Monster/ Beyond Evil 괴물 [2021]

4 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Argh! The preview for ep.15 doesn’t tell us anything!? What’s going to happen?? We have to wait a week for new episode! 

DS is clearly very worried for JW. 

It looks like Joo Won might be in danger. I'm guessing Lee Chang Jin is planning to get rid of him without Han Gi Hwan's agreement.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

I haven't seen E14, but @Chocolate, same as you - I want to know how in the world a scum like Lee Chang Jin is able to court Oh Ji Hwa and got her to marry him. He's just so shady! It's so cringy every time he says, "My Ji Hwa". He was a part of some gangster group too when young, so Ji Hwa must likes bad boys. LOLLL.

Haha, they must show us right? Maybe when Lee Chang Jin is finally caught, there will be a sentimental scene with Ji Hwa with flashback! Manifesting!!! LOL.

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I won’t say it’s entirely inaccurate because some dramas really worth the hype, but at the same time it’s true there have been many great dramas gone unnoticed because of ratings. I personally never go by ratings and never care about it. 

You're right. A better way to say this is I no longer rely on the korean ratings. Some hugely popular ones were very boring to me. This is a new finding because mostly, for American and Hong Kong productions, ratings have been fairly reliable for me.

36 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

So what's that secret Do Hae Won has? Is he talking about fabricating the report? I hate this woman.

Maybe it's something related to the deer farm. We still don't know why there are so many dead bodies there.

Last 2 episodes next week! 😋

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Chocolate said:

Maybe it's something related to the deer farm. We still don't know why there are so many dead bodies there.

Yes, I came back in here wanting to ask whether I missed it from dozing off or losing concentration! :laugh: So it hasn't been addressed. That said, this should be an urgent matter for investigation but everyone is sidetracked. 🙄 @abs-oluteM We need an eye-rolling emoji.

• Haha 6
11 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Yes, I came back in here wanting to ask whether I missed it from dozing off or losing concentration! :laugh: So it hasn't been addressed. That said, this should be an urgent matter for investigation but everyone is sidetracked. 🙄 @abs-oluteM We need an eye-rolling emoji.

Ehh...I thought all of those bodies in the deer farm had to do with Kang Jin Mook?  (edit : I think it was implied ..but I could be wrong. So many drama plots in my head. 

I am just starting eps 14 and feel so sad for Ju Won seeing what he had to witness in his childhood.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM Hahaha I don't remember anymore. Were they all women without fingers?

@Chocolate It's ok. I did see the flashbacks and figured Han Gi Hwan was being stupid for recruiting Dong Shik LOL, or from another angle, he was being arrogant.

27 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

You're right. A better way to say this is I no longer rely on the korean ratings. Some hugely popular ones were very boring to me. This is a new finding because mostly, for American and Hong Kong productions, ratings have been fairly reliable for me.

Nahhh there were a couple of American shows I enjoyed but they axed it.

I've been told/from reading TV ratings are not reliable in Korea because the ones holding the TV remote controls are the ahjumma. Ahjumma likes makjang over this sort of shows. The younger ones stream online so there's also ratings for streaming/internet and that's not counted into the TV rating reported by TmS or AGB Nielsen.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 3

I'm finally all caught up with this drama! I thought I was two episodes behind but it turned out I was actually 4.5 episodes behind. :pandascared:

So many things were revealed in the last 5-10 minutes of episode 15, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. :scaredpanda2: I expected the congresswoman, Lee Chang Jin, and Han Ki Hwan to be involved especially Han Ki Hwan. In my mind, every drama that Choi Jin Ho is in, he's the villain. There's no way you include him and not have him be the villain, right?! :laugh:

Can someone help summarized what happened because I'm afraid I got it wrong? From what I recall, Han Ki Hwan was the one that hit and killed Lee Yu Yeon and it was staged as if Jeong Je was the one who did it. What about her fingers? Did Kang Jin Mook did that because it seems like he was at the crime or was she running from Kang Jin Mook and was hit by Han Ki Hwan? 

19 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Were they all women without fingers?

I think it had something to do with Kang Jin Mook. One of his triggers were women pointing fingers at him so he cut the fingers of all the women he killed. 

By the way, the hit-and-run incident, was anyone else reminded of Lawless Lawyer watching that unraveled? I remember running someone over with a car was a big part of that drama too. Haha!

• Like 6
On 4/5/2021 at 11:00 AM, Tofu said:

Can someone help summarized what happened because I'm afraid I got it wrong? From what I recall, Han Ki Hwan was the one that hit and killed Lee Yu Yeon and it was staged as if Jeong Je was the one who did it. What about her fingers? Did Kang Jin Mook did that because it seems like he was at the crime or was she running from Kang Jin Mook and was hit by Han Ki Hwan?

