Do You Like Brahms? 브람스를 좋아하세요 ? [2020]

Hey @abs-oluteM , I think Kim Min Jae had his hair trimmed. The back is not as unkempt and long as before (the new preview clip) and his fringe is a littttleeee bit shorter. LOLLLL... 

@JenL Seriously, I thought Professor Yoo is the nicer one and just strict. Who knows... how can these two be so unlucky? Wait, I should say the whole Uni is unlucky. The students should unite and boycott/report them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I can't believe SBS make me watch the break-up scene, like, 3 times (Drama + 2 BTS) and each time having to hear Song Ah said the very sentence "It's hard loving you..." oh mannnn.

But look at those crumbs, @abs-oluteM they sit so close to each other. Me jelly.

Definitely need subs for this. Is Kim Min Jae keeping his gloomy mood so that when the filming start he can go straight back in?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM they sit so close to each other. Me jelly

there was zero distance between them ...ahahaha....good for my ship thread :D 

:smile: thanks to SBS for throwing these crumbs :D

• Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Meet Yourself

21 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha no no, Mimi is the dog's name in Dol Dol Sol Sol La La Sol. In that drama, there's a white Pomeranian looks exactly like the one Min Jae is holding in the photoshoot making.

Are you sure that it's not the same dog as the one who currently plays MiMi in DDSSLLS? I mean, she's also done an acting gig in Tales of the Nine Tailed and nailed her role there, so she's clearly being chosen for parts. :) 

The dog that MJ is holding looks exactly like MiMi...

Anway, here is hoping for a good finale!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
1 minute ago, stroppyse said:

Are you sure that it's not the same dog as the one who currently plays MiMi in DDSSLLS? I mean, she's also done an acting gig in Tales of the Nine Tailed and nailed her role there, so she's clearly being chosen for parts. :) 

The dog that MJ is holding looks exactly like MiMi...

Anway, here is hoping for a good finale!

I think it is Mimi he is holding but Mimi doesn't appear in Brahms at all so don't know why Mimi is at the photoshoot that day, LOL. In my previous post I was pointing it out to SilverMoonTea that I think it's Mimi in the BTS

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hey @abs-oluteM , I think Kim Min Jae had his hair trimmed. The back is not as unkempt and long as before (the new preview clip) and his fringe is a littttleeee bit shorter. LOLLLL... 

@JenL Seriously, I thought Professor Yoo is the nicer one and just strict. Who knows... how can these two be so unlucky? Wait, I should say the whole Uni is unlucky. The students should unite and boycott/report them.

I don't think Professor Yoo was any better tbh  :HaunterOK: 

He wasn't catty like the other two female professors, but he was emotionally abusive to JY under the guise of being a strict teacher :letalQQ: My reading on it was that he was partially jealous of JY and his behaviour became worse over the years (He wasn't jaded when he started out). Also, the way he stole JY's music and tried to gaslight JY to say it was his own music, not JY's....that to me says really messed up person 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Currently watching: My Lovely Runner // Chief Detective 1958

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Live recaps

Starts off with a rainy scene. JY sits listlessly at his piano. 

Next day JY speaks to his professor - this is where he tells the latter he will stop getting his help.

Prof asked if JY would be okay alone preparing for the Tchaikovsky competition. JY says some things back but he does seem resolute to not take classes anymore. Even mention about feeling regret.

The other intern girl asked SA why she quit the chamber . Why is she quitting when she loves playing the violin. I think SA does tell her she's giving up the chamber not the playing. The girl seems surprised. Think she finds out that SA was not playing anyway.

JK thinks back of her sweet times with HH ( I know they posted this on IG) - it is not them getting back together . Just merely a flashback. Is she missing HH?

JK's grandma sees SA in the uni hallway..asked if they could chat. The old lady says some very nice things to SA - can see why JY would like her etc..thanks for being with him etc. The old lady of course did not know they broke up. SA did not correct her either.

After the old lady left , SA walked down a path...JY was nearby at a park bench. He stood up when he saw her. She looked at him , then walked away. He looked on sadly

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Meet Yourself

JK's grandma and dad went to JK's mum's cemetery.

SA with manager Cha - Cha asked why she quit the chamber or something. Is SA wanting to come back to work for the foundation. She was even asking if SA was ok to help out with some event where JY and JK were supposed to play for ...SA had to say no...Cha was like are you uncomfortable..SA says she and JY had broken up.

MS and DY having dinner together.

SA leaving the foundation - raining again. She thought of the 1st time JY had sheltered her in the rain. The she took out her own umbrella and went home. Back home JY's umbrella was lying on the floor. Sis was like isn't that yours.

JY ran into a Manager Cha's car. They had dinner. I think he tells Cha that he stopped playing under the professor She was sad for him but she also understood. I think now they talk about how now the trio that was planned long time ago ( JK, JY , HH) would know not have HH

SA at home - looks at the signed CD he gave her.

