Reflections of 2021

stroppyse

What did you think of 2021 drama-wise? Was it a great year, good year or just a so-so year for drama watching? Or did you check out altogether?

Tell us what you watched, or at least, remembered watching, then give us a few thoughts about them! What did you like, not like? Would you recommend them?

What dramas did you end up dropping?

Since it's not the end of the year yet, feel free to come back and edit your post, or write new posts as your feelings and recall changes!

• Like 6
  • Party! 1

2021 was an interesting year in terms of drama watching. I normally prefer lighter, brighter dramas to counteract the all too real fears and uncertainties of real life. However, this year, I found myself watching very few comedies or rom-coms.  So, what did I watch? Some dramas that come to mind for this year.

edit: In the interest of not making this post an impossibly long wall of text, I'm putting my mini-reviews/comments in spoilers. Also, there might be some spoilers.

Vincenzo

Spoiler

Song Joong Ki plays an anti-hero as a former Italian mafia consigliere Vincenzo who is just trying to recover the loot that he had hidden along with a Chinese mafia guy who had conveniently died before they could reclaim the gold. The literal gold bars had been hidden in the vault in the secret basement of a multi-tenant, multi-story building full of owners of small businesses and a makeshift Buddhist temple. A big bad Bio corporation wants the land the building is on so that they can build another over-developed skyscraper to show that they have the might to do so. Vincenzo bemusedly finds himself teaming up with the other tenants to bring down the big bad corporation.

This was not a perfect drama by any means. The ever affable Ok Taecyeon was probably over his head in trying to portray the evil mastermind of the corporation, though it was fun while he was hiding out as a lowly intern at that same corporation. Several scenes are played for laughs which were at times jarring with SJK's straight delivery and trademark quiet intensity.

However, it was fun, and the other tenants of the building proved surprisingly adept at fighting back when actual push came to shove. Jeon Yeo Been playing the force of nature Hong Cha Yong deftly handled the character's arc of being rather unlikable in her attitude of winning at any cost to becoming a sympathetic character who cared about setting things straight.

Squid Game

Spoiler

Is there anyone left who has not watched this drama? A scathing social commentary about the depths people can go and how desperation and personal nature can take them there. A mysterious conglomerate brings together people who are financially desperate together to play children's games against each other for a chance at a grand prize. The hook? If you lose a game along the way, you die violently and absolutely. Then the absolute kicker is that the participants manage to stop the game, but finding that being out in the real world means that they still all of their financial woes, most of them head back in, even knowing that there is a chance that they will die.

The hero Gi Hun is the one member we see who holds onto his humanity and still manages to survive game after game. He's not a perfect person. We're shown how circumstances took him from being a good husband and father to being a divorced, jobless bloke living off his mother. However, in the midst of the greed and the bloodlust, he's able to hold on and try to do as right as possible until the end.

Racket Boys

Spoiler

This drama was an unexpected joy in its story of a middle school badminton team coming together and competing despite various challenges. While it also gave us a bigger picture of the village that the boys came from, giving us plenty of commentary of small town versus big city attitudes and lifestyles, it was really the story of 5 guys who made up the Haenam Boys Middle School badminton team along with 2 girls who played for the Haenam Girls Middle School team.

The kids learned about camaraderie, friendship, and love while being there for each other both on and off the court. Hae Kang, the main lead went from being a badminton prodigy to quitting the sport over how little it was respected to coming back to the sport that he ultimately loved. He also learned some lessons about losing as well as developing his first love who fortunately liked him back. The other kids all had different challenges to overcome as they dealt with growing up as well as playing their sport.

Come to the Witch's Restaurant

Spoiler

Not exactly what I was expecting. It starts off like a revenge thriller gone wrong, but ends up being about families and taking responsibility for one's choices, even when they are hard or leave regrets, or perhaps, especially when they are hard and leave regrets.

Song Ji Hyo as the titular witch and Nam Ji Hyun as a reluctant trainee are both experienced, talented actresses who demonstrate a high degree of chemistry, even when they seemed to nominally be opposing each other.

Newbie Chae Jong Hyeop who seems to be everywhere right now plays the younger man who develops a crush on Nam Ji Hyun's character and is willing to be her sidekick, eternally supporting her, even if he can't be her partner.