Yoo Yeon witnessed Kang Jin Mook killing the other lady and was subdued by him. As Jin Mook disposed of the other body in the reed field, Yoo Yeon woke up to find all her fingers cut. She ran away and tried to stop the car in the middle of the road and was ran down by Han Ki Hwan (he was rushing to his wife who committed suicide).

He moved Yoo Yeon's body to the other side of the road and drove off, leaving Lee Chang Jin there. I don't know whether he intended for Lee Chang Jin to dispose the body (not shown yet), but as Yoo Yeon was laying on the ground Park Jeong Jae drove over her body causing more fractures to the bones (as mentioned in the autopsy).

Jeong Jae called Do Hae Won and as he took out the phone, he dropped the guitar pick. Do Hae Won called Lee Chang Jin. Lee Chang Jin put Yoo Yeon's body in the backseat of his car but decided to get rid of Jeong Jae's car first. Kang Jin Mook, who had seen everything (from Ki Hwan to Jeong Jae) took her body away. The after event is still unclear but Jin Mook must have hid Yoo Yeon elsewhere first and when Dong Shik was in the army, he moved Yoo Yeon's body to the basement wall.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Some really fantastic acting there by YJG especially at the end of eps 14 when he discovered that his dad was responsible for the death of DS sister , and subsequently everything else that happened as a consequence of that. I felt so much pain for JW - he had a particularly sad childhood and don't exactly have the best relationship with his father. But to find out that he has been mislead & deceived by his own father is whole other level of pain. 

hv31jc6.png

I think we can confirm that Chief Han killed YY instantly ? If I understand the most recent flashbacks, he came down to check YY's body & I think she was dead. LCJ asked him to go. Then only later on Jung Je rolled over the dead body & that's why when LCJ came to the scene when JJ's mum called him , he said to himself that this has become very interesting. 

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I saw the summary @Chocolate made and oh boy...it was just like sooo tragic..one unfortunate event after another at the end of Yu Yeon's life :jinbtscry:

Honestly, I 'lost concentration' (stealing @mademoiselle's words) during ep 13 and 14 :PsyWhat: and since I'm watching another crime drama at the same time, I think I no longer have a clear mind who in which drama and playing what roles :nervous:

One scene in ep 14 that made me go 'huhhhh :heiboi:) - that was the scene between the prosecutor who is just like Ju Won's brother and Han Gi Hwan. The one he stood up to HGH and said that he served prosecutor and not the police agency (and I went like "yayyy greattt..he came to his senses" here) and then Ju Won came and HGH ordered him to take him away and he became like HGH's servant once again and said 'yes sir' :shocked: Talk about a super duper quick change of attitude :idk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

Will Shin Ha Kyun be nominated for the Baeksang ? 

BTS

106267614.1.jpg

Agree with this article from Soompi

7 Crime & Mystery K-Dramas That Keep Us On The Edge Of Our Seats

Beyond Evil

“Beyond Evil” is a new psychological thriller that follows the story of two detectives. Lee Dong Shik (Shin Ha Kyun) is haunted by the disappearance of his sister while Han Joo Won (Yeo Jin Goo) is a promising detective who strives to follow the rules. After losing an informant in a sting operation gone wrong and trying to investigate what he believed to be unsolved serial murders, Joo Won transfers himself to the Manyang police station to solve the case. Although he first suspects Lee Dong Shik, the pair eventually work together to unravel the mysteries that have been embedded into Manyang for the past 20 years.

This drama is extremely well-written and each episode ends with a new cliffhanger to keep the suspense going. Much like some of the other dramas on this list, “Beyond Evil” catalogs great attention to detail as its characters begin to bend rules in order to solve the case. It fulfills the show’s ultimate question: “Who is the real monster? Is it you? Is it me? Is it us?”

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Party! 1

Episodes 11-14

-I'm still watching! I actually watched all the episodes live, but ironically just got lazy to write my opinions just as the really big twists were coming to light :idk: Typical me! I have to say while the twists are good, like @abs-oluteM, I guessed JW's dad after KJM was caught, so it was kinda fairly obvious too. In a weird way, I was more surprised about how involved LCJ was in his knowing every little detail of YY's death since he was tied to it through a number of people.

- But like you all said, the biggest mystery still remains how he successfully courted OJH, especially since he's so slimey and she seems so smart and cynical. Like how were her standards so low??? :lettalKWA::lettalKWA::lettalKWA:

- I felt like it took a long time for the unholy union's story to unravel...since all you ever saw at the start of the drama was the 3 of them having dinners over the developments... but once the murder story got underway it pretty much became a story about them. :lenny:

-YY's death was so horrible in that it seems like she suffered for a long time :lettalKWA::letalQQ: She would have been in pain and then thinking finally there would be a person to save her...only to be run over. And then who knows if she was struggling in pain or fully dead yet when she was hit by a second car. Really so awful....and then her body being hidden in the family home is just so super dark! 

-Although not the main killer, JJ's younger self seemed very irritating and irresponsible. Like he just seemed like a spoiled brat. And then he couldn't face the consequences of his action for years and just let his awful mother push him around :pandarage2:

- Ughhh JW's family is such a mess and it made me quite sad to see his childhood - no wonder he turned out to be so uptight. Haha...I feel that's why he has such love for DS...due to his daddy issues, he has found another father like figure to banter with :laugh:

- @mademoiselle I am impressed by your ability to still summarise whole story accurately while you were dozing...whereas me, I was paying attention wholeheartedly and still missed that JW's dad was rushing because his wife was committing suicide?? My excuse is: my attention is not too good due to fear for this series...I watch at 1am and then get very paranoid and can't look out any windows or anything in case scary murderers are outside :psweatduck:

• Haha 5

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

a2d5fe70cf7a428680d7dfae50229757.jpeg?s=

Yeo Jin Goo And Shin Ha Kyun Team Up To Capture The Monster In “Beyond Evil”

Tension will escalate in the upcoming episode of JTBC’s “Beyond Evil”!

In the previous episode, Lee Dong Shik (Shin Ha Kyun) and Han Joo Won (Yeo Jin Goo) finally dragged the true nature of the monster out into the light. They tracked down the secret rendezvous between Han Gi Hwan (Choi Jin Ho) and Lee Chang Jin (Heo Sung Tae) and learned the shocking truth. The person who drove Kang Jin Mook (Lee Kyu Hee) to suicide was Han Gi Hwan, and Jung Chul Moon (Jung Kyu Soo), who suspected the truth, was his next target. When Han Joo Won learned that the person who ran over Lee Yoo Yeon (Moon Joo Yeon) 21 years ago was his father, he exploded with rage, sorrow, and betrayal.

In the new stills, Han Joo Won and Han Gi Hwan have a tense confrontation with each other. Han Gi Hwan, who usually maintains a poker face, flies off the handle and grabs his son’s collar in rage. Han Joo Won refuses to back down, and he sharply glares at his father with a stormy expression.

Spoiler

beyond-evil-11.jpg

Another set of stills share a glimpse of Lee Dong Shik and Han Joo Won. Lee Dong Shik looks shocked at the sight of something, whereas Han Joo Won’s face is filled with determination. Viewers can look forward to unpredictable twists and turns until the end.

beyond-evil-2.jpg

In episode 15, Lee Dong Shik and Han Joo Won will work together to prevent another tragedy. The production team hinted, “Please wait and see how Han Joo Won’s anger will affect their journey to find the truth. [The two characters] will come across unfinished calamities and unexpected twists. Please look forward to their synergy that will reach its peak.”

Source

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@JenL What scares me more is that the murderers here ( KJM especially) are not strangers to the townsfolk . Everyone liked / pitied KJM . Am sure many were his customers. 

Finale week!

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210409/106330559/1

106330557.1.jpg

This should be the same as what @Chocolate has posted.

Spoiler

In the last broadcast, Han Ki-hwan's cruel reality was revealed. Han Ki-hwan was the real culprit who killed Lee Yoo-yeon (played by Moon Ju-yeon) 21 years ago, and instigated in the  suicide of Kang Jin-muk (played by Lee Gyu-hoe) to Lee Chang-jin (played by Heo Seong-tae) to cover up. Han Joo-won, facing the real face of his father, Han Ki-hwan, was filled with anger beyond control. The ending of him walking to Ki-hwan Han under the heavy rain with his whole body shaking foretells  a violent storm ahead between the two.

Meanwhile, the confrontation on the day of Han Joo-won and Han Ki-hwan in the published photo amplifies the tension. Han Ki-hwan, who maintains his poker face under the circumstances, is angry with Han Joo-won. Even in the sharp eyes of Han Joo-won who confronted this, indescribable anger rattles. It is also interesting to see Joo-won Han erasing his face and reaching out to his father, Ki-Hwan Han. What is the meaning of his smile? In the previous trailer, Han Joo-won was also revealed, saying, “You must be a father, chief of the police agency.” Following this, the appearance of Lee Dong-sik  further heightens the sense of crisis. Lee Dong-sik, who was willing to place his faith in Han Joo-won. The contrast between him and Joo-won Han heading for somewhere hints of an  unpredictable development until the end.

