Love Like the Galaxy 星汉灿烂 [2022]

Tofu

So does this mean that they’re just going to continue to air season 2 without a break? If yes, I am sooooo happy!! I was already stressing over the fact that S1 was ending and we didn’t have a firm date on S2. How could I spend my days in eager anticipation?!

Seeing Ling Buyi and Shaoshang’s relationship slowly grow is making me :wow:

I love that they both needed time to get to know each other. I love that Ling Buyi actually listens to Shaoshang. When she told him that she felt like he was controlling her, he really gave it some thought and presenting her with that piece of bread (it looks like a pita by the way) was so significant. The smile she gave him after was so bright. It showed her that he respects and cares about how she feels. 

The scene where he lifts her up on that ledge and asks her to stay away from the Eastern palace… I love the way he softly looks at her and says “who hurt you?” :heart: The gentleness and affection in his voice was so endearing. I replayed that scene over and over again. You can see how much he loves her.  

I really love that scene on the ledge because once again, Ling Buyi lets Shaoshang express her thoughts and feelings and he meets her half way. When he understood her reasons for doing so, he just gently holds her hands and says “alright, you can do anything you like… I will protect you” :heart: 

Ling Buyi doesn’t try to control her. He tells her when to be careful but he lets her do as she pleases once he understands her reasons. And I love that he is supportive of her. To others, she appears stubborn and unrestrained. But to him, he always sees the good in her. He knows that there is always a reason behind her words and actions. Just like he knew that she was testing the emperor and empress when she complained about the other girl (can’t remember her name).  

I also noticed that whenever both Ling Buyi and Shaoshang are in the presence of other people, he never corrects or interrupts her. Even when she is being forthright in her thoughts and potentially offending royalty, he just sits there and lets her say what she wants to say. He only steps in when he feels the need to protect her. I love that about him. Again, another sign that he respects her and thinks highly of her. 

As for the part where he says he’d rather take his heart back… I must admit I didn’t fully understand it either. The way I interpreted it is that he’s trying to tell her that everything he does is for her good because she means so much to him. And if she can’t see that, then he’d rather take his heart back since she is the only woman for him. He won’t give his heart to anyone else. So if she is not willing to receive his love (“his heart”), then there is no one else to give it to. He might as well just have it back. I think it’s also meant to tell her that all of his words and actions are born out of his heart and he hopes that she would see and appreciate his efforts. Anyway, just guessing here bec I don’t really fully understand that part. 

I cannot wait to see the rest of the episodes. It looks like Shaoshang’s love for Ling Buyi will finally deepen and her attachment to him will grow. But my senses are telling me that something bad is about to happen to them and I’m dreading it. :nervous:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

@Mouse Yes! It will continue to air new episodes until end of August! :smile: Season 2 has 29 episodes.

I love the scene where he lifted her and put her on the legde too. It was so manly... :wow: 

1 hour ago, Mouse said:

As for the part where he says he’d rather take his heart back… I must admit I didn’t fully understand it either. The way I interpreted it is that he’s trying to tell her that everything he does is for her good because she means so much to him. And if she can’t see that, then he’d rather take his heart back since she is the only woman for him. He won’t give his heart to anyone else. So if she is not willing to receive his love (“his heart”), then there is no one else to give it to. He might as well just have it back. I think it’s also meant to tell her that all of his words and actions are born out of his heart and he hopes that she would see and appreciate his efforts. Anyway, just guessing here bec I don’t really fully understand that part.

I think you might be onto something here. I checked the novel, the sequence of how this scene came about was actually after Consort Yue dissed everyone at the banquet (a family gathering, not General Huo's death anniversary). But in the drama the sequence of appearance was swapped. So I think he did get upset partly because she's not seeing the things he has done for her. And then later he overheard her telling Crown Princess Chu she's trying to figure him out, his face brightens up (happy again) :CharmanderYay::lol:

Novel version, if interested. Tagging @abs-oluteM @Tofu in case you guys wanna know.