Deluxe Taxi

Spoiler

An actual revenge thriller about a premium gypsy cab company that also handles revenge for victims who are unable to bring their assailants to justice. The cab company is helmed by a man who is lauded for his humanitarian efforts and crewed by people who believe in what they are doing, even as they deal out vigilante justice that causes them to compromise with some devils.

Lee Je Hoon as the ex-solder Kim Do Gi who is recruited to join the Deluxe Taxi company after he finds his mother murdered and her murderer walking away free turns in another restrained performance as he deals out violence while keeping his inner qualms in check.

Kim Eui Sung plays the CEO of the taxi company as well as the head of the good works foundation who knowing makes a deal with a human trafficker in order to bring others to justice.

Despite the dark material, this drama is a lot of fun. The revenges are satisfying, though they also bring up the question of whether vigilante justice is really the right thing to do.

Also watched that I liked:

Law School

Hospital Playlist 2

Revolutionary Sisters

Superior Shaman Ga Doo Shim

The Uncanny Counter

One the Woman

Happiness

Dramas that I watched that I was ultimately meh about:

Navillera

Oh! Samgwang Villa

Dal Li and Gamjatang

Be A Meal

Dramas that I dropped or did not finish (yet):

Hometown Cha Cha Cha

Bossam

The Devil Judge

L.U.C.A.

Mad For Each Other

Mouse

National Team Wife

The Veil

Penthouse 3

Jirisan

Ongoing Dramas

Gentleman and Young Lady

Let Me Be Your Knight

Now, We Are Breaking Up

This list is subject to edits as I have more time and/or remember more. :lmao2:

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

Thanks for creating this, @stroppyse! I watched a lot of dramas/movies this year compared to all the other years. Being apart of JangHaven, I found myself watching Japanese, Thai, and Taiwanese dramas again. Prior to this year, majority of the dramas I watched was Korean and some Chinese. You'll see from my extremely long list that I made use of working from home. :laugh:

I went back and forth on how I should create my list and in the end, decided that I will count anything I finished in 2021, even though I started some of them back in 2020. I have a tendency to drop dramas and then go back to finish them later on. There are a few of those on my list and there's a chance some of my dropped dramas will be on my completed list next year too. Haha!

I should also add a disclaimer that majority of my completed dramas were not watched in full. I tend to fast forward through scenes that I don't think are pertinent to the storyline (mainly for Chinese dramas). I have also watched a drama solely for the second couple and skip the main couple's storyline. I still consider that as a completed drama even though the second couple's scene, at most, would fill up 1-2 episodes of a 36 episodes drama. IF there's one drama I watched in full without skipping, it's Hot Stove League. I'm sure I watched other dramas in full, but for now, that's the only drama I remember. :psweatduck:

I highlighted in orange the dramas I enjoyed and recommend to anyone who's looking for something to watch. 

Thai Lakorns/Movies
Completed

Spoiler

Fah Mee Tawan

Hua Jai Sila

Mae Krua Kon Mai

My Husband in Law

Ugly Duckling Series: Perfect Match

Dropped

Spoiler

Mia Archeep

Praomook

Japanese Doramas/Movies
In Progress

Spoiler

Konin Todoke ni Han wo Oshita dake desu ga

Completed

Spoiler

Kanojo wa Kirei datta (Japanese version of the Korean drama, She Was Pretty)

Koi wa Tsuzuku yo Doko Made mo

Nee Sensei, Shiranai no?

Watashitachi wa Douka Shiteiru

Your Eyes Tell (Japanese version of the Korean movie, Always)

Dropped

Spoiler

Coffee Ikaga Deshou

Kikazaru Koi ni wa Riyuu ga Atte

Love Is Phantom

Chinese Dramas/Movies
In Progress

Spoiler

None, I dropped them all. Haha!

Completed

Spoiler

Adoring

Begin Again

Crush

Duoluo Continent

Fall in Love

Fall in Love with a Scientist

First Love Again

Forever Love

Go Go Squid!

