Hometown ChaChaCha 갯마을 차차차 [2021]

2 hours ago, JenL said:

- I was so happy when I saw baby Du Sik because he's played by Song Min Jae, the little kid who played Jae Min in DDSSSLLS. Did you notice too

Yes. I forgot to mention that, but seriously, this drama is bent on giving me DDSSLLS memories, though I have to admit that overall, I still enjoyed that drama (except for the ending).

1 hour ago, JenL said:

I actually had to google whether or not DOS was a real band 

:lmao2: That is just so cute of you! I thought they worked hard to pull off the boy band performance. I'm not familiar with any of the young actors in DOS, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are/had been agency trainees at some point in their careers.

1 hour ago, JenL said:

Ahhh, the concert made me laugh so much....so many terrible singers in one place!

The singing talent show was hilarious but also cringy. I think it was a reflection of how popular singing competitions and talent shows are so popular right now?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Speaking of the talent show, I have to say I really enjoyed the terrible and uncoordinated dancing of both Du Sik and Hye-Jin. Watching them go all out despite not knowing what the heck they were doing was really something to see. I also loved how they were so confident they'd win after their performance only to be followed by a surprisingly talented Bora who not only sings well but is adorable to boot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

26 minutes ago, JenL said:

Nooooo....the love triangle began so soon! :PiplupCry: I was just loving the friendship between the guys! But unfortunately they both seem to know what they want already...still I feel like this triangle is quite tolerable because they're all still friends so far

I just feel happy for DS and feeling funny and a bit sorry in the same time to SH, he specially moves the chair for HJ to sit beside him, but HJ just flop down onto the chair next to DS. And DS grins in relieve. While SH is confused. Lols.

I'm feeling it too. I always prefer dramas to break through from this trope at least. But it seems they still make it as fun it can be. Like you said, they're still friends, that is hopefully maintained longer. 

35 minutes ago, JenL said:

I think this relate to his trauma though....I feel like he is keeping his distance because he feels he can't look after someone other than himself. Remember, he said no to the hedgehog because it was a living thing 

Ah, I bet. But under his unconsciousness, when he was drunk, he confessed his insecurity that someone wpuld leave him again. I'm sure it was his grandfather is the first, becuase if his death, the next one probably that bloody hands we've seen on the fragment scenes. 

40 minutes ago, JenL said:

These 3 are so wild with their drinking games...what is that weird Yorkshire Terrior game where they say the word in weird voices?! Has anyone played it before...I tried to google it and it didn't come up 

Lols. I was wondering what game is it. I think it's one of word play game, kind of its variation probably. Here, it looks like they have to spell the r letters in those words perfectly without any miss-spelled. Also, the 1 2 3 strawberry counts, too. Very fun and funny game actually. I laughed a lot watching his mouth moving. So hillarious. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Started watching. I looked up the ML. it turns out that he is in 2 Days & 1 Night program and also in Good manager. He seemed familiar lol. I didn't watch Waikiki 2. 

I like the ML helping the elders. Also the FL helping the boy in the village who had a tooth off by being hit by his GF. I laughed when she screamed after seeing a cricket in the sauna :D. Anyway the general atmosphere of the drama is so good.

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

Lol @mademoiselle calculative DS sure made an interesting impression on HJ's father!

Article on the pre-released

http://www.topstarnews.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=14632778

In the video, Yoon Hye-jin said to her parents who suddenly came to her house, "If you had contacted me in advance, I would have cleaned the house," and rushed into the house.

Yoon Hye-jin's father said, "I didn't ask to come," and Yoon Hye-jin's stepmother said, "Oh, that's funny. Hyejin, that is a lie. I came here for work nearby, and this person (referring to dad)  asked me to go see it. I said that we should contact you  first.”

Then, Yoon Hye-jin's father hurriedly said, "Where is the bathroom?", and there was Hong Doo-sik in the bathroom. Yoon Hye-jin asked, "Why is Chief Hong here?", and Hong Doo-shik said, "I came here to fix the shower head," and "The shower head exploded, and water splashed everywhere, so I was completely wet."

Embarrassed, Yoon Hye-jin asked why he was fixing it in a house where no one was there, and Hong Doo-sik said, "Pyo was here earlier . Didn't  you say  that you dentist will come later?” he explained.

