Twenty-Five Twenty-One 스물다섯 스물하나 [2022]

bai

Here is the translation of the OST by the 2521 gang;) It was lovely and good to hear that they got along so well to release an OST together;) :heart:    I have so many theories about the drama but I'm keeping an open mind that it might be a bittersweet ending for NHD and BYJ, however, just want to throw this one question out there-"how can one get over a great love as BYJ?" so please dramagods make the impossible possible!  :BulbaOWO:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
2 hours ago, bai said:

btw, genuine question. Is NHD age category still a minor in SK? Enliiiiggght. I read some discussions about this issue NHD-BYJ relationship is not cool but I thought it's ok because she already 18/19 (eventho she still in the school, but not a minor anymore right)??

In my country someone not a minor anymore when they hit age 18 all law is applicable after I got ID

Yeah, so technically, in Korea, they are still in high school till 20 and the legal age is 20...so she is still technically a minor? It's the same where I live as you @bai 18 is the legal age where you can do anything an adult can legally do here. :idk:

As for the controversy, and I think @Unnie0110 will also feel this since we both liked Do do sol sol la la sol which went through a similar controversy - it's definitely not a situation where anyone is being taken advantage of or groomed or anything illegal or bad - the story has literally been about a deep connection and friendship. Both characters are similar in maturity and literally nothing that happened...I'm almost certain that the love he's referring to isn't romantic. But I guess that's the danger of coming of age films where the main characters are just below the legal age...some people are going to read romance annd other adult themes into it and coming of age films do deal with these things. Like at 19.5 years of age, it's a tricky topic - it's not like your maturity necessarily changes in a few months. But I guess if someone was 19.5 (or 17.5 in my country) and explicitedly asked if they should date some older guy, I wouldn't give that advice or advocate that - there is an age standard for a reason. However, everyone's situation is different. But as a drama story, I don't feel offended by it because I don't see anything bad portrayed even in the story (again because there is no romance yet) :idk:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

I agree with you @JenL, like in Dodosolsollalasol, there is nothing malicious, ill-intent or disadvantageous from the relationship of the two leads. BYJ has shown us nothing but respect, maturity and genuine affection for NHD. I like how NHD is mature for her age and is very honest with her feelings and views. The leads so far has a natural progression of their relationship, the more they rely on each other and inspire one another, the deeper their relationship will be and will set the stage for a mature relationship once NHD becomes an adult.

@JenLand @bai, in my country too, 18 is the legal age  unlike in SK that is 20.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
3 hours ago, JenL said:

Also the grandma seemed to be so teasing that Min Chae didn't know who Baek Yi Jin was seems to indicate that she might know who he is (her dad) and Min Chae does seem to exihibit some of Yi Jin's traits like she could so easily empathise with her grandmother's feelings, which kind of reminds me of Yi Jin. And Yi Jin's dream was to work at NASA, so maybe he ended up getting his dream job in the future which is why his daughter doesn't know he was once a reporter

I hope this is the case ( crossing fingers and toes ) ....but I still keep thinking of what grandma said that she saw YiJin recently - it is strange for her to be saying that to her daughter if YJ was the husband. I think she and YJ are not together in the present though, I don't know if he's alive or not. 

---------------

Eps 10 is going to have some heart fluttery moments. This beach trip came about because both YR and HD had missed out on school trips due to them always training. So YJ decided to get permission to bring them for one as part of the documentary. And the other two managed to get themselves to tag along !

Spoiler

202203132239441710_2.jpg

These two also somewhat confirmed their feelings for each other

image_readtop_2022_232324_16471765364973

But what worries me is that at the end of the eps , Min Chae asked her mum about memories of the beach trip and what she said seems to foreshadow a "sad" ending. Maybe the drama is being a tease ...I dunno anymore :psweatduck:

I post an extract from Naver here: 

Kim Min-chae (Choi Myung-bin) saying, " Mother, you once went to the sea with your friends. Did  you take pictures thinking you will do it forever?” Na Hee-do answered, "Is there such at thing as an eternal thing? Everything is temporary and everything passes. That doesn't mean it's all bad," she said....

------------------

From the preview it is still school life...so will we ever move past this stage?

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

I hope this is the case ( crossing fingers and toes ) ....but I still keep thinking of what grandma said that she saw YiJin recently - it is strange for her to be saying that to her daughter if YJ was the husband. I think she and YJ are not together in the present though, I don't know if he's alive or not. 

