The Sword & The Brocade 锦心似玉 2021

Woohoo!

6RvSmqO.png

Ag6Lvcx.png

First kiss!

22UpboK.png

On 2/28/2021 at 10:55 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Once again, the impressions I get off Xu Ling Yi is that he is a one-woman man . It was clear he had some affections for his 1st wife though things turned sour towards the end. If there were no affections, he would not have agreed to marry YiNiang to fulfill her dying wish. He was clearly sad that she died. This is important because this means that once he falls for YiNiang , it is her that will rule his heart.  I doubt that having the other concubines were his idea , and he does not see them as joy but rather as a burden.

I think so too, although I've only just finished episode 6. I think he also has a good impression of Shi Yi from their earlier encounters because he agreed to marry her pretty quick and his only objection was age. Unlike Lian Fang, where he tried to get out of it and even suggested that she marry another man. In all the romance books I've read, a man subconsciously knows :smug:

On 3/1/2021 at 9:48 AM, NiteWalker said:

im still thinking to myself....just because a kiss, their fate is seal? I guess we should be lucky we arent staying in that era at all....

The setting of this drama seems more conservative than those I've watched. The young ladies had to 回避/hide when a man enters a room. So a kiss means she is no longer "pure".

Anyway, I love harem/concubine sagas. Favourites are War and Beauty, Beyond the Realm of Conscience, Rosy Business and Yanxi Palace. Hope this one turns out well.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1
3 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Woohoo!

hahaha actually i was clapping when this happen....its was like seeing the ball bouncing back at you!!!

this scene actually make my days hahaha i was laughing at ppl misery ROFL hahahaha am i bad???

6RvSmqO.png

Ag6Lvcx.png

5 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

The setting of this drama seems more conservative than those I've watched. The young ladies had to 回避/hide when a man enters a room. So a kiss means she is no longer "pure".

Anyway, I love harem/concubine sagas. Favourites are War and Beauty, Beyond the Realm of Conscience and Yanxi Palace. Hope this one turns out well.

yes i was like wow a kiss and the fate is seal? lols....damn...

i have full confidence that this one will turn up fairly good and well too

• Haha 5
1 minute ago, NiteWalker said:

this scene actually make my days hahaha i was laughing at ppl misery ROFL hahahaha am i bad???

But that's the reason we watch such shows, to watch them suffer! That's where the joy is! LOL.

One thing I still don't understand is why Yuan Niang needed to have the "appointed" sister (planned to be Er Niang but ended up being Shi Yi) with her when they "discovered" a partially undressed Lian Fang in the room with the Marquis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thank you @SnT for your explanation on the divorce types. So maybe LingYi gave it to Shiyi to give her a choice and if so, it would’ve been done out of love and not hate. 

@AwkwarDerp I actually wondered too if LingYi loved Yuanniang. While I think he did, I don’t think it was the same or as deep as he does Shiyi. I do think he had affection for her but I don’t think he was in love with her. He clearly cared for her and appreciated her role as his wife. Enough for him to grant her last wish. But I don’t think he missed or craved her company. It’s more of respect I think. 

• Like 3

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

48 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

welcome!!! hahaha....their awkwardness is very cute....i always laugh whenever i see how they were with each other.....

everyone is actually shouting for them to consummate their marriage hahaha and i think at te rate they are going....we might need to wait for a bit more maybe this coming week we get to that development? hehehe

:cool:

Thank you!! 🥰 I'm hoping we got something more next week before anything bad happens haha I feel bad for Lingyi, he needs to step up his game.. I'm also waiting for them to consummate their marriage 🤭 

Thank you @abs-oluteM Happy to be here and loving all the discussions ❤

Edited by tine09
Additional comments
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

I have just binge watched until ep 16, love it very much, in general the story is resemble with Ming Lan, which she is the daugther of concubine, smart and humble person, father is weak than the ladyship, mother died in early story. 