Hye-jin, who was in trouble between her parents and Chief Hong, told Doo-sik to stop and go home, and Doo-sik calmly said, “Give me money because I fixed it,” causing  Hye-jin’s father to be surprised>

Hye-jin's father, who stopped Doo-shik from moving when he said she would send money to his account, said, "You're saying that you're the chief of Hong. I am the father of  Hyejin ” 

출처 : 톱스타뉴스(http://www.topstarnews.net)

• Like 6

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Connection Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - The Double (2 June)

Today is the first time that I am truly rooting for Dusik.

Episode 9 was… sad. It’s been hinted at in the last few episodes. He is lonely and thinks he will/should continue to be alone. Because everyone he loves… dies 😭

Dusik’s interactions with Hye Jin’s father was quite humorous and heartwarming. He was being his natural self and doing all the things you should not do with a potential father-in-law. But somehow, he managed to win him over just by being himself. That was nice to see.

And finally, we almost got the answer to mystery 1 only to be spoiled by Nam Suk! The man is dense - how can you possibly believe the woman wanted a divorce because you didn’t turn your socks? Underwear maybe. Socks???

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7
On 9/25/2021 at 12:30 AM, stroppyse said:

The singing talent show was hilarious but also cringy. I think it was a reflection of how popular singing competitions and talent shows are so popular right now?

Haha I feel like that applies to all the villagers...funny, but they make me cringe so much at times like when they introduced themselves to HJ's parents! :laugh:

On 9/25/2021 at 1:02 AM, Alice Wonderland said:

I'm sure it was his grandfather is the first, becuase if his death, the next one probably that bloody hands we've seen on the fragment scenes. 

I believe it was his parents first and then his grandfather. And I think the funeral he went to in the ending of today's episode was for a man? It looked like a guy in the tiny snippet of a funeral pic that you could see. I think he may have been involved in a work accident that resulted in the death of a friend? :thinking:

The reason I think it might be a work accident is that it would explain why he chooses part time jobs for minimum wage. I'm wondering if he did a high pay, high pressure engineering job and somehow something went wrong, leaving him responsible. Or at least feeling that way. I feel it's sad that he believes he's bad luck - it's so terrible that we believe things we hear as kids...so much so that it's hard to re-wire as adults. :letalQQ:

On 9/25/2021 at 1:02 AM, Alice Wonderland said:

Lols. I was wondering what game is it. I think it's one of word play game, kind of its variation probably. Here, it looks like they have to spell the r letters in those words perfectly without any miss-spelled. Also, the 1 2 3 strawberry counts, too. Very fun and funny game actually. I laughed a lot watching his mouth moving. So hillarious. 

Hahaha thanks for explaining! :heiboi:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 8
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: My Lovely Runner // Chief Detective 1958

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

1 hour ago, JenL said:

believe it was his parents first and then his grandfather. And I think the funeral he went to in the ending of today's episode was for a man? It looked like a guy in the tiny snippet of a funeral pic that you could see. I think he may have been involved in a work accident that resulted in the death of a friend? :thinking:

The reason I think it might be a work accident is that it would explain why he chooses part time jobs for minimum wage. I'm wondering if he did a high pay, high pressure engineering job and somehow something went wrong, leaving him responsible. Or at least feeling that way. I feel it's sad that he believes he's bad luck - it's so terrible that we believe things we hear as kids...so much so that it's hard to re-wire as adults. :letalQQ:

Just done watching ep 9. Why it feels like it becomes shorter and shorter. I checked it is still like its usual runtime, they spent the whole episode for touring HJ's parents in Gongjin. Lols

After watching today's episode, we got more glimpses of what happened to him. Yes, saw its last epilogue. Probably like you said, but the key is what he said, that someone he loved always leaving him. So the last funeral he visited must be someone he really cared a lot. It could be his ex lover or his co-worker. 

Put those aside, I just got upset that they trolled us with that vice chief runs for JH with her phone. I mean isnt it too weird that he should have called her. He ruined the mood between the two. Lols.

Next episode seems more interesting, this time HJ is introduced to DS's late parents. These two love to play pull and push for some more time I guess. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

One thing that always bugs me is this issue about how being an orphan makes one unworthy. This is the strangest sort of thinking I have come across. I know HJin's dad said it because he was being defensive but this is not the 1st kdrama that has lines like that. Are orphans to be blamed for their parents' death?