Hahaha, oh don't get me wrong, like I said before there are many holes in that theory one can poke. Aaaand I still personally think it's most likely going to be a sad ending because I still feel like nostalgia series make sense with sad endings especially since they keep talking about knowing how to get over hard times...and unfortunately because Hee Do seems to have this strong level of resilience, I think there will be something big to test her  :680695677_HalloweenChampion2020:  

But I just wanted to share that happy ending theory by Korean fans just in case we see a glimmer of hope later on in the series.:idk:

One can still dream :pandasad:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

29 minutes ago, JenL said:

One can still dream :pandasad:

I am still hoping for a twist as well. The funny thing is that when I first  started this drama , I thought it was a sweet rom-com  :lmao2: . I thought the tone won't be so heavy. But as the episodes passed,  I started reading into the lines that the characters are saying and my mind just went wild. LOL! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

26 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

@abs-oluteMI too picked up on what mom said in the closing scene of episode 10. Sigh. It seemed sad. And did mum really not remember the trip to the beach? I would’ve thought that for someone who never had a school trip, that one would’ve been unforgettable, what with photos and all…

Episode 10 seemed to be filled with a lot of melancholy.

I felt it was sad, but also realistic? (If they're going to a sad ending). Like sometimes my high school friends who I still keep in contact with will mention something that happened in those years and I can't remember it at all. And it'll be something really funny that I'm meant to know or remember...but for some reason I can't recollect :nervous: 

But it does feel a little painful to hear those words from adult Hee do. Like it feels like it meant so little to her. :letalQQ: Though I also think it might be possible that she does remember since she also had a kind of knowing smile and added that it's not a bad thing that those moments flew away. i.e. if something bad happened to Yi Jin, then maybe she remembers but it's more like a distant nostalgia rather than very clear memories? So she was able to move on with a fond feeling of the past, but not the details which caused pain :heiboi:

But the one thing that concerns me is the pacing? From the teaser, episode 11 feels like they'll stll be in high school next ep...so that leaves 5 episodes after that...will they stick another time jump in soon I wonder :thinking:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Love tonight’s episode as well. Had a really good laugh when they were on the trip, but trust this writer to not just fill it with silly laughters, there were also some heartfelt conversations about families. 

Was quite shocked about the ending though, especially what older HD said to her daughter, about nothing lasts forever, which is true though. So the fact that she didn’t remember going on the trip, something must’ve really happened later on which made her not want to keep the memories too close to heart. Anyway, I have prepared myself for whatever might come, so writer-nim, bring it on!! 

48 minutes ago, JenL said:

But the one thing that concerns me is the pacing? From the teaser, episode 11 feels like they'll stll be in high school next ep...so that leaves 5 episodes after that...will they stick another time jump in soon I wonder 

I actually think the 21-25 yo time will come very much closer to the end, and that’s probably how/where the drama will end. I certainly don’t think we’ll be shown much of the present time as the ending, it definitely will not be the closing scene, because this is the story of NHD as portrayed by Kim Tae Ri, not the actress of adult NHD. She will only appear a few minutes each episode. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Back after a good sleep (I’m on leave, yay!) to qualify my earlier post.

Lovely episodes this weekend, though episode 10 felt a little heavier. There was an air of melancholy throughout, from Yijin’s confrontation with that lousy PD and having his HS dip rubbed in his face (it’s not like he never made it to uni - he did and to a top one at that, but the Koreans are far too status conscious), to his convo with his dad, to adult Heedo’s comment on the temporality of everything. I have to say, while I still think Nam Joohyuk’s facial expressions can be improved acting-wise, he does do melancholy well. His eyes are expressive. 

Some thoughts regarding things that were said in relation to the theories spinning out there - why did Yijin’s father tell him that he (YJ) has been a source of great joy for the last 10 years only? Not all 23 years of his son’s existence? YJ certainly does not behave like a child born with a silver spoon. He seems very well able to cope with hardship (unlike his younger brother). Is he a child from his mother’s first marriage and this father is mother’s second marriage? He did look deep in thought when the 3 musketeers were sharing about their families, especially in response to Heedo saying that her father passed on early in her life when she was still in primary/elementary school. And why does Heedo not remember the beach trip, especially when it was so significant that she would journal about it and have pictures? I might not remember many events in primary school, but I certainly remember high school events… or do we at some point actively reject some happy memories when they eventually get associated with sad ones?

Regarding the ages of the OTP and confession of feelings between the two, I thought it was very nicely done.

Koreans follow the sino practice of “aging up” during the lunar new year (though not all Chinese do that now). So while your chronological age is 18, you would’ve “aged up” minimally +1, therefore 19. It’s therefore not very different from our other represented cultures here where 18 is when most things become legal (drinking, smoking, driving, etc.). However, the age of majority is still 21 in many places (e.g. age at which you can vote, sign legal documents independently, get married without parental consent, etc.)

Heedo at this point is Korean 19, but in the rest of the world, she’s still 18. Likewise for Yijin’s who’s actually 22, and therefore very young at the workplace (your brain isn’t fully developed until you’re 25). I actually have this issue with students here where we extend certain privileges to senior students at 17, and the Koreans come to us insisting they are 17, but we check their records and tell them, sorry, you’re still 16 and they get upset. Banks here hold the age right to the actual birthdate here (so no internet banking and debit cards until you’re full 16!). 

When I was in senior high (or senior secondary as it is more accurately known here), I had a classmate who was dating someone in the uni and actually, many of us felt uncomfortable about it. It’s really about time of life and wanting very different things. That relationship didn’t last of course. Even hanging out would be based on different likes and activities. I found Yijin very responsible when he said this to Heedo early on, “High schoolers date high schoolers, adults date adults” when she asked him about his relationship with Yurim (I think? I hope I remembered right). 

In relation to their confessions therefore, I reckon Yijin never wanted to say anything if Heedo had not kept asking. He found her confession and reactions cute, but he clearly said he has nothing to worry nor think about - he was clear already in his head the feelings that were developing for her. If nothing else, he wanted to protect her. I think it started when he left Seoul for those many months. And then when she said to him, “I don’t think my feelings are that intense” he told her it did not matter. He wasn’t pressuring her. He simply said he loved her, and it’s not like his high school confessions of “saranghae”. He loved her, was in love with her person, was in love with loving her. Sho shweeet!!!:wow:

He’s still keeping that distance from her because I think he reckons her feelings to be more of a crush. Perhaps when they say at 21/25 they fall in love, it’s really Heedo’s readiness and maturity by then to grow into this love. 

I wonder what next weekend will bring though…

Edited by gilaswan
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

This drama continues to bring a warm, nostalgic and even melancholic view of youth. I loved episodes 9-10 too like you @gilaswan. I loved that the episodes were balanced by the comedic shenanigans of our young leads:laugh:

BYJ is such a refresing male lead, he confessed his feelings because he wanted to be honest with NHD but he did not pressure her to feel the same way or to start another level of their relationship. He is such an "oppa/hyung" to our high schoolers. He's literally the nanny to our gang during their summer vacation! hahahaha

On a serious note, I find adult NHD's comment sad yet realistic, however, I think the drama is purposely keeping secrets from us; I think adult NHD remembers her summer vacation, who wouldn't when it was so significant and memorable. There are many clues and secrets pertaining to BYJ's life as well.

1. Why did his father said that BYJ was his great consolation 10 years ago until now?  why 10 years ago? I do not think that this is a mere passing comment. Is BYJ adopted? or a son from his mother's previous marriage?

2. I noticed that his mother's surname is Kim. Is he a son from a previous marriage? will his father ask that they adopt the surname of their mother because of his debts in the future thus Minchae's surname is Kim?

I also agree with @gilaswan that NJH's eyes are very expressive, he expresses BYJ's longings and sadness really well from his eyes alone. I really pray for a happy life for all our leads especially BYJ. He deserves it, he's such a good person. It's very rare to come across a male lead in kdramaland such as he. Please writernim, make them happy, chebal!!!!:wow2::YesHalCat:

P.S.

I really anticipate that we jump timelines already when they are 25 and 21. NHD is really entertaining as a young girl but I want to see some maturity in her interactions with BYJ, he's forever waiting for her, it seems. I wish next week's episodes will be those episodes;)

Edited by Unnie0110
  • Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

People be getting strong on the adoption theory. I'm still on the bittersweet ending train, but I do feel suspicious as well because of how obvious the drama is pushing the sad ending. There's so many ways this ending could go - on whether the daughter is his, whether he's still with Hee Do and whether he's even alive. :thinking:

This person has a thread going for the adoption theory. I also have to add that I found it suss when they went on the school trip and the drama made each of the characters talk about their issues (mostly daddy issues as people's fathers had died, or divorced the mothers or were poor). And they never gave Yi Jin a chance to explain his. I mean, it could be obvious since most of the characters know his family went bankrupt and it hurts to talk about it...but it feels a little suss when dramas do something like that...like there's a deeper story to hide sometimes? :idk:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Thanks @Tofu for comfirming the confession line with stroppyse.

I am in love with you definitely gives more feel than I love you.

---

Episode 10

So right now Yi Jin is happy with just being able to love Hee Do and is not expecting to date her. It's lovely that he is content of with being able to love her and wish for her happiness but why do I feel a little sadden by this line? So many thoughts and possibilities of Yi Jin's word choice run through my head.

This episode finally made me feel nostalgic and teary whilst watching them having fun, the friendship, the free spirit... the memory... the youthfulness at that age we'll never able to return to anymore as we grow older and older. :cry:

Honestly wonder what happen to the older Ji Seung Wan. She might become a politician fighting for a cause is what came into my mind since the scene of her "podcast". As the friendship grew, I'm getting really curious of how everyone turns out. Is Ji Woong going to pursue music? Yurim and Hee Do obviously went on for years with their fencing career... Yurim potentially could end up being a coach and was she able to help pay off her family's debt? Yi Jin obviously continued to be a journalist of the sort but how far did he go?

Yi Jin facing discrimination at work was so sad. Life is hard enough for these people who had to drop out of school because of IMF and these so-called adults rather than being sympathetic, are making it even harder for anyone who went through the same experience as Yi Jin. That conversation/advice his sunbae gave him about apologising was so on point and realistic.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I last visited JH. Real life has been taking up all of my time.

I recently started this and it's so good I breezed through all 10 episodes (and sacrificed precious sleep). 

I don't have a lot of information about this drama prior to watching so I am not sure what to expect. I am HOPING that we will get a happy ending because Hee-Do and Yijin are just so ADORABLE together. I love that their love and respect for each other grew out of friendship and that it was gradual. I love how patient and respectful Yijin is towards Hee-Do. Despite his feelings for her, he doesn't pressure her. Being older, he is more aware of his feelings and yet he doesn't try to tell her how she feels or put a label on her feelings for him.

It's cute that Yijin finds Hee-do's innocence and straightforwardness adorable. Nam Joo-Hyuk is perfect for this role because he has such expressive facial expressions - he has a way of showing sadness, interest and curiosity in his eyes. I adored him in Weightlifting Fairy and The Light in Your Eyes and I love him in this one as well.

My favourite scenes so far:

• When Hee-do takes Yijin to the sink with the faucets and she thinks turning the faucets upside down and spraying water was so hilarious. Yijin didn't know how to react in the beginning bec it was so simple - like something only a child would find fascinating and yet he entertains her and sincerely thanks her for it.
  • When Yijin and Hee-do fence and he tricks her and wins. This scene was momentous for me because you can see Yijin being aware of Hee-do's proximity to him. I think this was the moment he starts to realize he likes her.
  • Yijin and Hee-do repeatedly listening to each others messages
  • When Yijin confronts Hee-do about why she's avoiding him and she just says she's confused and bangs her head on the wall and he just chuckles at how adorable she is. I love that he doesn't tell her or describe her feelings for her. He just lets her figure it out for herself.
  • When Yijin meets "sweetie pie". Priceless :lmao2:
  • When Hee-do goes looking for Yijin's dad. She knew how much it meant to him and she ran all over the place for 2 hours just trying to find him.
  • When Yijin tells Hee-do and Yurim he's going to be filming a documentary and Hee-do protests as she doesn't want to look bad again. Yijin's reply "what am I to you?" was so significant.
  • When Yijin confesses on the bridge. I love that he is honest with how he feels but doesn't put pressure on her. He just wanted to tell her how he felt without any expectation.

I can't seem to figure out how things are going to progress in the next few episodes and it's killing me! 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

Episode 11

• Yi Jin's pink pencil case! :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2: Ok, now that pencil case really brings back memories. Ahahahahaha!

• Yi Jin brought it on himself for being dragged onto the stage. Who told him to go and tell off the club members and show off his seniority in the first place :laugh: - the guitar playing though... was so fake. I do kinda wish NJH would at least pretended to really play the chords. Nonetheless, from Yi Jin's perspective, it was definitely another happy memory for him for sure.

• Netizens have pointed out the photo of herself that Hee Do didn't sign up for, which Yi Jin did was in the photo album that her daughter was looking at. So Netizens think Yi Jin and Hee Do had to have gotten together to have both their photos in one album. Hmm. I hope so.

• Glad to see the misunderstanding between Hee Do and Mum was resolved. I feel sorry for the mother because during that time, it must be way harder for her to prove herself in a sexist society than now. Plus if she hadn't show her professionalism to keep her job, they might eventually face financial problem with Hee Do's Dad passing. Regardless, she had to bulldozer through for the both of them as the only breadwinner now. I'm glad Yi Jin was able to help Hee Do see this.

NEW STILLS

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 4