Legend of Fei

Love O'Clock

Love The Way You Are

Make My Heart Smile

Midsummer Is Full of Love

Miss Crow with Mr. Lizard

Miss the Dragon

Moonlight

My Girlfriend is an Alien

My Little Happiness

No Boundary

Once We Get Married

One and Only

Our Times (Ending is open-ended because there's a second season, but still a good drama)

Out of the Dream

Perfect and Casual

Rattan

Sweet Teeth

The Blessed Girl

The Day of Becoming You

The Long Ballad

The Yin Yang Master

The Yin-Yang Master: Dream of Eternity

Unforgettable Love

Upcoming Summer

Way Back Into Love

You Are My Hero

Dropped

Spoiler

Ancient Love Poetry

Forever and Ever

Girlfriend

Good Bye, My Princess

Hello Mr. Gu

Jun Jiu Ling

Love at Night

Make a Wish

My Bargain Queen

My Dear Guardian

Octogenarian and the 90s

Our Secret

Ping Pong Life

Rebirth For You

Skate into Love

Stand By Me

Stop! Miss Hua

Summer Again

The Bond

The Flaming Heart

The Imperial Coroner

Truth or Dare

Use for My Talent

You Are My Glory

Korean Dramas/Movies
In Progress

Spoiler

Let Me Be Your Knight

Our Beloved Summer

Completed

Spoiler

18 Again

A Love So Beautiful

Beyond Evil

Bossam: Steal the Fate

Collectors

Dal-Li and Gamjatang

Duel

Hot Stove League

Law School

Monthly Magazine Home

Move to Heaven

Navillera

Nevertheless,

Oh My Ladylord

Please Don't Date Him

River Where the Moon Rises

Reflection of You

Run On

Seobok

Shark: The Beginning

Sweet & Sour

Taxi Driver

The Great Shaman Ga Doo Shim

The Uncanny Counter

The Witch's Diner

Voice 4: Judgment Hour

Dropped

Spoiler

Doom at Your Service

Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha

Mouse

My Name

My Roommate Is a Gumiho

Police University

The Veil

Vincenzo

You Are My Spring

The King's Affection

Would You Like a Cup of Coffee?

Lovers of the Red Sky

Squid Game

Sweet Home (Might be in progress forever...LOL!)

Taiwanese Dramas/Movies
In Progress

Spoiler

Someday or One Day

Rainless Love in a Godless Land

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 4

I don't think I've found my best drama 2021. Last year was Sweet Home. Not sure I'll be able to pick one this year.

However, so far personally I'd say:

Meaningful:

1. Navillera
  2. Move to Heaven

Enjoyable & Fun:

1. Racket Boys
  2. Vincenzo
  3. Yumi's Cells

Swooning Romance:

1. She Would Never Know
  2. You Are My Glory
  3. The Red Sleeve

Enjoyable & Meaningful:

1. Happiness
Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 6
  • Clapping Hands 2

Another year passed so quickly :psweatduck:Okay I should share my achievement on watching drama in 2021. 

K Drama 

Favourite : Lost / Human Disqualification 

Why

- OTP have amazing sparks. They don't even need to say a word to cater on the feelings. They had the most beautiful kiss that I've seen this year. 

- Relatable life problems. 

- Beautiful dark cinematography and poetic lines delivered by the characters. 

FOREVER GRATEFUL TO @bairama!

As a result of my love for this drama I even bought Lost OST album. P.s I'm stingy when come to paying $$$ for merch, but this time take my money! 

Second favourite : Voice 4 

Why

- The case easy to follow and have good message to viewers. 

- The lead detective so charismatic. 

Spoiler

Kdramas that I watched and finish:

- Bossam

- Beyond Evil 

- Sell Your Haunted House 

- Times

- Monthly House Magazine

C Drama

Favourite : Miss Crow & Mr Lizard

Why :

- Beautiful OST

- Dashing Allen Ren Jia Lun (shallow as hell, yes hahaha... ) 

J Drama 

I enjoyed Konin Todoke, but it's still running. So had to see if this will become favourite or no.

Let's not talk about unfinished drama :pandascared: I have way too many, I can't even remember the titles. Actually this year the drama not that great for my taste somehow. Or probaly I have watched too many and become jaded. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Ahhh, I love writing lists :BulbaOWO: I think this may have been the most dramas I've watched in a year because of lockdown :BulbaConfused: 

This year was a great year for K-Dramas as I felt like I went from one strong series to another. I think I'm growing away from romance dramas and I like more meaningful series with social commentary. But was surprised to see that one of my favourite genres this year was oddly enough "Dark fantasy with mild romance", judging from the fact that Superior Sharman Ga Doo Shim, The Witch's Diner, Sell Your Haunted House, Bite sisters, Happiness, Doom at Your Service and Rainless in a Godless Land (TW drama) all fall under that category. 