Spoiler

Originally at the banquet, Shao Shang realised Zi Sheng spoke on her behalf during her first meeting with the Emperor was an act of protection. After he knows the Emperor has accepted Shao Shang, he lets her speak on her own. He did the same when Lady Ru Yang interrogating Shao Shang. With this revelation, Zi Sheng looks at her with anticipation asking: "How will you thank me?" but just when Shao Shang was about to respond her attention was drawn away by Consort Yue's entrance. Zi Sheng got upset and bit her hand (first bite 😆). Zi Sheng ignored her to the end of the banquet. I think she upset him even more when she decided to head home without waiting for him. He chased up on her carriage and asked her "what is he to her?", and told her he's neither her brothers nor servants where she can send away or call upon as she wishes. He is her future husband. She should respect, love, believe him and she should put her eyes (attention) on him. He hopes she will remember this and think about how she should treat him going forward**. Before the banquet, the Emperor also told her off for not being considerate of Zi Sheng (because he has had to wake up very early in the morning to fetch her and send her home late at night, and she doesn't even invite him in for dinner or stay overnight). But at that time, he said he willingly does it.

**Note: The part where he tells her what he likes of her but he never said he will take his heart back.

The next morning, Shao Shang went around the house trying to seek advice on how to treat him nicely, but everyone was of no help so she ended up visiting Qiqi's grandma Wan. Grandma Wan gave her very good advice. On her way home, Zi Sheng was waiting for her because he didn't want her to grovel at him and that's when Shao Shang realised Zi Sheng is always the one compromising. She then tells him she'll treat him really really well. Mr. Moody instantly became happy and they made up.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 6
1 minute ago, Yana said:

Is it just me, or has Zisheng begun wearing lighter clothing since his engagement with Shaoshang, whereas previously he wore all black? :thinking: 

It's not you. He is wearing lighter colour.

@abs-oluteM @Tofu @Mouse I rewatched the upcoming episode previews. The part that Shao Shang tells Zi Sheng she'll be very good to him will actually be in the drama in the next few episodes (but instead it looks like she'll say it at his mum's place). Also I think him compromising to go see her after a fight might be in it too due to the dialogues played in the previews. It'd be nice they show us this coz I thought it's something important in their relationship to become closer and get to know one another.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@mademoiselle I am curious to find out what makes Shaoshang say that to Zi Sheng. I am excited for her to come to say that because it’s a major turning point in their relationship. By the way, why is he sometimes called Zi Sheng and sometimes called Ling Buyi?

why does he leave for a fight and why does he come back to see her?

• Like 5

@Mouse Yes, that was a huge turning point for them. She didn't know how to act or treat him. Her experience with Lou Yao was mainly him running around doing things/buying food she likes. She just "takes", but now she needed to "give" as well so she felt lost. So she seek advice from Grandma Wan. Not sure if this will be shown in the drama. After that she started learning how to "care" about/for him. There's a scene she was cooking in the preview... that's her cooking soup for Ling Bu Yi every day (in the novel) and she also made dessert for the Empress.

As for the names, I've been meaning to ask if you guys get confused with so many names thrown at you, especially in English? I was getting dizzy myself when I read the novel because other than their own names, the characters also were given official post names because they worked for the Emperor.

Back in the Confucian days, Chinese has different types of names given to their children. I guess you could see it as how westerners are given "middle names" and "nicknames".

Using Ling Bu Yi as an example...

His formal name should be Ling (family name) + Bu Yi (Given name).

Then he is given an alternative "courtersy/style name" called "Biao Zi" (表字) when he's come of age, so I think this is Zi Sheng (子晟). This is more often used than the formal name by people same age or younger than him. Older people will call him by his formal name. Emperor would often address his subordinates by courtesy name than formal name too. Zi Sheng must be given by the Emperor because all his sons' courtesy name began with "Zi" as well.

Ling Bu Yi also has a nickname (like Shao Shang is Niao Niao). His is "Ah Zheng (猙)". At the end of the novel, he asks Shao Shang to call him Ah Zheng.

There's also another name called "hao" () which in English is translated to Art Name.

Korea's General Yi Sun Shin also were given all these different names. Posthumous name was given after death.