This episode was better than the last - I feel that we at least got to see some progress in the entire story. For one , we do get to understand a bit more about HJ's family dynamics. I thought her step-mum was pretty cool , and I think there has always been that wall that HJ's built because it was not easy for her to see her mum " replaced" . Anyway it looks like there was a breakthrough in her relationship with both dad & step mum. 

The hurdle for this romance is mainly to do with DS's trauma. The drama has dragged this for 9 long episodes , and I really think that things need to  come to a head. And there better be something that has substance - so much so that he  can't seem to get past this trauma.  In the epilogue,  when he said that he was to blame , I wonder if it was literal? He may really have caused the friend's death.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Connection Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - The Double (2 June)

Episode 9. I think I'm officially dropping this drama. I've started rooting for the 2nd ML, but I know that DS is supposed to get HJ in this drama, and I don't like to watch dramas where I'm so firmly in the 2nd ML camp.

Despite the epilogue which finally shows us why DS is so resistant to liking HJ as anything more than a friend, it was a little too little, a little too late, for me anyway. I mostly felt annoyed with DS this episode, and my favorite part was when HJ's father cursed out DS for talking informally to him. The exchange went like this:

Father: You. Why do you keep talking informally to me?

DS: Oh that. Well, that's a philosophy I have... To put it simply, it's friendlier and it's better.

Father: (after leaning closer so the women can't hear) It's only better for you, you son of a dog.

Then the father says they're leaving and drives off.

DS can be very considerate and sweet, but he's also very full of himself and seems to like being mysterious, even as he's very inquisitive about other people. Also, his attitude towards HJ is very dog-in-the-manger-ish. For whatever reason, he doesn't want to claim HJ for himself and turns her down time and time again, and even ultimately telling her father that he's not really HJ's boyfriend and only likes her as a friend. However, he also doesn't seem to want to see anyone else do well with her, e.g. SH.

I also think it sucks that SH did the right thing when they were younger by backing off once he realized HJ was going out with his friend, and now he's going to do whatever it takes to confess to her, but she's going to turn him down again. So, really, he's getting his heart broken twice by the same woman, one that he hasn't been able to forget over the years. And, he was also so sweet with HJ's parents and the village elders.

I'm also having problems with Hwa Jeong and Young Guk. YG is a total jerk, and it seems a totally clueless jerk at that. However, why didn't HJ ever just straight out tell YG what the problem was with their marriage? Talk about another frustrating relationship. And, I've gotten to the point now where I don't actually really care about either of these 2 characters because they're both at fault for not communicating.

Whatever else can be said about HJ, I have come to appreciate her forthrightness and honesty more and more as this drama has gone on.

Mi Seon and Officer Choi follow a similar arc in terms of 1 person being completely out there while the other one is completely reserved. At least this couple finally talked and Officer Choi was honest with MS, though even then he wasn't completely honest since she had been on his mind since they had met. Perhaps this couple doesn't annoy me as much, however, by sheer virtue of the fact that we haven't seen that much from them?

Anyway, I blame the writing on this drama. Think I'll go re-watch DDSSLLS instead.

• Like 8
  • Clapping Hands 1

@abs-oluteM I also don't understand why being an orphan is such a detriment. I feel quite the opposite.. if I found out that someone was an orphan, I'd be more considerate of them. Especially since Du Sik turned out quite well despite it all. 

One of the things I like about Du Sik is that he stays true to himself. Even with Hye-Jin's dad, he didn't feel the need to impress and simply stayed true to his nature. 

I understand now why, despite being a warm, friendly and helpful person, he chooses not to get into a relationship with Hye-Jin. It looks like he has lost every person who has meant a lot to him. He probably believes that he brings death to those around him and that is why he chooses to be alone. I wonder though why he chooses to do part time jobs... 

As SH, I do feel bad for him considering that he has always liked Hye-Jin and simply missed his chance in the past. 

I liked the honest conversation between Hye-Jin's dad and Du Sik.. I think that Hye-Jin's dad appreciated Du Sik's honesty and character which is why in the end, he approved of him even though Du Sik said that they were only friends.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Ahh, @stroppyse I am sad that you dropped this, but yea. I got it. Ah, thanks for the translation.

Im kinda shocked myself when he acted impolite to her dad. I mean whatever principle he has, he should be more polite to the elder. And DS felt quite shocked himself after being cursed. Lols. 

I agree that the proper thing for him to have done is to use honorifics since it’s the polite thing to do. 