It was probably a less strong year for TW-Dramas, seeing as I've only watched 2 series...but at least I really like what I'm currently watching. I also had a bunch of older K-Dramas that I finally made the time to watch (Hurrah - I have now completed Signal!)

KDrama :CharmanderYay:

Best Overall Dramas for 2021 :wow:

- Move to Heaven - Looking at what's meaningful and important in life through death

- Squid Game - One of the most cut-throat, fast-paced entertaining action dramas with deep social commentary

- Racket Boys - Light hearted, funny and inspiring...The joys of being a kid growing up in a warm country community

- Taxi Driver - Serving up all the self-made justice we wish we could have in this world

- The Witch's Diner - Another drama looking at the price of revenge, but with dark humour & subtle romance

- The Uncanny Counter - Unlikely superheroes that were also heartwarming to watch as a family

- Superior Sharman Ga Doo Shim - Short, sweet and fun to follow

Honourable Mentions for 2021 - Things I enjoyed a lot, though didn't impact me as deeply as the Best dramas  :popcorn:

- D.P

- Happiness

- The King's Affection

- Bite Sisters

- Beyond Evil

- Sell Your Haunted House

- Kingdom: Ashin of the North 

(Technically Kingdom: Ashin was a movie, but I guess it's part of the larger Kingdom franchise)

Other things I watched in 2021 - These were all ok to watch but I felt Run On was a bit 'meh' - the story was pretty bland despite interesting dialogue and cool film references. Monthly Magazine Home had a terrible ending as well  :idk: 

- Run On

Doom at your Service

- True Beauty

- Hometown Cha Cha Cha

- Hello! It's Me 

- Monthly Magazine Home

Older Series I completed - I've sort of excluded the non 2021 series from the above categories. I really liked all of these except I felt A Piece of Your Mind was a bit 'meh' overall due to annoying side characters :idk:

- Hot Stove League 

- When the Weather is Fine 

- Miss Hammurabi 

- A Piece of Your Mind 

- Signal

- Memories of the Alahambra

Currently watching :MonkaTang:

- One Ordinary Day

- Melancholia

Dropped :pandasleep:

- You are My Spring

- Sweet Home

- Jirisan

TWDramas :heart:

- Devil's Punisher - Quite meh, it really fell apart as a series

-Rainless in a Godless Land - Loving this

CDramas  :MewHi:

- Use for Your Talent - Super meh

- Fall in Love with a Scientist - Indefinite hiatus (Sorry Jasper, I tried to be supportive!) :letalQQ:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Dramas/movies I watched in 2021

1. Space Sweepers (K-movie) - made me reflect on our environment and the future of earth

2. Vincenzo

3. Monthly Magazine Home - made me think about the meaning of home

4. Forbidden Dream (K-movie, sageuk) *

5. Hometown ChaChaCha (stop watching after episode 10, plus I started Dal Li and Gamjatang) - watched it because I was interested in story about village

6. Dal Li and Gamjatang - I was interested in story about art museum and business management

7. Secret Royal Inspector and Jo Yi (stop watching after 10 episodes)

Postponed/unfinished yet

1. Yong Jiu Grocery Store (Taiwanese drama - 3 more episodes)

2. The Great King Sejong * (done 2 episodes, I need more time for it because it has 80 episodes)

* My personal project to watch drama/movie related to King Sejong

My favorite/most enjoyable

It may be subjective. I don't talk about the best drama nor the most perfect drama. I just like them because I enjoy them the most.

1. Vincenzo - after the drama ended, I still like to know about details, background, inspiration related to it. 

2. Dal Li and Gamjatang

Edited by ssteph
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

What, another year almost end again?? I cant believe how time flew really fast.

So my dramas watching this year are quite a lot but here r some that I have completed and liked it.