JY tells Cha what happened between him and SA. I believe he felt bad that SA was having hard time due to him . Her happiness was important to him.

But SA does not seem happy - not sleeping well.

JY struggling to play

SA overhears some rumors about JY - him quitting?

JY at home with his mum- mum apolgoises for always causing so much problems . He was like don't worry about me . He was so down that she asked him what is wrong

He finally breaks down  - mum it is so hard....( am crying ...poor guy) 

• Like 5

SA at home still thinking of JY . Goes for classes

JY sits at his fave spot in the park - walks alone along that pretty wall.

SA manages to go on with life - She and MS are close again. She practises hard with a new pianist.

But our poor JY is alone - looking at a gift he had bought SA :cry:

SA playing for her masters admission.  She has not finished and that awful prof of hers just rings the bell indicating she should stop. Awful woman gives her such low marks.

SA and MS have drinks. DY came by to join them . A bit awkward at 1st but after awhile they were able to joke 

Cha and JY's professor meet for drinks and chat . She talks about the old times , maybe tries to talk him into doing the right thing for JY . She said something about it is normal to make mistakes , what you do after that is important. She feels that JY and him should reconcile

After drinks, MS catches a cab home. SA then asked DY if she stopped playing violin would it be ok? He asked her in return if she was ok since she broke up with JY ? She was like I am ok...he said summor things about how over time , your heart will heal.

But obviously neither JY and SA seem ok..she falls sick, he misses her...

He falls sick too...

[can they not drag this out]

She tells her mum she is stopping violin

JY calls someone and says he will stop playing the piano [ think it was the manager]

-1st half ends-

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

JY's manager so angry talking to Cha who now finds out that JY has decided to quit piano. The guy asked Cha to talk him out of it since she was so close. But she did not agree, somewhat told him off abit.  The guy was like this is driving me crazy.

We have a scene of Manager telling JK to help convince JY to change his mind.

JK and JY meet for coffee...JK says you shouldn't quit...and says some stuff [ gahh can they stop wasting so much time on them] ...Anyway JY says he talks about how he wants to be happy too. But he finds that the piano did not give him any happiness.  As he talks we have a scene of JK looking at the tablet with happy pictures of her and HH. 

SA gets at call from some teacher. She was headed somewhere.

JK was replying a mail and suddenly her violin string broke.

SA heard from the person she met that JK's grandma passed away...eh so sad. JK crying and hugging her dad 

A lot of of people came for the funeral - including HH and JY who bumped into each other. JY was like when did you come back. HH - just only. Then they both went in together to pay respects.

Later the 3 of them chat abit. JK thanked them for coming. JY was like take care. Then he went off leaving HH with JK. JK says congrats on the success of your orchestra. He held her hand for a bit to comfort her and told her she better go back to the hall.

JY walked towards the lift and saw SA had come. SA went to pay respects too to JK's grandma. JK intro SA to her dad as the intern of the foundation.

After when she was done , as she walked out  JY waited for her

• Like 5

They chat - asking each other how the other was. She told him she quit violin. She brings up Brahms etc. She was like it is fine that she was able to handle the pain alone. But she's happier now. Then says goodbye  [ please JY don't let her go]

JY did run after her - then he asked her if he could play the Brahms with her for her graduation recital anyway. I guess she would still graduate but not pursue it further. So this was her degree graduation recital.

Our sweet pair get ready to play...yay...... They looks so nice together.  

He wiped the piano with the handkerchief she had given him earlier....then they did a really nice performance together.  [ I wonder did our KMJ and PEB actually play this themselves :thinking:]\

The performance ended - there was a pause then the audience clapped. Even JK's prof who was there smiled. I assumed it was good  - JY took her hand and they bowed together

At the dressing room - she thanked him for today. Then JY was like goodbye then. SA then mention about the Traumerei recording that his professor had uploaded.  What she said surprised him as she understood the hurt he had etc, why he had played it ...she looks like she was tearing up [ I know this seems inappropriate- they should kiss now , lol].

Then she said some stuff about making sure to be happy blah blah...finally says thanks again for today. 

THEN OUR BOY TELLS  HER HE LOVES HER

She turns around as he says more of his feelings and how he was sorry about all the pain he caused her. But he did not want to regret things later . And one more time he says I LOVE YOU.

She looked at him about to cry

SA voiceover about her love for Brahms etc....some scene of her outside looking at the snow. She was alone...ehhhhhhh what does this mean ?????????

- eps ends-

Preview 

Think JY tells his mum she should divorce the dad. Then I see HH and JK playing together ..after that he went off and she went after him.

