The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

The ending scene is SOOOO GOOD. Are you watching this yet @Chocolate I really think you'll like the ending scene.

2 hours ago, czakhareina said:

Then grabbed her at her throat/neck

7-9.gif

A 50 shades of grey musisc score can probably be edited for this sequence

credit https://yeowoobyul2.tistory.com/108

Oooooh, I like that neck grab. So dominant 😍  You’ve just given me incentive!

• Haha 5

I am watching it with subs, and like @ktcjdrama I wonder if we're watching a melo or not ..cause the initial scenes were hilarious. Him not focusing in class and thinking all sorts of ahem lustful thoughts. This is a young man in his early 20s (?) ...can't blame him  :LaxEat:. And then the part the court ladies were roasting chestnuts and talking about the type of men they like. He called it vulgar but yet let's it pass since it was Deok Im who was there & he just so wanted to hear who she liked. 

But my favorite scene was this ...when he talked about his father. Opening up his deepest emotional wounds and just telling her because he felt she would understand him. It is not easy for him to say it to anyone given the taboo it was to talk about the mad Prince Sado.  I also loved that he viewed his father in a positive light. I can imagine the inner conflict that San grew up with.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

12 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Oooooh, I like that neck grab. So dominant 😍  You’ve just given me incentive!

Hahahaha I knew you'll like it! Not only the neck grabbing was good, the line delivery by Lee Jun Ho was awesome in that scene.

@abs-oluteM Hahahahaha see, Choco likes the domineering gesture! :eeeee:

BTW, I started watching his old drama "Rain or Shine" coz it is now available on NF but his character there is not doing it for me (no like the bird nest hair). However THIS one, I think not only us here is in love with his portrayals but South Korea is praising him every week.

Y'all, I love him in the below light blue hanbok. So pretty! :love:

FFe0HOwVcAEZgyp?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Oh yeah, one of you mentioned before Deok Im rejected San trice. She rejected his tangerine confession in this episode that means we have two more times, right?

• Heart Eyes 4

@abs-oluteM @ktcjdrama

the initial episodes was really something I did not expect, I really started this thinking we are gonna have either he melodrama saguek or the old style saguek. But episode 2 really blew me away with the comedic scenes especially the one where DI was falling and San just literally shove her back to a stack of books. that was epic and iconic... 

The splashes of angst and melodrama have been littered from episode 1-7 but too few to really take root..

But I think as we hit the half way mark, they will probably switch it up or some kind, to increase the ante and tensions. I think the angst and melo will probably be more prominent now. and if they do this, I just hope that they would still give us some scenes of laughter and liveliness... and also some hot and palpable moments between the leads...

Young man in his early 20s.. hahaha

and with raging hormones... but isn't she also the one with the raging hormones. Like she literally had to fan herself as she thought of his abs and chest. I can't blame her,, cause he did looks too hot to handle. But just saying our heroine is not as innocent as the usual candy girl. and I like that of her. 

Spoiler

FFvhvBraUAMJigG?format=jpg&name=largeFFvhvSxaMAAC8SG?format=jpg&name=largeFFvhvi4aIAIb_Z4?format=jpg&name=largeFFvhvxTaMAcTjD0?format=jpg&name=large

then there were drip, drip, breath breath...

that scene was so good... hahaha

“The Red Sleeve” Ratings Break Into Double Digits As “Happiness” Hits New All-Time High

Both MBC’s “The Red Sleeve” and tvN’s “Happiness” soared to new heights last night!

On December 3, “The Red Sleeve” successfully remained first place in its time slot as it broke into the double digits with an average nationwide rating of 10.7 percent, marking its highest viewership ratings to date. Notably, the figure is nearly double the average nationwide rating achieved by the drama’s premiere just three weeks ago (5.7 percent).

Over on cable, “Happiness” also climbed to its highest ratings yet with its latest episode, which scored a nationwide average of 3.7 percent.

Finally, SBS’s “Now We Are Breaking Up,” which airs in the same time slot as “The Red Sleeve,” earned an average nationwide rating of 6.4 percent for the night.

Congratulations to the casts and crews of “The Red Sleeve” and “Happiness”!

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1502065wpp/the-red-sleeve-ratings-break-into-double-digits-as-happiness-hits-new-all-time-high

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Here is junho making a comment about the neck grabbing library scene:

Spoiler

Spoiler

@mademoiselle

I love the different hanboks  he has been donning in this drama. he looks so good in them. 

img.gif

Spoiler

img.gif

Maybe when the drama ends, he and Seyoung can do a photoshoot of modernized hanbooks. I think they would looks so regal in them....

the case of the disappearing tangerine/mandarin..

and in which case he admitted to have eaten everything, along with the peel/cover/rind....

hahaha this boy is such a fool in love

img.gif

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

“The Red Sleeve” Shares Sneak Peek Of Lee Se Young About To Receive A Grave Punishment

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 4, 2021 |by L. Kim

Will 2PM’s Lee Junho come to Lee Se Young’s rescue in MBC’s “The Red Sleeve”?

“The Red Sleeve” is a historical drama about the imperial romance between crown prince Yi San (played by Lee Junho), who later becomes emperor, and the strong-willed court lady Seong Deok Im (played by Lee Se Young).

SPOILER

Spoiler

On the previous episode of the drama, Yi San confessed his love to Seong Deok Im. However, she refused to accept his feelings because she wanted to stay as a court lady rather than become his concubine. Yi San’s heart broke even more when he assumed Seong Deok Im and her biological brother Seong Shik (Yang Byung Yeol) were lovers. As a result, viewers are paying keen attention to what direction their romance will take.

Newly released stills capture Seong Deok Im on her knees at the the queen’s quarters. Seong Deok Im’s eyes are full of desperation and urgency, but Queen Jeongsun (Jang Hee Jin) remains coldly silent. Furthermore, Yi an appears at the quarters. He stands politely before the queen, but his expression is stony as he says something. How will Yi San’s appearance affect Seong Deok Im’s fate?

the-red-sleeve-4.jpgthe-red-sleeve-31.jpgthe-red-sleeve-12.jpgthe-red-sleeve-21.jpg

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1502087wpp/the-red-sleeve-shares-sneak-peek-of-lee-se-young-about-to-receive-a-grave-punishment

Episode 7 Making/Behind story

English Sub

• Like 3

Do you all think Deok Ro had a hand in this latest punishment that Deok Im is going to get? He instigated the court ladies to keep the books that were supposed to be burned and he keeps taunting Deok Im - pretending to be all polite but we know he is so threatened by her. It didn't help that during the secret meeting, San rejected his advice to get the physician's help without hearing his logic or reasoning. He knows his position as San's closest aide is shaky. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Guys I have just started to watch this drama..... I did not even any of the leads earlier.... Lee Se Young ... i remembered her from Hwayugi and Jun Ho from 2PM... that is it...

Just wanted to see why the A listers are failing to draw crowd whereas these actors are drawling attention.... just wanted to say that korean audience are maturing.... this is a year where a listers did not grab much eyeballs rather a lot of good actors are emerging gradually...

The story and execution deserves an applause and I am hooked seriously...

• Like 1
  • Party! 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

Spoiler recaps for eps 8 (part 1)

After seeing Deok-im rejecting him  and meeting her brother, Lee San  misunderstood . Lee San who was sitting in the library quietly suppressing his anger, asked, “Did you come to find me?” when Deok-im came .

In response to Deok-im’s answer, “No,” Lee San couldn’t suppress his anger and got up abruptly. Lee San grabbed Deok-im's neck and said, "Your everything is mine."

Lee San said, “Only at my command, one can die or live,” said Lee San, firmly telling Deok-Im. “Never forget that ,” said Lee San and left.

Deok-im trembled at the terrifying sight of Lee San, whom she had never seen before. Lee San also had a dark face like never before.

Meanwhile, the Head Guard (Oh Dae-hwan) was looking for Lee-san and saw Hong Deok-ro (Kang Hoon) talking to Eui-ui. The left wing committee said, “Is the person you just of significance? There was no command from the Lee San to recruit him !” he asked Hong Deok-ro.

However, Hong Deok-ro casually said, "I'm thinking of taking that person with me to this Dongduk meeting. See you then." ( Deok Ro is quite brazen!)

At the words of Hong Deok-ro, “Whether or not you forgive me or not, I have brought this person ” Lee san looked uncomfortably to Hong Deok-ro, who had brought this man. He very surprised to find out from this man  that the royal physicians were prescribing a dementia-related medicine for King Yeong-jo (Lee Deok-hwa).

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Waaaah I haven't finished watching episode 7 but I finally made a good guess on how Deok Im will be saved

Spoiler

King Yeongjo was shown to have signs of short term memory loss (second time in episode 7) and longer sleeping time. I encountered that in my personal experience. The drama will touch on whether long term memory loss is a symptom for him, or not. This is such a good touch on the detail btw

In my experience, long term memory loss so far is not one of the early symptoms.

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 2

Eps 9 spoilers Part 2 

Jo had secretly called Deok-Im to see her. She said, "I originally planned to wait longer, but I have a bad feeling, if I don't hurry, I may miss the time." She said, "I always trust my senses, we have to watch the decline of Lee San to ensure he will not become like Crown Prince Sado. You have to know that history will not repeat itself."

Then, holding Deok-im's hand, she said, "Can't you, as one of us, come forward and be a concubine  for our court ladies to protect the 700 court ladies I lead?". 

However, Seong Deok-im refused, saying, "There is no need for a plan, you just have to believe in that the Lee San will not turn out like his father." Deok Im rejects offer to be concubine again. 

Jo wasn't happy .  In order to scare Deok Im, orders a search of Deok-im's room, and Young-bin's keepsake book is found. This was the book the King had given her when she was at San's grandmother's funeral. 

She was accused of stealing the book and was  on the verge of being beheaded.

Deok-im was in danger of being sentenced to death because of the law is that 'whoever steals royal property is punished by beheading'. Then, Lee San listened to the stories of other court ladies and went to Chugukjang. Deok-im had to face  by the Queen (Jang Hee-jin), and she couldn't believe Deok-im's words that she received Yeong-bin's book directly from Yeong-jo.

Lee San also said, "It is hard to believe Soson," and said it was difficult to fulfill Seong Deok-im's earnest request to ask Yeongjo just one question, saying, "The Lord is a witness to me."

He also asked, "Since Deok Im has made a contribution in the Donggung Palace, please lighten her guilt and send her to exile."

However, Queen  granted Deok-im's request and had them meet Yeong-jo check the facts directly. But Yeongjo was annoyed, saying, "I don't remember you, so everyone should go away." He said, "Yes, she may have given the book. It must have been a very special day for a clumsy kid. "

In the end, Lee san plead with the King . Lee San said, "If the court lady is released from prison after receiving a short-term sentence, it is as good as death. Your Majesty always taught me that  the king of Joseon holds the right to dictate from life or death for all the people in the land of Joseon, the people belong to the heavens . You said that if you do not value the lives of the people, you do not have the right to become a monarch. "

In the end, Deok-im told him  the stories of the past. Yeongjo, who recalled the past, said, ""Do you know why I gave you Youngbin's book, or don't you remember?" He said, "You want to become a court lady who can write well That's why I gave you Youngbin's book. Youngbin wrote really well, but it's worth giving the book to you."

So basically the King forgave her and she was saved. San did great here

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Eps 9 spoilers Part 3 

King Yeongjo called Hong Deok-ro and Kang Tae-ho to the palace separately. Yeongjo indirectly informed the people of Lee-san that he was about to step down, and Hong Deokro guessed that the time had finally come.

After that, the political forces of the palace began to move urgently. Court Lady Jo,  ran a private organization with court ladies, and taught the court ladies, "You must never trust the king. Remember that we must trust ourselves by any means and methods." In addition, Sang-gung Manu abducted Court Lady Seo (played by Jang Hye-jin), the teacher of Seong Deok-im, and forced her to join them and torture Court Lady Park

In this process, the secret of Court Lady Jo was revealed. While being tortured, Court Lady Park Sang-gung said, "Aren't you the one who made the Crown Prince go crazy? You broke the relationship between them? Didn't you plan all the things that happened in the five years? Your Majesty must have promised you that he will make you his wife. But His Majesty, as soon as he ascended to the throne, he chose Youngbin. Youngbin, your best friend, was truly amazing. Didn't he get revenge in the end? He killed the High King Joo Sang and Youngbin's children."  Court Lady Jo  was angry at Park Sang-gung's remarks, but let her survive.

-------------------------------------

Seong Deok-im thanked Lee San, whom she met by chance, for his help  In response, Lee San said, "Didn't you meet a  child on the day Youngbin passed away?" Seong Deok-im honestly shared her memories of that day, and Lee San asked, "Do you remember the child's name?" Lee San said, "The child's name is San.  " He said, "My name is San," and hugged Seong-deok-im. The two recognized each other, saying, "It was you" and "It was me."

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

FINALLY am sitting down to focus on my dramas.  Busy day.

Court Lady Jo——- psycho!!!! The scenes reminded me of  the cult Handmade Maiden.  Is everyone willing to join this group? Or by force? Court Lady Seo reluctantly signed the scroll.  

the old court lady mentioned the former CP went insane because of Lady Jo.  How.? What did she do?  Poison ?  Am intrigued on this plot. There is so many players in the court,  but the people at the top are unaware.

It was beautiful to see the embrace of San and Deok Im.  It will be interesting to see how both attitudes change toward each other.  

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

When they showed the secret Fairies organisation, I couldn't help but question if the drama is deviating from the original history to give it a dramatic effect by introducing these scenes. Was there really a secret group at this calibre back in that time and if Court Lady Jo was indeed jealous of Yeongbin and was the reason Sado went crazy? I mean, Sado's story is controversial as is, adding Court Lady Jo into this controversial story blurs it even more because now it makes it look like it was a personal vengeance. I thought the production team promised this drama would stay as close as possible to historical records... if they exaggerate too much, Knetz will be displeased. 

Other than that, I enjoyed the scene where Deok Im recited Yeongbin's funeral day to Yeongjo. It even made me teary eyed. I really really like the production quality of this drama.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

19 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I love the last scene above. Watched it a few times raw because it meant so much that he finally found her. 

The  BTS is just as heart fluttery

Yay. they finally meet again.. and know each other again...

And this will just add to how much of a fool in love our young crown prince will be. 

also just wanna say CP manhandling DI was bad for my mental state :BulbaConfused:

As modern girl, I was like. "Stop San, No means No,"

But a part of me was like, "But Gawd, that looked hot."

Then I contradict my self again, "San, this might give people he wrong idea. Please don't"

Then I realize, "But technically he is right, he does own her, to do with whatever he pleases"

Coming back around to, "But if you love someone, you can't force them like that"

Rounding out to, "it is so wrong, but it looks so right, more please"

The crazy with ironies and contradiction. So yup, mental breakdown.

as if the bathtub scene was enough, they induce more of an S&M scene for us to ponder about....

8 hours ago, Mizv said:

Court Lady Jo——- psycho!!!! The scenes reminded me of  the cult Handmade Maiden.  Is everyone willing to join this group? Or by force? Court Lady Seo reluctantly signed the scroll.  

It is her greed and her ambition. In so many ways, her and Deokro are so alike. but I do wish in some ways this to fight it out. they both have their own agendas and they are at opposite sides in the fight.

8 hours ago, Mizv said:

the old court lady mentioned the former CP went insane because of Lady Jo.  How.? What did she do?  Poison ?  Am intrigued on this plot. There is so many players in the court,  but the people at the top are unaware.

8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

When they showed the secret Fairies organisation, I couldn't help but question if the drama is deviating from the original history to give it a dramatic effect by introducing these scenes. Was there really a secret group at this calibre back in that time and if Court Lady Jo was indeed jealous of Yeongbin and was the reason Sado went crazy? I mean, Sado's story is controversial as is, adding Court Lady Jo into this controversial story blurs it even more because now it makes it look like it was a personal vengeance. I thought the production team promised this drama would stay as close as possible to historical records... if they exaggerate too much, Knetz will be displeased. 

About this organization, that is crazy.

and it feels weird to have it in TRS when the production team was adamant and reassuring audience that they will follow history. I do think that there was hidden cliques in the court lady org, but I think it is more of like how it was in Jewel in the palace, where families becomes heads of he court ladies and they have this certain of hold on information and have alliance to certain ministers and their family. but  here it is like a full blown cult organization with martial artistry..? really weird, i do hope the team can support that... 

Does anyone know if this part of the novel?

The prince Sado issue has been immortalized and told difference ways with some making him seem like it was all conspired.

but I think the memoirs of  Lady Hyegyeong put a stop to the notion that prince Sado was just framed.

I think she wrote that even early in their marriage there were already signs of his mental issue.

I do agree that There definitely is a lot of scheming against him, but mental health was definitely compromised. I dont know they would go around that. So the scheming might have kead to his death abd punishment but his crazy manic episodes was very much chronicled well. 

Anyway,  it is weird to have Court Lady Jo as a Big Bad than the ministers, it really thought it would be the queen...

but I guess if you cast Park Jiyoung in a role, you cant just sideline her as a henchman for old geezers'. 

I can just see history zealots going up jn arms about thus. 

Anyway i just want to highlight one scene that would probably go unnoticed. And it this. 

Princess Hwahwan vs Hyebin Hong/ Lady Hyegyeong.

That was some awesome smackdown by Hyebin Hong. And that is without throwing punches...!!!

It was awesome and Kang Malgeum was just brilliant in that scene... like for real...

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

I'm gonna camp at theqoo for a while, but I heard the local viewers were not welcoming of that cultish group led by Head Court Lady Jo. And some were not happy about the possibility that the drama will paint the late Crown Prince Sado's cause of death in a different light.

Some goodies I wanna share:

Another translation of Jeongjo's final words for Deok Im

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

@czakhareina This is my take on the neck grab. I know there was plenty of ruffled feathers about this on twitter. 

As modern viewers , who have been given plenty of romanticized ideas of the perfect prince, I too was uncomfortable initially. But while watching this I had to remind myself that my viewing lens needs adjustment here given the context of the show , and the history it was based on. Considering the times they live in, his status as the CP - his chauvinist ways are not surprising. The production team actually has watered things down. For one,  his relationship with the harem are not shown ( I remember the uproar on the C drama , The Sword & The Brocade when some viewers could not take that Wallace Chung had so many wives :laugh:) . And though he is difficult and demanding, every episode we see a change in him;  exceptions he gives to Deok Im are unheard of in those times.  And a brave outspoken FL in Deok Im  is already the compromise the drama is trying to make with history so that a new generation of viewers will not be put off as much. 

Whether we like it or not,  women 200 over years ago were objectified and their fates do lie in the men around them be it their father, brother or the master they serve. San is the Crown Prince and has been brought up to see that the women here are his and at his disposal. I thought that scene was rather important because for the first time he comes face to face with someone who dares stand up to him ( especially given her gender & status) ; he is thus bewildered and angered. But yet he cannot dismiss the feelings for her. The conflict within him is great and thus expressed out that way, as wrong as it may be. But in eps 8 seeing how he pleaded with the King for her innocence, he actually truly values her life.

@mademoiselle @suhodorable quite intrigued with the Court Ladies "Fairy cult"  that Lady Jo is heading. No wonder the other court lady who went with Deok Im to the market was able to kill the men so skillfully  (in eps 7 ). There's some sort of liberty for sure taken with history here but it fits the narrative of the show especially when here the drama is told from the perspective of the red sleeves / court ladies. 
But of course knetz will not be happy with the possible distortion. 

• Like 3