However, a part of me thinks that Du Sik doesn’t use them to encourage others to be comfortable around him as well. Because he was so casual to Hye-Jin’s dad, it caused the dad to fully open up to Du Sik. He, too, wasn’t necessarily polite or nice to Du Sik. He was frank about his feelings. So you can say that Du Sik got to know him better because of it. 

In the Philippines, we use a form of honorifics too when speaking with those older than us or those who we are not as well acquainted with. We essentially insert “po” or “opo” in what we say, to denote politeness and showing respect. Growing up, when my parents would ask me of something, I would answer with “opo” to say “yes” politely. However, we weren’t encouraged to use “po” when we are talking to them. With others yes, but at home with my parents, my brothers and I didn’t have to use them. This was because my parents felt that subconsciously, it was creating a wall between them adults and us children and they wanted us to be able to talk to them and open up to them as we would our peers. Of course we still respected our parents but we were able to talk to them about everything and be comfortable with it. So this kinda reminded me of my personal experience. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4

6 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

One thing that always bugs me is this issue about how being an orphan makes one unworthy. This is the strangest sort of thinking I have come across. I know HJin's dad said it because he was being defensive but this is not the 1st kdrama that has lines like that. Are orphans to be blamed for their parents' death?

Hahahaha believe it or not I have had friends with this issue before. Not exactly the same since my friends are not orphans *knocks on wood*, but the weird beliefs I've heard about in-law's saying about family:

• The girlfriend's parents didn't want them to marry because the guy was from a big family which meant that the parents didn't have family planning ideas (Maybe they just wanted lots of kids?)
  • The girl's parents don't want her to marry someone who is an only child because it means she won't be in a big family (like HJ's dad) 
  • The guy said his parents didn't want him to marry someone with siblings because they'll all end up fighting about inheritance. Lol, they're not wrong....but he totally married someone with siblings :idk:

To be honest, most of these beliefs are that related to economics and character (ie. you think the person will be poor or have the same habits/ luck as the parents). I think it's not that unusual in some ways because I've heard from Korean friends that divorce is also sigmatised. Being an orphan and being a child of divorce are similar = it's not your choice and says nothing about you as a person. Might gives you traumas, but everyone has mini traumas from occasional bad parenting, even if your parents are lovely, good people who really care for you.

@Mouse I think the dad was already biased against HDS because he felt uncomfortable against not using formal language since he's more traditional and HDS seems to bring chaos against order and can be prickly and doesn't back down :laugh: But because they don't know each other, like HDS's philosophy stems from trying to break away from trauma, the dad would link his casual ways or 'rudeness' to being brought up without parents. The common belief is people without parents haven't been taught well/ learnt to be properly civilised people. And then he also mentioned not wanting HJ to be alone.

This episode was better than the last - I feel that we at least got to see some progress in the entire story. For one , we do get to understand a bit more about HJ's family dynamics. I thought her step-mum was pretty cool , and I think there has always been that wall that HJ's built because it was not easy for her to see her mum " replaced" . Anyway it looks like there was a breakthrough in her relationship with both dad & step mum. 

Totally agree - episode 8 felt a bit fillery to me. I like the second lead because he's quite a character and kinda reminds me of me when it comes to food and excitment (I will also eat a meal after a meal)  :laugh: But ugh too much jealousy/ love triangle is annoying to watch.  This one gave deeper insights into HJ's character. Also liked that they made her step mum a nice person and someone who helped her dad get over an alcohol problem it seems, and it's actually HJ who is trying to struggling because she misses her mum.

The hurdle for this romance is mainly to do with DS's trauma. The drama has dragged this for 9 long episodes , and I really think that things need to  come to a head. And there better be something that has substance - so much so that he  can't seem to get past this trauma.  In the epilogue,  when he said that he was to blame , I wonder if it was literal? He may really have caused the friend's death.

I don't mind the mystery surrounding DS. Maybe because I enjoy theorising and trying to work out mysteries....romance is not bothered by this because I think I enjoy the romantic tension before characters get together - sometimes things are too soppy once they're together :laugh: But I hope the pacing will not be bad, because that is one thing that can be problematic if they don't reveal enough in time. I think it's literal and he caused he's friend's death...but not like murder...only because of inaction/ misunderstanding/ accident....like he said he would pick up his friend, but he forgot and the friend took a bus and died in a bus crash. Something trivial like that. :letalQQ:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Think I'll go re-watch DDSSLLS instead.

