phone - thinking if he should call JK.

Our poor SA crying as she looks at her violin

• Like 2

The whole night he tried texting her till morning ...but she did not respond...

Back in Uni...the prof asked the other intern if she wanted to assist her for the Chamber...the girl was like what happened to SA...then she said SA quit and she should consider helping her .

JK goes see JY's prof...

SA sitting on her bench...I am worried cause she keeps thinking that JK is still JY's priority

JK came to bring some CDs to prove something to JY's professor - that those were his playing.

Later JY bumps into JK leaving the prof's room. They talk in a practice room. She brought up the Traumerei piece again. He was like he played that to comfort a friend. But she was like if this was just the case why would he be worried that SA finds out blah blah..then he says it is because he loves/ likes SA that he does not want to see SA hurt.

JK then goes off ...she then bumps into SA and tells SA about the whole thing about the Traumerei piece and the professor...Damn this JK keeps emphasising about how that piece was meant a lot to JY and her ....( this is driving me nuts)

JY alone in the piano room

SA at home- she fell on the floor with her violin...then she thinks of the 1st time JY played for her during her birthday. SA then opened her violin and looked at it. 

Later she brings it to DY to get it tuned / fixed. DY asked her if she was ok...she was quite out of it. She was like -it is nothing. DY then said wait for me - he went out to get something.

DY went to the Intermission Cafe - he was waiting for someone

Next thing MS came up to the studio - looks like DY went to get MS to go comfort SA. So glad for that.

crap ....SA goes to JY and tells him let's stop here. He was like SA-shi...she was like this is too hard. The hurt is too much. Both the violin and JY shi  - is something that was too hard for her. She goes on to say a bunch of stuff ( :cry:) ... JY was I am sorry ..asked her to give him a chance..you can rely on me etc...

SA brings up the Traumerei thing ( I hate this piece now) and JK etc...she then said she understands his feeling or something but long story short , she cannot handle this anymore .  

Then she left....this is not how we should end the episode.  She stood outside - it was raining....JY then came out and open the umbrella. She looked stunned ...he took her hand and gave her the umbrella..nooooooooooooo she walked off with it . WTH is happening the drama. As she walk off she was tearing up

- eps ends-

They even have the cheek to show us all their sweet scenes.

NO PREVIEW

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

:hearties: LAUNCHING OUR BRAHMS FESTIVAL ! :hearties:

From today  13 Oct till 21 Oct 2020, tell us your favourite OTP moment - the one that made your heart flutter on this thread  and receive a sweet surprise from us ! 

Both Song-ah and Joon-young have always suppressed their feelings in consideration for other people's. My favorite moment was when they confessed they liked each other. Joon-young's confession is reminiscent of Jo Yi-Seo's confession to Park Sae-ro-yi in Itaewon Class where it's repeated multiple times (also my favorite moment in that drama too -- see the pattern here? Haha!). The more time Joon-young repeated it, the deeper the meaning. 

I skipped all the stills and the recap for episode 14 because I don't know if I can handle all the angst. :PiplupCry:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

There’s hope yet ! 

he will play for her in eps 15 preview . He tells her he’ll play the Brahms piece for her ! :wow:

Subbed .

Spoiler

Naver article says that the break-up scene hit a ratings high of 6.9%. :wow2: Eps average at 5.7% .https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/015/0004431265

• Like 3

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

There’s hope yet ! 

he will play for her in eps 15 preview . He tells her he’ll play the Brahms piece for her ! 

Just watched it! They will play together, yay! So she suddenly changed from Franck's sonata to Brahms? I guess we should have expected for a drama with this title that a Brahms piece will play a part in the finale!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

I am glad they broke up. Or rather, I am glad SA broke up with him. Not that I agree with the reasons she did it, but in anyways, it’s good that they break up. They’re both unhappy and not able to be honest and open up about their life and struggles. It’s better to go back to being friends without any expectations. They were much happier around each other when they were just friends. After committing into a relationship, they have grown further and further instead of becoming closer. They’re too careful, too considerate of the other person that they become so guarded, but in the end, they hurt each other after all. Again, I disagree with SA’s reason for breaking up, but I admire her courage to do so. 

I would think that that they will play Brahms eventually. There was the clue when CEO asked JY that “so now you can play Brahms again?” And with the drama title, I have expected at the end we will hear JY answering “Yes I do” in whatever forms. By being able to play Brahms, it will also be an indication for SA that JY has finally overcome his feelings for JK given the background of why he never wanted to play Brahms. 