1. Mouse

I watched this when everyone has done with it. Binged warching it for almost a week was really satisfying. I amazed with how well it was written and played by those talented actors. The story tells from the villain perspectives

2. Law School

Again binged watching this is just really fun. I dont have much time to watch and honestly this kind of need more thought drama is much enjoyable to marathon with. You don't need to suffer the curiousity cuz you just can quickly tap to the next available episodes. Mr. Yangcrates becomes a symbol of a how a teacher should be. Haha. I watched and I dont just get the fun but also some moral lessons through this. 

3. Hello, me!

A healing drama, easy watch but have some essence of meaningful lesson of how we could improve the self-esteem and loving ourselves.

4. Hometown Chachacha

It's about life and the people of a seaside hometown in Gongjin. It gives me kind of healing vibe of how do we overcome our past and focus on the present and future.

5. Vincenzo

I think this is all about hero vs the villain battle that always be 1-1. First round the villain win then the next round the villain knocked down by the hero. And it goes on and on. It is frustrating but fun in the same time.

I think those six that I finished well and remained as my faves from this year kdramas album.

Next we go to C land,

1. Miss Crow and Mr. Lizzard

This is the only cdrama of this year which I watch fully without any skip or fast forwarding the scenes. 

2. From One and Only to Forever and Ever

It is actually a drama in two chapters of reincarnation story. I liked the one and only has much better pacing and plot. While Forever and ever is much more like a slow burn romance with a touch of political intrigues in the family. 

Many other dramas that unfinished yet, dropped completely, or just ended and forgotten as time passed by. 

I'm belong to that rare entity @SilverMoonTea lols. 

P.S. Can you merge my post above so it can be look neat, lol. I accidently touched submit before I finish typing all this.

Edited by SilverMoonTea
Merged
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

:psweatduck: why do I feel like final exam is coming? :PsyWhat:

I will come back asap to share my list. Now, lots of RL matters to attend to, not to mention new episodes requiring catch-ups. 

The thread topic almost throws me off. I thought this is a twin thread of Reflection of You :pandahehe:

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Thanks for the shoutout @SilverMoonTea! Sad to say, my viewing fare is still as woeful as 2020, but anyway, in no particular order...

Move to Heaven

At its core, it is a poignant look at life through the final unspoken wishes of the departed; a beautiful, aching lens into life's fleeting nature, the need to embrace and treasure those we love before it is too late. An undoubted gem of 2021, that wrung my tears dry and introduced me to the amazing Tang Joonsang.

Spoiler

Racket Boys

I went in for the badminton premise, and stayed for the characters, young and old, who consistently make me love them more and more with each passing week, rooting for each of them through their ups and downs, cheering and crying with them every step of the way. Definitely my weekly happy pill.

Spoiler

Moebius:The Veil

It is an ironic, unexpected addition to the list as I had not watched the main drama before that. However, it drew me in from the get-go, gripping and tightly paced, characters well-fleshed out despite its brevity and I cared for them and their unique bond far more than I did anyone in The Veil, which I then watched because of it.

Spoiler

Law School

It is high drama within a law school setting, and I often find myself rolling my eyes over the theatrics that appear to have unreasonable amount of leeway within a courtroom. Nonetheless, it is the Hankuk Law Squad, their individual journeys and relationships with each other that had me utterly invested to the end. Is it telling that I was far more stressed waiting for Sol-A's results than identifying the real killer? 

Spoiler

Kingdom: Ashin of the North

Brutal, devastating, chilling, each layer peeled off with deliberate precision, gradually laying bare the extent of betrayal that almost justifies the exacting vengeance that ensued, and the tragic reveal at the end. In particular, Jun Jihyun and Kim Si-a embody Ashin's tortured journey, esp JJH whose eyes emote so much with so few words, her cold, dead eyes at the end reflecting the state of a soul that died long ago.

Spoiler

Jirisan

If Signal was written on the premise of "Can Lee Jaehan be saved?", was Jirisan written based on "Can Kang Hyunjo be free?" It is a work in progress, but by the halfway mark, it holds a strong place in my heart despite a sometimes uneven delivery. Its semi-documentary depiction of the extent of the rangers' responsibilities and conservation message is well-woven into the fabric of the narrative, giving us fresh respect for the men and women who put themselves on the line on a regular basis. Plotwise, it continues to keep me drawn in on an emotional and cerebral level, even as I grow to care more and more for each core character. Fingers crossed it will outdo itself to the end.

