3. 3. Ending of the Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol will be:

• Start with wedding, end with wedding of Jun & Rara
    • Time jump before the happy ending of Jun & Rara
    • Ambiguous ending
    • Separation ending
    • Others, you can share more in thread

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

You guys are saying goodbyes too soon. I still haven't watched it yet. Plus, don't forget there are still behind the scenes. That surely would be better than the actual finale, hahaha!

@eNDe I hope to see you more in other drama threads. Also, if you want a really good (and I mean good ending etc) then try out 18 Again (Here I am trying to sell the drama again, hahaha) :pandaheadstomp:. When there's end to a drama, there's a beginning of a new one. Hope to see you back here spazzing about a new one in another drama thread/s.

I really enjoyed 18 again too!!! Would def recommend it!

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

Finally I am calm down enough to come here and properly read all of your posts and feel much better after reading it all..:cry:

Right after finish it I do really want to meet writer-nim and have serious talk with her? Why? What happened? What have you done to my lovely drama? Why did you do that to Rara and Jun? :pandarage2::pandaroar:

I never really disappointed about the ending while watching K-drama. But I really really do this time. After throwing all of those twist and turn how could they did this to us the viewers? Seriously writer-nim you could do so much better within those 60 minutes. 

I know that's going to be last minutes reunion thanks to IG spoiler but I didn't expect it'd be this bad:shocked: because it's hard to understand.  I wish to see comedic vibe  and lovely atmosphere again in this last episodes but there's none.

I am okay with the first half (it's lovely to see actually because everyone is gathering and happy) even after Jun Mom come with bad news and everyone grieving for Jun. Even I already now that Jun is alive but I can't help but teary while watching them cry. So when the cute baby show up and Rara talk to someone on phone, address him as "Jia Dad", i thought it will be forward-flashback story. That in this "5years later" day Jun is fine, married to Rara, have a cute baby and in the rest of Episode we got to see how it happened. But NO, writer-nim still pull trick on us. :pandasadspoon:

Even after last scene. I still have a hope that we could get an Epilogue that will explain how Jun get back so healthy and handsome like someone who never sick at all. But NO. We didn't get it too. 

Yeesssss, I agree that 'i want to fully recovered" is not enough to explain those 5 years.

Writer-nim what did you do to Jun character here? :pandaroar:

Jun is so consistent. He is consistent in his love for Rara. He is consistent in his way treating Rara. But he is consistent to in lying to Rara. I thought that his lie will end with his age, but it keep going. Even he did it for what he thought as good reasons it's still not right.:JigglyAngry:

Ant thankfully Rara is consistent too with her all kindness, forgiveness and understanding. She is such a lovely person.:heart:

I am so sorry for my late rants. 

I don't know if this too late to ask, but I am just curious. When Jun Mom told Rara about Jun condition she said "Jun can no longer come here". Is it the right translation? I rely on sub only. 

So she didn't mean it as Jun is dead, but maybe his condition is getting really worst with very low possibility to survive. But still she didn't correct it when Rara ask if Jun is already dead. So, yes she is lying about him. He might be on verge of death when his Mom come to Rara. Jun may feel that there's no need to give any hope since he's really dying and he didn't want her to wait for him again. He may prepare the letter and ask his Mom to do so (sent her tea cup back and the letter) long before just in case he's conditions is get worsts. 

11 hours ago, eNDe said:

With my personal experience witnessing my mum being diagnosed with cancer just last year then a major surgery soon after followed by the slow and painful recovery, I didn't think I could survive without mental support from my sisters and good people. Both for me as the caregiver and my mum, the patient.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I do really wish your mom is all better, health and happy now and always :)

10 hours ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

.I also completely agree with you saying that jun never thought that Lala would be able to weather the storm with him. It was incredibly selfish of him to make decisions for her. At least tell the girl the truth and allow her agency to decide what she wants to do.

In my opinion, even from the beginning Rara handling her grieves and sadness better than Jun. Yes, she's cry easily but that's why she move forward easier than Jun who keep everything bottled up inside

Like @eNDe said that it's better to get support on hard times and I agree, but Jun choose other wise. I have to say too that Jun shouId know better (after losing Ji Hoon) that sad moments will be memory that will be easier to put aside by times but regrets will stay longer and harder to resolve. He's sick, maybe sees Rara sad because of him make it more unbearable for him and he feels so bad for Rara to have sad memories of him being sick, (but yes he didn't consider that he will left Rara with regrets). He know Rara surrounded and loved by nice people and will do great on her own as time pass by. Some said that psychological state of a patient play big part for their recovery. What Jun did is selfish from my pov , but if he decide that's help him better on his recovery I can't say that I can't understand at all.

I tried so hard to put myself on his shoes all this day. So I don't hold grudges on him hahaha

Overall, episode 16 has satisfying closures for other characters (even Hayoung and Seung Gi's better than Rara and Jun)  except for Rara+Jun and Grandpa. They deserve better closure. How heartbroken Grandpa must be to know that someone who saved his life, a dear friend he cherish, die before him. And he passed away with this kind of thought.

And of course Rara and Jun!!! Seriously writer-nim could craft the second half so much better. Yes, I want to see Rara&Jun to be together being all lovely and adorable like they used to be. But more than that I want proper explanation and make sense if possible.

If this is up to me then I will make Jun who fully recovered, running excitedly to Lala Land when he hears his welcome song, only to shocked with the sight Rara  walking out of Lala Land holding Hayoung's baby together with Dr.Cha looking happy together. He'd be so broken hearted since he know nothing, even for short moments. Of course he deserved more than this. He should feel thankful for Rara still love him after left for 5years. 

@Mapleoaks5 @Unnie0110 @eNDe haha I love your ending version more than the real one. :wow: . I have to agree with you all that Episode 12 is my happy ending

Despite messed up badly the last 4 episodes, write-nim had created loveable characters. I just love them all. Kudos for all actors that work hard to making them alive..

Go Ara and Lee Jae Wook, i never thought that they will have really great chemistry. I just love them both.  Lee Jae Wook, is promising actor. He show different persona on his role as Jun and Manbok. 

On side note: I happy to see them have fun on every BTS. Especially Go Ara haha she looks happy working on this drama. Cause I follow her dramas for long and watch the BTS too.

I love all characters, the cute and lovely moments, cinematography, OSTs, lovely music, Lala Land, Mimi,  even every scenes about foods :hearties:.

I love all the lovely moments, all twist and turn, even I enjoy being frustrated for too much plot twists:laugh:i just disappointed by this ' unfinished ' happy ending. 

I still love this drama despite all of the flaws but maybe I will hold grudge for a long time because the ending :laugh:

Lastly thank you all for letting me join this forum. @JenL @stroppyse @mademoiselle @Tofu @Unnie0110 @eNDe @Mapleoaks5 and esp to @SilverMoonTea , I find this forum through your tweet

I feel thankful to have you all get trough this drama. I always find new point of views, insightful thoughts while reading your posts and get different perspectives of this drama. Thank you for sharing it all:heart::hearties:

@JenL and @stroppyse thank you so much for always provide subbed video for us..and I'd really love to read  more of your opinions.

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

You guys are saying goodbyes too soon. I still haven't watched it yet. Plus, don't forget there are still behind the scenes. That surely would be better than the actual finale, hahaha!

Hahaha you should watch it soon:laugh::laugh:

..ah talking about BTS they released it soon after the drama finished airing and yess it's make me so much better looking at GA and LJW being adorable together:laugh:

Edited by Just_Me
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Just_Me yes, Juns mom never says he died. She just said he can never come back, but Lala makes the assumption that he died and the mom never corrects her. Which I found so bizarre. How can she not correct her? “No he’s hasn’t died, but he’s really really sick and we don’t think he has much time” or something like that? Also why wouldn’t she go to the funeral? Or ever visit his grave?? Just like her dad she never visited him? Unless they show that off camera. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Just_Me said:

I don't know if this too late to ask, but I am just curious. When Jun Mom told Rara about Jun condition she said "Jun can no longer come here". Is it the right translation? I rely on sub only. 

1 hour ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

@Just_Me yes, Juns mom never says he died. She just said he can never come back, but Lala makes the assumption that he died and the mom never corrects her. Which I found so bizarre. How can she not correct her? “No he’s hasn’t died, but he’s really really sick and we don’t think he has much time” or something like that? Also why wouldn’t she go to the funeral? Or ever visit his grave?? Just like her dad she never visited him? Unless they show that off camera. 

Yes, the translation is right. However, Jun's mother actively led LL into thinking Jun was dead by speaking in the past tense to refer to Jun as in "Jun had been very ill." And when LL point blank asked if Jun was dead, the mother just bowed her head and cried.

Jun's mother was actively helping Jun lie to LL, though I'm sure her tears were real at the though of Jun being ill.