In episode 15, which airs on the 9th, Lee Dong-sik and Han Ju-won are working together to prevent a recurring tragedy. Here, the relationship between Ki-hwan Han, Chang-jin Lee (played by Heo Seong-tae), and Hae-won Do (played by Hae-yeon Gil) is also bringing a breakdown. The production crew of 'Monster' said, “Please watch how Han Ju-won's anger will act as a variable in tracking the truth. The unfinished crisis and reversal will strike the two men," he said. "Please look forward to the peak acting synergy that Shin Ha-gyun and Yeo Jin-gu will show."

More stills...poor JW...I feel his pain

Eyg9KT7WYAI0WLi?format=jpg&name=large

Eyg9LVNW8AM0wP8?format=jpg&name=large

Eyg9MnyWEAA9vW1?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Although nothing in this show really surprises me (except the number of times Yu-yeon was knocked out by different people in one night a la Murder on the Orient Express), I still look forward to this every week with the same amount of eagerness. It just reads like a darn good novel. 

I am curious to see what choices Ju-won and Dong-sik make. Ju-won especially when his own father is in the thick of things. Han Gi-hwan being one of the conspiracy came as no great surprise but it will be poetic justice of sorts for him to miss out on the Commissioner General job just as he can smell it. Maybe that's the best punishment for an ambitious man like him.

Both guys have been through a lot. Dong-sik especially. The poor fellow needs to get justice for his family. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Another great episode. @mademoiselle They don't talk so much anymore. Now they just look at each other and know what to do. 心有灵犀 😂😍

For some reason, I like watching Lee Chang Jin scenes. Wonder if it is the script (his lines are smart) or is it the actor. Here's one, and the interrogation scene was 👍🤩

**Spoiler**

Spoiler

Uc6QvrH.gif

Dong Sik shy? 😂🤣

spacer.png

Spoiler

It's confirmed. The bodies buried at the deer farm are Jin Mook's kills. And Jeong Je's mother used to lock him there when he was young. No wonder he hears deers cry. Now she no longer even has the excuse of loving her son - she is evil for her own ambitions.

• Haha 5

6ff3a66f9cdf4998961d3e45750a4fbc.jpeg?s=

“Beyond Evil” Previews Intense Moment Between Yeo Jin Goo, Shin Ha Kyun, And Choi Jin Ho

Apr 10, 2021 by L. Kim

Get ready for the final showdown between Yeo Jin GooShin Ha Kyun, and Choi Jin Ho on “Beyond Evil”!

Spoiler

In the previous episode, Lee Dong Shik (Shin Ha Kyun) and Han Joo Won (Yeo Jin Goo) put their heart and soul into stopping stop tragedy from repeating itself. However, Han Joo Won stated Jung Chul Moon (Jung Kyu Soo) was dead, throwing viewers into confusion. Han Joo Won looked at his bloodstained hand and said, “I think I killed him,” and Lee Dong Shik was shocked by the unexpected events. On top of that, Han Gi Hwan (Choi Jin Ho) was appointed the head of the National Police Agency, signaling an unpredictable development in the story.

On April 10, the drama unveiled new stills of an explosive moment between Lee Dong Shik, Han Joo Won, and Han Gi Hwan. In one photo, Han Gi Hwan points a gun at Han Joo Won out of anger for being set up. Han Joo Won’s eyes flash with rage rather than fear. In another photo, Lee Dong Shik aims his gun at Han Gi Hwan, and Han Joo Won blocks him. What will be the final choices of these three characters?

beyond-evil-21.jpg

The production team commented, “Please watch to see the final choices that Lee Dong Shik and Han Joo Won will make. What is beyond the truth found by the two men who fiercely chased after the monster? The lingering feelings will be as deep as their desperation, and the ending will be very ‘monster-like.'”

The grand finale of “Beyond Evil” will air on April 10 at 11 p.m. KST.

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 5

@Chocolate Now I know what you mean about 心有靈犀~ :laugh:

And!!! :Party02: I didn't doze off! :Party01:

It was nice that these two finally had one meal together (it's a date!) :eeeee:

There are people shipping Jae Yi and Joo Won and this episode showed Jae Yi is worried about him, kekeke.

The actor as Lee Chang Jin is actually a good/veteran actor. He always play a scumbag though and convincingly, and so it's hard to like his character. Another actor who plays convincing sleazy scumbag a lot is Kim Hee Won but I have seen him play goodie before. 

What a twist. Do Hae Won never loved her son? LOLLL. I'm not even surprise. In the end she concealed the secrets because she was thinking about herself.

@abs-oluteM Think Yeo Jin Goo may be eligible for Baeksang too... he was nominated for The Crowned Clown already in 2019 but lost to Lee Byung Han for Mr. Sunshine. That year's contenders were super strong though (The Fiery Priest, MoA, My Ahjussi). And oooh, will we see a reunion at Baeksang between YJG and KSH (for It's Okay Not to be Okay)? :wow2:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1