But most important , JY was performing again and gave SA a ticket to come watch - on the performance day her seat was empty - but I think she came cause she was back stage. I think so

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Then she said some stuff about making sure to be happy blah blah...finally says thanks again for today. 

THEN OUR BOY TELLS  HER HE LOVES HER

She turns around as he says more of his feelings and how he was sorry about all the pain he caused her. But he did not want to regret things later . And one more time he says I LOVE YOU.

She looked at him about to cry

SA voiceover about her love for Brahms etc....some scene of her outside looking at the snow. She was alone...ehhhhhhh what does this mean ?????????

Why so bittersweet ahhh????

:cry:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Lynne said:

Why so bittersweet ahhh????

:cry:

No idea, lol...they need to drag till the end. No kiss summore ...sigh.

Preview

Thank @Lynne for these lovely banners. I used one here

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I am  NOT okay with this. SBS don't troll us now

Credit to YT account holder Joey

Youngin: We all want to work with you Songah.

Joonyoung: Mum, please get a divorce. I want you to live your own life.

Kyunghoo employee: If the 15th foundation anniversary concert went as we all imagined, Director Na would have been there and she would have enjoyed it.

Jungkyung: Hyunho!

Hyunho: Stay healthy and well, Jungkyung.

Songah's mum: When is your boyfriend's graduation performance?

Songah: We broke up. ... Do you remember how you asked to be friends back then? I'm here as a friend. Joonyoung: I realised a lot of things thanks to you Songah. Thank you.

Songah: Bye. Stay well.

• Like 4

Hahaha @abs-oluteM I got an alternative version 

Young In: We all want to work with you, Song ah shi.
Joon Young: Mum, get a divorce. I want you to live your own life.
Kyung Ho Foundation staff?: how good would it be if Chairwoman Na was around to watch the foundation anniversary concert as originally planned, she would have enjoyed it
Jung Kyung: Hyeon Ho...
Hyeong Ho: Jung Kyung, don't fall sick, stay well
Song Ah's sister?: when's your boyfriend's graduation performance?
Song Ah: We broke up.
Song Ah: Last time, you told me to be friends right? I'm here today as a friend
Joon Young: Thanks to you Song Ah, I realised many things
Song Ah: Goodbye, stay well. (Alt trans: Hello, how are you?)
---
I refuse to believe the preview. They can be misleading. :1000: LOL LOL.

@Lynne Really love that hand-holding scene! It felt meaningful.

FULL ALBUM OST 🎹🎻🎼🎶🎧

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

So in their duet, Song Ah chose F-A-E sonata instead which contains 4 movements, and was jointly composed by Schumann, Brahms and Schumann's pupil Dietrich dedicating it to Joachim. 

Song Ah's narrated that F-A-E means "Free but lonely" and she also followed up saying later she found out there is also F-A-F meaning "Free but happy". Since I haven't watched with subs, that's as much as I could decipher from what I see.

Brahms' Symphony No. 3

Virtually all of the melodic ideas in the symphony are related to this simple musical motif. The notes are a variant of Brahms’ famous F-A-F “motto.” Brahms’ friend and biographer Max Kalbeck identified F-A-F as a musical cipher for “frei aber froh”—“free but happy”—which was Brahms’ response to his friend Joseph Joachim’s F-A-E, which stood for “frei aber einsam”—“free but lonely.” Both of these can be found in other works (such as the A minor string quartet and the early F-A-E violin sonata, which was composed collaboratively by Brahms, Schumann and Dietrich for Joachim to play).

Brahms’ “frei aber froh” motto reflected his uncompromising need for independence in both his professional and personal life. Though he came close several times, he never married, possibly due to unresolved feelings for Clara Schumann, the disintegration of his parents’ marriage, a fear of being hindered in his work by having to provide for a family, or a simple fear of commitment. Instead, his typical pattern involved a series of intense but platonic crushes on intelligent, beautiful young singers and regular patronage of Vienna’s brothels, whose employees reportedly appreciated his kindness and generosity. Many biographers have also speculated that his purported youthful experiences of supplementing his family’s limited income by playing piano in Hamburg’s red light district may have influenced his relationships with women, although some dispute the claim that he performed in any disreputable establishments. He maintained a close circle of friends throughout his life, but rarely revealed his innermost thoughts and feelings, even to them. It was only though the inscrutable language of music that he gave full expression to his inner world.

The three notes that begin the symphony are not F-A-F, though, but F-A-flat-F. Though the key of the symphony is F major, the note A-flat belongs to F minor, and imbues the opening with a sense of conflict and instability. Indeed, the conflict between F major and F minor will drive the entire symphony, only reaching resolution in its final pages. For Brahms, could this alteration have symbolized doubt or conflicted feelings about his “free but happy” motto? Perhaps, but he may have made the change for purely musical reasons as well.

Full reading → https://houstonsymphony.org/brahms-symphony-3/

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4