I didn't even bother with LL not only not going to his funeral, but not even going to his grave to put flowers during the 5 years because it is all part of the same nonsensical ending.

2 hours ago, Just_Me said:

..ah talking about BTS they released it soon after the drama finished airing and yess it's make me so much better looking at GA and LJW being adorable together

If you drop the BTS here, I'll do one last translation for it. Unless it's already subbed. Since you say it's healing, I'll trust your word for it.

• Like 4

I'm back from hanging out with friends (friends who don't watch dramas) so I have had a mental break from thinking about the show and the ending and I feel like I'm in a better place to talk  without typing them all in cap locks or ranting incoherently! :laugh: 

It's funny because we all wanted a happy ending and this is the first time in my life where I technically got a "happy ending" (ie. not an open ending and not a death or permanent separation) and the most hurt and disappointed I've felt in a long time about a drama ending :letalQQ: - one which gave me a lot of struggles today with cognitive dissonance because I loved the drama and still want to love the drama when I think of episodes 1-12 (or even parts of 13/15), but I couldn't find any way to explain or justify the ending in a way that would convince myself to to accept it. And the saddest part was that it was the very last episode with no further explanation (epilogue) that could fix the feelings. From twitter and other forums, I feel like a lot of people share this feeling too.

This is a bit of an essay, so maybe make a cup of tea as I unload my thoughts.

The perfect endings that could have been & What went wrong?

I have so many issues with how the writers ruined their own amazing script. They had the perfect pacing of events, they made a lot of the dialogue so fun and unique and they had such interesting ideas and well developed characters. They also set the the story up so that it could have had any of the perfect endings that @Mapleoaks5 summed up:

19 hours ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

A) If they wanted to stick to the storyline that jun was sick, they should have had his mom come and say that Jun was really sick. In fact, he’s in a coma now. (Since we throwing all sorts of tropes out there) Lala then decides she wants to stick by Jun's side and takes care of him in those 5 years. He miraculously wakes up and they get married and have their happily ever after.

B) Jun fesses up to Lala that he’s sick. She’s shocked but decides to be by his side and care for him. He doesn’t have a coma, but treatment takes a while. It’s touch and go for awhile. But he ends up pulling through. They get married and have their happily ever after.  They have a kid and their kid is best friends with hayoung and seung gi kid.

C) Or, jun never had cancer. He bought Lalaland in exchange for him going abroad to medical school. He’s honest to Lala about the exchange and promises that he’ll come back for her after he’s done with school. They maintain a long distance relationship and he’s finally done with medical school and he’s able to stand on his own two feet now. They reunite, and finally get married and have their happily ever after. 

But they decided to trade this in for a lot of tricks and twists that was not smart, comical or romantic. They used really over-dramatic but non-nonsensical story development that threw off their pacing, ruined the consistency of their character's personalities and and threw plot logical out the window. This last bit really gets me because stories don't have to be realistic per say, but we need the story to have a continuity of logic so that we can follow along and still "believe" in the events as likely to happen given the circumstances of that world, even if they would not happen in the real world.  The reason we liked episodes 1-12 is because that continuity occurred between those episodes, especially with Jun's character. Sure, he had his secrets, but his personality was one you understood. He had very clear core values and motives - he would never hurt Lala, he couldn't wait to be by her side, he was struggling with grief. However that continuity of logic broke with episode 14 - his character who had been believable suddenly became very unbelievable because he was not acting according to the way his character was built. :letalQQ:

I'm going to say while I hated the first act of noble idiocy (fake girlfriend), I have seen it many times before in other dramas...and if it was to "let Lala be free" and not see him as he perished with cancer...I could grudging, grudging understand. It's not noble and it's hella annoying, but at least it was that I'm-going-to-suffer-in-silence-so-you-apparently-can-be-set-free mentality. However, the fake death for 5 years...I could not understand at all. How can you say you don't want to hurt someone when you fake your death? Isn't the death the main cause of hurt that you wanted to prevent them from being hurt about in the first place? This lack of logic really made me mad the whole day because  just could not reconcile what point the writer was trying to make. :ChikoWTF::pandarage2:

I have read some fans saying that they felt the writers actually wanted to give the drama a sad ending, killing off Jun, but were pressured by the TV stations/ script buyers to make it a happy ending so they brought him back, but in the most bizarre fashion possible. This in a way makes sense because I felt from the moment we found out Jun was DDSSLLS and that DDSSLS were the notes to twinkle twinkle little star, there was a tragic romance about killing Jun off and making him a star that watched over her for the rest of her life. It's not an ending I would have wanted especially not for a rom com, but it made a lot of sense. The other theory which is more what I feel has happened is that they really wanted to put in that Lala-having-a-baby-with-someone-else red herring, the same way they had put in the wedding red herring. If this was the case, I'd be super angry because it was not funny, nor was it worth all the pain we were put through to have that one scene :mad:

Even If the Last Episode was Makjang, there could have been small fixes

There were so many points in the last episode where they could have inserted some scene or sequence that would have fixed the story a little or at least turned it around a bit. It would still not make the ending perfect like those we saw above...but if these things were added, I would have swallowed the ending a lot better. This is the very least amount of effort they could have put in to try to at least make the story end even a tiny bit better:

• Let's say he was very sick at Christmas - Jun's mother, whether sent by Jun or coming of her own accord, could have just told Lala that she thought Jun was dying, but didn't want Lala to see him in his death-like state. It would not be ideal, but at least Lala would know the truth (even if she hadn't heard it from Jun's mouth) and even if she didn't see him for a long time, at least she would not have been hurt from his "death" :PiplupCry:
  • Honestly, even if they really really wanted to do the "death" shock in the middle and make it a quirky plot twist, it could have been done as a misunderstanding from his mother where she thought he had died - there could have been an actual scene showing Jun struggling in the hospital and perhaps looking like he was dying from his cancer around Christmas. And then the next day he pulled through and it was all a misunderstanding and the mother had to go back and explain to Lala he was not dead and Lala could have rushed to the hospital to see him and be with him. I could have accepted this kind of quirkiness in line with the style of the drama from episode 1, where everything was a bit left-of-centre. :CharmanderYay:
  • This one has been on my mind a lot, but if they wanted to go down the "death" shock route and the separation for 5 years (which I still hated), why didn't they keep Jun's DDSSLLS secret till the very end? At the least even if he had faked his death, he was still using that account to watch over Lala and to comfort her for 5 years even if he felt he couldn't do it as Jun. :pandarage: At least then I would still have felt Jun was caring as a person as opposed to someone who just left her.
  • Even if they had kept the episode the same up to almost the end and  they had to be separated for 5 whole years, at least Jun could have looked heartbroken about it upon returning to see Lala. Jun's reaction upon returning to Lala the first time was so heartfelt because he was so desperate to see her and explain the truth. He was so teary to see her - he had obviously missed her and felt so guilty for leaving her without an explanation. And after 5 years, you think he would have had a look of more guilt and sadness...not like strolling in casually and teasing her, which was not like Jun's style. Jun only teased Lala in the past when she wasn't distressed :HaunterOK: I don't think this was due to LJW btw, but due to the script, which seemed to imply that he had to come back all teasing to Lala like this whole thing had been a big joke. If they wanted to do this route, Jun needed to have come back teary, racked with guilt for what he'd done and missing her. They'd need to chuck in a montage of how he'd been lonely for 5 years thinking about how she was...as it stands, the way he came back happy (even if it's because he finally beat cancer) it did not sit well due to the faked death.:scaredpanda2:
  • They'd had an Epilogue every episode to explain things which we thought we understood the first time, but didn't. This episode had nothing. If they had added an epilogue to explain any part of that faking of the death/ the suffering of 5 years apart when Jun always wanted to be with Lala :shocked:
  • They could have made the time frame 1-2 year. 5 years is too damn long.