Spoiler

琉璃 Love and Redemption

Strictly speaking, this is a 2020 Cdrama but am including it as I only watched it this year. Never a fan of the xianxia genre but Crystal Yuan's impeccable delivery of Xuanji's cluelessness in the early episodes kept me watching and I ended up loving the dynamics between the characters (leads and supporting) and their individual character growth. 

与君歌 Stand by Me / Dream of Chang'an

The Cdrama that introduced me to Cheng Yi, though Han Dong's Prince Guang remains my favourite character in the drama. The romance itself never appealed to me, but I loved the riveting multi-pronged battle of wits, the measured plans that are laid, and the bleakness of its ending.

Cold Case S3

Strictly speaking, this Jdrama started end of 2020, but overlapped into 2021. After the disappointment with S2, it is so satisfying to see everything I loved about S1 making a comeback here, excellent adaptations of the source material and equally interesting original episodes - haunting, painful, with or without closure at the end.

Signal SP and movie

The SP is a very well made J-adaptation of the Shin Da Hye case in the original, ingeniously tying the case and its perpetrator to the mystery behind Nakamoto's murder from the drama finale while giving the case its own twist, and a far kinder fate. The movie on the other hand, takes on a totally fresh plot apart from the original drama. Although there are too many unnecessarily drawn-out action scenes, it ultimately brings us one step closer to closure as far as the dynamics between the trio is concerned, while leaving us with an ending that leaves the doors open for another story.

Dramas dropped

My Roommate is a Gumiho

This is an oddity because I really loved it in the beginning - captivated from the start by a big fluffy gumiho and zany girl obsessed with chicken, and loving how the narrative is imbued with a nice balance of tears, hilarity and sweetness without treading into saccharine territory or drawn out estrangement. Yet, somewhere along the way, I dropped it after the halfway mark and never got around to finishing it. Should I revisit?

Daebak Real Estate

Yet another one that I really enjoyed in the beginning, but somehow ended up dropping after losing interest and never quite going back.

Deluxe Taxi

Came for Lee Jehoon, but even he could not keep me on board after several episodes due to the drawn out violence.

上阳赋 Rebel Princess

For the most part, I enjoyed the narrative and ensemble performances, but when life beckoned, I never quite found any reason to pick it up again.

Edited by liddi
  • Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

@liddiGumiho I also dropped around ep 12, as I have bad SLS and rooting for the tiger sunbae. It was very funny at the beginning, but lost it steam once the romance swing to full gear. Her initial upbeat and cheerful character has become dull and depressed after tangled in love with the gumiho. I will say no need to revisit.

I didn't know you watched Dream of ChangAn. I also liking Cheng Yi from this drama. I drawn more to the OTP chemistry instead of the politics. But I have to admit the plot twist is quite interesting, eventhough sometimes getting draggy as well. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@SilverMoonTea Thank you for the advice regarding My Roommate is a Gumiho. Will leave it then as I've been given a new assignment after my completing my foray into espionage, right @ktcjdrama:laugh: 

I noticed that you included Voice 4 in your list. Had thought of starting it when it aired, but changed my mind, opting to complete S2 and start S3 first. Will give it a go after I do finish S3.

• Like 4
  • Party! 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

lets me see lols..... @SilverMoonTea

well this are couple of dramas that i really do watch after all lols i didnt really watch a lot this year....

1. The Sword and Brocade

2. You're My Hero

3. You're My Glory

4. The Imperial Coroner

5. Please Feel At Ease Mr. Ling

6. Make My Heart Smile

7. I Can't Afford A Maid

8. Hello Mr. Gu

9. Falling Into Your Smile

10. Cry Me a River of Stars

11. Cute Dimple in Love

12. My Dear Guardian

13. She Is The One

• Like 5
  • Party! 3
On 11/5/2021 at 3:21 PM, stroppyse said:

Also watched that I liked:

Deluxe Taxi

Law School

Hospital Playlist 2

Come to the Witch's Restaurant

Revolutionary Sisters

Superior Shaman Ga Doo Shim

The Uncanny Counter

One the Woman

I think we had a big overlap with what we watched and liked including Racket Boys and Squid Game @stroppyse :CharmanderYay:

On 11/15/2021 at 11:16 PM, ssteph said:

Yong Jiu Grocery Store (Taiwanese drama - 3 more episodes)

I'm glad this drama is being watched! I love the commnuity feeling of this drama. It was one of my favourites last year...and one of my all time favourite Taiwanese dramas  :heart:

On 11/16/2021 at 3:10 AM, ktcjdrama said:

:psweatduck: why do I feel like final exam is coming? :PsyWhat:

Hahaha probably because you watch the most dramas! :lol:

I also thought this was a Reflection of You thread at first and was confused why I was being tagged  :laugh:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

2 hours ago, Dhakra said:

I guess I will share my list soon aswell, just want to make sure to add 'Happiness' aswell. Traditionally I haven't watched as many dramas this year and soon my Weightlifting Fairy Rewatch is happening aswell. Must be the 5th time watching. 

I love Weightlifting Fairy. :heart: One of my all time favourites! But I almost never rewatch dramas except for the clips and favourite scenes. It's hard to replicate the magic of the first watch for me. :idk: Also I can barely keep up with my new dramas as it is :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am sure no one can beat @Tofu Have you seen her list? 😱😆

If I counted how many dramas I finished from beginning to end, it's probably a third of that list. Haha! I have a short attention span so many times I watch the first two or three episodes and then the last episode. I tell @SilverMoonTea all the time that completed dramas are meant for me because of how quickly I move on. I get the introduction and the happy ending with none of the stress. :lmao2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the shout out@SilverMoonTea

I have a feeling that I didn't watch as many dramas as I did last year because I've picked up more work and there weren't so many lockdown days.

Most enjoyable ones from the year aka Top Tier

K dramas

Beyond Evil (Still my favourite)

Hospital Playlist 2 (Very close second)

Taxi Driver

Racket Boys

Law School

The Devil Judge

Dali and the Cocky Prince

C dramas

The Imperial Coroner

Stand By Me

You are My Hero

You are My Glory

Reborn (it's a 2020 drama)

Middle Tier...

K dramas

My Roommate is a Gumiho (started off better than it ended -- not a lot of character development)

Vincenzo ( got a bit repetitive towards the end) 

Voice 4 (good but for some reason I can't put it in the top tier category)

The Veil (same as Voice 4)

Mad for Each Other (good if you don't mind overacting; unnecessary makjang at the end)

Squid Game (good concept but hard to connect with characters)

Move to Heaven (best part were the two male leads, emotionally manipulative)

Sell Your Haunted House (waited for the romance... still waiting)

Hometown (liked the intriguing premise but the final act... not so much)

C dramas

The Long Ballad (Wu Lei wasted in the final act)

My Bargain Queen (Starts off good but fizzles off towards the end -- too many episodes)

Unforgettable Love (fun trashy rom com)

She is the One (another fun trashy rom com)

Disappointments...

K dramas

Awaken (Namgoong Min carried this one like Atlas carried the world on his shoulders)

Myth of Sisyphus (should have been 12 episodes)

Dark Hole (what a waste of Lee Joon-hyuk)

C dramas

Medical Examiner Dr Qin: Silent Evidence (good actors wasted on rom com tropes saved by some decent investigative work)

The Detective (had potential but wasted on rom com tropes)

Ones I started but didn't finish...

K dramas

LUCA (too overwrought)

Hometown Cha Cha Cha (don't like most of the characters, humour doesn't land for me)

Doom at Your Service (like the end of Bohemian Rhapsody)

Mouse (may get back to it some time)

C dramas

The Sword and the Brocade (romance was exciting as munching on cardboard)

Truth (surprisingly dull)

The Justice (unlikeable female lead ruins the whole experience)

Still watching...

The King's Affection

Jirisan

Chimera

DP

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

I'm going to call this early, but looking across everyone's answers, it looks like most people really liked: :heart:

-Law School

-Move to Heaven

-Racket Boys 

-Vincenzo

And for C-Dramas...You are my Glory, of course :laugh: I have heard wayyy too much about this drama that I haven't watched :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mademoiselle said:

:cool: It's a sign. Watch it. :MewGiggle:

Hahaha I'm more tempted by Law School :laugh: I'm not sure why I didn't watch it when it was live since Kim Bum was one of my early Oppas (along with Gong Yoo and Jung Yong Hwa) but probably was something taking up my time in real life and I had to prioritise. It's going on my future catch up list though. :MewHi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1