JK~~ I have started liking her lately seeing her own struggles, but this episode she just had to make me dislike her again. Urgh! Princess mentality! Good for HH to leave Seoul and go to NY... Only the insecure needs to use such backhanded strategy to drive a wedge between a couple who love each other. How selfish of her... What? That song is exclusively for her now and forever? It’s just a piece of music, people! A true professional will play any music. Yes, JY still lets the music he plays rules over him, he needs to grow in that area, be the master of music, not be mastered by music.

DY is the gentleman. He knows SA needed a friend to cry with, and that person is not him, so he called MJ instead. A sensitive and considerate person. He didn’t try to take advantage of SA’s weak condition. I have not forgiven MJ for abandoning SA but whatever, as long as SA gets a shoulder to cry on for the time being. 

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Wow, this episode is hard to digest. Luckily we have that ray of light in the preview.

Both of them bottle things up disguising as "being considerate" for each other in the first place. It takes two to tango. Her low self-esteem and lack of confidence led to her insecurities and trust issue with Joon Young. Granted I want to whack Joon Young, we know he was just "being a nice friend" to Jung Kyung. We also know he's trying to distant himself too. It is his fault for not sharing more insights with Song Ah regarding Jung Kyung. The show will end in happy ending, I don't doubt it however some of the things Song Ah said was too harsh & hurtful in the break up.

It's just so hard to love you. I don't feel happy.

Now, it's fine if Song Ah wants to put herself first above everyone else. It's also fine that she's struggling and she needs time. I'm even trying to come up an excuse for her that she must be too upset she cannot think straight; however, I don't think the above statement was necessary. Joon Young is a lonely person and she knew that, no? She knows that he was burdened by family debt, unhappy playing piano and lacking someone to love and love him back. And he told her he feels happy and cheerful when he sees Song Ah, so for her to say she doesn't feel happy with him, it's like running a knife through him. If he wasn't meant to feel like Song Ah stabbed his heart, I felt it on his behalf. I felt a knife cutting some parts of my flesh as she goes on about this.

And Jung Kyung... I wanted to like her but never could. I thought she was finally getting better, and then she pulled a stunt like this. I'm no Saint, so I think I won't be able to give her my blessing and she should be alone for the rest of her life... as a punishment for driving out all her loved ones away. What did Hyun Ho see in her?

As for the Brahms performances together, I am curious if she gave up Franck. I don't think she did because if it is exam, there is no need for Song Ah and Joon Young to dress so formally. Could it be they met at an event or recital? Or the year-end Kyunghoo performance?

LOL, I mentioned back in Sep 1 whether they will play Brahms together in the finale, so what do you guys think? Is Song Ah and Joon Young playing this piece? 🤩 It's a famous piece and I gonna bet on my Brahms badge it is this!!! HAHAHAHA... fingers crossed Eun Bin got the position of this piece well and that Min Jae is really playing the piano (doubt it). But still, pray pray pray...

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
4 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

It's just so hard to love you. I don't feel happy.

I always feel that it’s a pity we don’t know Korean language ourselves and have to rely on translation. I do believe the translation above is harsher than the original language. My understanding from hearing what SA said and combining English and Chinese subs, it’s more like “Loving you has been a very difficult journey for me. There is no happiness.” 

But again, I disagree with her reasoning for break up. She has not done her part too. It is not fair that JY is the only one apologizing when both of them are at fault for not doing more for the other. SA could’ve been a little more selfish and demanding instead of waiting passively for JY to understand what she wants. He is not a mind-reader... Sorry to say but her trust in JY is too small at this point. Just some words from a former flame, she invalidate all that JY has said and done for her. This is not just about insecurities anymore. It has something to do with trust as well. The same thing will happen if she were to be with DY, because he has history with MJ. It is almost like she just has to find someone with a clean slate and be that person’s first love, otherwise, she will never feel secure if her position. Instead of focusing on the present and the future, she kept looking into the past. Well, unless she can turn back time or time-travel, she is never going to be able to compete with JK’s presence in JY’s life. Past life, mind you. SA really needs to just look forward and not keep glancing backwards. 🙄

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

oh man! I meant to write up on Episode 12 but somehow between everything I didn't get time and time flies. I'm just going to write down all my opinions on these angsty episodes first before I backtrack and read everyone else's comments....and I'm going to try a more dot point style for now so I can say everything without waffling too much XD