Trying to reconcile what we have currently have & feelings towards the show

I thought watching the ending would give a sense of closure, but all it's done is made me think about how I could try to fix it. I hate this feeling - it's happened a few times when I watched a drama I really liked and then the ending was terrible. It's just that dissonance of both really liking something and really disliking something at the same time and feeling really uncomfortable because you want to fix it but can't! :psweatduck:

I do think a lot of people have been through the same feelings today. There's lots of things people have said to make themselves feel better. A few people have said that it's a happy ending for Lala because if what she wanted was Jun, and Jun came back, then she got what she wanted. I know this simplifies the situation a little too much. But the heart wants what the heart wants, I guess. :heart:   Someone else said that this drama focuses on the turbulent part of their relationship, but now that all the secrets are revealed it would be smooth sailing going forward as adults. As for the 5 years, quite a few people had stats about how it takes 5 years to beat that cancer and to be very sure he had, so maybe he really was suffering for 5 years and was on his deathbed at Christmas only to recover later which was why he was so happy at the end. There were some comparisons to other worse drama boyfriends who had been taken back and a few jokes about Jun still having some Baek Kyung Tsundere elements (LJW's character from Extraordinary You). Nothing will fix the ending, but some of these things made me at least smile a little. :hearties:

I want to end by saying while I'm salty at the ending I do love the show up till episode 12 and I'll just pretend it ended at Episode 12 with some bonus scenes afterwards. Luckily I don't tend to re-watch dramas even my favourites, I just skim the bits that I like...so that's what I'll do in future. I'll just go back to the fluttery scenes I liked and ignore episodes 14 & 16 in particular. I can't deny the joy the earlier episodes brought me over this tough year and I really liked Go Ara and Lee Jae Wook's chemistry so much, so I'm holding onto those positive things :BulbaOWO:

That's why @eNDe is right in what she said about watching the BTS (at least for me)....behind the scenes have made me feel better because it's been fun seeing the cast have fun together more than their characters have been! It's not how everyone feels, but for me the BTS did make me feel better in the thought that I was supporting Go Ara and Lee Jae Wook's project (His first lead project)....so I'm just going to end by dropping the last few BTS video here in case it helps you too (But feel free to ignore if you just want to forget!):MewHi: If you read this...Thanks for reading my loooong processing of feelings! I wanted to reply to people's comments but will do it tomorrow as it's so late now!

• Like 4

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

I loved watching this with all of you, @stroppyse @JenL @eNDe @Just_Me @Mapleoaks5 @Unnie0110 @mademoiselle @SilverMoonTea!! Thank you for all the wonderful discussions, sharing your thoughts, translating, creating videos for us, and more! Every time I finished an episode I would check the thread with thoughts of, "Oh, I wonder if they felt the same way I did about this part". :laugh:

I think these are arguably the best scenes in episode 16, don't you think?

M0yvMt2.png

etwN5ip.png

YaRppwp.png

And I guess these bonus photos of Jun from the ending scene...the way he does that smile of his. :wow:

Spoiler

JrtrBpx.png

9M8auwA.png

O5KatYc.png

xyKKExo.png

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2
On 11/26/2020 at 8:41 PM, mademoiselle said:

Errrr... I'm a bit confused. Last episode Jun wanted to break up. Then this episode it's all OK again to meet Rara and come clean with everything because she finally remembers him? Not only that, he gave her the couple rings, signifying they are back together...? :pandadisgusted: Whaaaa? So quick he changes his mind?

Ohhhh, sorry to not have mentioned you in my Thank yous @mademoiselle! You also gave some valuable insights which made me happy while reading. I'm probably a bit late in replying to this, but this must have have been episode 15 when there was hope for at least some sort of logical ending :letalQQ: Yeah, I found it odd that the writers would have him come clean about being DDSSLLS rather than coming clean about his illness. Because he could have used the DDSSLLS identity to have looked after her while ill. There was no logic in the choices afterwards. And the mind-changing was quick. I got the sense that he loved Lala and didn't want to break up with her, and that he couldn't resist when she said she was still in love with him....but was so eaten up by the idea of dying that he felt he had to do something. But then the writers went off the tracks with this in the last episode and nothing made sense anymore, so who really knows? :scaredpanda2:

I kept expecting to see Jun faint so that Rara will find out the truth, LOL. I'm honestly surprised the writer actually went down the "Jun is sick" route...

I actually wished this had happened! Would have made A LOT more sense....I think the illness didn't surprise me because I started to notice a trend with other characters. If something happened to another character, it would probably happen in an opposite manner to our OTP :lettalKWA: So making a big deal out of Dr Cha not being ill set me off big time.

About the sickness... I've imagined it before if I ever had such illness and what I would do. And my conclusion is I'd never know what I'll truly decide to do until this sort of things happen to me. The calm logical mind thinks the right thing to do is to share this news with my loved ones and have them be there for me and be positive. However being away from home and from family, what i haveearnt is that my family did the same. I wasn't told Dad was in operation with a burst appendicitis until the operation is over and they only told me a couple of days later so I won't be worried. I also didn't know my aunt had cancer. Was only told a few years later after she finished her chemotherapy treatment and recovered. The chemotherapy damaged her health and lowered her immune system.

I can understand where Jun is coming from too. His condition is "acute" (AML) which will need to go through chemotherapy and the side-effects are quite a lot and he doesn't want her to see all this coz he's not going to be in his best condition. I honestly believe if I'm this sick, I'll be really down and in bad mood when I am in pain... this kind of "feelings" may really put a strain in the relationship. And there'll be time when I want to be supproted, and there'll be times where I want to be left alone. That would be reality. But we obviously are watching a drama and we expect love can stand the test of time/sickness.

I'm going to say I agree with this (and this being written before watching the finale). Had the show only down just the conventional route of just illness and Jun not wanting her to suffer while he was sick (traditional noble idiocy), I would have grudging grudging understood things and it would have been using the same logic that you've used to frame your thoughts too! And like you, mademoiselle, I also agree that I would like to think I would be calm and tell the truth....but I do think there could be some chance that I would try to cover things up for the people around me too, which is why while I hated the first instance of him trying to hide it by breaking up, I did kind of understand. I have to admit I might fall into the mindset I was making those around me suffer...and maybe it makes me as bad as a noble idiot, but I have kept secrets before to prevent hurting people.... :thinking: Luckily it wasn't as dramatic at that point and things passed ok :idk:

On 11/27/2020 at 2:55 AM, stroppyse said:

It's pure emotional manipulation by the writer, while totally dropping character continuity.

Yes, I was totally fuming at this point because it really hurt my feelings and the logic completely dropped off for that character. That character being pretty much the main character after Lala. :pandarage2::pandarage2::pandarage2:

On 11/27/2020 at 2:55 AM, stroppyse said:

I feel as if that ending was a kick in the teeth, as if to say "okay, here's your happy ending" but we're going to blow up all character continuity for the sake of one last minute reversal.

Not to mention, Grandpa dies offscreen during those 5 years that Jun is also away, and we get told of that by the TWD ladies. So, there isn't really much grieving for him.

There were some genuinely sad moments in the last episode, but it's all turned to outrage to realize how our emotions were deliberately played with for one last trope. And, that the writer and production felt that it would all be okay as long as it gave a final happy ending scene.

I think you summed it up perfectly. A part of me wonders (and I have seen fans write this elsewhere) whether the writers had planned to kill off Jun, but got backlash from script buyers/ TV stations that they had to add him back in. Maybe they did it angrily. Because that's what it felt like....it was like, "You want a happy ending? Fine! Here's your precious Jun back! But he won't be perfect anymore!" :letalQQ: Actually I was going to say, the ending scenes with Jun's voice-over in the final scenes where he said "whenever things got tough I always remembered that summer when I was 19", it felt like they would have matched a drama where the character died and had this thought before he died. The more I think about it (I've given myself a deadline to think and grieve this weekend and then get back to normal on Monday), the more I feel Jun's return could be read ambiguously - only Lala sees him return (no one else) and his character feels a bit less like old Jun (so could be made from imagination since it's been 5 years). He said he wasn't a ghost, but doesn't mean he couldn't be something else. It was a day where everyone had mentioned Jun and maybe Lala imagined him out of grief :PiplupCry: It felt like the writer wanted to play it both ways and satisfy their own original idea as well as the audiences expectations. But they made it messy with no explanations. Honestly, one epilogue giving some sort of explanation could have made it at least a tiny bit easier to swallow - but they didn't even bother and it makes me feel like they mistreated and abused us.

Ughhh, in all my rage about how the ending unfolded, I didn't even have time to grieve Grandpa's death and it made me sad to think that he might have died not knowing Jun was still alive. That's another thing that didn't make sense to me. Why bother telling Grandpa he was sick and then telling him not to tell Lala, only to have Jun make a big dramatic scene at Christmas where he couldn't come and had faked his death? Also, Jun not telling Lala was a biggg thing, but Grandpa and Jun's mum could have said things so that Lala could have investigated, but they also didn't. Is anyone really an adult???? :shocked:

I feel like the writers and production should be punished really. I was so keen to watch Shopping King Louie after this. But given it's the same writer....I don't think I can for a long time even though I've heard you say it's a good story line and not as bad a fall out because I'm so so angry at this writer. I think I'll just go watch old Go Ara/ Lee Jae Wook projects instead. I also wonder who edits a script??....the writer is one thing, but you would think it was ok'ed by a lot of people before it hit filming. I sometimes think the scripts are ok'ed by older males who don't watch dramas. Wouldn't the PD or production say something about this type of ending and the reactions they'd get?? Surely the point was to get high ratings and sell DVDs?? I suppose people still tuned in because they wanted to know what would happen :scaredpanda2: It was really cheap and dirty.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:08 AM, Mapleoaks5 said:

But the one bright spot that comes out  from this is Lee Jae wook, even though his character was done dirty in the last 3 episodes, I thought the actor was great and can’t wait to see him in another drama!

Yes I hope he continues on with amazing lead roles that don't warp or disappoint in future. I'm sad it wasn't in this drama though because his chemistry with Go Ara was so cute the entire time. I'm also annoyed because he has played villains before, so this would have been the perfect way to give him a wholesome character. But it is what it is I guess and we'll just have to appreciate him in another role :letalQQ:

On 11/27/2020 at 4:02 AM, Tofu said:

I felt the five years jump was a bit too much. She went through all that pain and suffering for five years just to have Jun come back and begin where they left off. The explanation for this was that he just wanted to make sure he was fully well before he returned. What?! The drama started off with Jun lying about his age and ended with him lying about being dead too? I really liked Jun but I don't think I agreed with how they wrapped up his character in the end here. 

5 years was way too much. The only explanation I've seen floating around from people less upset by the ending which has offered a tiny bit of comfort was the stats that it would normally take about 5 years to recover more fully from that form of cancer. It doesn't help with how the character dealt with the situation though. I agree - I don't like what they did with Jun's character. I could understand the first few lies, but to continuously use him as a vehicle for cheap plot twists and emotional manipulation really hurt.

But to comfort myself because that's all I can do now, I guess if Lala really wanted him back and he came back fully recovered and that would apparently be 'the end' of all the secrets and lies since the writers have freed them of their awful 'plot twist writings', that's all I have to hold onto then. :idk: 

On 11/27/2020 at 4:19 AM, Mapleoaks5 said:

I wrote my own ending. 

if they wanted to stick to the storyline that jun was sick, they should have had his mom come and say that Jun was really sick. In fact, he’s in a coma now. (Since we throwing all sorts of tropes out there) Lala then decides she wants to stick by Juns side and takes care of him in those 5 years. He miraculously wakes up and they get married and have their happily ever after.

or, jun fesses up to Lala that he’s sick. She’s shocked but decides to be by his side and care for him. He doesn’t have a coma, but treatment takes a while. It’s touch and go for awhile. But he ends up pulling through. They get married and have their happily ever after.  They have a kid and their kid is best friends with hayoung and seung gi kid.

Or, jun never had cancer. He bought lalaland in exchange for him going abroad to medical school. He’s honest to Lala about the exchange and promises that he’ll come back for her after he’s done with school. They maintain a long distance relationship and he’s finally done with medical school and he’s able to stand on his own two feet now. They reunite, and finally get married and have their happily ever after. 

Hahaha, you should be a drama script writer or editor! The endings you wrote made SOOOOO MUCH MORE SENSE and were beautiful.

Thanks for sharing @Mapleoaks5 to make us feel better :BulbaOWO::hearties:  I will sub one of these into my memories

On 11/27/2020 at 6:36 AM, Tofu said:

This was five years of memories lost because Jun wanted to decide what was best for LaLa. 

Yeah, even if he was sick there could have been some beautiful memories...just like there was every time Lala went to hospital. Lala was such a happy person that I'm sure she would have made his days in hospital more bright and happy and lovely. And it really doesn't make sense because the character knew that from the way she cheered him up about his friend's death. :pandarage2:

On 11/27/2020 at 7:33 AM, Unnie0110 said:

Where do I begin? I started watching DDSSLLS for a light watch drama. I did not expect it to be my crack this 2020. Episodes 1-12 were good and I thought that it was clever of the writer to put all the heaviness early so the remaining 4 episodes will have resolutions, reunions and lots of sweet romcom moments. SHOW, your MAIN plot problem (I'm reminding them because it seemed they have forgotten it!:mad:) was that Jun was underage, he turned 20 in the end of Ep 12 but yet to finish his CSAT). YOU SHOULD HAVE STOP with this problem and expounded on this on and how he'll maintain his relationship with Rara, finish his studies, accomplish his dreams and convince his parents that Rara is worthy of him. The last 4 episodes were a COMPLETE mess.... I do not know what happened to the writer/s, did they really think that it was entertaining to fool the audience for the last 4 episodes. We have come to deeply care for these characters and they were consistent until Ep. 12. So trolling all for the heck of it was UNFAIR.

Haha, I also didn't expect to like the show this much and for it to be 'my 2020 crack either'. I still think about how I thought about dropping this drama after episode 1. And when the ending finished, I think I almost had that thought: I should have dropped it after episode 1 - it would have saved me a lot of heartache for sure. :cry:  But I have had time to think and I definitely ended up forgiving episode 1 and loving everything up to episode 12. So it will live in my memories as that as well as my support towards Lee Jae Wook's first lead project and GA and LJW's chemistry :hearties:

Yes, given that this drama was meant to be 'healing' I felt that a lot of it actually made me more stressed at the end because it didn't make sense. It was really cruel of the writers particularly because they had set up these characters in a way that made you love and cherish them...and then they ripped them apart so close to the end when we as viewers were already going to have to let them go due to the drama ending (Withdrawl symptoms :laugh:) So now we all have to deal with double the pain - the pain of reconciling and piecing together what we can out of the ripped shreds of a lovely drama and the pain of the drama being over and not seeing LJW and GA for awhile.

Jun's mom should have called Rara that Jun's condition was not good, that she should come and see Jun for the last time (I don't think that any mother would actually travel all the way back to Korea just to deliver a cup and letter IF her son is still struggling and could die any moment). 

Yep, I'm angry at Jun's mum for playing along despite knowing what it would do to Lala when Lala had been so respectful of her wishes and in her heart she knew Lala was important to Jun and had already accepted it. The teacup also hurt. Doesn't it signify he was letting go of himself as Lala's future husband? Why bother going back to find her if that was the case then??? *fresh wave of rage even though now calmer* :pandarage2::pandarage2::pandarage2:

Of course there were many heartfelt moments in the last 4 episodes but we, the audience were distracted by the many crazy plot twists that we can't fully digest and appreciate them. How I wish we have learned what Jun's true dream was (it was Ji hoon that wanted to go to Stanford and win the Fields Medal, Jun wanted to tag along because he loves his friend) how awesome it would have been if he realized his true dream and went to accomplish it without being sick and pestered with unnecessary plot twists. How I wish, Rara never had to go through all those moments of crying and suffering alone (Jun's age lie, first break up with Jun, Jun breaking up with her, Jun being sick and dying ( or not) and was led to believe about this fact for FREAKING 5 whole years!)

The heartfelt moments in episode 15 I have mentally cut and paste and stuck into a montage of their life before they got married. It works perfectly if you insert it in your memories as an earlier part of episode 12 - Jun sneaks back to Eunpo to see Lala...they spend the day doing the things they use to do, hanging with everyone and then Jun proposes to Lala and they 'sleep' together......then he has to go back to studying for a few months....But he hears about Dr Cha and Lala and is shocked because Lala had accepted his ring, how could she betray him so he goes to run away with her and then they get married on the beach. Excellent logical way to cut and paste those heartfelt moments into the drama! :laugh::BulbaOWO::hearties::CharmanderYay:

I wish we had found out more about Jun and Lala as characters are well. So much time was wasted. I loved the side characters. But with how they treated the OTP in the last 4 episodes, the charm of the side characters faded a little because of how they were used as pawns of distraction. Like I didn't want to see Jae min play a piano song or Dr Cha and his wife reuniting. It's a real shame. :letalQQ:

Kudos to Go Ara and Lee Jae-wook for being such good sports (I'm sure they themselves don't understand what happened to their "healing" rom com and why their characters acted the way they did in the last 4 episodes). Their chemistry was the best thing in this drama, they never fail to make me smile whenever they are together on screen. Now i want them to do another project together where they will be happy and sweet all the time! ;) without noble idiocy and sickness tropes!

I do not understand how the writer did not utilized this strength and made them separated for most of the last 4 episodes. It would have been nice to see Rara and Jun dating happily, fighting like a real couple, overcoming their problems together, being happy for each other's accomplishments, getting married and living a happy life in Eunpo. How I wish there's a DDSSLLS two hour special to make us see all these things after what we've been through the last 4 episodes.

Ahhh, Thank you for saying all this and I agree wholeheartedly. :MewHi:

The writers actually had something so strong going on and I don't know why they didn't use that strength. There were sooo many paths to go down, all of which they could have added fun twists to and the story would have actually been better. And one of the early strengths of the series was the quirky dialogue, especially between Lala and Jun so you're right that it would have been good to see them play fighting as a couple. But when they added the angst, the dialogue actually became boring as it was conventional and serious - it lost it's style and uniqueness :facts:

I feel like there'd be a higher demand for DVDs if they had done the type of ending you suggested. Someone said they were thinking of buying the DVD to see if there was any missing scenes or explanations that could fix things. As it stands though I don't know if people would want to spend money on this. I actually thought about it when the drama was good...but with the ending they've lost me, though I will totally look to see if others rip anything of interest.

I do wonder how GA and LJW felt about the way the show went. As actors you probably accept a script and you have no way to alter it really accept for the occasional ad-lib. The thing that helped to hook me into this show was definitely GA and LJW's chemistry, both on-screen and off. :BulbaOWO::hearties: Not a shipper, but definitely felt there was such a comfortable and natural way to them joking around and teasing each other in all their interviews and game videos, which translated to good on-screen chemistry. For example this never fails to make me laugh:

fOPHLyL.jpg

4pMVLFw.jpg

W6ZfZte.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thank you for all your insights and comments, it has been really helpful to make sense of the final episodes that we've seen. In my head, I have imagined and re-imagined all the possible scenarios that you all have been proposing and some ideas of my own because it's the only way to cope and not march to KBS and demand a rewrite and re-shoot of the last 4 episodes! hahaha

I also find the BTS a great source of happiness, the cast seemed really good natured and good friends to each other. I find GAR and LJW interactions funny and sweet. LJW seemed so shy around her and used honorifics a lot hahah and GAR such a humble and easy-going sunbae to him. I hope they will do great projects from now on, together or apart;) Side note, it seemed that LJW get drunk pretty fast hahaha I laughed when GAR said that he was pretty drunk when they first had a meal together, it explains why he was so near her in their picture outside of that restaurant hahaha the director said that she liked that picture because their chemistry shined a lot! all because LJW was drunk! :laugh: what a first impression! 

I'm still mad at writer for messing episodes 13-16 but thanks to all of you I'm coping and starting to let go of my resentments. I have learned my lesson, I'm never watching a drama written by this writer that has not been completed haha If the comments are great then I'll watch but if not I won't. :cool:

I'm watching THE CALL right now in netflix , I need a good scare to forget my frustrations with the final episodes of DDSSLLS.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

The final BTS that @Just_Me posted from this drama with translation. Not sure if @JenL is going to want to sub this, but still put in timing info on the translation.

Title: Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol
Subtitle: <Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol> Final shoot BTS (feat. Is he perhaps a ghost?)

caption: Jun is giving the ring to La La.
caption: Still not having released all of his anger at the fake wedding, Jun
Director: You look very happy?? k k k
LL: It hurts. He liked it too much… Jun. (captioned)
Jun: So, I’m telling you not to go around wearing just any ring. (captioned)
caption: Completely different from the script.
LL: La La is crying because it hurts so much. (captioned)
Jun: Later on, when we’re filming, I’ll hit her harder. (captioned)
PD: (So cooly~) Yes! (captioned)
LL: Yes??!!! (captioned)
caption: Even the director she had trusted…

Remainder in spoiler because of length

Spoiler

0:24
LL: Are you leaving now?? (captioned)
caption: La La is wistful at Jun leaving.
caption: This kid has really grown up a lot!!
Jun: No. I’m going to sleep over and then leave. (captioned)
LL captions: Taken aback. Excited.
LL: Together?? (captioned)
Jun: Yes!  (captioned)

0:34
caption: ahl-na-li  ggal-na-lee x2 (me: This is like saying “mehrong” or “neener neener” when you want to tease someone.)
Jun: It feels as if you came up here with the attitude of “Hey! You’ve been caught red-handed!” (captioned)
Jun: You’re not really sleeping, are you, sunbae-nim?  (captioned. Sunbae-nim is a very respectful way to address someone senior to you.)
Jun: Sunbae-nim??!! (captioned)
staff: She hasn’t been able to sleep.
caption: Expert at sleeping. The nation’s no. 1 at acting asleep!!
LaLa: For a sleeping scene, I tend to get ready early to get into the mood. (captioned)
Jun: Sleeping scene?? (captioned)
LaLa: (Emphasizing) Should I say that it’s the scene that I prepare first and earliest for? (captioned)
Jun: Ahhh
LL: Yes, that’s right. (captioned)
Jun: Ahh… Sleeping scene..  (captioned)
Jun: Yes…  (captioned)
caption: Why is there no response?
caption: Warning that she’s not really sleeping. La La is actually getting into the mood of the scene.
LaLa: Everyone, sleep well~ (captioned)
Jun: Sleep well? (captioned)
caption: That’s not it.
LL: Nothing left to to say after that. (captioned)
LaLa: Sleep well! (captioned)
Jun: Sleep well.
LL: When you say it that way, it has a different feel to it.
caption: Suddenly a fiery “sleep well” discussion
Jun: Sleep well
LL: Sleep well
Jun: However, why does your body keep getting involved?? (captioned)
LL: Sleep well
caption: Gesturing gesturing. “Sleep well” La La Style
caption: (heart) Heart-pounding.  La La Jun’s first night together~ (heart)
Staff: Cut! That’s an okay!

1:32
LL: This is the pretty Hill Park (captioned)
LL: It’s pretty (captioned)
LL: However, don’t come up here in the winter. (captioned)
LL: It’s very cold. (captioned)
Jun: Can you see the moon? (captioned)
LaLa: The moon. It’s too pretty. (captioned)
caption: Prettier than any picture, the night view.
caption: Omo! Have to take a picture of this!!
LL It’s fantastic! (captioned)

1:54
LL: Why haven’t you been in contact all this time!! (captioned)
caption: Jun who has reappeared in front of La La.
LL: I thought you had died!
caption: Worry and relief fueled La La’s fist

2:04
LaLa: You aren’t a ghost, are you? (captioned)
Jun: What should I do so that you’ll believe that I am in front of you? (captioned)
caption: Definitely, trust is with a kiss~
caption: (heart) Determining he’s a person not a ghost. (heart)
Staff: Cut! That’s an okay! (captioned)

2:31
LaLa: Are you leaving by yourself?! (captioned)
Jun: If it were me, I wouldn’t go. (captioned)
LL: If it were me, I wouldn’t go. (captioned)
caption: La La is teasing Jun who is leaving for home.
LL: Go by yourself!
Jun: Work hard! (captioned)
caption: A young man who makes sure to say his greetings.

2:40
caption: Eun Seok who is spilling out his guts to La La.
ES: Even when I started dating my ex-wife, even when I was contemplating re-marrying her, I was very cautious.
ES: Thank you, La La-sshi (captioned)
staff: Cut! That’s an okay!

2:52
ES: Thank you
LL: You’ve worked very hard! (captioned)
caption: Eun Seok has finished his final shoot.
ES: You’ve worked suffered much. You’ve worked hard.
Eun Seok: Just a little longer. Fighting!! (captioned)
caption: (heart) You’ve worked very hard! Dr. Cha (heart)
ES: Thank you so much. Really.

2:59
La La Jun: This is our last shoot. (captioned)
caption: Jun is a little in tears.
La La: Did something happen?? (captioned)
Jun: It’s the last shoot, so why are we so happy… (captioned)
caption: The body and the heart are in different places. Jun’s internal feelings explode.
Jun: Ha! Suddenly.
caption: Return of reason. Acting as if nothing had just happened.
LL: I can’t restrain myself! (captioned)
caption: La La’s internal feelings explode, too. k k

3:19
caption: (heart) Full of sweetness through to the final shoot, La La Jun. (heart)
LL: If you can get through the hard times, then good results will definitely come to you.

3:26
Director: It’s all going by in a blur. (captioned)
Director: We first started filming on May 15th. (captioned)
Director: Jun, has your basketball improved? (captioned)
Director: Next year, you have to be able to play basketball well. (captioned)
caption: One thing is for sure, he’s improved his cheekiness!!
Jun: Whenever I touch the ball, it goes in. (captioned)
Staff: Okay. That’s an okay.
caption: Final shoot!! The long and becoming longer shoot is finished!!
Staff: The shooting has all finished.
Staff: La La needs to go to audio.
LL: Audio? Okay.
Jun: We’ve really finished. (captioned)
Jun: We’re really done. (captioned)

3:52
LaLa: Jun.  Even now, I still haven’t been able to cry all I want. (captioned)
LaLa: So, even today when I think about you, I go to meet you like this. (captioned)
caption: You’ve worked hard! Really x2 <Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol> Shooting Finished~
Staff: You’ve worked hard.
Staff: It’s done!
Staff: You’ve worked hard!
caption: La La and Director’s warm embrace
Director: You’ve been fantastic all this while. You’ve worked hard. (captioned)
caption: (heart) La La Jun’s final embrace (heart)
Jun: Good job. Good job.
Jun: You’re not crying, are you?? You’re not crying. k k k (captioned)
La La: I’m so happy~ (captioned)
Director: You’ve worked hard! (captioned)
caption: Our Jun is also finished!
Director: Our Jun. (captioned)
caption: Final greeting with the PD.
Jun: Oh, Director-nim
PD: Aigoo, aigoo, aigoo.
caption: Ultimately, showing her tears, La La
La La: You’ve worked hard! (captioned)
caption: For loving <Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol> until now, thank you!
all: Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol Fighting!

3 hours ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

any dramas you loved? I need something to watch now. 

Well, we're having an event right now where people are supposed to name their Top 5 dramas of all times. You could check that out, and also leave your recommendations for everyone else to check out. :heart:

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 11/27/2020 at 8:39 AM, stroppyse said:

Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), the blood cancer that Jun is supposed to have is actually quite fatal, even though it is probably the most common form of leukemia for adults. Survival rate of about 30% in 5 years for people under the age of 60 which drops to 10% survival rate for those over 60. It's called "acute" because it has such fast progression, that it doesn't have time to become "chronic" meaning something that someone who gets it could live with for a long time.

AML doesn't really have much of a late stage or early stage. However, in the conversation between the Jun's mother and father, they talk about the fact that if Jun had been home, they might have caught it earlier. As with most cancers, the sooner they start treatment, the better the odds of putting it in remission.

Thanks for your explanation! The timeline and logic for his parents not knowing he had the disease was so stupid given that he always had nosebleeds and he must have fainted before because Jun's mum was saying calmly to GY that she must have been shocked when this happened...implying it had happened before. And she told him to do medical check ups...so it seemed weird to have them miss the signs. Sign. Again with the writer's baiting. :NoHalCat: I guess it was to make the cancer seem like it had been around for awhile and therefore worse.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:39 AM, stroppyse said:

Jun never left Korea actually. You know this because in the phone calls between Jun and LL earlier in episode 16, it's dark for both of them while they're talking/texting rather than the 13+ hour time difference that LL kept alluding to. So, she would say "It's morning, so you probably have to go to your classes." then it would cut to Jun who was in bed and it was dark outside for him as well. Yes, so Jun was in Korea for the 5 year time jump getting treatments, but letting LL and his other friends think he was dead.

I actually have to admit, I forgot about this. With this in mind, I also have the say that the airport scene did not make sense. Sooo much work just to pretend you had gone off into a foreign country. Wouldn't Lala have checked his plane tickets and flight times? Hahaha totally over thinking this lack of logic now. :HaunterOK:

On 11/27/2020 at 10:11 AM, Unnie0110 said:

Yes, let us think that DDSSLLS ended at Ep. 12. He stole the bride, got married and went back to Eunpo. They live at Lala Land and Jun continues his studies while working part-time while Rara cooperates her piano academy. They get help along the way from their friends. Jun's parents calmed down after a while because no parent can win over their child. Supports Jun and Rara until Jun graduates from university. They live happily ever after with 3 children - 2 boys and 1 girl (all has Rara's curls and  the boys like to say "shiro" all the time and the girl likes to say "good, good, good" to everything! :wow:

Haha when you said this, I was could physically picture this!!! Thank you soooo much for rewriting such a lovely and logical ending :BulbaOWO::hearties::heart:

On 11/27/2020 at 1:25 PM, eNDe said:

I did what I said I would, I watched both episodes back to back and right at the beginning of ep 15, somehow my senses tell me that I won't be getting the ending I like because the pace was rather off, the overuse of RaRa remembering her moments with Jun and the focus again wasn't what I needed. Yes, writer disguise it by putting more scenes of RaRa and Jun together in ep 15 but then I kinda know her bluff and that ep 16 will be opposite of it where she will focus more on all the other characters. 

Ahhh this is true. The montage of memories is such a big warning sign for me in dramas...usually it means either things will go down the drain or it's like the end. I actually hate watching montages of memories because I feel like it's lazy and it means less filming since they rehash scenes :NoHalCat:

With my personal experience witnessing my mum being diagnosed with cancer just last year then a major surgery soon after followed by the slow and painful recovery, I didn't think I could survive without mental support from my sisters and good people. Both for me as the caregiver and my mum, the patient.

I would have written RaRa being there for Jun all the way no matter what happens. Her physical presence and music could have helped him tremendously and also the people and friends he made in Eunpo. That's how he can focus on health and recovery, not by being away from all of them. 

I just wanted to Thank you for sharing such a personal story @eNDe. I hope your mum is going ok and getting better and that you've had a lot of support during this time. :heart::hearties:

I also agree - if the story was really healing it should have been about that since they showed Lala already being the healing presence in his life since the death of his friend...and he knew the whole of Eunpo was healing for him....heck he should have been treated in Eunpo along with Dr Cha and Grandpa. With Lala looking after him everyday. The illness story being centred around separation was so so bizarre and stupid. :pandarage2: In the end it was just the writer's narcissistic trip.  

Jun knows it was hard for RaRa with her father's death so why can't he be with her even through sickness as he asked her not to let him go after the confession in ep 8. Maybe if I could edit the show, I'll just end it at ep 8 for these two characters. I did think we also probably deserve an epilogue at the end of ep 16 of just the two of them in the following days or years from the final reunion but then I think that should have been in all of ep 16! WTH. 

What irks me is that Jun has never thought RaRa could brave the storm in their relationship. Even at the last piano scene when RaRa played the welcome song, she demonstrated her courage by living another day to the fullest. 

Yessss agreed!! He knew about the death of her father and that's another huge annoyance I have. Wow ending at episode 8 is early, but sometimes there's something to be said about ending a drama at it's peak and leaving it there in it's happiest moments. Also, since I watch Taiwanese dramas, I find series the only have 10-13 episodes often tend to have far high quality in story-telling than those in the 20 episode range because they don't drag out the angst....the stories get straight to the point. Maybe all dramas should be shorter? :heiboi:

I also agree that I found it so inconsistent that he wanted to protect Lala, but ended up doing the most hurtful things. Lala meanwhile was strong and grew through everything. And it makes no sense because he saw her work through her father's death anyway....if she could work through that, and the separation with his age...she would have been a pillar of strength through his illness :SquirtleSquadCool:

21 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Waaaa... I sort of know what happens from seeing the cut clips but with all the reactions from you guys, I'm not so sure I want to/should watch the finale episode. Without watching fully, I already did not like the way this was handled.

I was waiting...waiting...and waiting, even when they were at the airport I wanted Jun to suddenly feel dizzy and pass out.

Yeahhhh, don't watch it if you haven't yet....skip to the behind the scenes and be happy with GA and LJW being silly during their filming of the cute scenes :MewGiggle: Hahaha, he should have passed out at the airport. 

18 hours ago, eNDe said:

I will rewatch my favourite scenes right from beginning and leave the sour scenes out haha so I can have better overall closure. Unless the writer has another plot twist such as making her first ever second season for DDSSLLS but will we watch? lol. 

Hahaha, I'll need some time before I can do that, but I think it's the best way to enjoy this drama and cherish what we had :MewHi:

I want some big shot producer to watch this drama, get angry at the ending and demand to fix it. Never going to happen, but one can dream. If there was a second season, I'd want it to be happy. No angst, no lies. Just pure Eunpo happiness. :BulbaOWO:

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Congrats Team Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol!!!

:heart:

Spoiler

What an absurd ending for me. Pretending to be dead for 5 years? Tsk. I wished they picked a better plot of Jun having cancer. It doesnt sit well with me with all the previous happy and chill episodes. 

Edited by -StrongTower-
  • Like 5

In the strong Tower, I take refuge.

-----------------------------------

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

I speed watched the finale. Like @-StrongTower- and everyone, that 5 years time jump was badly done. I don't even wanna rant since you guys have already done on my behalf. It's really poorly executed. Even if I can sort of relate the reason behind him not wanting to tell Rara, there are so many other loopholes that you guys have pointed out from the moment Rara was told of Jun's sickness to the end.

I would like to think that Jun and Haraboji met before Haraboji passed away because that is such a huge pity if they did not because they share a beautiful friendship there.

Regardless of the ending, I hope everyone still feel that you've enjoyed the process/journey of watching. And yes, agreed that Mimi is the best out of the drama too. I even got used to seeing Byeol's fashion wardrobe. :laugh:

Jun's 5 years later handsome photos from KBS.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIH-HS-Aruj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIH_etagikU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1
16 hours ago, Just_Me said:

So when the cute baby show up and Rara talk to someone on phone, address him as "Jia Dad", i thought it will be forward-flashback story. That in this "5years later" day Jun is fine, married to Rara, have a cute baby and in the rest of Episode we got to see how it happened. But NO, writer-nim still pull trick on us. 

YES!! I forgot that with the baby twist, a part of me was really really hoping that it would be like surprise "Jun was alive and they had a baby!" . The joke would have been far enough at that point and we could have all laughed and been like, haha writers, you are so mean...but look everything is fixed now. But no....they continued to be idiots. :mad:

Even after last scene. I still have a hope that we could get an Epilogue that will explain how Jun get back so healthy and handsome like someone who never sick at all. But NO. We didn't get it too. 

Every episode had a epilogue that further explained things and shed light to the truth except the last one. It was just lazy. :pandarage2:

Jun is so consistent. He is consistent in his love for Rara. He is consistent in his way treating Rara. But he is consistent to in lying to Rara. I thought that his lie will end with his age, but it keep going. Even he did it for what he thought as good reasons it's still not right.

Ant thankfully Rara is consistent too with her all kindness, forgiveness and understanding. She is such a lovely person.

I am so sorry for my late rants. 

Yep they sacrificed Jun's character to scare viewer.. It annoys me to no end and I don't know if I can ever forgive this writer for what they did to such a wonderful character :pandarage2: But yes, luckily Lala's character remained wonderful and consistent and I feel bad for how she had to suffer...but maybe her forgiving nature and resilience would carry her through forever though :hearties:

Hahaha don't worry @Just_Me...I am still ranting. I'm just going to reply to these comments today and then let everything go!!

So she didn't mean it as Jun is dead, but maybe his condition is getting really worst with very low possibility to survive. But still she didn't correct it when Rara ask if Jun is already dead. So, yes she is lying about him. He might be on verge of death when his Mom come to Rara. Jun may feel that there's no need to give any hope since he's really dying and he didn't want her to wait for him again. He may prepare the letter and ask his Mom to do so (sent her tea cup back and the letter) long before just in case he's conditions is get worsts. 

Yep. In the process of wanting to scare everyone they also destroyed the character development on Jun's mum. Nothing made sense because surely, surely there would have been a point where Lala would ask about seeing Jun's body or grave. She would have flown there no matter the cost because that was the type of character she was.

The problem with the faked death is that when the big twist happens, we never got to see Jun's side of the story. Keeping him away from it made him seem like he was playing a big joke on everyone. If we saw how bad it was maybe we could assess and feel like he had reasons for what he did...without explanation we all feel hollow. :HaunterOK: 

I have to say too that Jun shouId know better (after losing Ji Hoon) that sad moments will be memory that will be easier to put aside by times but regrets will stay longer and harder to resolve. He's sick, maybe sees Rara sad because of him make it more unbearable for him and he feels so bad for Rara to have sad memories of him being sick, (but yes he didn't consider that he will left Rara with regrets). He know Rara surrounded and loved by nice people and will do great on her own as time pass by. Some said that psychological state of a patient play big part for their recovery. What Jun did is selfish from my pov , but if he decide that's help him better on his recovery I can't say that I can't understand at all.

I tried so hard to put myself on his shoes all this day. So I don't hold grudges on him hahaha

Overall, episode 16 has satisfying closures for other characters (even Hayoung and Seung Gi's better than Rara and Jun)  except for Rara+Jun and Grandpa. They deserve better closure. How heartbroken Grandpa must be to know that someone who saved his life, a dear friend he cherish, die before him. And he passed away with this kind of thought.

Thank you for your write up about what might have been Jun's perspective. I'll add to the mental list of comforting things I've seen for processing this through my system. :MewHi:

It's so ironic that the main characters had the worse outcomes. In the end, I felt annoyed by the side characters' having better developments than the OTP and it took away from some of that enjoyment I had with watching the scenes. I wanted to cheer on HY and SG, but I felt too sad about the main two to care anymore :letalQQ:

If this is up to me then I will make Jun who fully recovered, running excitedly to Lala Land when he hears his welcome song, only to shocked with the sight Rara  walking out of Lala Land holding Hayoung's baby together with Dr.Cha looking happy together. He'd be so broken hearted since he know nothing, even for short moments. Of course he deserved more than this. He should feel thankful for Rara still love him after left for 5years. 

Hahahahaha. This is literally the best thing!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: 

Yes, they should have made him work to earn back Lala's love. Also I think it was unfair that all the twists were to upset Lala. Why couldn't they do a twist to upset Jun, eh? Why did he just get to walk back into her life on an easy pass?

17 hours ago, Just_Me said:

Despite messed up badly the last 4 episodes, write-nim had created loveable characters. I just love them all. Kudos for all actors that work hard to making them alive..

Go Ara and Lee Jae Wook, i never thought that they will have really great chemistry. I just love them both.  Lee Jae Wook, is promising actor. He show different persona on his role as Jun and Manbok. 

On side note: I happy to see them have fun on every BTS. Especially Go Ara haha she looks happy working on this drama. Cause I follow her dramas for long and watch the BTS too.

I love all characters, the cute and lovely moments, cinematography, OSTs, lovely music, Lala Land, Mimi,  even every scenes about foods .

I love all the lovely moments, all twist and turn, even I enjoy being frustrated for too much plot twistsi just disappointed by this ' unfinished ' happy ending. 

I still love this drama despite all of the flaws but maybe I will hold grudge for a long time because the ending 

..ah talking about BTS they released it soon after the drama finished airing and yess it's make me so much better looking at GA and LJW being adorable together

I echo allllll your sentiments and feelings here. Despite all my complaints, I loved this drama and that's the hard thing. Working around my disappointment because I cared about it sooooo much. A little too much. But it has helped reading your comments today, along with everyone else's, so thank you for sharing!! :heart:

16 hours ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

So true...the more I think about this twist the more stupider and stupider it gets. I feel like Lala would have asked a lot of questions. She wouldn't have just cried and thought it was ok. If it was me....it'd be like "Since when was he sick? For how long? How come you were a terrible parent to him when he was a sickly IVF child? When is the funeral?" :laugh:

I don't think Lala would have let her say no to going to his funeral, so again there was no logic.

Well, at this point I'm going to stop thinking about the ending! ...I feel like this is all the processing done.

4 hours ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

@JenL you’re so sweet to respond to every single post!!! I know this writer left a bad taste but I promise shopping king louis doesn’t crash and burn like this one did at the end! Maybe it can help soothe your heart. :p

any dramas you loved? I need something to watch now. 

Hahaha, sorry to spam you with responses on everything you've written.This drama just got under my skin so much and I loved it...but the fall-out and burn was so bad that I needed to read everything I could that might make me feel better and process it by writing things out...I guess it's like when you have a bad day and  they tell you to write it down in a journal. This thread has been therapeutic!  :heart:

I'm going to say :NoHalCat: to Shopping King Louis at the moment because I'm going through a hard boycott for the tricks played by the writer. They don't deserve my support even if people tell me their old projects were good. I'll probably change my mind one day and cave and watch it, but maybe in a year or so....for now, I think if I miss DDSSLLS, I'll just look at the BTS and watch Go Ara and LJW's old projects that I missed in the past.

Recommendations 

K-dramas: I'm currently also watching StartUp and the story-telling is really good. If there are moments of angst, at least it's evenly spread out. The characters are also engaging and detailed and it's been a good watch if you ignore the heavy shipping wars! 

T-Dramas: I don't know if you've ever watched a Taiwanese drama or would want to try one, but this year produced 2 of the best that I've ever seen (been watching since 2007) - Someday or One Day and Yong Jiu Grocery Store. Someday or One Day had one of the best school romances and an interesting time-travel story line. It won some major awards for script writing, acting and production in Taiwan and has been super popular in Korea too (They got it on Netflix). The romance was super good and at 13 episodes, the storyline is tightly woven :wow: Also, since you liked DDSSLLS, I would highly recommend a super underrated drama called Yong Jiu Grocery Store - it's got the same lovely community vibe and is a much better healing drama than this has been in terms of endings. The story is about a guy who quits his city job and goes back to his village after his grandpa gets sick to take over his grandpa's convenience store...there's lots of lovely stories about the villagers and a few cute romances including the main pair. Everyone who has seen it loves it. Both series are free to watch on Viki. :heart::BulbaOWO:

4 hours ago, Unnie0110 said:

I also find the BTS a great source of happiness, the cast seemed really good natured and good friends to each other. I find GAR and LJW interactions funny and sweet. LJW seemed so shy around her and used honorifics a lot hahah and GAR such a humble and easy-going sunbae to him. I hope they will do great projects from now on, together or apart;) Side note, it seemed that LJW get drunk pretty fast hahaha I laughed when GAR said that he was pretty drunk when they first had a meal together, it explains why he was so near her in their picture outside of that restaurant hahaha the director said that she liked that picture because their chemistry shined a lot! all because LJW was drunk! :laugh: what a first impression! 

I'm still mad at writer for messing episodes 13-16 but thanks to all of you I'm coping and starting to let go of my resentments. I have learned my lesson, I'm never watching a drama written by this writer that has not been completed haha If the comments are great then I'll watch but if not I won't.

Hahahaha, yes...I also remember hearing that story!!! LJW does sound like a lightweight by the way. I love that he said in an interview that he doesn't like to drink but there was a cheeky grin when pressed further about it. I also feel Go Ara has been onto him about this :smile:  And I also loved that picture...hahaha so close to sunbaenim :smug:

I would love for them to work together again, but if it doesn't happen, would love to see them get that best couple award. LJW said he wants it...clearly he knows exactly what his fans wants to hear :laugh:

Q: What do you want to win at the KBS end of year awards?

qY383fH.jpg

RWDizz1.jpg

fzOEiF0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

KBS seemed to be sorry for the BIG mess they've made with DDSSLLS, they're releasing stills again hahaha How do we demand an extended two-hour episode or a season 2? The more I think about it, the more I want a proper send off for Rara and Jun. They did not deserve what the writer did to them. :shocked:  I wonder what happened to the writer? was she replaced? pressured? on crack? abducted by evil makjang execs? How does Episodes 15-16 make sense in any universe?! Did the pd think that the audience will like such a route? did the actors question what happened to the characters they did so brilliantly portray from episodes 1-12? I want answers. I saw a comment on twitter that the writer must have been brokenhearted while writing episodes 13-16 because she was determined to ruin Jun and Rara's love! hahaha Because really, it was so absurd and unbelievable, plot wise, character wise or even just plain simple logical thinking.

Usually after a drama ends, the actors, pd, and writer would have a round of interviews regarding their drama, I hope someone would interview the writer and ask her, "what the freak were you thinking when you wrote episodes 13-16?!" Knetizens in naver were all "WHAT JUST HAPPENED THERE?!" hahaha I just want to see how she'll explain her end, please drama gods, hear me!

I'm just thankful that people were all saying good things about LJW and GAR, that they did such a good job despite the poor writing in the later episodes. Many are saying that they should get an acting and couple awards at the KBS Drama year-end awards because really they carried the show despite its absurdities and stupid plot developments. We can't even hate Jun fully because he was played by LJW with such earnestness and sincerity that whatever Jun did like Rara we don't have the heart to scold him fully.

I DEMAND A SEASON 2, whose with me? :cry:

Edited by Unnie0110
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thank you sooooo much @stroppyse for the translations, I will sub since I still love the actors and it's only the cute scenes in the BTS with actors, not the characters. And Thank you and @Tofu for the adorable Mimi pictures. 

Thanks everyone for putting up with my multiple posts today!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was trying to remember the last K-drama that hurt me so bad I spent an entire weekend processing my anger. Funnily enough, it wasn't a K-drama that came to mind, but an American show....The last burn that made me this angry was the ending to How I Met You Mother and it was for almost the exact same reasons: Stupid twists that no one cared about since things would have ended perfectly without the shock factors, killing off the OTP using disease and then the writers pulling a joke (like this story actually leads to how I met your stepmother, rather than mother). I wasn't even that invested in the show (would only randomly watch), but the ending was really hurtful and the show received hate comments for the following year, at least on FB.

48 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I would like to think that Jun and Haraboji met before Haraboji passed away because that is such a huge pity if they did not because they share a beautiful friendship there.

Regardless of the ending, I hope everyone still feel that you've enjoyed the process/journey of watching. And yes, agreed that Mimi is the best out of the drama too. I even got used to seeing Byeol's fashion wardrobe. :laugh:

I've put the Jun and Haraboji meeting into my mental re-write of the ending :laugh: 

I still love the drama from Eps 1-12. I've decided to ignore the ending and make peace with the parts I like now that I've processed my grief. Technically it's a happy ending, so I've just mentally re-written how we got to the happy ending. And I agree Byeol's fashion was one of my favourite things. I wrote something about Mimi on a netflix post about Mimi's fashions and Byeol's owner liked it :) Hahaha I felt famous :BulbaOWO::hearties: 

UUdantZ.jpg

• Like 6

Hello, I stumbled on this forum looking for more discussion on dodosol. Even now I cannot let go of this show. 

I absolutely adored it to pieces. It was written so well. Even the twist with his age didn't upset me. I just though ah, that must be why they didn't have RaRa move in to LalaLand. :heiboi:

After watching the last few episodes, I just feel so sad and disappointed. A beautiful story that was ruined by such an ending. I fell in love with the show mostly because of Go Ara and Lee Jae-wook's performance. Their chemistry was really something else. I hadn't watched kdrama in such a long time (even CLOY bored me after the first 2 episodes). Then I saw the first episode posted on netflix, and I could not stop thinking about it since that day. I normally don't watch BTS and promotion videos, but I tried to follow every single one including fan cams. They really seem like more than friends! I felt a similar vibe from the main leads when I was watching DOTS.

This is my feeling watching the last 5 minutes. I was happy that RaRaJun are together but upset about how we got there.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, CINNABOM said:

Hello, I stumbled on this forum looking for more discussion on dodosol. Even now I cannot let go of this show. 

I absolutely adored it to pieces. It was written so well. Even the twist with his age didn't upset me. I just though ah, that must be why they didn't have RaRa move in to LalaLand. :heiboi:

After watching the last few episodes, I just feel so sad and disappointed. A beautiful story that was ruined by such an ending. I fell in love with the show mostly because of Go Ara and Lee Jae-wook's performance. Their chemistry was really something else. I hadn't watched kdrama in such a long time (even CLOY bored me after the first 2 episodes). Then I saw the first episode posted on netflix, and I could not stop thinking about it since that day. I normally don't watch BTS and promotion videos, but I tried to follow every single one including fan cams. They really seem like more than friends! I felt a similar vibe from the main leads when I was watching DOTS.

This is my feeling watching the last 5 minutes. I was happy that RaRaJun are together but upset about how we got there.

@CINNABOM Hello! Welcome to the thread...Yes, we all totally feel the same way. It's just devastating! I agree - I was so in love with everything, the writing, the aesthetics and the music, the food, the people and Mimi!! The age thing never upset me too, though it was a weird reveal at first...but one that drove the plot along...

The last few episodes literally drove everything off a cliff. I could literally kill the writers for their decisions :KittyGun:Yeah, there's been so much talk about how many different ways this could have been written and still made sense and end with twists. It's so sad that they ruin something so beautiful :letalQQ:...but if you read a few pages back, it might give you comfort to see some other people here have written some beautiful alternate endings, which I'm going to pretend just happened! I agree...I was happy they were together, but angry about the route there. It's like if your uber driver took you on an unnecessarily long and dangerous route and charged x10 the price to get to a place you knew you were going to get to :laugh: 

I think watching the BTS videos and looking at Go Ara's Instagrams with Lee Jae Wook have helped a lot. I'll be subbing the last video tomorrow if you need some happier closure! :hearties:

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Unnie0110 said:

Knetizens in naver were all "WHAT JUST HAPPENED THERE?!" hahaha I just want to see how she'll explain her end, please drama gods, hear me!

I DEMAND A SEASON 2, whose with me? 

Do you have a link to the article with netizen reaction? I’m curious to see what korean netizens thought about that ending. 

ah! I wish they would do a season 2 or even a 1 hour to extension to tie up/explain everything, but Sadly I think that’s super rare.

@CINNABOM welcome to the thread! Yes despite the ending, I did love the rest of the drama so I’m thankful for this gem. I’ve been a korean drama watcher for a long long time now, and I only rarely become active on threads for a very rare few of them. So there was something about this drama that captured my heart. 

@JenL totally understand Wanting to stay away from the other dramas this writer has written!!!  I’m watching start up too! Just looked up someday or one day and i don’t think it’s available on Netflix in America??? Not popping up for me. I’ll look up both recommendations though, thank you!

@Unnie0110 after your post on watching the call, I went and watched it lol. Man, freaked me out so much. Did you end up finishing it? I need someone to discuss that ending with. Haha

• Like 6

@CINNABOM Welcome to the thread.

Awww, here here. All of us feel the same so you will find comfort here. Usually if there's a less than satisfactory ending in a drama I watch, I tend to think whether I've enjoyed the journey I took to get to the end and whether I love the characters etc. And if I do, then I will focus on those (like @JenL is doing).

@JenL Is Someday / One Day on Netflix? I can't find it.

@Mapleoaks5 I watched The Call too. Finished in one seating. Putting spoiler in spoiler.

Spoiler

Didn't thrill me as much as I had hoped. In the end it was just kill kill kill.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 5
15 minutes ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

@JenL totally understand Wanting to stay away from the other dramas this writer has written!!!  I’m watching start up too! Just looked up someday or one day and i don’t think it’s available on Netflix in America??? Not popping up for me. I’ll look up both recommendations though, thank you!

Just now, mademoiselle said:

@JenL Is Someday / One Day on Netflix? I can't find it.

Nah, Someday or One Day is on Viki: https://www.viki.com/tv/36775c-some-day-or-one-day

It's not on Netflix except in Korea. I think mainly because the rights are owned by Fox/Disney.

The other drama which reminds me of DDSSLLS in terms of warm, community type feels is Yong Jiu Grocery Store, also on Viki:

https://www.viki.com/tv/36674c-yong-jiu-grocery-store

Hopefully both are not region locked!

Just dropping some more happy pics of GA and LJW. These have been so soothing...I loved how much Go Ara posted on her own socials. One of the rare gems who shared so many goodies as Korean actors, in my experience, tend to be more reserved in their socials.

3uI4HZ8.jpg

hI76EQO.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1