Hometown ChaChaCha 갯마을 차차차 [2021]

I've been replaying ep 7 two times already, is ep 8 out yet??

I think DS is making things complicated to himself later. He friendzoned HY instead of admitting his true feelings. SH is such a decent guy. Glad that writer didnt write him as that typical annoying second lead that barge in between the two. Well, for now he is that kind and funny sunbae. He is strong-willed and persistent. He even succeeded in persuading gam-ri haelmoni with all his sincerity. hDS will be in trouble. Lols

It looks like they will only reveal what happens to HDS near the end later. For now like usual they only tease us with some bits of previews here and there. But that's okay, I'm still patient. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

LOL @Chocolate, I was spoiled by the post so didn't quite got conned by it although I did get a bit confused of his reaction. That was nicely done. You know, even though it is just rice and water, the texture of the porridge can still be different (from experience, hahaha). I'm wondering if Hye Jin added sour cabbage or too much vinegar... but how is it that at first he said it was tasteless...? LOL. I had a pretty tasteless dinner. I thought I've put a lot of salt so I didn't bother to taste before plating but turns out it's still not enough.

===

In regard with the gossipy lady actress, anyone thinks that it is two different issue here about her daughter versus her gossipy behaviour? Showing empathy of her loss is fine but what the villagers did was spoiling her and allowing her to misbehave and continue to do something wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@ChocolateI definitely thought he was surprised by how good the porridge was.. until he said it tasted so bad! LOL

I'm guessing it's sour because she may have added lemon (or vinegar or something equivalent). 

I like they made Seong-Hyeon's personality just as endearing as Du Sik, so much so that you can't help but like him too. Of course I am rooting for Du Sik all the way but Seong-hyeon makes for an interesting 2nd Lead. And I love the bromance between them. 

Really loved the epilogue for ep 8! Gaaahh! I am curious what would have happened if Hye-Jin actually kissed Du Sik. 

As for Du Sik, he obviously likes her more than he thinks he does. The jealousy is adorable! I love that he's always aware of her presence/absence. How sweet of him to go looking for her when he noticed that she was missing from the shoot. The hug! 

I wonder who the pervert is...

And.. who do you guys think the lottery winner is???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

11 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Showing empathy of her loss is fine but what the villagers did was spoiling her and allowing her to misbehave and continue to do something wrong. 

I dont agree with this too. They didn't help her this way. She needs someone to correct her. But I'm glad at the end of the day, she learned her mistake and apologized to what she did. 

7 hours ago, Mouse said:

ChocolateI definitely thought he was surprised by how good the porridge was.. until he said it tasted so bad! LOL

I was conned by him too. Lols. I thought so as well. But I love how he puts it in a good sarcastic. Lols.

The episode preview shows DS introduced himself as someone's boyfriend and admit he likes someone a lot, does he really confess he likes HJ to her dad??? I can't wait!!

8 hours ago, Mouse said:

I wonder who the pervert is...

I bet he is someone from their village, probably someone already introduced here before or the last molester who escape fron prison? He is the one behinds all those ladies underwaear missing. 

8 hours ago, Mouse said:

I wonder as well, no one's life changed to be a rich one when the lottery won. I bet probably chief hong??? Lols. 

I'm curious as well!!! He even lets her to do so, aww..

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

I hope they don't turn Seong-hyeong into something ridiculously unbearable in the second half of this series because I find him really endearing right now. So endearing that I want to frame him and bottle his blood. Realistically I don't think Hye-jin's going to be swayed by him but I like that he is giving Du-sik a good run for his money. In all honesty, I have a number of issues with Du-sik but I'm not naive enough to think that he won't get the girl. It's rather obvious that they both like each other although the push and pull occasionally drives me up the wall. More often I feel like he's living with a kind of cognitive dissonance and he's sending mixed messages to Hye-jin who has clearly fallen for him. And I also feel that the show makes much ado about nothing with regards to his feelings for Hye-jin. In fact I would go so far as to say that it's gone on to the point where it isn't a good look. Does he genuinely not know how he feels? When he's trying to get between Hye-jin and Seong-hyeong, is that just unconscious jealousy rearing its head and he's acting out involuntarily?