From this series I've learnt: That I'm so glad I'm not cursed to like playing classical music as it seems to make you miserable rather than happy. Also so glad I don't teach music as there seems to be a lot of politics and everyone who teaches music has some sort of complex and are likely to be moody (I'm just kidding though if case anyone here is a music teacher in real life) :GrowDerp:

Episode 12

• I wanted to say it made so much sense that the accompanist was mean because she ended up being Professor Lee's friends daughter. Go figures. I mean she gave feedback, but the kind that sounded like "Can't you do better?" which put down SA rather than gave her constructive feedback. Suddenly quitting on SA was highly unprofessional and rude too.
  • I found I actually liked JK as a tutor - it's been the only time she's been truly happy in this whole series and she really connected with the student and gave her comfort the way a big sister would rather than Professor Song who is condescending
  • I really dislike all the teachers in this drama, but I really don't understand Professor Song. Even though Professor Lee is evil, I can see she has a huge inferiority complex being picked on by Professor Song. But I don't know why Professor Song feels like she always has to step on Professor Lee (not that I feel sorry for her)? It's like she's super petty and a bully. Did they ever explain their history?
  • The way Professor Lee treated Hae Na was pretty disgusting (though I don't like Hae na either). It's just so shallow and fake. She only praises those who have connections with fame and money. And she still looks down on SA, but considers her smart to attach herself to someone. It was just so gross to hear her criticise Hae na based soley on the fact she wasn't dating someone famous?!
  • This episode really, really hurt for SA. Or it hurt for me watching SA. I think there's so much pressure for SA dating someone who gets all the attention. I guess I eat my words when I said it was nice people accepted that she was dating JY....There's always going to be a group that is bitter and jealous. I thought it wasn't smart of SA to go into that chat and read it, but I guess curiosity killed the cat and I'm not sure I would be able to resist if I was in that situation either.
  • Then there was the horrible, horrible way that she found out she was not in the chamber orchestra. I felt so, so ,so bad for her. It was not only the fact she wasn't in the orchestra. It was the put down that went with it - I only pick "talented" students, pretty much scoffing at her lack of talent. And the deception. Like it's so obvious that SA would think she was part of the orchestra. She purposely did not clarify....so for JY to also do the same thing and not clarify that he was seeing JK as well, I can see why SA would feel shocked and hurt

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: My Lovely Runner // Chief Detective 1958

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Episode 13

• I really feel that JK giving money to JY's dad is not actually helping JY's situation - it's just enabling his parents to become dependent on JK's family and their wealth and generosity. They seem to be pretty shameless people from the way they squeeze their own son's talents for money, that it's so obvious they would treat JK's family like a bank and not think twice. 
  • The money lending does really complicate things - I was thinking it was only JY's lingering feelings that made him keep going back to her. But I can see why JY would feel tied to her over the money. You can't exactly stop talking to someone if they keep giving money to your parents. I think JY feels like he owes her a debt he can never repay and that's why he helps her when she asks. But I also think it's been a habit of his to like her for so long that it's hard for him to stop going to her at her beck and call even though he feels stronger for SA. That's why he does things like go with JK to Professor Song's house....which he really does not have to. At All.
  • The Event planner talk that Ms Cha gave really shed light on SA's feelings I think. But I can't help but feel like that if SA could view herself as having different talents that supports the cause she loves rather than seeing herself as failing at the things she loves, she would be so much better off. The Arts doesn't just rely on the artists - there are lots of behind the scenes people who make the shows happen and they are just as important as those who are in the spotlight. There would be no spotlight without them. (Hahaha, I feel like I'm praising myself because this is my industry!) :BulbaOWO:
  • I was so disgusted by Professor Lee's comments about SA being "the perfect wife to JY because she could organise his things" that I had to go for a tea break! What is wrong with this woman? How could she be a teacher when she says such sexist things, not to mention comments on a student's personal life so inappropriately?? :ChikoWTF:
  • Between SA and JY, I'm feel a lot of pressure and communication issues. Both of them are such quiet personalities and so overly considerate that they never want to burden the other person with their problems. But not sharing their weaknesses and hard times leads to misunderstandings and weakens the foundations of their relationship. Like JY suddenly running off because of the plagiarism - he didn't have to explain every little thing, but I don't see why he couldn't call to tell her there was an emergency....and then he could have invited her over to his house later XD
  •  FINALLY I'm so so so glad SA STOPPED being professor Lee's assistant. I wish she had thrown something heavy like her violin at that vile woman's face. But I feel like she was at least firm about her decision even if it means she's now unsure about her future again. Better to drift than to lose your dignity everyday! 
Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Episode 14