Screenshot-2022-07-30-at-13-21-23-Yi-Sun

1 hour ago, Mouse said:

why does he leave for a fight and why does he come back to see her?

Hmm, is this regarding the fight they have, not a battle scenes from previews right?

If it's the fight meant after the argument, it's from the original novel which I mentioned before. When he intercepted her carriage, he kind of left her near her home but not the front door and left. Then the next day she went to see Grandma Wan... and on her way back to home, he was waiting for her on the street, with just a horse and no one else. Let me know if this is what you're asking.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 5

@mademoisellethanks so much for all of this info! I suspected as much - that Zi Sheng was likely some sort of nickname since Shaoshang is called “Niaoniao” by her family. But having you go into detail on the different types of names and who usually uses them is so helpful. 

as for the fight, I guess I am a little confused because the order of events in the novel vs. the drama seems to be a little different. In the drama, he gets upset and tells her to give him back his heart and he then doesn’t pick her up the next day. Is this the same fight? 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mouse said:

as for the fight, I guess I am a little confused because the order of events in the novel vs. the drama seems to be a little different. In the drama, he gets upset and tells her to give him back his heart and he then doesn’t pick her up the next day. Is this the same fight? 

Yeah the series of events in the drama vs novel isn't quite the same. In my memory, him being upset and said he's taking his heart back is not in the novel. Neither do I remember 3rd princess was able to lay a hand on Shao Shang in the novel because Zi Sheng always come to her rescue in the palace. Also Shao Shang never visited the Crown Princess' chamber because she knew from the first meeting that Crown Princess is up to no good. So the whole scene of him being upset, not picking her up the next day, bullied by 3rd princess, scene with Crown Princess and their conversation on the ledge are not in the novel.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Ok, so I spoke too soon. From ep16 onwards, the mother is like 360 degree change 😂 We know she wants well for her daughter and could foresee the difficulties of the 2-wife Luo household etc., but suddenly she spoke calmly with NN and decided to give her time to experience it herself. Well done! And may I say, the slapping is one the most satisfying parts of this drama lol!

Now at ep22 and the Empress has appeared. I read somewhere that the Emperor has a concubine that he actually loves. It's no wonder. The Empress is a YES WOMAN. She has no opinion in front of the Emperor. How boring that is. Men like women like NN - they stand out in a sea of simpering females. A lesson for us 🤣.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

@Chocolate Emperor has one Empress and two Concubines. Consort Yue is Emperor's first and only love. They knew each other since young. She also marries him first. Marriage with Empress and making her the empress was a political move. Emperor's third concubine was an accident. The novel explained that one day he fought with both Empress and Concubine. Got himself drunk and had a one night stand with Beauty Xu (Beauty is Title) who at the time was his servant and impregnanted her. Since then he never had any other woman serve him but Enunch Cao, Empress and Consort Yue in his bed chamber. To be honest, I can imagine how sad this is for the women that their men fought with them and went off to sleep with another right away! *Deserve to be snipped, doesn't it?

P.S. You'll like Consort Yue in E30 (or E3 of Part 2)! ^ ^

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2
3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Emperor has one Empress and two Concubines. Consort Yue is Emperor's first and only love. They knew each other since young. She also marries him first. Marriage with Empress and making her the empress was a political move. Emperor's third concubine was an accident. The novel explained that one day he fought with both Empress and Concubine. Got himself drunk and had a one night stand with Beauty Xu (Beauty is Title) who at the time was his servant and impregnanted her. Since then he never had any other woman serve him but Enunch Cao, Empress and Consort Yue in his bed chamber

Zi Sheng also explains this in Ep 30 When Shaoshang commented that it would have been better if the emperor hadn’t gotten drunk and conceived 5th prince :laugh: I actually loved this part because if I recall correctly, this was the first time she leaned in and had a casual conversation with Zi Sheng while they’re in the presence of others. Another sign that she’s getting more comfortable with him 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Mouse said:

Zi Sheng also explains this in Ep 30 When Shaoshang commented that it would have been better if the emperor hadn’t gotten drunk and conceived 5th prince :laugh: I actually loved this part because if I recall correctly, this was the first time she leaned in and had a casual conversation with Zi Sheng while they’re in the presence of others. Another sign that she’s getting more comfortable with him 

Yeah that was when I first realised she called him Zi Sheng. 🥰 but then later on I notice she already addressed him as Zi Sheng when she spoke to Emperor... I guess it's not the same of calling him Zi Sheng directly 😍

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Now at ep22 and the Empress has appeared. I read somewhere that the Emperor has a concubine that he actually loves. It's no wonder. The Empress is a YES WOMAN. She has no opinion in front of the Emperor. How boring that is. Men like women like NN - they stand out in a sea of simpering females. A lesson for us 🤣.

You will see later that this Consort Yue is very powerful. In fact she can say anything to anyone and they are all scared of her. Even the Emperor lets her - she speaks the truth so he let's her even if it can come across very harsh. She wields more power than the Queen but she's not interested in palace politics. She's pretty cool.

@mademoiselle how many children does the Emperor have in the novel? I was surprised LBY asked SS to be careful of the Crown Princess - she seems nice.  But then again it is too early to say if she has underlying motives. 

This lifting scene is actually more heart fluttery than the forehead kiss. No wonder Wu Lei has strong arms ahahahaha.

FY5gKAXaMAEufdq?format=jpg&name=900x900

hahaah this is hilarious...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

@mademoiselle how many children does the Emperor have in the novel? I was surprised LBY asked SS to be careful of the Crown Princess - she seems nice.  But then again it is too early to say if she has underlying motives. 

Exactly what OsmanthusTea said. Only the first 5 princes and princesses were old enough to be mentioned in the book. The rest of the children were still too young.

Empress Xuan bore:

1st Crown Prince

2nd prince

1st princess

5th princess

Consort Yue bore:

3rd prince

4th prince

2nd princess

3rd princess

4th princess

Beauty Xu bore:

5th prince

The young ones I don't think it was mentioned they were given birth by who. The Royal family is pretty incest too because they marry each other's relatives. Like 3rd princess (Yue) marries a male descendant of the Empress family (Xuan). Then 5th princess (by Empress) marries someone from Consort Yue's family.

Niao Niao has a younger brother too but this was omitted in the drama. Her 3rd uncle, too, have 3 children (omitted). :pandathink: Apart from the 2nd princess(+her hubby) and 2nd prince (+his wife), all the ladies can't be trusted in the book.

Edit: I remember it was mentiond in the book Empress and Consort Yue each give birth equal number of children for the Emperor.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

@mademoiselle @Mouse

Regarding names, us Chinese have a habit of throwing out random nickname to some people based on variety of random things mostly physical appearance. For example if the person is fat, he/she can be call Fei Fei, Phang Qui, Phang Phang etc....:shocked: If the person is a beloved, then Xiao Ai etc. Sometimes we were addressed by our birth order like LBY is called SeYi Lang (11th son) or Lao San means the third older son.

Me myself has an English given name, Chinese given name, nickname by family members, nickname by older folks plus different screen names in various different forums across the WWW :PsyWhat:

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

@abs-oluteM In the book, Crown Princess (surname Sun) is a vicious, greedy woman. Like the normal palace antics, she's hungry for money and power. Crown Prince married her because they were engaged since young, but he actually has someone in his heart. She knew this (Zi Sheng told her before marriage) but she pretended she doesn't know and decided to marry the prince. The woman that the Crown Prince loves is married too but she did not have a happy marriage, mainly because Crown Princess sends misunderstanding gifts to her every year in the Crown Prince's name making her think the Crown Prince still like her and her husband couldn't endure this so he abuse her.

P.S. Crown Prince loves that woman but he never did anything unfaithful and never meet that woman again.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
36 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I want this one

Here you go! Haha!

LLTG-77-T-S.gif

And the other one from their meeting at night.

Spoiler

LLTG-74-T.gif

This is from the official trailer. Ling Buyi looks so scary even his laugh is scary. I'm looking forward and also not looking forward to it. 

LLTG-72.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Clapping Hands 1