One & Only, Forever and Ever / 一生一世美人骨 l 周生如故 [2021]

9 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

should i start watching as well? lols......i love how he has women in the troops too

Yes, you should! I had other stuff these past two nights, but I'm going to start it tonight myself and I can't wait!  

8 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

i know we should expect bad ending for this one still it does hurt a little to see bad ending no matter how prepare we are....lols

It is admittedly a lot less painful in the book because the whole story takes place in the present, so by the time the book starts, we already know their past ended tragically and then the author takes us into the past to show us what actually happened.  Since the drama adaptation has teased out the past and compartmentalized it into its own drama, it will hurt more since we don't have the simultaneous story in the present to offset it.  But we should take heart in knowing that it's their past that informs their actions in the present, and that a happy ending for Shi Yi and Zhousheng Chen are just around the corner -- hopefully iQiyi won't make us wait more than a week for "Forever and Ever." 

• Like 5

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

7 hours ago, Yana said:

@NiteWalker @Tofu @SnT how is it so far? now its only 8eps aired? 

I've only watched up to the first half of episode 6. So far, it's good. The storyline is still getting set up -- both Zhousheng Chen and Shiyi have met and spend time together now. The crown prince has also been introduced (he's technically the second male lead in the historical part). The next set up is the rebellion which is when the angst come. :letalQQ:

This week, they aired 10 episodes. I wonder if they will fast track this drama next week? They've done that for iQIYI's Sweet On series, but I don't think One and Only was advertise as part of that (Forever and Ever is). 

• Like 3

@Yana @Tofu yeah 17 will be about right and he is a good 14 years older than her about 30. which makes sense. so when she arrive at his manor she is about 13 turning 14 since she was about to celebrate her birthday as in ep 1 where started with her waiting for the news of victory and court sending her birthday gift. and before he left first time he gave her a birthday gift of the stamps of all defeated generals and ep 5 is about her celebrating birthday again.

I have only finished up to ep 5. and i noticed that everyone treated her princess. from zsc to the disciples. the 3rd disciple xie yun obviously dotes on her and the two ladies general as well, the eldest disciple also gives in to her all the time. ZSC words was very telling of him doting on her...when she pour away the expensive tea, he was like  u like tea, i will buy u tea. but u cannot waste them. punishment : copy tea names hahaha....talk about so much of punishment.

And I think it started to change for zsc from ep 4 and 5 onwards. first after 19 months away he turned around and saw her grown into a young lady. and ep 5 he was stunned at how pretty she was smiling in the kitchen. to me both instances esp 5 has him to feel somehow differently about her. and he obviously started asking his soldiers about if they have wives and children.

Prior episodes i just get the gist that he dotes on her like an uncle. and all the brothers and sisters disciples too, because their environment is so manly, full of harshness, toughness, roughness even for the lady generals - army camps, battlefields, blood, killing etc. the whole nancheng manor is like a tough shell. they come and go freely wo leaving behind any care. obviously she brought softness to them and to the manor. Bailu did such a good job of being a gentle lady. even i can feel her tenderness and gentleness. so ladylike yet so unspoilt and all of they started to feel the feeling of someone waiting for you at  home, so stay alive. its like home, hope, haven for them  come back to.

When ZSC stands together w shiyi in the drama...i keep having this thoughts...zsc, she is your perfert wangfei. why u go make that swearing about not having wife and kids...aikkkkksssssssss

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, SnT said:

When ZSC stands together w shiyi in the drama...i keep having this thoughts...zsc, she is your perfert wangfei. why u go make that swearing about not having wife and kids...aikkkkksssssssss

I know! Why make such promises?! :laugh:

The counselor said that when he leaves, he never looks back. 

If you don't look back, you don't expect to return. You have no attachments. This way, you don't fear death. 

Having a wife and kids means he'll have attachments. I think the last thing he wants is for them to be sad if he doesn't return or something happening to them because of him.

Will comment on the rest later but wanted to comment on that one first because I feel the same way. Haha! 

• Like 3

The drama giving me similar vibe to The Journey of Flower, Hu Qian Gu and her teacher forbidden relationship. But I think Zhousheng Chen have more interest to her student, compare to Bai Zi Hua at the beginning. He send her to the mansion personally, giving her key to library, giving her birthday gift (useful? :laugh:, enemy list lols). 