• I can't believe we're 2 episodes out from the ending (Korean dramas go so quickly! Next week is THE END!) and they serve us a breakup. What type of structure is this?! My Taiwanese drama is also having a break-up/ rejection at Episode 19 out of 20...I hate when this happens because if it's happy ending, it's a rush to resolve the ending in 1 episode. Ugh. If I was a script writer I would never put a breakup 1-2 episodes before the end. :JigglyAngry:
  • This was the first episode where SA's sister treated her like a sister. It was nice for them to have a conversation over a beer. I'm fairly close to my siblings, so I found it odd that they never talked. But it was nice to hear her sister say that it's ok to change paths no matter what other people think. :PikaSwag:
  • Professor Yoo is just as bad as Professor Song & Lee. In what universe is it ok to steal your student's music?? Honestly, this so called music school needs to purge all it's teachers and get new ones. I do think that even though he's stolen the music, it must be so uncomfortable for him since he values talent so much. Sure, you get the credit, but you know it's not your work, so the praise feels hollow. It sucks to not be seen as a musical genius, but is it really any better to be praised for music you know you never played??
  • It's quite unfair that JK called HH out just to talk about JY. Also for lifelong friends, it seems odd that they didn't really know his relationship with his professor. I feel like you'd complain to your good friends...
  • I feel so sad about JY and SA's relationship. :PiplupCry: At this point I'm with SA in that I really couldn't tell you if JY is over JK. Because playing that song is a sign of his connection to JK no matter how much he denies it....Unless the meaning shifted. I really wanted JY to tell JK he played that song because SA loved to hear it and she asked him to play it the first few times they met. I hate to admit it, but his rebuttal to JK's "you-hide-it-from-SA-because-you-still-love-me" was lame. And JK's point made more sense than JY's. You don't hide important things you still do from people you love because it'll hurt their feelings - you tell them the truth and work through it. By working so hard to hide it from SA, even to the point that he couldn't support her when she needed him, he's making her another stressor in his life rather than leaning on her for support mutually.
  • But JK is right about one thing - JY doesn't know how to express himself. I guess he spent a lot of time repressing his feelings at home....but in a relationship, he's been holding back those comforting words SA needs to hear. 
  • On the other hand, I feel like SA has also been clamming up and sulking. She kind of expects JY to be there for her without telling him that she need him to be there for her. Like when I feel bad, I'd just blurt out my problems on the phone. Sure it's nice to see someone in person, but all she needed to do was say "I'm depressed" And I'm sure JY would have dropped everything for her, including JK. He did go with JK to Professor Song's house, but only because he saw the bad thing that was happening in her life, but he hasn't seen the things happening in SA's life. But I guess you could argue that he would see those things in SA's life if he didn't spend so much time with JK in the first place :BulbaConfused:
  • While I don't dislike JK as a character, I hate her when she's with JY and SA. It's like she can't stand to see other people happy so she needs to ruin it. And her constantly inserting herself into JY's life when he's repeatedly told her not to is a tired second lead trope. She told her grandma that she couldn't lose JY because she'd lost everything...but er, she broke up with HH to chase after JY, so that one was on her. On the other friendship side, it was nice to see DY and MS finally act like friends to SA and put aside their differences to be there for her at her lowest point.
  • The break up sucked, but I felt it was necessary to let the characters reflect on their lives and fix up their messes. SA is right that JY's life is a mess too. I feel like she put too much pressure on wanting to lean on him, but maybe what she wanted to say was lost in translation. I felt like they both needed to work more to lean on each other. I'd like to see JY not be so calm and actually pursue SA with that same intensity as when he confessed to her. But SA on her part also needs to work through her own insecurities because JK will always be in that musical world - it'd be hard to avoid her, even if JY tried (the money makes it so hard). Also she does need to trust JY because he has been trying to cut ties with JK, but she's not letting him go...but he's actually doing all the right things by SA, if only she could believe him. But we'll see what happens with 2 episodes left. I hope they don't do a time leap. Time leaps like 5 years later feel really lazy to me...and I feel like I've missed out on something as a viewer!

Sorry this is so long! I just had so much I needed to vent out! I'll be more conversational tomorrow and actually read all your good opinions tomorrow.

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

BTS

Episode 15 Episode Preview (Papago translation)

Jun-young (Kim Min-jae), who was distressed by the guilt that made Song-ah (Park Eun-bin) suffer, declares his retirement as a pianist. Meanwhile, Song-ah calmly overcame the pain of parting and took the postgraduate exam, and Jun-young heard about Song-ah's graduation performance.
Edited by mademoisellesia
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
On 10/12/2020 at 7:20 PM, mademoisellesia said:

@abs-oluteM I believe I mention this earlier during the drama that I wanted Song Ah to succeed in her violinist dream. I wanted it end with positivity and see her have a duet with Joon Young and they become friends, lovers and soul mates in music. However, we now have 4 episodes left and it does not seem like there is much progress with her violin playing. Even the accompianist doesn't think she's good enough and until now we still hadn't seen her play with Joon Young, which I was hoping would help her improve, so I guess I now have to go down the practical route and conclude we're heading towards her ending her dream. I don't see any other way she could advance forward 😔 Still, there's that 10% left of me wish the writer will grant Song Ah her wish...

I have to say that it would have been so lovely to see her succeed in her violin dreams, but I also think it's kind of refreshing to see someone who is your average person struggling with their dreams and maybe not making it with a full happy ending either. I think we watch dramas to escape from things in reality, but also as a way of having it reflect reality too. Even though it's been a bit of a heavy watch at times, I do oddly find this drama comforting in that it shows that it's ok to struggle with your choices and realise that something is not exactly for you.

On 10/12/2020 at 2:16 AM, Jane said:

I hope Team Leader Cha comes back into the picture soon to support SA. Without MS, SA has no other female friend to confide and she's so much at the breaking point that I am really worried for her. I also don't like seeing how much SA is withholding from JY at the moment, for fear of distracting him from his competition preparations despite JY always reassuring her.

I don't understand the Korean classical music system of having a talented student be tied to their professor for life. And university professors only? Ji-won is in an arts school, I assume she would also have violin tutors there to help with her music education? The closest analogy I can thinking of athletes and their coaches. But as a music university professor, don't they have many other students actually in the degree programme they should also be teaching and focusing on? I am so puzzled by how restrictive this system seems.

@Jane Yay! so glad we watch things at a similar snail pace. Yes, I have to say Ms Cha is the only really really likeable side character in this drama. I feel like her support means everything to SA and JY in this very cold and judgemental musical world. I also don't understand the music teaching system. It's weird how they would limit a student to one teacher - I suppose the teacher has made it her rule that if you want to be her student, you give her full credit for her teaching. But I don't know where she gets the time to be tutoring all these private students and teaching and socialising as much as she does! 

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 10/13/2020 at 2:00 PM, ktcjdrama said:

I wanted to fist-pump when SA told Lee she is quitting, but the timid and hesitant way she said it, made me hold back. At least it’s a baby step. She did much better when she was telling JK to stop coming to JY’s place so as not to create misunderstandings. That I can give her a thumbs up, but still not a fist-pump. 

Frankly, I became tired watching SA. I know that’s her character setup so that we can see growth... but it’s just been dragged out for too long. It’s like an endless fermata, on a less than pleasant chord, and we’re at the mercy of the writer... 

Haha, sometimes I do think SA is too passive and insecure. But I also find her really easy to relate to because she's that way sometimes. Like I felt like she wanted to say so much more to Professor Lee, but she knew she would get attacked in return so she didn't - that's something I think that would happen to me personally. I'd hold my tongue and just cut off the tie because there's no point kicking up a fuss. That awful person wouldn't change their behaviour - they would just get more awful towards you! So I felt like it wasn't necessarily satisfying to watch, but it was realistic and I guess the professional thing to do (since Song A still seems to want to do grad school, so not burning bridges). Also I think SA is someone who's so nice that she doesn't know how to do that sort of assertive, catty response to get one over her opponents (unlike the two catty professors). I don't mind SA, she's not assertive and destined for major success like so many stereotypical female drama leads, but she's is your nice average girl trying to catch a break in life, and I think that's kind of charming in its own way too.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:22 AM, abs-oluteM said:

I love your posts @JenL.  Always look forward to it.  

