Monster/ Beyond Evil 괴물 [2021]

Great episode! Daebak acting from both our ML at the beginning of this episode. Man, I cried when JW knelt down in the rain, holding onto DS. 

The parents shown here never truly loved their children. Only see them as liabilities. Urgh! Made me so mad at them. Exception would be DS’s parents. 

8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

There are people shipping Jae Yi and Joo Won and this episode showed Jae Yi is worried about him, kekeke.

Yes! I noticed that too. I hope the writer will show us a little bit of hope even in the final episode. 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I cried when JW knelt down in the rain, holding onto DS. 

Me too. I could really feel JW's pain. Here he was thinking that DS killed his sister ( in the early episodes) but how heartbreaking that it is his own father who was responsible for this.

@mademoiselle I was rooting for YJG to win something for The Crowned Clown. I think it would be lovely if he got something for this. 

I was going through the cuts for eps 16 , but fell asleep :shocked:. But I know that LCJ killed the Superintendent.  And JW and JY saved Jung Je from the mental hospital but of course JW had to arrest Jung Je for what he did 20 years ago. I only saw  up to when they were interrogating the Councilwoman

Will watch afterwards with subs 

But I think I wanna cry that this wonderful drama has come to an end..

Well done to the cast. Drama ended at its highest ratings of 6% ( better than Sisyphus, lol!)

Gonna miss them

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

:Party02: That was a good and logical wrap up! So far I believe the writer addressed all the loose ends e.g. the link between Do Hae Won and Kang Jin Mook and the deer farm, down to the littlest detail such as the guitar pick that was initially dropped on the road, even though I assumed it was moved & planted at the reed field by Kang Jin Mook.

Yet another twist on Do Hae Won (felt trolled by the writer, lol). Last episode we thought she never loved Jeong Jae and then it is twisted around again that she does. I didn't expect myself getting emotional for this scene but kudos to both the actors - I couldn't stop the tears as Jeong Jae repeatedly wailed, "It's because of me. It's all because of me!" and in parallel Do Hae Won broke down as Jeong Jae's message was conveyed to her. Argh, that was good.

That said, I had always wanted to express my disgust at how despicable Do Hae Won was (but got sidetracked and forget). She knew Dong Shik was innocent and she has the gall to head over to his house kicking up a fuss, blaming Dong Shik for everything for the last 20 years. Poor Dong Shik.

I would have been okay with Dong Shik and Joo Won not being punished, but I understand the writer wants us to understand that if we break the law, we should admit to our fault. Contrary to Vincenzo, Beyond Evil is more black and white without grey.

Yeo Jin Goo finally made up to the expectation of what he can do with this character, just a bit too late in the drama for my liking. I really wanted to see him lose his temper in episode 15 but he didn't, a little disappointed there even though what happened next where he begged Dong Shik was just as good, as well as episode 16 that he shot at Han Gi Hwan, pissed that his Dad still tried to put the blame on others. I hope to see more awesome drama/performances from him in the near future. :heart:

And congratulations to me for not dozing off or lose concentrations for the last 3 episodes, LOL. :laugh:By the way, I guessed it isn't just us wondering about Dong Shik and Joo Won's relationships @JenL, even Lee Chang Jin asked Joo Won if they were dating. :laugh: And too bad, it seems like Joo Won isn't interested in Jae Yi. Bahahaha. This boy still carry the burden of his sinful father, but I like that Dong Shik and Manyang bunch are still lovely and understanding of him.

Last but not least, here's to hope (in Dong Shik's exact word) that we all eat well, sleep well and poop well. :laugh::laugh::laugh: Hahahahahahahahahahaha, he had to emphasize on the "tong" loudly... so vulgar, :lol:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

For a police drama, it's got a good share of emotion, which I usually ff but not for this. A wonderful drama all around. Baeksang nominations will be out next week. If this show qualifies, I hope to see Shin Ha Kyun and Choi Dae Hoon (Jeong Je) nominated, and perhaps best drama as well.

I just have one question:

Why did Dong Sik remove the fingers from Jin Mook's house and then place it outside? If he wanted to "help" Jin Mook, then why place them outside his house?