The story is so serious from the beginning but finally we got served by romantic comedy from Shiyi and LingYi after they got married lol, really she has the sharp tounge only for Ling Yi in all ocassion lol, love their bickering.

He HongSan really amazing, she can play as a lead and supporting character both well! She looks so young. I am happy got to see Tang SongYun vs He HongSan in this drama. Love them both, they are ageless!

So i think Ling Yi has attracted with Shiyinfrom the beginning, but he is a loyal husband for Yuan Niang, so he ignored her. 

Btw i found Amber (one of Shiyi's maid ) so familiar, do you guys know her? I think she will be paired with Daddy Tang character (i forgot his name, Lin something).

40 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

One thing I still don't understand is why Yuan Niang needed to have the "appointed" sister (planned to be Er Niang but ended up being Shi Yi) with her when they "discovered" a partially undressed Lian Fang in the room with the Marquis.

Yuan Niang need her Luo Sister to ensure someone take care of Zhun, her weak son. Since there is Yu, the son from Concubine Wen who is very smart and talented. And also her father hasnt been reinstated from his position in Palace, so their Luo Family is in danger position. So she has to help her family with making alliances. In future Zhun will be married to Jiang daughter, so Jiang family will support Luo Family. Zhun should be protected. If she is gone and other family become Ladyship, then Zhun's future will be dark. So she has to ensure the ladyship still from Luo Family.

That was why Yuan Niang set Lian Fang up in order to make her as concubine, since she is the legitimate daughter not the daughter from concubine. Usually the daughter from Ladyship will be ladyship as well not as concubine. So Yuan Ning succeed securing the ladyship position for her sister.

Edited by Tothestars
  • Like 3
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
47 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

hahaha actually i was clapping when this happen....its was like seeing the ball bouncing back at you!!!

Me too hahahahhaha i was so happy YESSSSSS!! (Screaming in heart lol)

Oh i really sad when Shiyi's mother is dead. TSY's acting really really natural, i think she remembered when her real mother was died too. So sad! 

Another plus I love most cast using their own voices!

Edited by Tothestars
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

But that's the reason we watch such shows, to watch them suffer! That's where the joy is! LOL.

she need a witness other than herself i believe.....and you're right we actually enjoy this kind of drama is when the evil get their retribution hahahah

35 minutes ago, Tothestars said:

Btw i found Amber (one of Shiyi's maid ) so familiar, do you guys know her? I think she will be paired with Daddy Tang character (i forgot his name, Lin something).

hmmm i find there is a clip where the maid tried to get the HouYe to pay attention to her and ShiYi walks in on them.....

of course HouYe is trying his best to push Amber away from him too

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Tothestars said:

Yuan Niang need her Luo Sister to ensure someone take care of Zhun, her weak son. Since there is Yu, the son from Concubine Wen who is very smart and talented. And also her father hasnt been reinstated from his position in Palace, so their Luo Family is in danger position. So she has to help her family with making alliances. In future Zhun will be married to Jiang daughter, so Jiang family will support Luo Family. Zhun should be protected. If she is gone and other family become Ladyship, then Zhun's future will be dark. So she has to ensure the ladyship still from Luo Family.

That was why Yuan Niang set Lian Fang up in order to make her as concubine, since she is the legitimate daughter not the daughter from concubine. Usually the daughter from Ladyship will be ladyship as well not as concubine. So Yuan Ning succeed securing the ladyship position for her sister.

Hello @Tothestars thanks for the explanation. I understand that.

But why did Yuan Niang need a sister to go with her during the discovery? A maid could have accompanied her. What difference does it make? Now Shi Yi is being mistaken by her MIL and her husband as having been in cahoots with her sister in framing Lian Fang - I don't think this is Yuan Niang's intention as it weakens Shi Yi's position.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Tothestars said:

Me too hahahahhaha i was so happy YESSSSSS!! (Screaming in heart lol)

Oh i really sad when Shiyi's mother is dead. TSY's acting really really natural, i think she remembered when her real mother was died too. So sad! 

Another plus I love most cast using their own voices!

yes she is a natural in those scenes....she reacted and play out the tears well...it doesnt felt force or fake to me

6 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

But why did Yuan Niang need a sister to go with her during the discovery? A maid could have accompanied her. What difference does it make? Now Shi Yi is being mistaken by her MIL and her husband as having been in cahoots with her sister in framing Lian Fang - I don't think this is Yuan Niang's intention as it weakens Shi Yi's position.

a maid can be said that they follow what their master said....they are suppose to follow their master footsteps so their words isnt as reliable....while ShiYi might be YuanNiang's sister...they cannot openly accuse of her twisting the truth to support YuanNiang accusation since while she is a concubine daughter she is still daughter of the house.....that will put her station above the maid

• Like 4

Thanks @SnT for enlighting us about divorce process in that period of time. I agree that the Marquis probably gave her the divorce letter to give her the choices that she deserved. I hope she will realized that she is in love with her husband by then.. haha this is just my speculation though...

I do think that our Marquis has some affection towards Yuanniang, maybe in the early part of their marriage, but since he often in the battle and not around much trying to gain footing and re-establish their family name, they grow apart. And Yuanniang did not trust LingYi enough because he is always fair in his decision. 

With ShiYi, I think LingYi attracted to her calm and decisive demeanor and later her intelligence ( I remember the scene where she dissed him during bath for being so strict to Zhun.. haha. That punchlines!!) and her trust towards him in recent episode.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, MorningDew said:

With ShiYi, I think LingYi attracted to her calm and decisive demeanor and later her intelligence ( I remember the scene where she dissed him during bath for being so strict to Zhun.. haha. That punchlines!!) and her trust towards him in recent episode.

yes....he asked her why did it never cross her mind that the child he brought back might be his....

ShiYi told HouYe that she believe in him that he isnt such a character

in ShiYi, HouYe found the trust that he looking for the trust that he had hope YuanNiang had given him...something that further drove them apart because she refuses to believe in him more

• Like 3

@Chocolate

@Mouse lingyi is a kinda man that is fair n just. He is also a systematic n logical person. To me, he believes in system at home.. Wife is wife, concubines arw concubines. In a family n inner coutyard, everyone had their roles. Wife has her roles n comcubines have theirs. He never want to upset any balance. He just want that balance to be kept. So as his main wife, he must allocate the right power, rights n duties n he must supoort her. He does the same w yuanniang n shiyi. I m sure he treat both same to start. But both ladies react to him differently n take their duties differently. While both are smart n calm n capable, yuanniang put her intetest n her family interest first n she calculate n set up n scheme to achieve her own motive. Its like every move she made is about what she can get out of it. Shiyi on the other hand aporoach matters in a broader view, houye interest n xu family interest. N up to this point, the most important thing that happen is trust. Trust to him that he will make the right n fair decision. So he react different. While it stops at affection n respect n responsibility to yuanninang, it is turning to next level for shiyi. I would not say love yet but definitely he likes her a lot n feels comfortable to discuss his prob. Perhaps it is beginning of love n he doesn't know it yet.

Why yuanniang needs to bring a sister along. So that the chosen one was equally involved in the plot. Swept into it. Remember she does it out of her interest. It does not matter lingyi love or love her sister in the future. That none if her business. Her business is to filled that position so that hervson is taken care n luo is secured. N it is better if lingyi doesnt like her siater because then she will go back to luo to back her up n thus her luo mother will fully control that sister. How can any man love a woman like that. U r going to sleeo next to a woman to seems to plau chess w u everyday. U need to play back by breaking her scheme, guarding her n protecting yourself. That is not husbamd n wife. Hence he cannot let down his guard w yuanniang.. 

This is precisely why lingyi knows a lot about home matters. Our houye has spies in the manor. Why u thibk he comes riding home at the last min w the porridge saga. With him being away a lot n his understanding of his wives n concubines n his experience w yuanniang n knowing his brother not so not dependable, he has planted many eyes at home. I m not surprised someone report to him regularly about these women doings. In a romantic sense we see a knight in shinning armour but in a cruel way, it is like he a general who has enemy inside out _- court n home. On guard on guard. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Hello @Tothestars thanks for the explanation. I understand that.

Ah sorry hahahha

1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

a maid can be said that they follow what their master said....they are suppose to follow their master footsteps so their words isnt as reliable....while ShiYi might be YuanNiang's sister...they cannot openly accuse of her twisting the truth to support YuanNiang accusation since while she is a concubine daughter she is still daughter of the house.....that will put her station above the maid

Yeah bcos of this too, Yuan Niang need witness from her family, i guess Yuan Niang also want to see between Shiyi and ErNiang, which one is capable of cooperate with her. Yuan Niang praised Shiyi in front of her mother, that Shiyi is smart because she can stop Concubine Wen to ruin her plan. But i believe that Yuan Niang already has planned everything, although it might Er Niang who would went with her, i believe she can manage it. She just want to test both girl.

hmmm i find there is a clip where the maid tried to get the HouYe to pay attention to her and ShiYi walks in on them.....

of course HouYe is trying his best to push Amber away from him too

Omg, i havent watched this scene, i think i am starting to think that Amber was the killer! She is to pretty to become a maid! I will keep an eye on her! :laugh:

Edited by Tothestars
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

the setting in whole is really nice...the house look normal from the outsides, and they pour some efforts into all those craftsmanship and the setting of the whole area too

Agreee!! I love the cinematography, the setting, the costumes, the soundtrack, the cast, perfect ensemble!

Ah finally i remember! Ling Yi's Subordinate is the one who play in Love in Between! The swordman in white lol.

Edited by Tothestars
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Tothestarsi also hv my question mark on amber. She seems loyal for now. That scene of shiyi bumping into them will happen in ep21 i think. But in trailer 22 she is still there with them running out gleefully w dong chin to get water when the two houye sidekicks sent him to her drunk. They all look so happy to leave the master n mistress alone.  But she still could be planted by madame luo to be a back up card if shiti fail to gain favour or she lost control of her. 

@Chocolateit actually does not matter which sister. The plot was get qiao out from the theater hall n see which gals follow her out. Those that go out to play will indicates that she is playful n maybe even greedy to want to see the xu manor. The one that stays back is the one chosen. I think its fate. Yuanniang says so to her mum too. So happen shiyi stays back, so happen she was smart enough to stop wen. So be it. Its her. Just remember the yuanniang wanted a seat filler not finding a new love for lingyi. She wants madame luo to be able to control that sister whobsit in that position. Lets just say heaven is smiling down at our houye. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, SnT said:

@Tothestarsi also hv my question mark on amber. She seems loyal for now. That scene of shiyi bumping into them will happen in ep21 i think. But in trailer 22 she is still there with them running out gleefully w dong chin to get water when the two houye sidekicks sent him to her drunk. They all look so happy to leave the master n mistress alone.  But she still could be planted by madame luo to be a back up card if shiti fail to gain favour or she lost control of her. 

for some times i had thought that Amber is going to stay loyal to ShiYi, however after i seen that clips i pull that break a lil....

i hope that it wasnt as i thought it was...

• Like 3

. I almost rewatch all the episodes. I strongly recommend rewatching. Because like u all say sets, clothings, cinematography all so beautiful. Even ost tells their stories. Ending ost sang by Wallace. Rewatching gives me a chance to appreciate not just the plot but the actors n their micro expressions n other parts of the drama. Maybe first round i was too focused in the story wanting to know what hapoen next . Now I appreciate different actors in thevsame frame, their action like who smiles, who smirks.. Focus on different person expression or action or things like sets costumes u will get another feel. It is a good production. Only worry is if they crash the script by turning our houye stupid o our shiyi dimwit out of the blue or make some illogical plot.. Now everything is flowing nicely.

Wallace has such impressive presence. Seriously when he is on screen he gives that air of a general, man in control, the sterness, the fear he evokes in bad doers are just amazing. Everytime i watch him i was like wow, wow, wow. Handsome is just one thing, his built n stature n most importantly acting is so good. I just have to fangirl wallace again. Honestly i cannot imagine another actor playing this role nit even denglun or renjialun who worked w tsy in under power.. What more to say any 20 plus yo. This need a mature actor. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

Raise your hand if you think this drama is very addictive...:PikachuFacePalm::rmbtshi:

I just can't stop watching it, from 4 till 12, my record for these two days lol. I'm so afraid of spoilers that I can't "talk" or "read" this thread, and you folks are posting like crazy as always.

Good crazy.  :laugh: 

Once I'm caught up with current airing episodes, don't anyone stop me from crashing the party here lol. Love the excitement you all are bringing forth at such warp speed.

19 pages! Jia You! :love: 

SPOILERS (for anyone who hasn't gone past Ep 12)

This has, in so many ways, especially because of this OTP (probably my huge bias hehe), surpassed Ming Lan by Ep 12. I guess I can now rest and catch up with the rest (13 to 18) over the weekend. Anyone else's heart dropped when you saw this (and look at Shiyiniang's eyes lol):

BTS-pics-XLY-carries-SYN.jpg

Ohhhhhhh...:wow:

otponhorse.jpg

And yes! Finally! XLY is taking his wife back home. Finally some real action from this general. I thought he was too indifferent, too aloof and too uncaring of our sweet Shiyiniang (sweet but not so smart, for now, of course it's no doubt for character growth, likewise for our general). But he has his own nonchalant way of caring, just as he did with his late first wife, Yuanniang. Btw, so sad to see her leave the world of the Luo family (and this drama). I love YIng'er too. But well, she just has to go to pave the way for Shiyiniang to marry into the household to watch over her Luo Family, esp. her son and husband.

Besides the beautiful embroidery, the beautiful settings and cultural artifacts, I love the bickering and coldness these two are sharing at the moment. So I am fine with the angst (caused mostly by none other than the hateful schemer, Concubine Qiao) and the non-sugary behavior of them. Slowly but surely their flame of romance will glow, yes? Looking forward to their consummation (they haven't, right? I didn't miss it, right? haha), and erhem, that passionate kiss and more, more, more! :hearties:

(PS: Pardon me if I'm posting photos that have already been posted. I haven't gone through all the pages of this thread. I know, I am very late. I have to catch up, right? I will.)

Edited by oppasaranghaeyo
(Explanation for pics if posted in duplication)
  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

Current Faves: Undercover & Mine & Bossam (Kdramas); The Handmaid's Tale (US Drama)l  

Watching: A Good Supper, Court Lady...  Waiting: Red Sky, Love (Season 2), Penthouse (Season 3)...  

9 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

hahaha no you're right they havent done it yet hahahaha

N he is going to try real hard chasing his wife. It will be fun to watch. Now he just want to be close to her. I think not necessary for the deed but for the companionship n just being near. 

• Haha 3
16 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

This is my first time watching Wallace Chung. But his expression is always so remote/aloof, most times, I don't know if his acting is bad (no offence) or he is trying not to laugh when he is with Shi Yi 😂

He is a good and experience actor. I personally think he try to portray XLY as a serious general with but someone tsundere. :cool: 

I watched him as a general in General and I ( his co-star is Angelababy), I love that drama as well. He is so charismatic, suited the role as a general. And he kissed realistically.. lol. So anticipate on how he will do the kiss scene with Tan Song Yun. 

I'm sorry.. maybe I'm biased because I fangirling him too much.. hehe. 

And for Tan Song Yun, this is her first drama that I watch, probably will watch her other work too after this because she's cute and talented 

• Haha 6