I share your views about JK. Initially I was annoyed by her . Slowly, I am beginning to understand her. The  drama has done a good job over time to show us that she too is suffering - a result of trying to live out the legacy of her dead mother . Needing to excel out of fear rather than out of love for music itself. I thought the recent episodes of her comforting that young violinist was a good way to highlight how many young music prodigies end up burnt out & hating the talents they have been blessed with because their parents push them so hard 

Awww, Thanks @abs-oluteM. That's very sweet of you to say :heart:

Haha, I still feel the same about JK, but I know she did do the dirty and really hurt SA this week. But everything you said above is still so very true about JK, whether people like her or not. I think in the angsty episodes, she is also suffering with losing her supporting professor and therefore her pathway to her dreams of becoming a teacher. But her impulsive attitude to take it out on SA who she sees as a threat to JY, who she just latches onto for her own selfish comforts, does make her hard to sympathise with.

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

On 10/13/2020 at 8:49 PM, mademoisellesia said:

She may not have gone all out telling Professor Lee off but I love that she stood her ground and walks off with no hesitation. Third for staking her claim on Joon Young and tells Jung Kyung off. Although I don't know whether that would end well. I applaud Song Ah for plucking up the courage the 3rd time. :1000: Sometimes in life, we are often put in the situation where we can't stand up to rude people as we wish, so I'm glad she's finally put an end to the abuse. It must also be a huge decision too. It looks like a foreshadowing that the show happens to have Cha Young In gives the speech of pursuing the career of event planner.

As for Joon Young... inasmuch as I wish Joon Young to be free from Kyung Hoo Group/Jung Kyung immediately, I was glad his "debt" is dealt with once again. There is no way he could come up with 30k in such a short time anyway. I'm also glad they had the confrontation and that crying scene from Joon Young. It was emotional but the good kind. I teared up a little this episode, and I was also touched to tears that Director Nah spoke up for Joon Young.

Wow, love so many of your points @mademoisellesia and I definitely feel the same. I feel it was quite realistic how SA was firm in saying no more to Professor Lee even if she didn't get to tell her just how rude she was. But it's hard with rude people...they will never get better, so you're wasting your breath anyway! And yes! I agree the talk seems to be a foreshadowing that she may end up working for the foundation or supporting the musical arts. I hope SA doesn't see it as failing, but taking another direction in life that is more suited to her strengths. As for JY, I feel sorry for him, but again the series has taken a realistic approach and it makes sense they'd bail him out of his debts even though it really hurts him mentally. I hope they kind of resolve this by the end of the series though I don't know how it'd happen.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

20 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I always feel that it’s a pity we don’t know Korean language ourselves and have to rely on translation. I do believe the translation above is harsher than the original language. My understanding from hearing what SA said and combining English and Chinese subs, it’s more like “Loving you has been a very difficult journey for me. There is no happiness.” 

But again, I disagree with her reasoning for break up. She has not done her part too. It is not fair that JY is the only one apologizing when both of them are at fault for not doing more for the other. SA could’ve been a little more selfish and demanding instead of waiting passively for JY to understand what she wants. He is not a mind-reader... Sorry to say but her trust in JY is too small at this point. Just some words from a former flame, she invalidate all that JY has said and done for her. This is not just about insecurities anymore. It has something to do with trust as well. The same thing will happen if she were to be with DY, because he has history with MJ. It is almost like she just has to find someone with a clean slate and be that person’s first love, otherwise, she will never feel secure if her position. Instead of focusing on the present and the future, she kept looking into the past. Well, unless she can turn back time or time-travel, she is never going to be able to compete with JK’s presence in JY’s life. Past life, mind you. SA really needs to just look forward and not keep glancing backwards. 🙄

Totally agree with all of this. That's my one thing about watching Korean dramas - it's hard sometimes because you have to rely solely on translations by other people. And sometimes people just get the main message across but not the nuances. I translate for a lot of Taiwanese dramas and I'm very fussy about getting the little meanings across so it's accurate....I think you're probably right about what SA said -it'd be softer and more about her feelings. As for the breakup, I also agree that JY was doing wayyyy too much apologising. SA definitely needs to work through her insecurities because they'd eat at her even if she was dating DY or someone else. Yeah, I never understand when in dramas they get mad at the other person for their past loves. Like, they can't help that...But they like you now and are doing everything to prove it! Unfortunately, I did think there were too many coincidences. Like the poor timing of SA seeing JK coming out from JY's house twice and them being in a taxi after he said he was hanging with his mum. I guess I also see why she was tired and suspicious all the time.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3