😭😭😭

9a4d733cf1fab9692049b8b42a7a8d476b3576a0

Source

😍😍😍

96883c698b9a054a04c4c9d57a663434432df70e

cbf7cd4094110b6c6924b925d64e75811150facb

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1
4 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Why did Dong Sik remove the fingers from Jin Mook's house and then place it outside? If he wanted to "help" Jin Mook, then why place them outside his house?

Should "help" be "lure"? - he was trying to lure Jin Mook out and shake him up that someone knows.

7 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Baeksang nominations will be out next week. If this show qualifies, I hope to see Shin Ha Kyun and Choi Dae Hoon (Jeong Je) nominated, and perhaps best drama as well.

Baeksang is held by JTBC Plus and Ilgan Sports so yes, this show definitely qualifies.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
8 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Should "help" be "lure"? - he was trying to lure Jin Mook out and shake him up that someone knows.

But that doesn't make sense. If Dong Sik wanted to "catch" Jin Mook, the fastest was to just call the police when he discovered the fingers in his home.

Initially I thought he wanted to "help" Jin Mook because he was family and he was thought to be mentally ill. So he was helping to cover it up although he was very upset that Min Jung was harmed. Only when other people started to be framed, then he decided "make the call".

This is the only part that was a bit strange to me.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
Just now, Chocolate said:

But that doesn't make sense. If Dong Sik wanted to "catch" Jin Mook, the fastest was to just call the police when he discovered the fingers in his home.

Initially I thought he wanted to "help" Jin Mook because he was family and he was thought to be mentally ill. So he was helping to cover it up although he was very upset that Min Jung was harmed. Only when other people started to be framed, then he decided "make the call".

This is the only part that was a bit strange to me.

The police cannot indict Jin Mook without a body. Dong Shik couldn't find Min Jung's body (or Yoo Yeon) that's why he decided to lure Jin Mook with the fingers.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

What an intense and packed finale! But nothing felt rushed. Everything is accounted for in a good pace, even answering our questions how/what Ji Hwa see in LCJ and what made them divorce. While I knew the guitar pick would be explained, I didn’t expect writer would remember/bother to tell us about the marriage and divorce of these two. 

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Yet another twist on Do Hae Won (felt trolled by the writer, lol). Last episode we thought she never loved Jeong Jae and then it is twisted around again that she does. I didn't expect myself getting emotional for this scene but kudos to both the actors - I couldn't stop the tears as Jeong Jae repeatedly wailed, "It's because of me. It's all because of me!" and in parallel Do Hae Won broke down as Jeong Jae's message was conveyed to her. Argh, that was good.

I cried too for this scene, also when JJ decided that he wouldn’t turn himself in and asked to be arrested instead. Then I teared up again at the reunion budae jjigae luncheon of the Manyang gang. 

And yes, for SHK or YJG being nominated and getting the award!! 

@Chocolate have you watched Nobody Knows? It’s an SBS drama aired last year. That is another good drama. 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 15 & 16 (Finale!)

- I want to start off by saying I picked this up not looking for a romance, but in the end DS and JW had greater chemistry than some of the romances I have seen. It was a level of intensity like no other in the last part of this series....Hahaha @mademoiselle I laughed when even LCJ noticed! And when DS asked JW to arrest him and the handcuffs came out, it could have just been some rings or.... well, handcuffs also imply some other sort of...chemistry...hahaha

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

-But backtracking to JJ's mum, DHW....ughhhhh that council woman was so awful. Even though it turned out that that DHW did love her son, it was definitely not healthy to hide his crimes to the point she allowed a serial killer to continue murdering people in the town and bury the bodies on her deer farm! :pandarage2: And then to have the nerve to frame DS knowing full well he had nothing to do with the death of his own sister is truly appalling. Also to say those awful words to her son that he meant nothing to her were hurtful...like if he's a bit of a timid child who is useless without her...whose fault was that?! You locked him up in a deer farm when he was small!!! :pandarage2::pandarage2::pandarage2:

-JW's dad, HGH, was pretty awful too. After seeing JW's childhood, I was so sad for him. HGH is the worst type of human - a hypocritical narcissist. And what's worse, an extremely ambitious one who has no remorse for getting rid of anything or anyone who stands in their way...he was also smart and so careful not to incriminate himself, so many layers had to be peeled to get to him. It's just sad that JW was morally aware and empathetic so he suffered the guilt of his father's actions, as well the trauma of his own mistakes :pandascared:

-As for LCJ scenes, I have to say like @Chocolate, I really enjoyed watching him. I'm not sure if it's because I usually have a soft spot for cheesy gangsters in films, especially if they are bad, but not really that bad. In the context of Beyond Evil, LCJ was a shitty human being, but at least he was well aware of that instead of acting like some upright citizen. Haha, I also liked that he broke into Russian randomly and still swooned over OJH (And they finally explained why she chose to marry him, even though I still think she set her standards a bit too low! :laugh:)

-The ending was done well with all the real criminals caught and punished. I didn't feel like DS and JW should have gotten punished either, but I guess the message of the story had to be consistent since the theme was partially to do with corruption - it would be weird if the cops you liked didn't get punished despite doing things that are said to be wrong. I have to say I wish that slimey prosecutor who sucked up for the dad had gotten punished a little...I mean, "he turned over a new leaf"...but not really, since he wouldn't have if JW didn't tell him to? :lenny::idk:

- I loved that they ended it with all the Munju police crew eating at the station and having a reunion after time had passed. It was lovely- I liked that they were all still close and that the town actually looked bright and inviting for once...And that not everyone was there, since JJ was still in jail, but it was still a happy ending, even if it was a little bittersweet.

-Overall, I agree with whoever said (possibly @40somethingahjumma or @abs-oluteM) that the revelations were not necessarily mind blowing at times except for YY's killers, but there was something that drew me into the story. The cliffhangers at each episode end were always good, I felt. Like it left me wondering how they would explain the last scene just shown to us. :MewHi: 

-I'm going to end by saying I will miss this series (though not the paranoia it inspired in me at 2am). And even though they talked so much, I'll miss DS and JW's chemistry. I can't believe DS wished JW well in hoping that he not only ate well but pooped well. LOL. That level of romance. Only in K-dramas.  :lenny::laugh::lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Finally I managed to finish this drama. I can't say it's perfect, but it absolutely can be better. Had not with strong performance of the lead, I probably can't finish this. I think most of the problem is because the dialogue often too muddled and repetitive. 

However, I think the drama managed to bring the purpose to introduce about how missing person case can drag until very long and the destruction to the family is very real.

• Like 6
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@SilverMoonTea What happened to you and your YJG obsessing? Did you drop this series? :thinking: He was still beautiful till in the end :heart: I have an appreciation for him now and he's in the Oppa books for sure.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:05 AM, SnowBlob said:

Then Ju Won came and HGH ordered him to take him away and he became like HGH's servant once again and said 'yes sir' :shocked: Talk about a super duper quick change of attitude :idk:

Haha, to be honest, his character annoyed me quite a bit...what's worse than an evil person are those sucking up to evil people, but don't even have a backbone...

On 4/4/2021 at 7:00 PM, mademoiselle said:

I've been told/from reading TV ratings are not reliable in Korea because the ones holding the TV remote controls are the ahjumma. Ahjumma likes makjang over this sort of shows. 

This explains why the dramas that are high on the ratings are things like World of Married, Penthouse and Sky Castle type dramas - makjang! :PikachuFacePalm: I'm sure they have some merits too, but the events and plots are super dramatic and definitely not my taste for sure.

On 4/5/2021 at 10:20 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Some really fantastic acting there by YJG especially at the end of eps 14 when he discovered that his dad was responsible for the death of DS sister , and subsequently everything else that happened as a consequence of that. I felt so much pain for JW - he had a particularly sad childhood and don't exactly have the best relationship with his father. But to find out that he has been mislead & deceived by his own father is whole other level of pain. 

I really agree with this! I thought YJG's acting was quite heart-breaking here. He was able to show such an outrage and sadness and numbness in that scene that I really bought into. He's very good at being perfectly in control of his characters without ever being over-dramatic, I feel. JW's character was very sad and lonely and I felt like he need to go to that small town to find a place to belong:heart:

On 4/9/2021 at 6:47 PM, abs-oluteM said:

@JenL What scares me more is that the murderers here ( KJM especially) are not strangers to the townsfolk . Everyone liked / pitied KJM . Am sure many were his customers. 

The one thing I remember from criminology classes back in the day (haha, because it was such a dry subject) was that crimes are more often than not committed by someone you know. There's always the stereotype that some stranger will break into your house or kidnap you on the streets...but it was something like over 60% of the time in murders it's family, friends, neighbours, community people from church that commit the crime! I remember the case where this guy chained 3-4 women as slaves in his house for a decade and he was friend's with one of the women's fathers. The father even asked him to hand out flyers about his missing daughter and search for her and he did it. Such evil people exist in the world :lettalKWA::letalQQ: So I feel like KJM here is actually oddly enough a very realistic portrayal of a psychopath...it's that guy who you thought would be harmless in your community, but actually has been watching everyone with evil intentions and putting on an act and enjoying making everyone look stupid. :psweatduck:

On 4/10/2021 at 5:22 PM, mademoiselle said:

@Chocolate Bwahahahahahahaha~

Ok, I hope I won't fall asleep for this episode coz technically I've slept a lot today.

Ironically I fell asleep and replayed the scene 3 times in episode 15 where DS tells JW to eat his noodles since life goes on even if people die/ go to jail. In the end I had to give up and watch both episodes today. I was just exhausted yesterday! :zzzz:

On 4/10/2021 at 6:36 PM, mademoiselle said:

The actor as Lee Chang Jin is actually a good/veteran actor. He always play a scumbag though and convincingly, and so it's hard to like his character. Another actor who plays convincing sleazy scumbag a lot is Kim Hee Won but I have seen him play goodie before. 

Yeah, I think he was quite a good actor...he just had sleezey and selfish gangster downpat. Is this a compliment? :thinking::laugh:

On 4/10/2021 at 6:36 PM, mademoiselle said:

What a twist. Do Hae Won never loved her son? LOLLL. I'm not even surprise. In the end she concealed the secrets because she was thinking about herself.

Actually Do Hae Won actress was good too - I feel like I've seen her as evil and annoying characters quite a few times before. Her last role that I remember was Professor Song in Do You Like Brahms? I guess she just has one of those sharp, judgemental ahjumma faces and a very shrill voice. Again, not sure if compliment for insult  :idk:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Yeo Jin Goo & Shin Ha Kyun are the saving grace for this drama @JenL. I also have hard time not to fell asleep in some scenes. Glad I watched it, as before this I also never been too impressed with his acting before. But here he showed a great range of emotion. And he definitely more suit in crime & serious drama than in cute romcom. For sure also oppa in keeper! 

• Haha 7

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@SilverMoonTea Watch The Crowned Clown if you haven't. That was outstanding. Highly recommend.

@JenL You're killing me with your description of actor LCJ and actress DHW. I've seen the actress in multiple dramas. She's extremely convincing as a horrible mother — the worst had to be Something in the Rain. She then transformed into a good mother in Find Me in Your Memory.

EDIT:

2 articles from critic / Baeksang judge Jung Deok Hyun praising the actors and Beyond Evil (in Korean)

http://www.entermedia.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=26229

http://www.entermedia.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=26227

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Party! 2
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Did I mention YJG cry beautifully in this scene?

O I cried too here, haha... when he put his head on DS handcuffed hands. 

41 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I think most of the problem is because the dialogue often too muddled and repetitive. 

😂 that’s because you’re not used to it probably. I love the dialogue because I feel that it plays into the suspense and mysteries too. I paid good attention in fact 😆

41 minutes ago, JenL said:

World of Married, Penthouse and Sky Castle type dramas - makjang! 

First two yes makjang, but I never thought of Sky Castle as makjang 🤔

42 minutes ago, JenL said:

The one thing I remember from criminology classes back in the day

What do you study that you have to take criminology classes?? I would love to sit in one 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@ktcjdrama @Chocolate - I really liked Nobody Knows too! I enjoyed this one even though there were some parts that were a bit frustrating. It had a great cast too. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this drama, even the countless dialogue exchanges. Haha! I really don't have much more to add because I think everyone else has summed up this drama very nicely already. I hope Yeo Jin Goo and Shin Ha Kyun win some type of award for their performance because it was excellent! 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 4

Phew...finally finished the last ep today. 
Overall.. I think it's a good drama but can't be included in one of the 'greats' on my list. I found myself playing with my iPad or phone every now and then when watching this drama. The first few eps were really engaging I wasn't distracted but further along the line while the drama still produced a good story, for some reasons I got distracted easier :idk:

I'm so glad though that the writer did explain all the 'questions' arose from previous eps (if I remember them all correctly) just like @mademoiselle said. So it really is a solid drama :yoongibtscheer:

I also found myself a bit teary during the crying scene in ep 16 where HJW had to arrest LDS. THEN... I was wondering...why the tears?? I mean not from myself..coz of course the background music and the acting from our male leads were so moving..but more from...why were they crying so sadly during that scene? Was it because HJW grew so attached and fond of LDS? Was it because he felt guilty that his father started all these and so LDS had to resort to the action which got him arrested? 

So "Beyond Evil" ... what do you think of the meaning of this title? 

Kang Jin Mook would definitely fit into that description but surely the drama wasn't about him since he got caught early on in the drama. 

And what can I say... I think this drama just shows how one crime can lead to another and to another and to another .... 

Thanks folks~ We managed to finish another drama together. It's been fun! Now I'm going to look for another drama to watch 

Spoiler

Come and visit "Undercover" - start 23rd of April

I might go and check the Taxi drama...

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

2 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

I also found myself a bit teary during the crying scene in ep 16 where HJW had to arrest LDS. THEN... I was wondering...why the tears?? I mean not from myself..coz of course the background music and the acting from our male leads were so moving..but more from...why were they crying so sadly during that scene? Was it because HJW grew so attached and fond of LDS? Was it because he felt guilty that his father started all these and so LDS had to resort to the action which got him arrested?

Second one: Joo Won felt guilty and he didn't have the right to be the one arresting Dong Shik. I would also like to think it's also because they both had to become a monster/go beyond evil to catch those monsters.

LOL, I was thinking to myself that consider I lost concentration (joined you in looking at my phone too) and even dozing off, I managed to be able to answer the questions raised here LOLLL. I think it is a solid drama with consistent story-telling but definitely not super wow in my book - I'd like it more if the exchange between Dong Shik & Joo Won were less going in circles or shortened or revised :P

• Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

@mademoiselle I gave you clapping hands reaction because it's truly amazing (as @JenL said I believe) that you're still able to recall many details even with distractions :shocked: Compared that with me with full concentrations I still won't be able to recall things properly :nervous: 

I do like that the show isn't delving too much into romance (eg: LDS and the lady cop or HJW and JY) but rather we're shown more on the bromance (LDS and HJW) and the team chemistry :hearties:

• Haha 5

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

I love this drama from start to finish. It would definitely come recommended from me for one of those dramas you should watch in 2021. @mademoiselle I think the cast & show deserves all the Baeksang nominations.  While I have said all the while that SHK and YJG were fantastic in their roles, like @Chocolate , the guy playing Park Jung Je was a revelation.  He was in Do You Like Brahms but here his acting chops were on display. @ktcjdrama I was tearing up in many scenes including this one. His mum did a lot damage to his life and his friendship with Dong Sik under the guise of protecting him. She was actually just protecting herself.  She was blackmailed by everyone including Jin Mook!

WN6jkS2.png

On 4/11/2021 at 7:57 PM, JenL said:

Overall, I agree with whoever said (possibly @40somethingahjumma or @abs-oluteM) that the revelations were not necessarily mind blowing at times except for YY's killers, but there was something that drew me into the story. The cliffhangers at each episode end were always good, I felt. Like it left me wondering how they would explain the last scene just shown to us. :MewHi:

Not sure if I said this. Think it was @40somethingahjumma. But I agree wholeheartedly - I like the storytelling and it was a proper procedural ; it gives insight to how the variables within an investigation can be manipulated & how the loopholes in the law can be exploited resulting in the wrong person being punished or the guilty person living scot free for so many years. 

---------------------

Anyway folks, come watch Taxi Driver ( 1st two episodes were a blast) and also Undercover as promoted by @SnowBlob which will premiere on the 23rd if you like crime/action dramas.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring