Start-Up 스타트업 [2020]

Jane

FUN BET : Who will Dalmi end up with ?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Dalmi will end up with? Now think carefully as this is a bet. Winners can use a profile picture of their OTP. But LOSERS will have to use the face of DoSan's cousin , Nam Cheon Ho

• Do San
    • Ji Pyeong
    • No one
    • It doesn't matter to me ( specially for Mademoiselle :P)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2020 at 11:09 AM

Eps 10 had some interesting turns. But I think it was somewhat hinted at   since they brought  Alex into the picture - he has had his sights set on Samsan or more like on DoSan since the CODA competition . I personally think it is not a bad idea for DoSan to have some experience working for Alex's company. While Do San is brilliant , he lacks real world experience and confidence. He needs these 3 years for him to find himself.  But I still think that DoSan has not gotten the point though - it is romantic that he is motivated by his love for DalMi to take on Alex's offer. He didn't want JiPyeong to be the plan B. I understand &  I liked that spark of ambition ignited .He wanted to be the hero here , which is fine but I had wanted him to do it for himself. To be fair I know people are all motivated by different things to push for success. Just that I had wanted DoSan to accept it because he saw how this will a stepping stone and launching pad for his own career. Anyhow , as we're expecting a time jump , I am anticipating more growth in his arc.

Dal Mi's reactions were fair and consistent with her personality. She was mad & rightly so, but more than that she was confused. I liked that there was no open confrontation with halmoni, because that is such an Asian thing to do -to not question your elders openly. She needed time to process , and she knows why grandma had done this but yet she was feeling betrayed. I can understand her somewhat cold shoulder treatment but she was still the good granddaughter putting up all bumpers for her safety.  There was no break-up with Do San immediately but she asked for a time-out . I have to say that Dal Mi despite her chip on the shoulder is a character that I like  . She's got a tenacity to her in spite of feeling lacking. [I gotta say , Suzy up her acting game on this drama.]

The one arc that I would like to see a bit more developed is between the sisters. The sisters are both in a similar situation - both having a lot to prove. We're slowly seeing the icy wall crack between them . While on the surface , In Jae seems cold and competitive , I do think she's very capable. The loyalty of her former staff to follow her over to this start-up speaks a lot of the person she is. The protest against her company is completely misdirected. Businesses like these are merely solutions provider - it is meant to make lives better. Unfortunately automation has its downside of making redundant human labour. But given the world we live in now, how can we not embrace such changes. I know now it seems that In Jae's character may get a bit more hate because she had taken Dal Mi's story , but I have faith that there will be a twist to this. In some ways , In Jae does love Dal Mi. She took Dal Mi to see her step dad when the latter begged her too . And even now , these supposed nasty remarks she makes to DalMi  feels like tough love - her way of sparking a fire within Dal Mi to not give up.

Finally my best boy Ji Pyeong, the character I care most about in this show. I was surprised at how quickly the confession came about. But it was done in such a nonchalant business like manner which in hindsight was appropriate given the state-of-mind that Dal Mi was in. There was no pressure on his part , no expectations.  He had just wanted to be completely honest and for once be vunerable . This is a small victory for me in terms of his growth arc since it was something I had hoped for in my previous posts. 

The reason why I root for DM to like JP is NOT  because DoSan is not good enough for her. JP understands her mind set completely perhaps having had the advantage of communicating with her over the years. He seems to get her mental & emotional state , and when he helps her , he doesn't try & shelter her - he asks the hard questions & forces her to push herself.  This brings the best out of her and helps her grow.  Perhaps it is because I am older now & having been married for so long that I see how important that is in a long-term romantic partnership .

---------------------------------------

Someone pointed this interesting thing about the posters...only Do San's one does not have Sandbox logo, which confirms that he will go work for Alex

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM oh wow yes to look at the char posters. YEAHHHHH. Dosan is actually managed to his point becuse his talent omg he just need some believers, and it implies how actually society will not find the diamond IS A diamond because their mind isn't reach there yet in his country. And Jipyeong harshness towards Dosan is like a sample of society. He nailed in the country because he is going through greatly & genius about how the country is going. I like these samplers of writer-nim offers to watchers.

@ryanallright whats on your mind to tell this lacking? Me too struggling now because I feel it is too focused on romance but this is what excites me these weeks. Is this love? Am I in love? Lolols

• Like 7

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

@bairama Do San just needs to have the two shadows cast on his life removed in order to truly sparkle like a diamond :wow2:. First was that win in the Maths Olympiad. It was not something he could convincingly believe was his. Finally revealing the truth of what happened to his dad, has set him free. His abilities and brilliance should not be defined by these contests. Secondly is trying to be  Dalmi's idea of Do San, the one in the letters . He could have stopped on several occasions but he feared losing Dal Mi, so it has come to what it is .  So now with the latest revelations , he can start afresh. No need to take someone else's story and pretend it is his - he said this to the sisters. I liked that scene a lot as that is growth.

K nets comments here are very interesting regarding eps 9. You can see a truly divided viewership not just internationally but domestically as well: https://netizenkore.blogspot.com/2020/11/naver-tv-start-up-episode-9-comments.html

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Oh by the way , this was also another interesting revelation. I was half expecting Shin Jae Ha to cameo as the boy looking for revenge ( SJH has been on this writer's past work as well - Page Turner and While You Were Sleeping)

This will spell further change the dynamics between Samsan & JP's mentorship. Is this the reason why JP seems under the weather in the preview? Devastated that what he said pushed someone to kill himself?

Em35WLuVgAYzmqC?format=jpg&name=large

By the way , I was so thrilled to see Lee Bo Young's  cameo . Cracked up about her advice to pray to one's ancestors to solve all problems . I have enjoyed a lot of LBY's shows and I remember that she  was on this writer's first drama that I watched - I  Can Hear Your Voice.  And that epilogue with drunk JiPyeong was the cutest

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Was talking to my hubs about the story progress thus far and made him watch the “important” scenes from episode 9 (where Jipyeong gets angry at Halmeoni and Dalmi finds him at the birdhouse with his letter). Hubby has an interesting insight - he reckons Jipyeong is the chosen one. “It’s just how this writer’s story arc always goes. In the end, the girl always chooses, and she will simply choose who she wants. There’s nothing right or wrong. The other guy never does anything wrong to not be chosen. He just isn’t, and that’s that. Dalmi wants “Dosan” and that’s Jipyeong. Actual Dosan never stood a chance.” Like how Beomjo never stood a chance against Dalpo, and Wootak against Jaechan. 

Hmm...

Are there other hints that Jipyeong might be the one?

When Dalmi chose Jipyeong to be their mentor, it was because he was “family”. Dalmi also notes, Dosan was really a stranger after all. And Halmeoni may like Dosan, but she loves Jipyeong. Plus - I think while Dosan may want to go to Silicon Valley in order to win Dalmi, Dalmi really isn’t anyone’s trophy. I think he’s gonna go, spend 3 years there, come back to strengthen Samson Tech. And he would also leave knowing Dalmi would be with Jipyeong, and the 3 years would be a time of healing. 

Whaddya think? 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
5 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Are there other hints that Jipyeong might be the one?

The only thing I can think off right now is the childhood connection. In all the previous dramas, the OTP have always somehow met or are linked in their growing up years.

By the way ,  this is an interesting write-up for those who like JP:

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/start-ep-10-why-kim-seon-hos-han-ji-pyeong-not-nam-joo-hyuks-nam-do-san-shouldve-been-flag-bearer-574758

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

Was talking to my hubs about the story progress thus far and made him watch the “important” scenes from episode 9 (where Jipyeong gets angry at Halmeoni and Dalmi finds him at the birdhouse with his letter). Hubby has an interesting insight - he reckons Jipyeong is the chosen one. “It’s just how this writer’s story arc always goes. In the end, the girl always chooses, and she will simply choose who she wants. There’s nothing right or wrong. The other guy never does anything wrong to not be chosen. He just isn’t, and that’s that. Dalmi wants “Dosan” and that’s Jipyeong. Actual Dosan never stood a chance.” Like how Beomjo never stood a chance against Dalpo, and Wootak against Jaechan. 

Finally, someone's said it!

I really tried to resign myself to accept that DS is the one. But episode 10 and the preview is not helping. I think we should not focus so much on who is the lead actor, the promotional materials etc to assume. If we just look at the story, it seems pretty clear DS is not the one. I can't say JP-DM will end up together but an open ending is still more likely than DS-DM - I imagine 3 of them standing at a junction 3 years later and the credits rolling lol!

@abs-oluteM

I noticed you mentioned on discord that "I am sympathetic to DoSan but for me he’s got some growing up to do. He’s still not striving to succeed for himself. He is pushing himself because his goal is DalMi’s happiness."

I have another view of this. Yes, he wants DM to be happy, but his main goal seems to be to keep DM for himself.

1. In episode 9, he said he had nothing and thus deserved to have DM. This is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. The self-less leading men always give up their love so that they can have a better life with someone who will be good for them.
  2. He agreed to Alex's offer because he did not want DM to take JP's Plan B. Telling DM about the backup Plan B would have helped her feel less pressure and hopefully do better for the Demo Day presentation - he knew and he did not tell her. That was selfish.
  3. I think there was one other point but need to re-watch to remember.

Although there were bits where DS's character did well eg when he stood up to In-Jae, there were more scenes where JP did better for DM and also as a person. So at episode 10, the writer is still focusing on this arc. The big question is why? Plus the revenge is again on JP - why is he the second lead? His character is a lot more juicy than DS's character.

I am not a KSH fan. Just following the story. I think romantically, it will be open ending because a JP-DM ending would irk all the NJH fans and he is afterall the designated main lead. But DM-Injae-mother-grandma will reunite and that's the happy ending for this drama. The drama started with the break-up of the family. It will end with the reunification of the same family, with the father's sandbox in the background. (Hehe can't believe I just wrote something so corny.)

P.S. Episode 10 was one of the slowest episodes for me. All that tearing over the lie/relationship irritated me. Looking forward to Demo Day!

@ktcjdrama I imagine Lee Bo Young to be one of those con-woman fake priestess - she is trying to get them to engage her services LOL.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 3
  • Clapping Hands 2
5 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I have another view of this. Yes, he wants DM to be happy, but his main goal seems to be to keep DM for himself.

You made some very good points.  Has given me a lot of food for thought.  Perhaps that is why romantically I’m pulled towards JP.  He is helping her with no expectations of being repaid so to speak . He just wanted her to do well for her sake . :pandasadspoon:.  
This writer is really trolling me for the 1st time . 

———

New OST . This drama has more OST then it has episodes. Lol!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Episode 10

I enjoy the feels in this episode albeit it was in the expense of Dal Mi & Do San. But...but... it also means their acting really conveyed the right emotions to the viewers. So that's a positive. Heh.

In regard to Ji Pyeong's confession, I am partial about it. Neither glad he did it nor think he shouldn't. There's that part of me that think he rightfully deserves to let his feelings be known. The other half of me thinks this only burden the opposite party and made things more awkward. And it is clearly a lie that he isn't expecting anything from Dal Mi. When someone confess and make their feelings known, there's always an expectation (as seen in the epilogue). One thing I am glad though is that the truth is out.

I am also going back & forth with my feelings towards In Jae, although I don't hate her. I do think she's being a tad too bitchy to her little sister. I would think separation and distance make relationship fonder albeit she's been jealous of Dal Mi. I'm interested to see what lessons she'll learn at the end of this drama. She's a redeemable character. In comparison, the sisters' Mum is a lot more worst AND shameless. Ugh, gosh, I prayed hard Halmoni wouldn't take her in but I knew she would. Sigh. She is the girls' mothers after all and Halmoni is getting old. :pandasad:

I really really love that twist in the elevator. Damn the cliffhanger and Oof, the tension was awesome with Yong San's tears and anger. I wonder what this revelation would do to or change Ji Pyeong. After all, he had been pretty arrogant and ruthless with his remarks except towards Dal Mi. We've seen Park Hye Ryun cover the topics of "lies" and "words can kill" before in Pinocchio and she's reminding us again via Start-Up.

With this revelation, I am also a bit concerned of Yong San. I forgot which episode it was but it was the Samsan boys talking about always making a back-up and I started to be suspicious of Yong San when the camera zoomed in on him diligently doing back ups (or making copies to be exact?). The Samsan Tech team's bromance is awesome, I therefore really hope writer doesn't break that bond.

Since we're on bromance, it hurts to see Do San and Ji Pyeong being like this. :jiminbtssigh: Can't they just love each other and be real bros?

Good eye on the timeline @abs-oluteM! I look forward to a time jump then. Alex only wanted Do San though, but it seems to me Do San wants to bring his whole team over (?) or he wants to strike a deal with Alex that he sponsors Samsan Tech in exchange for himself...? And what would the 4 years mean to Ji Pyeong and his success? Will Yong San's brother incident cause him to step down from CEO and start-over or...? It's interesting (at the mo') I can't tell what's in store next from Park Hye Ryun. With her previous dramas, the stories are always much clearer but this time it's completely different because there's no murderers, real physical dangers etc.

Ahhhh Lee Bo Young. She looks so pretty in there! It was delightful to see her cameo, given the IHYV team is close to Park Hye Ryun until now (IHYV team often meet up since 2013). There had to be more reflectors given to her to look so flawless, right? LOL. And yeah, I don't understand the joke about the ancestor bit too.

Last but not least, I was looking forward to the Demo Day too! The loveline is important, but I want a good balance of the business start-up bit and everything else. They should rename it to Demo Day Part 1 for the title, hahahaha!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Yong San made me think of the Voice Assistant Yong Shil. Is there a connection? Because up until now we still don’t know who the creator is, and JP has this love-hate relationship with Yong Shil. 

As for who the OTP is, whether DM-DS or DM-JP, I only go by the kdrama rule that those who kissed are the OTP 😅 so yeah, I think it’s going to be DM-DS. I love JP, and the actor KSH, but I’m okay this time with little SLS attack, haha...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Man, the start up fandom is savage! Both in the love triangle and in how fast spoilers get shared if you don't watch the episodes fast enough - I feel like it comes out at a weird time for me, so I'm always at the risk of spoilers! 

Episode 10

- Ah, the most satisfying part of this week's story was the reveal of the 'stalker'/ 'revenge person' which turned out to be Yong-San. I was definitely not expecting that! But I did guess there was something weird about Yong-san a few episodes earlier due to the subtle foreshadowing when they talked about people staying back late as being suspicious. It was a fairly innocent voice-over scene, but I've watched enough K-dramas/ K-movies to know that just coz they're a happy looking character...doesn't mean they can't suddenly turn into a baddie or what not :KittyGun: :lettalKWA: Obviously he doesn't murder JP due to previews, but I feel like it's going to be another load of hurt and guilt on JP as a person...wow, he is really getting all the second lead burdens!

-A lot of this episode was dedicated to the love triangle angst, which was expected. I really liked the way both JP and DS were portrayed in the reveal. I think it's clear that JP can come across as arrogant because of his tough-exterior-guarded-pickly behaviour, but he was fair to DS and DM when the truth came out. He could have left DS as the bad guy and tried his moves then, but he told the truth as he knew it and defended DS's character and his love for DM even though he admitted that he doesn't like DS. That's something that's pretty hard to do, so I really liked that about him :heart: 

-I felt touched at how tortured he felt about making her sad. And checking up on her through Halmoni....But mostly, I'm glad  he found the courage to seek her out and tell her what needed to be said. I'm also really glad he confessed to DM, even if he will get turned down. It's worse and way more frustrating when the second lead never tells the female lead. At least JP did it in a way that was cool and collected and it's DM's loss if she doesn't want him. :CharmanderYay:

-I also liked how empathetic and sorry DS was. It was so heartbreaking to see him grapple with hurting someone he really loved. I felt so bad for him when he was trying to explain to DM because his words were so genuine, but she was not taking them in due to anger. I don't think he should have kept pretending to be that DS, but it's obvious that he really really wanted to be in life - it felt like an opportunity that he had to grab. :PiplupCry: I was pretty impressed with NJH's acting - his crying scenes looked believable. 

-For me, DM is the one that confuses me in the love triangle situation, or who I find it not as easy to sympathise with. I do feel bad that everyone lied to her and I understand the anger and upset over that. It would be really horrible to feel like a fool while everyone else was in on the know. Also you'd feel babied and it would undermine a lot of your beliefs. :mad: But I found it kind of weird that she wasn't more clued in about the whole thing in the first places - Surely if they wrote letters that she cared about so much (to reject men for 15 years over), so would have talked about the content of those letters with DS a lot and realised something was off. But even if we forget that plot hole for a moment, I felt her reaction to avoid everything rather than to face it head on was not consistent with her character which is always up for challenging things - like she didn't even really want to know more about the letters, she didn't ask her grandma or JP (JP had to find her) about the details. Also, hadn't she been trying to bluff and lie to her mother and sister about being successful (which is why she wanted to find DS in the first place?) ...it felt a bit hypocritical of her to be so mad about it in some ways. :pandadisgusted:

-Haha, but maybe everyone's a bit of a hypocrite in this series because you see DS's dad trying to hide things from his son too. I'm really glad DS found the courage to talk to his father and tell him to stop putting pressure on him:pandahappy:  I think it wasn't just the Asian parent mentality or his intelligence...it was the burden of being an only child! And a son too! He would get doted on, but also pressured. But I'm glad there was no real argument - it was refreshing that he told his father calmly and plainly, when he had the upper hand, that he couldn't uphold all their expectations anymore and his father seemed to understand.

-I don't care for Alex, but I really like that he keeps playing the MONNEEEYYYYY clip while riding his segway. Just keeping it real, I guess :laugh::laugh::laugh:

-Hahaha, I enjoyed the 'ancestor' con-woman scenes. DS arguing with her on her superstitious mumbo-jumbo reminds me of sooo many of my male friends (Particularly those more logically minded) arguing with sales people, religious converters and con-people XD I felt that it was good of DS to hear that even someone like DM could lose confidence - it not only meant he could help DM...it also helped him to understand that he wasn't alone in his self doubts - even really confident people can lose their spark every now and then  :1000: Also the epilogue with JP was cute - poorly lonely JP, hanging out with the ancestor lady!!

-Halmoni is officially my favourite female character btw. I loved how she stuck up for her useless ex-daughter in law with her sass. :BulbaOWO::hearties:

-Finally, DS was such a gun when he stuck up for DM against her sister!! I really really liked that scene because DS was confident then when he was protecting the person he loved. And ironically, he was confident precisely because he had experienced the same lack of confience as IJ, so could read IJ inside out. And his words cut straight through her facade and hit her at the core of all her flaws. I think pretending to be the sandbox girl was the lowest thing IJ did - it was ok not to have picked to live with her father, but she also insulted him and looked down on him...and then to use his memory as a stepping stone for her ambitions was pretty disgusting :pandarage2: But Yes, I'm glad DS stood up for her!! 

-Last point, it looks like their start up won't last if DS leaves, and YS is the revenge person?? It seems like a time jump is going to be happening soon.

Edited by JenL
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 11/15/2020 at 2:50 AM, Alice Wonderland said:

Ah.. I really don't like triangle. It spoilled the fun of a romance part.

Hahaha love triangles are pretty cliche, especially ones where both leads are pretty decent. I hate that Twilight 'team' culture of rooting for 'team DS' or 'team JP'....why is this terrible marketing ploy necessary?! :pandarage2: 

On 11/15/2020 at 2:50 AM, Alice Wonderland said:

seripusly, I feel that JP is quite annoying come to this recent episodes. Like DS said he makes people confused from going as grey as he is. Not that bad not that good either. Plus his arrogance is too much. That is so annoying of all! Lol. I think when haelmoni calls him as good boy, it was suggested as he could act that way. It was like his brake when he starts to go on wrong direction. But at least he is good as their mentor. His straightforward and strong criticism are teaching our young start-ups pretty well.

To be honest, I'm the opposite - like JP's arrogance because it's a defence mechanism and he gives him flaws as a character :BulbaOWO: If he was a rich, good looking guy and he was kind and easy going, after being an orphan, I would think he was a really unrealistic character (too much of a 'prince charming' or 'gary stu') and that he was really boring. But I would also be confused why DM wouldn't notice him. :pandascared:  I thought he could be pretty mean to DS, which was poor behaviour, but I also liked to see him showing less than perfect emotions so up-front because that's how he covered his insecurities and feelings of being threatened. Giving JP his prickly exterior helped to humanise him more and give him depth, I feel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

On 11/15/2020 at 4:50 AM, bairama said:

"Everyone makes mistakes. But not everyone takes responsibility. Only the brave can do that."

Jipyeong back to get the letter for grandma is.. Proof that two of them are just good boys. He would suck up what he really wants for grandma. This brotherhood to be (I'm praying hard!) I'm loudly crying for my NamPyeong feels. They both deserves great things as a man, as my heart is breaking for three of them.

Great quote! And it definitely applies in this series :CharmanderYay: The title itself was not only about starting up a company but also about building one's life the way they want it to be and starting fresh. And I think a big part of that is forgiving and learning from the past - DS needs to let go of his self doubts and gain some confidence and be honest with himself, DM needs to let go of those letters which acting as a comfort blanket and stand on her own two feet and JP needs to stop building walls and burning bridges with people. :heart:

That scene!! Oh it killed me. Like it really killed me when JP decided to sacrifice his feelings and drive there to go get the letter. It wasn't fair for JP. But then again it also wasn't fair on anyone else either to be tangled in such a situation either. 

:PiplupCry:

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I think it is about time that Do San believes in himself - he needed to look at the 90% that he is capable of instead of the 10% that did not originate from him . I think that would likely apply to the romance. The letters which I see as the 10% ( that did no originate from him) have defined this relationship far too long. I do think that Dal Mi can see Do San's sincerity. From previews,  he wants her to forget that 10% and look at the 90% - the real him. And I think she is going to? I am not sure if I agree that a person should be your goal in life , because people will disappoint. DoSan still needs a personal goal career wise , something that does not have the shadow of his parents' expectations cast on it. 

@abs-oluteM This was such a great write up!! I really agreed with all the things you said especially this part. The maths competition and his relationship with DM were similar in that he always focused on that part he didn't do. He always felt incomplete and a fraud. But he's been stepping up these last few episodes after some self reflection and I'm impressed by his character. :heart:

I also don't agree with a person being a 'goal' in your life. That's setting yourself up for some major disappointment to be honest. But if he takes Alex's offer, I'd say he does have other goals he's working towards.

On 11/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Do I sound like I am resigned to the fact that JP may not end up with Dal Mi? Perhaps , as I don't want to be too disappointed since I enjoy the show very much. But I am gonna cry for JP when that comes to past. I was already hurting so bad for him last night when grandma wanted him to give up his feelings.  While I can understand grandma's love for Dal Mi and why she wouldn't want Dal Mi to find out the truth, I am disappointed with the request that she made of JP. This was the very 1st time that JP has been true & honest to his emotions , and he gets shot down like that.  I know that JP keeps saying he has a  debt to repay - one which cannot be measured with money. But as far as I'm concerned he and grandma are now even . He's done as much giving Dal Mi that emotional support over the years & going to this extent to keep the secret.

I'm very neutral about DM, but I want JP to be happy. I'm not sure how they're going to hand happiness on a plate to him if he doesn't include DM, but I hope he does feel happier at the end. I would even be ok even if they introduced an open ending with a new female to be honest. That scene in Episode 9 was so. so. painful. And I agree, even though Halmoni technically said she doesn't want the debt repaid, JP did repay it with his emotional sacrifice, with the time and effort it's taken to mentor DM and protect Samsan Tech :1000:

On 11/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, mademoiselle said:

Dal Mi is the victim in all these lies. However I know she will (very) soon see / understand it was done out of love. I'm more interested to see how this change the dynamic between her and Ji Pyeong. I don't think it would affect her feelings for Do San as much, not sure why, maybe because I know Do San is the male lead... hahaha... so the brain/mind can't be bother thinking further regarding this.

Ji Pyeong - Now that the truth is out I really REALLY wish Dal Mi and Halmoni can embrace him into the family. This guy seriously needs to stop acting tough because his tough act keeps putting a distance between him and Halmoni when what he really needs is family, someone to love him...I want him to stop acting like strangers and openly bicker with Dal Mi and Halmoni. I want this to happen now before Halmoni's eyes worsen. Also it would be nice that Do San finds out Ji Pyeong is an orphan so he would understand Ji Pyeong may have the materialistic things, he is lacking in others that Do San had (doesn't he already know? Surely the press would have reported about Ji Pyeong's background).

Thanks @mademoiselle for wet JP gifs!  :wow::wow2::hearties:

Yes, totally agree in that it's not going to change her feelings for DS. My reading is that even though she didn't think about it, she had started to get to know and like the real DS too (away from her ideals of him as the letter writer) because he could be sweet like when he protected her from her step dad. Also, he's someone more relatable and on her tier - someone who wanted to start a business and needed a fresh start. JP started off as her mentor - some already successful person. She's going to feel like there's a gap that can't be closed. And she always knew him professionally unlike DS who she feels she met casually first.

But yes, I want JP to be in their family!! He thinks it's romantic love he's after, but to be honest, he just needs real human connection of any kind. :PiplupCry: And agreed DS needs to see that JP is someone who also has insecurities and things lacking in his life. Loneliness is a real problem too. 

On 11/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, Alice Wonderland said:

And these two beautiful couple... I find it pretty cool to date a boyfriend majoring in engineering. He tells you science and it sounds cool.

Hahaha I know too many engineers and it gets annoying after awhile trust me  :smile: But cool fact if you love science: If you pour sugar into concrete, it doesn't set. This is how you can ruin a fresh pavement :pandaevil: As told to me by an engineer!

On 11/15/2020 at 10:45 PM, Chocolate said:

But I don't like how DM seemed so surprise. That is not realistic considering she was already suspecting after comparing the handwriting and just didn't have the courage to ask DS point-blank. This could have been written much better.

Yeppp, agree! I feel like her character is not as consistent as it could me. But maybe it was denial - she just wanted to believe in something? But yeah, the shock was a little meh considering she was always suspicious.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:18 AM, gilaswan said:

This is the first time I’m so invested in the second lead, yet I’m not so sure there’s actually a main and a second lead in this show. I’d like to believe too @abs-oluteM, that the writer is changing her style a bit here as far as the romance department is concerned. In all her other stories, the second leads were always very likeable characters, but the girl was always clear right from the start who it was she would pick. Her attention and focus was clear. This time however, Dalmi’s choice doesn’t seem quite so crystal. And both Dosan and Jipyeong are likeable - I’m still rooting for Jipyeong but I can’t help but also feel sorry for Dosan if he doesn’t get the girl in the end. Or maybe that would be left ambiguous for us at the end of the show.  

I like JP more because I'm just weak to that tortured side-sided love thing, but I honestly feel like DM is more keen for DS. He has been more there for her (as far as she's aware) than JP. She knows JP has done some things for her, and maybe there's tension...but I feel like she's only really focused on DS. At first it's going to be because she thought he was the letter writer...but then she's going to realise she liked a lot of things about him (for himself) as well, I think :MewHi:

23 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

The idea of a sandbox was to soften the landing of the fall but it doesn’t prevent you from falling . It is meant to give you some courage to ride the swing . There are two possible outcomes of riding the swing  1) enjoy the thrill  or 2) fall & hurt your knees . From a young child’s perspective, falling off a swing could be traumatic, and become his greatest fear . But never taking the risk , meant missing out on the joys of playing on a swing . The ultimate message of this show isn’t really about the sandbox is it ?  The sandbox merely gives you courage to step out of your comfort zone , take a risk & face your fears . 

So true! I think this is interesting in relation to Yong San's brother though. There's still the risk of failure and start up people need to be resilient or it can really hurt them, Sandbox being there or not. :letalQQ:

22 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am even guessing could he be that guy Do San gave his medal to? When he first heard Do San’s name in the US, he seems to have known it and was recalling/associating the name with something in his memory. 

Hey that's a great theory!! I mean this show does seem to keep tying the past with the present :SquirtleSquadCool:

22 hours ago, im0202 said:

I’ve managed to watch up to the latest episode just now. That’s 10 episodes in 2 days. Phewww! Enjoyed going back and reading everyone’s posts too! 
Are we divided in terms of lovelines or does everyone have SLS here :laugh:
But overall, my favourite duo be Halmeoni and Ji-pyeong :pandapray: (pls let halmeoni be happy)

Wowww amazing catching up @im0202!! I'm impressed. I definitely have SLS, but more that I care for him as a character by himself. I don't care either way for the romance - she could end up with either guy as DS is just as good. But I want JP to be happy is all :heart: My favourite is also JP and Halmoni...more than any of the romances. Both for the care factor and the SASSSing :laugh:

Kim SeonHo joked that in episode 7, the scenes they were filming was him and DS fighting over Halmoni rather than DM!

guDzInZ.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yong San made me think of the Voice Assistant Yong Shil. Is there a connection? Because up until now we still don’t know who the creator is, and JP has this love-hate relationship with Yong Shil. 

Ohh.. It can be? But what I remember is Yongshil is kinda new start up offer too that they currently in waiting line of pick it up or not, somewhere in early episodes, 1-4? 

But for the Yongsil's brother case, exactly as many voiced about that, we still don't know why the family think in that way. Jipyeong harsh character towards amateurs are not just a flaw, but he is like a reality checker. Life builds him. Like I stated before he is like a sample of society. He just knows really too well how harsh business society in the country it is and he did breaktrough all of it by scan it and use it well so he can handle on his own with his investment genius trait. 

Is this even make sense.. Sometimes I feel embarrasment in my writings but I hope readers got my point..:laugh:

===

@ssteph hi & high five!!! Can I call you readers chingu here? Cause we are the same type of thread consumers? LOL.

===

And ohh me too!! Count me in for missing Jipyeong and grandma bickering they are so good together.:pandasadspoon: Grandma is having best grandsons all of time, two of them, Jipyeong and Dosan.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

7 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Was talking to my hubs about the story progress thus far and made him watch the “important” scenes from episode 9 (where Jipyeong gets angry at Halmeoni and Dalmi finds him at the birdhouse with his letter). Hubby has an interesting insight - he reckons Jipyeong is the chosen one. “It’s just how this writer’s story arc always goes. In the end, the girl always chooses, and she will simply choose who she wants. There’s nothing right or wrong. The other guy never does anything wrong to not be chosen. He just isn’t, and that’s that. Dalmi wants “Dosan” and that’s Jipyeong.

Same concept, but I'm thinking in reverse to you. As much as I like JP (And I really do!), I feel DS is the chosen one precisely because that's always who she thought she knew. And even now it's who she's getting to know. Whereas JP is someone who she didn't think she knew. But now that she knows he's the letter writer, I think she has to reconcile what she knows of the current him to the letters. And it's always harder that way because those letters had a name and then (from the networking party) a face which was DS's identity. And I feel JP is in the disadvantage because it's easier to learn about someone from scratch than it is to reconcile a past faceless identity with a current one. 

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

As for who the OTP is, whether DM-DS or DM-JP, I only go by the kdrama rule that those who kissed are the OTP 😅 so yeah, I think it’s going to be DM-DS. I love JP, and the actor KSH, but I’m okay this time with little SLS attack, haha...

I agree with this. That's the true test! :MewGiggle:

6 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I am not a KSH fan. Just following the story. I think romantically, it will be open ending because a JP-DM ending would irk all the NJH fans and he is afterall the designated main lead.

I think many dramas do put the second lead through a painful chase (and heavier air time in the first half of the drama) with no reward of the girl, so JP's character isn't new or original in that sense. It's quite normal if he doesn't end up with the girl - but he'll get something else. An enlightenment of some sort :laugh:I feel since NJH has been cast as the main lead, has done the kiss scene and is also a decent character, so it's likely to come out as either a DS-DM or an open ending (but an opening ending leaning towards DS). The only reason I think it could be open ending is because it's a bittersweet work drama. And often these work dramas are about ambitions and dream and goals....so separating from your romantic partner to achieve them is a big part of that genre. But if this writer is known for happy endings, then it will probably be DS-DM.

Hahaha ok this concludes my crazy number of Start Up posts. This is such a good drama to discuss and analyse human behaviour. This and my #1 addiction, DDSSLLS :laugh: 

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

47 minutes ago, bairama said:

@ssteph hi & high five!!! Can I call you readers chingu here? Cause we are the same type of thread consumers? LOL.

Yes. I am silent reader here and other threads too 😂

---

Young Sil name reminded me of scientist (and engineer too) Jang Young Sil from Joseon Dynasty.

Start-Up is the first drama I watch Nam Joo Hyuk, Kim Seon Ho and Kang Han Na. It seems like I can't move on easily from their characters especially Ji Pyeong.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 4
1 hour ago, JenL said:

Hahaha love triangles are pretty cliche, especially ones where both leads are pretty decent. I hate that Twilight 'team' culture of rooting for 'team DS' or 'team JP'....why is this terrible marketing ploy necessary?! :pandarage2:

Oh again... I hear you loud here. Hahaha. I hate it too! Well.. let it be. 

2 hours ago, JenL said:

To be honest, I'm the opposite - like JP's arrogance because it's a defence mechanism and he gives him flaws as a character :BulbaOWO: If he was a rich, good looking guy and he was kind and easy going, after being an orphan, I would think he was a really unrealistic character (too much of a 'prince charming' or 'gary stu') and that he was really boring. But I would also be confused why DM wouldn't notice him. :pandascared:  I thought he could be pretty mean to DS, which was poor behaviour, but I also liked to see him showing less than perfect emotions so up-front because that's how he covered his insecurities and feelings of being threatened. Giving JP his prickly exterior helped to humanise him more and give him depth, I feel.

I see, I just don't like how he keep discouraging them by telling they're bad and will fail. I mean it's good to motivate them but somehow it feels annoying as he does it often. Giving criticism is good but keep discouraging without giving them chance to prove their effort are too arrogant. And being mean doesn't make people around him understand. I mean people easily misunderstand his messages. I feel bad for him as well as he keep all inside and pretending he is fine and doesn't care. But even so, I like him when he does his job right or when he's alone showing his true feelings. He is not that bad after all. It's pretty much the same how the opposite thing happened to DS. When he is always seen as perfect good boy then it turned he also comes with flaws. I feel a bit disappointed at him too but at least he finally admit it and tells his parents. It took 15 years for him to finally get out from this lie. 

1 hour ago, JenL said:

Hahaha I know too many engineers and it gets annoying after awhile trust me  :smile: But cool fact if you love science: If you pour sugar into concrete, it doesn't set. This is how you can ruin a fresh pavement :pandaevil: As told to me by an engineer!

Ah.. I see. Well maybe it's in drama or becuz it's NJH saying those lines. But I find it pretty cool when DS said so. Like how he turned down the girl who match people with blood type thing, the galaxies, the ancestors theory and what else i forgot to mention... Well like how he explains about Tarzan and Jane. These all sounds fun and thinking them are the facts are just adding more knowledge for me. Haha. I am not that into science actually cuz it is heavy stuffs but when it delivered in simpler explanation and fun way like this. I think it becomes much easier to understand.

Well,this drama becomes more and more interesting. Looking forward for next episodes. 

36 minutes ago, ssteph said:

Young Sil name reminded me of scientist (and engineer too) Jang Young Sil from Joseon Dynasty.

Start-Up is the first drama I watch Nam Joo Hyuk, Kim Seon Ho and Kang Han Na. It seems like I can't move on easily from their characters especially Ji Pyeong.

Since you mentioned him, I remember what I'd like to write again here. Hahaha

YS voice reminds me of Kim Min Jae, if you ask me why, I don't know...the voice automatically reminds me of his voice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
9 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

YS voice reminds me of Kim Min Jae, if you ask me why, I don't know...the voice automatically reminds me of his voice. 

Hahaha... been watching too much Brahms? 

Anyway, do you know it’s actually the voice of Yeo Jin Gu?

O and never mind my earlier thought about the connection with Yong San. Because full name of that’s AI Assistant is Jang Young Shil, vs. Kim Yong San. So should be no connection. I just wonder why that staff of JP seems to push for the product so much. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love