I'm still watching because it's Kim Seon-ho and Shin Min-ah delivering on the chemistry front. It's a joy to watch Kim Seon-ho mesmerized and besotted. Sometimes there's a story thrown into the mix that works for me and it makes me much less grumpy about the rest of the show. I'm not sure if I'd really like living in Gongjin even after knowing all these people's stories. I still really struggle with the characterization of the villagers as a whole. Why does Yeong-guk have to be such a complete and utter deadbeat? He's so cartoony. What's with the way he talks?  I agree with some of the comments here about the gossipy Nam-suk. It was obvious that she had her story. Everyone has their story especially in a show like this. But trying to skimp on a dental procedure and spreading rumours about the integrity about a person's professional ethics, that's another thing entirely. It's actually dangerous and whatever her reasons are for being a complete mudslinger, someone needs to take her aside and explain the legal and ethical ramifications of libel/slander. However good her intentions may be. I find that the show often glosses over these sorts of problematic issues with a convenient feelgood resolution. Honestly, believe me, I try and shut my brain off when I'm watching this but it's hard not to notice these things.

The reality is that Hye-jin is a much better person than she gets credit for. The incident with the voice phishing scammer is an example of that. Her snobbery really does come from a rigidity about rules and playing the game properly. One of the advantages of having Seong-hyeong around is that he brings out another side to her. The friendly, happy side. I am grateful that he exists because he brings out the best in her without having to boss her around, nag her or entrap her. Because he knows her from way back and he's naturally a good-natured human being, he's not on the offensive. Du-sik pushes all her buttons and rubs her up the wrong way whereas Seong-hyeong remembers that she's hardworking, had a hard time balancing work and study, has a herniated disc due to an accident. She responds enthusiastically to his obvious thoughtfulness and kindness.  This is the side that Du-sik didn't see in her because his way of showing care and friendliness is about sarcasm, bossiness and being prickly. She's a simple straightforward person and this kind of approach doesn't work with her. She doesn't do subtext that well. It's good for Du-sik to see that how Seong-hyeong treats her makes her happy and happy enough that she wants to do good on her own account without someone trying to badger them into it. I like the fact that Seong-hyeong knows her and respects her agency which is what's been missing for so long. 

When I watched Hwa-jeong talking to Hye-jin and explaining everything, the thing that struck me was... why can't everyone else do this all the time? What's so hard about this? Is it just easier for people to live with the comfort of their prejudices without engagement?

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:15 PM, mademoiselle said:

In regard with the gossipy lady actress, anyone thinks that it is two different issue here about her daughter versus her gossipy behaviour? Showing empathy of her loss is fine but what the villagers did was spoiling her and allowing her to misbehave and continue to do something wrong. 

Frankly, Nam-sook's gossipy nature, and hers is an extreme, is her personality. With or without her daughter's death, she would have behaved in the same manner. So I don't think it can or should be used an excuse for her behaviour. But the writing of her character seems to have pushed her too far too - as a viewer, I felt no sympathy at all when her daughter was revealed. There's a good thread here:

On 9/21/2021 at 12:54 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

When I watched Hwa-jeong talking to Hye-jin and explaining everything, the thing that struck me was... why can't everyone else do this all the time? What's so hard about this? Is it just easier for people to live with the comfort of their prejudices without engagement?

Hwa-jeong has grown on me too. She's almost the best character in this village.

• A single mother, dedicated to her child.
  • I think she does still care for her ex and hope to reconcile, but she still carried herself with dignity in the face of her ex's interest in the teacher and his awful treatment of her.
  • She also took a firm step to stop non-essential interactions with the teacher - the way she explained it was clear and honest.
  • She's a village leader - she rented the space to Hye-jin to start the dental clinic as it was beneficial for the villagers, instead of using it for her restaurant. Now she's explaining things to smooth over misunderstandings between people.
  • Plus, she is also successful in her business/restaurant.