I'm also not sure why the uncle send her as pupil to ZSC, felt like it's more suitable if he become the young king's teacher, as he's a boy and also his nephew! Like @Alice Wonderlandsaid it's stirring for love problem unnecessary :smug:

I'm just up to ep 4, but already can see how forbidden this ship are. Not only with the student - teacher relationship, but also on breaking the oath he already swore. SY was taught that teacher also as respectable as father. She lost her father quite early, I guess she might also looking for father figure in him unconsciously.

@40somethingahjumma@IpohBanana Any plan to pick this up? Recommended ! 

• Haha 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@SilverMoonTea i think maybe i can try explaining why her uncle send her to zsc as pupil. It is all a political move. Even though zsc already double swear loyalty to the new emperor (him bow to n acknowledge the nephew as emperor plus his oath to never hv wife n offspring) they still want insurance. They kinda explain in ep1. 

Shiyi at that point was suppose to marry that the crown prince which has turned emperor. Both are still kids, marriage will only happen later n she is technically future empress. That is the pinaccle of cui family power. shiyi uncle just help the young prince to the throne n at that point when her uncle suggested the pupilage thingy he really thought his niece will become a new empress soon. so not only they want the oath from zsc, they want to tie him further w the soon to be empress. Shiyi purpose was to hv a good tie to the most powerful guy in the country at that point who is holding a 700k army. Imagine emperor's uncle was also teacher to empress. In case emperor step on his uncle zsc's tail they still hv the soft power of empress have over her teacher to sooth things out.  Pretty much an alliance in some way.  Her uncle also want to eliminate rumours that cui family has anmosity w nancheng side. 

But it was later rest of official n empress dowager play out the uncle by forcing shiyi to remain crown princess to the newly appointed crown prince. The sly ppl... Imagine both emperor n crown prince is about sane age. This supposedly crown prince has almost zero chance to take the throne. By the time both grew up, emperor if live to ripe old age that crown prince will be too old to take the throne. N somemore emperor will likely hv his own offspring. Basically it is to curb the cui family from being too powerful. Shiyi is a forever crown princess. A pawn in the game of throne.

Edited by SnT
  • Insightful 3

@SnT In episode 8 or 9, Zhousheng Chen commented that he's less than ten years older than Shiyi so I'm assuming that he's in his mid-20s. I didn't care too much about the age difference in the novel, but in some ways, I'm glad they made her a bit older in the drama. 

By the way, I can't remember if it was mentioned in the drama but in the novel, the Crown Prince has always been sick (hence the coughing). Growing up, if he liked something, that thing would disappear shortly after. He learned then to not desire anything. It wasn't until the portrait of Shiyi that he started to yearn for something or someone again. His engagement to her was like a gift, something he has never been given. Now that the engagement is off, the Crown Prince will try to get back what he believe is his and turn evil. Shiyi, unfortunately, will continue to be the pawn in these political games. 

:heart:

OAO-04v3-smaller.gif

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Sad 1

Episode 1 and 2 was really good. These actor's and actresses did a great job. As always everyone is ahead of me. Will try to catch up and read everyone's  comment once I catch up. 

I noticed historical drama's always start with the change of ruler or scheming to form  a connection with the royal family. 

• Like 4

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

@SilverMoonTea hhmm... to be frank I would but a bit later when more episodes are released. I will be there to support Bai Lu. I know there are many fans of Allen Ren, I think he's ok but I won't watch specifically for him (I must admit I am dying to see him as a merman in BW, heh heh heh, just for the heck of it). For this drama, the story-line of a past and present does intrigue me, and I would wanna find out if in the modern portion, she does retain all her memories like in the novel - now that would be fun to watch.

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
16 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

She lost her father quite early, I guess she might also looking for father figure in him unconsciously.

Drama's quote "a daughter first love is her father, he was the perfect man she could see as a good example for her future life partner" 

She might think him as her father figure but unconsciously that feeling develops more than just a respect, she sees him as a man. And it goes the same to the shifu, he sees her unlike his other female diciples. 

16 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I'm also not sure why the uncle send her as pupil to ZSC, felt like it's more suitable if he become the young king's teacher, as he's a boy and also his nephew! Like @Alice Wonderlandsaid it's stirring for love problem unnecessary :smug:

I told u it's one of the tropes that writer actually could make it better. Like giving some intelligence scenes a bit to his teaching method, teach her riding a horse or train her to use sword, that is much cooler even it's just a set up. Then I could think that the uncle sent her to spy on him, the conflict is much interesting this way. 

If it's not for both actors, I would really ffd the scenes, lols. This is RJL anyway, so I watch. He has this ability to turn the cliche and cheesy lines becomes classy. If you know what I mean. 

Still in ep 6 here, got interrupted with RL things, so hope to resume it soon. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Haha 3
43 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I told u it's one of the tropes that writer actually could make it better. Like giving some intelligence scenes a bit to his teaching method, teach her riding a horse or train her to use sword, that is much cooler even it's just a set up. 

It's in a summary a class of " Love 101 ❤ " by Prince Nancheng :lmao2:

@SnTThanks for the explanation, that's making a great sense to me now. I guess her life is very important for Cui's clan, but how sad it is to have life predetermined for you, without any way out. It's also now clear to me why 2000 troops need to accompany her in Western side. She's only 1 girl, I thought the treatment was too pompous, but considering how much her value is to the clan survivability, then it's understandable. 

@IpohBananaIn historical portion, he scolded her for wasting expensive teas, and asked her to consider the life of poor commoners (she's pouring tea that she failed to brew into the plants), but later on he give teas as her birthday gift. In the modern part, teas seems continue to play important role in their love & life. Tbh, the trailer not so enticing, but once I go into the drama, it's actually beautifully done. I felt like watching a movie, I think the budget for this drama very huge. The audio quality, the details of the costume and the setting all done meticulously. 

• Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Tofu i took a glance at ep 6 the uncle is very ill and mum explained that they cant even let the news of uncle passing be known. cause uncle had made enemies while supporting the new emperor esp that eunuch and the general liu. so shiyi marriage to the royal family is the only surviving way for the cui clan now as the uncle is so ill and i noticed that she just nodded her head and agreed.

actually shiyi was betrothed by old emperor to the crown prince but they changed it to marry into the royal family. wish they just marry her to zsc who is also qualified as the royal family but that it is too powerful a combo. sigh. 

yes 2k troop to look after her. she is definitely their golden gal. Poor gal. she is the only gal in the family somemore. And i dont think anyone expect him to teach her anything. because they all know she is there to be another good solid link for western side with the central court. that is all. and he is pretty much away 90% of the time. 

Also great that drama makes the age gap smaller. which makes sense more. less unsettling definitely compared if he is like 30 and she is like 14 or something. hahaha....

Edited by SnT
  • Clapping Hands 2
4 hours ago, IpohBanana said:

@SilverMoonTea hhmm... to be frank I would but a bit later when more episodes are released. I will be there to support Bai Lu. I know there are many fans of Allen Ren, I think he's ok but I won't watch specifically for him (I must admit I am dying to see him as a merman in BW, heh heh heh, just for the heck of it). For this drama, the story-line of a past and present does intrigue me, and I would wanna find out if in the modern portion, she does retain all her memories like in the novel - now that would be fun to watch.

same here. i like bai lu. she is pretty and most of her role is not acting cute but quite smart and strong. TBH i am quite neutral about allen ren and his look and i never fangirl him. i mean i appreciate his performance and every drama he is in, i appreciate his stable and solid acting. But from this drama i actually start to think he is very good looking. his eyes can talk in a way. the way he carried zsc makes the character to multi dimension- very classy, stately and princely even and yet with shiyi, he is tender and a little lost about what to do with a gal who is actually gentle, softspoken and ladylike. And his interaction with his troop and disciples is that of a very smart and strict teacher who cares about them a lot and has some humour to him. i appreciate he did not try to do the stony face and icy general act, which will be so boring.

Edited by SnT
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
6 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@SilverMoonTea since it was pkayed as the ost in the drama, I could tell it's his voice. Sigh... why they dub him?? Whyyyy? 

The OST List

As It Is - Zhang Bichen 

As One - Ren Jia Lun 

I think they will make the title start with As..... So thoughtful & poetic. 

His voice just too pretty.... 

@SnTYes, Allen Ren has charm that hard to decipher. Start to noticed him from Under The Power. Miss Crow & Mr Lizard seal the deal for me. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

The OST List

As It Is - Zhang Bichen 

As One - Ren Jia Lun 

I think they will make the title start with As..... So thoughtful & poetic. 

His voice just too pretty.... 

@SnTYes, Allen Ren has charm that hard to decipher. Start to noticed him from Under The Power. Miss Crow & Mr Lizard seal the deal for me. 

yes the soong here is really a lot better than the one we hear previously *ahem*

• Haha 2