Hahahaha, the ultimate comfort drama (except for the ending) :hearties:

DDSSLLS is king in my heart and even though I like HTCCC and am definitely into the storyline, DDSSLLS will always be the best version of a quirky-town-seaside-romance to me :heart:

Actually aside from the actors from DDSSLLS and setting, there are a few other things I find similar: I think it's funny that both dramas use silly sounds in their title :yayaya: I also think that the male leads both overcoming trauma - especially being somewhat involved in the death of a friend looks to be another similarity :heiboi:

DS can be very considerate and sweet, but he's also very full of himself and seems to like being mysterious, even as he's very inquisitive about other people. Also, his attitude towards HJ is very dog-in-the-manger-ish. For whatever reason, he doesn't want to claim HJ for himself and turns her down time and time again, and even ultimately telling her father that he's not really HJ's boyfriend and only likes her as a friend. However, he also doesn't seem to want to see anyone else do well with her, e.g. SH.

In my viewing of HDS, I think he's not so much trying to be mysterious for enjoyment, but just deflecting or avoiding any conversations of things that might trigger his traumas. I mean, knowing how gossipy this town is, I would also be careful to never let people know things about me, because who knows who could be eavesdropping or even just accidentally overhear? And if they did, he would probably never hear the end of it which would be painful considering he seems to be very affected by the trauma :idk:

As for being full of himself, I think it's more he puts up a confident attitude about himself to break the ice with others and just has a prickly/sarcastic style of humour. He also likes to teach people things, but that's because he realises knowledge comes easy to him and he's over eager to help people. Some people really warm to that personality type, while others feel repelled by it because they think it's bossy or one-upping (HJ's dad). I think the reason he doesn't want to start anything with HJ is because he believes that he will bring upon her unhappiness or worse. But also I think he's punishing himself from getting things he really wants because he believes he did something terrible in the past and doesn't deserve love. But I agree that HDS can be really petty about SH hanging with HJ...but then again, most male leads I've seen in dramas either become petty or do stupid noble idiocy acts when the SL strikes  :MewHi:

His traits are kind of explained in that book that he reads (Walden) in episode 2. The character in that book actually reflects HDS a lot that I wouldn't be surprised if the writer's modelled his character entirely on that character. The character in the book lives in a way values independence, self-reliance and minimalism in both money and relationships. In Walden: He believes in working minimally. Sometimes he comes off as selfish because he acts so self-reliant  (ie. he likes to help others, but not depend on them). He also moves to live close to a pond and the water apparently symbolises the purity and depths of human nature. This is a choppy explaination, but much of HDS's philosphies are more clearly explained by the books he picks up to read. :heiboi:

I'm also having problems with Hwa Jeong and Young Guk. YG is a total jerk, and it seems a totally clueless jerk at that. However, why didn't HJ ever just straight out tell YG what the problem was with their marriage? Talk about another frustrating relationship. And, I've gotten to the point now where I don't actually really care about either of these 2 characters because they're both at fault for not communicating.

Mi Seon and Officer Choi follow a similar arc in terms of 1 person being completely out there while the other one is completely reserved.#

The side couples are so odd in this series. I'm not invested in them enough to feel frustrated, but I'm intrigued as to what HJ sees in YG. He is NOT a catch. At all! The only redeeming thing is that he loves his son. But otherwise I think HJ could do soooo much better. I don't understand why she likes him....if there's a character who seems to enjoy being mysterious, I would say it's more HJ!  :poliWeird:

MS and the police officer make me cringe so much. I'm not charmed by them, and I also think that he would be a really boring partner since he seems so police-y. But I'm sure there'll be some sort of character development. :heiboi:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 3

@Mouse I see. But the part he does shoulders bump to greet him is quite impolite. Lols. He acted as if her dad is sameage as him. I agreed in the end, he opens up to him and seems like he gives his consent to be her boyfriend. 

Ah, Sunday is still ongoing but I want it to be saturday soon again. Who do you think will meet JH first? I bet it's DS. Cuz both of them are in his house I think. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Du Shik actually is the male version of Shim Bo Nui from drama Lucky Romance in 2016. She also felt everyone around her become unfortunate and die or suffer. She resort to all the superstitious tradition that doesn't make sense, eventhough she's actually quite smart. I guess it's also same with DS, logically he should know it's not true, but the pain of losing everyone around him must deeply clouded his judgement. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif