Go Ahead 以家人之名 [2020]

When I watch a scene like this one under the cut, I can only once again applaud Zhang Xincheng for his amazing acting in this series.  He is really knocking it out of the park!  The way he conveys his emotions really helps me to connect with his character and makes me feel what he's feeling.  Is it any wonder that ZQ has my heart?  :heart:

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

@Lodestar I am away on holidays and have limited wifi so I haven't had the chance to really read all of your posts but I agree :1000: on what you stated below (I just cut the post because I didn't want to quote all of it but I agree with everything you stated).

On 8/27/2020 at 2:13 AM, Lodestar said:

I like the development of the romance between LX & LJJ. From LJJ’s initial refusal to her now unsaid happy acceptance, the story has evolved smoothly. They are such a happy pill together.

I have come across many comments on SM, which are disappointed due to their romance. One of their gripes is that the story is losing its initial core of familial relationship & is descending into a typical romance drama. The second & most illogical one is that LX & LJJ were raised as siblings so how can they turn into lovers?

I personally do not think that even between LX & LJJ there has been any familial loss. The role they played within the family is changing. Family does not consist of only parents & siblings; we also have in-laws. They are still part of the family.

LX & LJJ relationship was not shown simply as that of siblings right from the start. They have a special bond that is beyond siblings. The creators were very clever in marking the difference between LX & ZQ as part of the family. LX has different parents & lives in a separate house whereas ZQ was basically adopted by the Li Family. ZQ is the son of the Li household whereas LX is the son of Ling household. LX is basically neither legally nor biologically related to LJJ. It is just a cultural thing for them to call each other brother & sister. They were basically childhood best friends.

I also thought the drama did such a good job of making their closeness visible yet we can see/feel the distinction between JJ's relationship with LX and ZQ. This was not only made obvious in their family set up (living in 2 different homes) and the way JJ and LX treated each other, but also re-enforced by the following scenes:

• The difference in how JJ reacted to LX vs ZQ's confession. With LX, JJ was flustered while with ZQ, it was presented in a comical way.
  • The way JJ viewed their family tree - to her, ZQ is part of her family tree while LX belongs in the Ling family. So even though she addresses LX as "brother", she has always been aware of the fact that they belong to 2 different families.
  • When JJ asked ZQ if he would force a kiss on her.. the way ZQ reacted was like "are you crazy?" 
  • When JJ was turning down ZQ, she brought up the point of "sleeping together" where she explains to him she means "having sex" and ZQ shows discomfort in the thought... these are all indicators of how ZQ really sees/feels toward JJ.  I actually really loved this scene because it showed that JJ was perceptive towards ZQ's feelings.. she was able to discern his real feelings when even he couldn't discern it.

I have to say that as much as I was annoyed with MY, I am glad the drama didn't portray her as a villain. I thought the way she handled the situation was quite mature. True, she needed time to accept it and recover from her embarrassment but she didn't begrudge JJ or make it difficult for LX.

I still can't quite read CT's motives. It looks like she didn't mean to harm him and the burn was an accident. LX's trauma is from the weight of the responsibility that was put on his shoulders at a young age and then having to deal with watching her and worrying about her all the time - not knowing when she's going to attempt taking her life again. 

• Like 4

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

1 hour ago, Mouse said:

I still can't quite read CT's motives. It looks like she didn't mean to harm him and the burn was an accident. LX's trauma is from the weight of the responsibility that was put on his shoulders at a young age and then having to deal with watching her and worrying about her all the time - not knowing when she's going to attempt taking her life again. 

I agree with you -- CT will never win any Mother of the Year awards, and she can still be really annoying and hateful in the ways that she places demands and expectations on LX, but in terms of what we saw in Episode 28 (where LX explains to JJ how he lived in Singapore) I actually sympathized with them both.  When a person suffers as extensive an injury as the one CT suffered it's natural to grapple with anger, darkness, and despair.  I found her helplessness rather realistically portrayed, just as I found LX's depression also realistic given the circumstances.  Caretakers often do suffer secondary trauma, particularly for someone as young as LX and who had to burden all those responsibilities on his own.  (If anything, the entire time I was watching, I really feeling hatred towards the extended family around them, none of whom were willing to step in and help!) 

As for the burn, it's clear that the incident happened because of her, but it's also clear it was not intentional.  It was, like you said, an accident that occurred while she was having one of her fits and lashing out.  If anything, it looks like that was the moment that made her snap out of things and realize she needed help and started taking her rehab seriously.

CT is, as many of these characters are in this drama, very layered and complex.  Sigh.

• Like 4

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

16 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I agree with you -- CT will never win any Mother of the Year awards, and she can still be really annoying and hateful in the ways that she places demands and expectations on LX, but in terms of what we saw in Episode 28 (where LX explains to JJ how he lived in Singapore) I actually sympathized with them both.  When a person suffers as extensive an injury as the one CT suffered it's natural to grapple with anger, darkness, and despair.  I found her helplessness rather realistically portrayed, just as I found LX's depression also realistic given the circumstances.  Caretakers often do suffer secondary trauma, particularly for someone as young as LX and who had to burden all those responsibilities on his own.  (If anything, the entire time I was watching, I really feeling hatred towards the extended family around them, none of whom were willing to step in and help!) 

As for the burn, it's clear that the incident happened because of her, but it's also clear it was not intentional.  It was, like you said, an accident that occurred while she was having one of her fits and lashing out.  If anything, it looks like that was the moment that made her snap out of things and realize she needed help and started taking her rehab seriously.

CT is, as many of these characters are in this drama, very layered and complex.  Sigh.

yes, I also felt more angry toward the extended family rather than CT herself. I also thought it was very realistic for both CT and LX’s character to be suffering from trauma - albeit different kinds. The scene where LX was imagining CT knocking on the door, it was really her neediness that was haunting him. To be the primary caregiver at such a young age, amidst being away from home, starting college, taking care of little orange, and then also dealing with her suicide attempts .... you can understand why it took such a toll on him. 

I am actually curious to see how the drama is going to portray the healing process for all of them. 

also, Steven’s acting in this one is so superb. Tbh, even though he isn’t going to get the girl, I am happy they decided to cast him for the role of ZQ bec he delivered. 

• Like 4

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

3 hours ago, themarchioness said:

i can only find the excuse she didnt did that intentionally however i cant forgive her for the way she cling and demands things from her kids....

being a mother does not give u the right to demand for things when u, yourself doesnt give....what did she contribute to the family?

all i can see is grieve

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

i can only find the excuse she didnt did that intentionally however i cant forgive her for the way she cling and demands things from her kids....

being a mother does not give u the right to demand for things when u, yourself doesnt give....what did she contribute to the family?

all i can see is grieve

That's why I also said that I still don't like it when CT is showing us her demanding and expectant sides.  But, I think it's important to distinguish between her actions/behavior as a mother and as an injured patient.  We can (and should) hold her responsible for the things she does in her role as a mother.  But we should show generosity and understanding when she's behaving in certain ways because she's sick -- at least, that's my opinion.

To put it another way, it is very realistic to imagine a situation where a person who has always been the nicest and most loving of persons, gets into a serious car accident, and now they're behaving as CT does.  In that situation, we'd have no problem feeling sympathetic and would forgive them for anything they might say and do because we understand, they're just dealing with a lot of pain and having to adjust to their life being completely different from what it was before.  

CT's situation is tricky because she hasn't always been the nicest and most loving of persons, so we feel prejudiced against her.  But what she's going through is no different from what the nice/loving person I described above is experiencing. That's why I say we should separate how we feel about her as a mother versus as an invalid.  This is, I imagine, what LX was also struggling with when he took care of her.  Can you imagine how hard that must've been for him?  Here's a mother who he doesn't like; she gave him up when he was a child.  And yet, he has the sensibility, the maturity, and the heart to understand his mother is presently in pain and needs help, and so he can't just set her aside.  It's no wonder the boy ends up as stressed as he does.

Edited by themarchioness
  • Like 4

My Fanfics

26 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

So many tears...

I know... last night's episode and adding the dreaded new episode... I'm scared... 

I think this song fits with my current mood. 

Li Jianjian... Ling xiao... He Zi Qiu... Jiayoooouuuu.... T_T

Regarding ChenTing... I do understand her situation during when she was sick... No one would have an easy time when you're in that position. But it doesn't mean I have sympathy for her.

Her character has always been too used to get caught in her own misery... and sadly I don't think she understand how damaging her behavior to her own children. The clinginess, neediness, how she demands... really... this kind of person scares me because she can suck you into her black hole of misery if you're not strong enough.... Its scary. 

Even as an audience.. looking from a stranger's POV, its very depressing and torturous. 

Simply said, CT need help, but not  on the expense of the children's mental health.

Ps. I think she kinda don't like Jianjian too... because she was present when she left LX.. and JJ reminds her of her misery.. her guilt and shame for abandoning LX. 

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

But we should show generosity and understanding when she's behaving in certain ways because she's sick -- at least, that's my opinion.

yes, thats what i told @UnniSara as well as @Lynne she didnt meant to pour that porridge on LingXiao, she was throwing fits any patients will do.....

took care of patient and been down the road......so i know full well on what she is going thru....for me i wont hold her responsible for that....

however 1 thing i cant take it is that she cling and cling and cling and she choke LingXiao on it....she demanded and demanded and demanded....

phone call to check on LingXiao to ask for small things....

where this things is at ...

where the shops is located at ...

its all an excuse just to check and control lingxiao and also to ensure lingxiao doesnt forget about her and that she is still his responsibilities.....

• Like 4

Since the beginning the drama portrayed CT as a selfish mother. She left her 3 yo daughter to be taken care by her not much older Bro and padlocked the house while she had fun played mahjong. After accident happened she blamed everyone especially the son and when she was being called out she cannot takes it and left the son.

After so many years she came back and think just because she’s the mother and rich, the son will accept her with no Q asked and shoved her mini me under his throat. Unfortunately she got into accident and once again her selfishness shown in how she demands attention physically and emotionally from her son.

Her attitude during up and down period of her life is the same, selfish, self centered and narcissistic.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, Lynne said:

Regarding ChenTing... I do understand her situation during when she was sick... No one would have an easy time when you're in that position. But it doesn't mean I have sympathy for her.

Her character has always been too used to get caught in her own misery... and sadly I don't think she understand how damaging her behavior to her own children. The clinginess, neediness, how she demands... really... this kind of person scares me because she can suck you into her black hole of misery if you're not strong enough.... Its scary. 

Even as an audience.. looking from a stranger's POV, its very depressing and torturous. 

I’m not sure I feel sympathy for her either, tbh, 😝 but I do understand her situation. I guess the line I’m trying to draw is I think there’s a difference between her always being caught up in her misery because that’s her nature to be that way and her being caught up in her misery because her life truly does suck in that moment. 

I also think when she saw the burn on LX’s shoulder that was a wake up call to herself that she needed to pull out of her black hole and start rehab. 

We don’t actually know what then happened between that moment and LX’s eventual return, but I imagine it continued to be difficult. I’m sure there were moments of setback.  I’m sure in her hardest of times her temper would flare.  But was she always a raging, angry person?  I don’t know.  Maybe it was also the case that things were okay-ish, and it wasn’t until LX wanted to leave that all those selfish tendencies of hers returned.  Then again, ultimately, she let him leave.  We’ve all been presuming she still has something up her sleeve, but maybe she did see the light.  I honestly have no idea what that woman is up to, but if this drama has taught us anything, it’s never too late to open hearts and forgive. We will have to wait and see what the drama has in store for us with CT!

17 minutes ago, Lynne said:

Simply said, CT need help, but not  on the expense of the children's mental health.

Ps. I think she kinda don't like Jianjian too... because she was present when she left LX.. and JJ reminds her of her misery.. her guilt and shame for abandoning LX. 

Honestly, I have always thought what CT really needed was a good psychiatrist. She lost a child and now she’s an invalid. Say what you want about her as a mother, but this woman does not have a good life.  

And I think you’re right that JJ serves as a reminder of her own failures. She also feels that JJ serves a block in her reunion with her son.

• Like 5

My Fanfics

1 minute ago, OsmanthusTea said:

Her attitude during up and down period of her life is the same, selfish, self centered and narcissistic.

some ppl are just not fit to be a mother.....

1 minute ago, themarchioness said:

And I think you’re right that JJ serves as a reminder of her own failures. She also feels that JJ serves a block in her reunion with her son.

im scared..... >< i dont like her back in the pictures, it would had been alright if she stay in SG......gosh seeing her at the door give me flips!!!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, NiteWalker said:

im scared..... >< i dont like her back in the pictures, it would had been alright if she stay in SG......gosh seeing her at the door give me flips!!!

Well, LX in SG is LX who was young alone and scared. The new LX is a much matured LX with a whole village of supports and especially with JJ on his side. "Abusing" LX is one but if CT and her Mini Me dare to lay a finger on JJ, I am sure LX will raises hell. JJ isn't a little girl anymore also. CT should be think twice before she does anything.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

I’m a guarded optimist by nature so I’m going to have hope but with a cautious heart just so I won’t be completely devastated if things don’t go well, haha.  But the hopeful viewer in me hopes she returns to make peace with her son, so that LX can also be healed in the same way that we are currently seeing that process unfold with ZQ.  Is it too fairytale to hope for that? 😂

• Like 4

My Fanfics

1 minute ago, themarchioness said:

I’m a guarded optimist by nature so I’m going to have hope but with a cautious heart just so I won’t be completely devastated if things don’t go well, haha.  But the hopeful viewer in me hopes she returns to make peace with her son, so that LX can also be healed in the same way that we are currently seeing that process unfold with ZQ.  Is it too fairytale to hope for that? 😂

oh no i wish for the same......cause i believe only by her making the amend can LingXiao fully let the demons sleep.....its slowly breaking the surfaces....those darkness with it licking tongue .....it took me some courage to press on the 'play' button yesterday... ><"

3 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

Well, LX in SG is LX who was young alone and scared. The new LX is a much matured LX with a whole village of supports and especially with JJ on his side. "Abusing" LX is one but if CT and her Mini Me dare to lay a finger on JJ, I am sure LX will raises hell. JJ isn't a little girl anymore also. CT should be think twice before she does anything.

pretty sure that Jian Jian will stood by him.....and this times ZiQiu will also be there.....despite having his own demons to fight......we have only 6 episodes to go for the finale so im not sure how much hell will be raise.....

i love the talk Father Li had with the 3 of them.....the next morning after ZiQiu meltdown....that is really long overdue....

• Like 4

Actually, if I were honest, it’s not CT’s return that has me worried. It’s that TC has been showing too much concern for ZQ lately!!  Hahahaha. As you all I know, while I’d be perfectly fine if ZQ’s ending was was that he found peace and happiness, I’d also like him to find romance. And TC is not who I have in mind for that! (I’d rather him remain single in that case!)

Don’t make me have to write a fanfic just to get the ending I want, Show!! 

😂😂😂

6 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

pretty sure that Jian Jian will stood by him.....and this times ZiQiu will also be there.....despite having his own demons to fight.....

For sure. This drama shows us time and time again how the three of them may have their squabbles amongst themselves, but the minute any one of them is affected by anything, they stand arm and arm to protect and support. 

6 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

i love the talk Father Li had with the 3 of them.....the next morning after ZiQiu meltdown....that is really long overdue....

Meeee tooo.... Papa Li is always so humbling, so great.  I also love how their morning started with their old patterns sliding right back into place, complete with ZQ banging on the ceiling for LX to come down. ❤️

Edited by themarchioness
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

My Fanfics

This drama show 2 different mothers who did the same thing but for a totally different reason with the same results.

• HeMei, left ZQ because she considered herself unfit as a mother and she was thinking ZQ is better off without her. Even after so many years she keeps the same thought. The reason why she did not comes back to get him. She took a good care of him when he was living with her and also refused to aborted him despite had to lives as a single mother. She did what she did out of love for her son.
  • CT, left LX because she can't stand the sight of him who serves as a living reminder of her own failure. She was not a good mother to begin with. She often neglected her children before that. She considered herself as a victim and everyone is out to get her. After she feels better she comes back and thinking because she is the victim, her son should accepts her with open arms. She disregarded her son's feelings because in her eyes she's the only victim. She is incapable of empathetic. She shoved Little Orange to her son thinking she got him a replacement for his dead sister because that what she think of Little Orange.  She has never realizes that Little Orange is like salts rubbing to LX's wounds.

Both resulted in dysfunctional children with abandonment issue.  IF no daddies who stayed the results will be disaster. The message from this drama is family should stay together and face challenges together in the name of family.

add.

Family here isn't applicable by blood relations alone

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, themarchioness said:

No you're not wrong.. sooner or later... the whole Chen Ting issues has to be faced. I think in the end, everyone will find a common ground and make peace of their past hurt... the story is about healing after all..

BUT,,, BUT.... the road there will be super bumpy... and I think she will try to make demands.....

Honestly... I am expecting either Ling Xiao or Jianjian or them both to snap.... because YES, like @OsmanthusTea mention.. this is not the same LX back in SG anymore. 

Luckily right now, Ling xiao is not alone anymore.. he has jianjian and the support from his family.... 

Remember this scene in the credit:

Spoiler

aQkGdfj.png

• Like 5

@Lynne You and your reminders today, grrrr! 😂

I’ve never been worried about that image though because LX is resolute, JJ will always come first, and everyone else will support them.  So, even if CT doesn’t come around, it’s only she who would be left to wallow by herself. 

But... having said that, I still think it’d be better if she mended her ways. For LX’s sake.  Because he’s a responsible child and I think he’ll always worry for his mother.  Even now when something feels off, he’ll call his sister to check on his mother.  These children have been raised by their two dads, so of course they’re thoughtful and responsible people.  Much as they probably wish they could cut the cord, they can’t. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My Fanfics