Conclusion... she deserves a better man! 😭

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

I feel bad because I'm actually loving this drama, but I haven't been involved in much drama chit chat. Though I've been exppressing my love of the drama through other ways like making fan art etc....but since I've been catching up on all my drama threads, I'm determined to catch up on my writings right now. I can do it!!! :wow2::wow2::wow2: 

Episodes 5

- Of course, out of all the people who has to spot HJ doing the walk of shame (even though it's not the real walk of shame), it has to be the most gossipy villager. I love how the whole small town was like dispatch :laugh: So fast, so efficient and so many eyes everywhere :MonkaTang: No privacy in a small town at all!

- I love how the friend is also included in the villager's group chats even though she hasn't been in Gongjin as long as HJ. I feel like I find her a bit more relatable... :heiboi:

- Wow so popular @Tofu you got a mention from Hong Du Sik himself :laugh:

GZRUjdN.png

- I love how noisy the villagers are. If it was real life I would be SO annoyed. But since it's the dramaworld, it was so amusing that they're trying to take photos of the 2 of them together and even spying through the door! But also a strong inability to sense chemistry between them...Bora's mum, the pregnant lady says she sense "fatherly love between them"...hahaha :laugh:

- Although I'm further along the drama now, I found it so shocking when HJ told DS they were incompatible because they were from different classes. I think HJ is such an interesting character - she's much very much this Type A personality who needs to be one up on others to feel secure, but at the same time I don't feel annoyed at her because they've also shown her much vulnerable and helpful side and balanced it pretty well. She acts snobby when she's insecure as a defence mechanism of course :idk:

- I was so happy when I saw baby Du Sik because he's played by Song Min Jae, the little kid who played Jae Min in DDSSSLLS. Did you notice too @stroppyse:heart:

- I really like the mysteries in this series. I like that you don't know what happened to DS - not even the villagers do, so we're always looking for clues and trying to piece together the missing 5 years...which makes us like the villagers... I also enjoy that there are 3 great mysteries in GongJin. I feel like the hook in this series for me are these things because I'm so curious too! I wonder if the 3 mysteries (or 2 of them) are linked? :thinking:

- The second lead is so charming (as they normally are)...and it's fun that the guys are quite similar as well. I think it breaks away from the more stereotypical idea that the female lead had to pick between 2 very different guys...it makes sense that HJ would like the same sort of nice personality, but that she will end up with DS between the time with SH has passed :idk:

- I also agree with DS rescuing SH's camera rather than his person. Cameras are important and will die in water. Also hilarious was when DS thought SH was some random Youtube Makbang guy. The jokes and dialogue are fun for this show :laugh::laugh::laugh:

- The divorced couple confuse me so much. So...I don't understand why such a cool woman would want to cling onto such a dopey guy. It makes no sense to me...we're probably missing some back story, but he seems so useless and always flailing over the teacher. What does she regret with him? I guess this is why they are one of the great mysteries of Gong jin :shocked:

- Haha, did anyone make DS's dental lesson dancing into a badge @mademoiselle @abs-oluteM? Could give KJS's dancing whale and YY's dancing a run for their money :laugh::laugh::laugh:

- Oh My God....that scene from the beach was sooooooo beautiful. That cotton candy pink palette, their running into the water and playing in the rain, the umbrella that changed colour when HJ remembered they kissed! And that life lesson Ds was trying to teach her...all this is the very definition of romance! :heart:

- But also juxtaposed with the bloody hand?! :lettalKWA::lettalKWA::lettalKWA: My theory is that he either had to do something bad that lead to an accident or he was involved in an incident where a person may have passed away...

Edited by JenL
  • Haha 5

Currently watching: My Lovely Runner // Chief Detective 1958

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Epsiode 6

- When DS was reading the poem and looking troubled about the kiss, he looks over at something before the scene cuts, but it doesn't show you what it is...I wonder if there's a photo or something that is a clue in his house :thinking:

- I'm not sure if someone here or somewhere else said this but I love that the stories with the villager's teeth actually tell you about how they live. Like in episode 6, the issue with Juri's snaggletooth - people in Japan actually get operations to have snaggletooths because it makes them look younger. So it's  you can see Juri's desperation to get rid of her snaggletooth being her desperation to stop being seen as a kid and be independant :MewHi:

- Hahaha DS trying to convince HJ that it's normal for friends to kiss made me laugh. Well, he's not wrong that people kiss as a greeting in Europe...considering their drunk kiss just looked like a surprise peck and not the full deal :idk:

- I like how surprisingly HJ gets along so well with kids. I think she's just a big kid who disguises herself as being more mature and well-put together than other adults. But really she lets her guard down with the kiddies a lot and sees herself in them. :heart:

- KSH looked so adorably sad when he pulled out that photo...what's everyone's take on that? Is it his mother and baby him or ex-wife and kid?? It's so hard to know without the male in the picture! :mine:

- Ahhh, the concert made me laugh so much....so many terrible singers in one place! Poor preganant lady looked so stressed when her husband went up to perform...telling her unborn child not to listen  :laugh:

- I nearly died from laughing when Juri, DS and HJ did their number. what kind of weird interpretative dancing was that?! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

- This is how much I know about K-pop...I actually had to google whether or not DOS was a real band :laugh: They are not :poliWeird:  But I actually found the song they performed to be so catchy. Can;t blame Juri or HJ for being fan girls. Especially when June was all smooth for his young fan and said he let it slide that she didn't recognise him coz she's cute. Me internally: Oppppaaaaa!!! :wow:

- Also HJ and DS met 3 times already....it looks like DS was unhappy as a teen....but damn he already looked cool buying girls milk and all :cool:

Haha, here's "Just feeling" if you need to listen to it...I had to get it out of my head...

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Episodes 7-8

Hahaha, I don't know why DS could not recognise that girl from SH's crew when she wore glasses. K-dramas and C-dramas and other dramas must get over this cliche that wearing glasses means some sort of weird ugly transformation :shocked:

- Nooooo....the love triangle began so soon! :PiplupCry: I was just loving the friendship between the guys! But unfortunately they both seem to know what they want already...still I feel like this triangle is quite tolerable because they're all still friends so far. Even though DS is jumping in to put some space between SH and HJ, it's not like he treats SH badly...and even though SH also feels a little uneasy about the other 2, it's not like he's made any digs at DS either :heiboi:

- Haha, DS's digs at HJ thinking everyone is obsessed with her are not unfounded...I admit I also use this line on my type A friends who are sometimes really focused on themselves (I love them, but they just need a gentle reminder)  :laugh::laugh::laugh:

- These 3 are so wild with their drinking games...what is that weird Yorkshire Terrior game where they say the word in weird voices?! Has anyone played it before...I tried to google it and it didn't come up :thinking:

- Hahaha, poor gossipy lady probably got a heart attack thinking that DS and HJ and SH having threesome, especially when DS asked Sh if he wanted ramyeon :laugh:

- SH is very sweet and puppy-dog-like. I feel like he's a bit like chaotic me especially when he went to the market place and got all excited over everything. I think this is the energy I had in Japan at every marketplace when I travelled there :laugh: But I really liked how he didn't force grandma to give up her house...he just won her over by being nice and understanding her lonliness. I wish everyone was nice like that. I hope there's no evil plot twists for his character. 

- I wonder who won the lottery in Gongjin :thinking::thinking::thinking: I feel like it's either DS or grandma. Who do you guys think? 

- That laundry scene :heart::heart::heart: They keep making us happy with these pretty light romantic scenes. It's so dreamy...if we all had ideal romantic moments, I feel like they should be like this - cuteness in the everyday mundane moments.

- Juri is so lucky in that she gets to hang out with her idol all the time! :BulbaOWO:

- See, the crying while drunk scene makes me feel like DS is talking about his mother more than a wife? :thinking: We still don't know what happened to his parents?

- Wow there's such a weird intense love triangle with the divorced couple and the teacher - it seems like such an odd relationship. I don't understand what Hwa Jeong sees in him...? Also it seems like she's caught in such a hard place between a friend and an ex-lover. But I'm wondering did he ever love her? He made it sound like she called all the shots, but he didn't have any feelings? The ex-husband seems so pathetic. I always thought Hwa Jeong could do better, but it's a small town, so maybe not :poliWeird:

- Episode 8 felt a bit fillery between the gossipy lady's backstory and DS feeling jealous of SH because they're so similar and he's being well liked since he's fresh and new and has celebrity status....Oh and there's the steretypical stalker who stole gossipy lady's red bra and other female clothing :laugh:

- I'm enjoying every cute moment between the leads. The episodes really sweeten the deal - I like that DS knew HJ was about to kiss him. It makes it all the more sadder that he's distancing himself from her! :letalQQ: And when she tended to his wounds and made him terrible porriage, he complained but was so adorable. :wow: 

FINALLY I HAVE CAUGHT UP :Party02:

On 9/20/2021 at 12:10 AM, Alice Wonderland said:

I think DS is making things complicated to himself later. He friendzoned HY instead of admitting his true feelings.

I think this relate to his trauma though....I feel like he is keeping his distance because he feels he can't look after someone other than himself. Remember, he said no to the hedgehog because it was a living thing :thinking:

On 9/20/2021 at 1:41 AM, im0202 said:

I had flashbacks to CLOY too at this scene. Is the ML being a beacon of light a new rom-com thing? Lol not that I’m complaining! :pandalove:

Hahaha, no, I have seen this happen in many a romance K-drama...they are each other's guiding lights :wow:

On 9/20/2021 at 9:30 PM, Alice Wonderland said:

Btw who is this neighbirhood pervert?? Someone from their village? Or the previous molester guy from last time who got caught?? His presence being a cupid for HJ and DS. Lols. 

I was trying to see if he's a character that has turned up before...and his body type kind of looks like the other police officer (not the one the friend likes) who yelled at gossipy lady...but he seems too dopey to be a stalker? :thinking:

On 9/21/2021 at 1:29 AM, Mouse said:

I feel like it's either DS or grandma Gam-ri for some reason. I feel like money seems like such a thing to DS that I wonder if it's tied to his mysterious past too. :poliWeird:

On 9/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Does he genuinely not know how he feels? When he's trying to get between Hye-jin and Seong-hyeong, is that just unconscious jealousy rearing its head and he's acting out involuntarily?

I think DS knows exactly how he feels, but there is something really traumatic holding him back. I think he feels like he's unlovable or that he can't be responsible for someone else because he thinks he's done something unforgiveable. Remember, he didn't even want to look after a hedgehog because he doesn't look after living things. The jealousy I think it's implied is a mixture of both knowing annoyance and involuntary action where he feels he needs to put some space between them :heiboi:

On 9/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The reality is that Hye-jin is a much better person than she gets credit for. The incident with the voice phishing scammer is an example of that. Her snobbery really does come from a rigidity about rules and playing the game properly. One of the advantages of having Seong-hyeong around is that he brings out another side to her. The friendly, happy side. I am grateful that he exists because he brings out the best in her without having to boss her around, nag her or entrap her. Because he knows her from way back and he's naturally a good-natured human being, he's not on the offensive. Du-sik pushes all her buttons and rubs her up the wrong way whereas Seong-hyeong remembers that she's hardworking, had a hard time balancing work and study, has a herniated disc due to an accident.

I think HJ is actually balanced well as a character even though she has a type A personality. As a character, she's symbolised by 2 things: Her expensive shoes and her job as a dentist - her shoes show this side of her which is more materialistic, competitive and driven by extrinsic approval. But her job as a dentist shows the side of her humble, responsible side - she takes her job seriously and it connects her to people even when she feels awkward. You have to literally look inside a person when you're a dentist and that's what Hye Jin does, literally and figuratively. The way I see it, she's just awkward and full of defense mechnisms when uncomfortable. :heiboi:

Du Sik's character I believe is modelled on the main character from the book he was reading in Episode 2, Walden. There's a few youtube videos, twitter posts that has explained his philosophy in life through the books he reads. With the accident, I saw an interesting theory on social media too: Some people think DS might have caused the accident and thought the person from the accident (HJ) died. But it turns out she was fine, just injured...but he became traumaised since he didn't know it's her. :thinking:

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1