@mademoiselle I cannot stomach the quality of the local Chinese dramas in Malaysia. And I did grow up in a family where everyone watched HK dramas. We  do speak Cantonese at home ( or a mix of it with English) . Before Astro we even rented CDs/ DVDs etc. My granddad even rented videos. These were the days when the quality of HK dramas were still okay. Got worse over time , sad to say. 

• Haha 5

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Just now, mademoiselle said:

@SilverMoonTea @abs-oluteM Mwo. You guys never watch any of your local shows?! Not even free on air?! I might have seen The Little Nyonya, I'm not sure. I just remember following whatever the family is watching at the time. So if my aunt rented series of Singaporean or Taiwanese (Qiong Yao) dramas, I would definitely be watching them. Malaysian's I believe I've also seen a few. I stopped watching after coming here because no source (rental or download) and internet streaming was non-existence.

@abs-oluteM Used to watch free on air HK dramas too but also stopped at some point, especially when ASTRO was introduced. 🤣 We only have one TV at home so what I can watch is limited.

P.S. I shouldn't say. I also don't watch any local shows here 😂. I did used to watch Neighbours since there was nothing to watch at that time slot, other than Home & Away, but boy it was super loooooong series. Life definitely got so much better when we started to have ADSL.

I don't even have the free one. I think I lost the remote control to watch the local news / show... Don't even know how to turn the free one, last time we have 😂 

Anyway don't even have enough time for all K drama & C drama. So don't even bothered with S drama 😆 I think their topic mostly is family problem. 

I also know more of H/T actors / actresses. As I following their gossip when I got bored 😂 I knew a lot of old T drama series of Qiong Yao too, I grew up watching that. The Tattoed Flower traumatized me back then 😂, as it ended with suicide of the FL character. My parents allowed me to watch, so... well... haha...

https://www.chinawhisper.com/top-10-most-popular-tv-series-of-qiong-yao/

• Haha 6

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

@mademoiselle I know Zoe Tay!! Love her, and agree that she ages well. I like her better than Fann Wong who was always being compared to her. I do like FW too. And her husband, but yeah, I guess Li Nan Xing is still the oppa from Spore for me. Just okay with Chen Han Wei. The one Spore drama that stood out for me is Tofu Street, also because of the beautiful OST. The rest that I've ever watched, I had forgotten already, haha...

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@abs-oluteM Not sure why but it seems like my aunt might not be into HK series as much coz I don't remember her renting cantonese series. When I was old enough to create a rental account myself, I did rent a lot of videos myself, including HK movies (mostly due to HK/TW Oppa) 😂 I tried to rewatch an old period movie I saw on Netflix by Aaron Kwok and it was soooo cringy. Yeah I heard about the drop in quality... how there's a mixture of Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese in them...?

@SilverMoonTea HK dramas also a lot of makjang and family related kind. Revenge theme too. Hahaha. Gosh. Maybe that's why I had enough of drama / makjang these days.

Ahahahahahaha you're so funny. What you said reminded me the first TV I have memory of. It was so antique I don't know which year it was made. No remote control and you have to pull this slot out and adjust for channels. I remember my finger would get sore from adjusting. I don't know how to explain it and couldn't find an image from Google. The adjustment thing is neither a knob or buttons.

Qiong Yao's older stories are almost always bad/sad endings. True, I watched The Tattooed Flower too. It was a 3-parts collection and my favourite is actually the Ghost Husband. The original of the Ghost Husband is bad/sad ending too but the drama version gave them a happy ending. I didn't watch 2, 5, 7, 8 and 9 coz I've no memory of them.

@ktcjdrama Fann Wong was good too. They were the generation of SG celebs that I know. I wouldn't know any new ones after them LOL. Li Nan Xing has this 痞痞 look which I no longer like in men. Bwahahaha! Chen Han Wei used to have such good image... what was that teacher drama he was in, 陽光列車?Something like that which I used to love. I could barely remember the names anymore too. I did like one where they talk about how the Chinese left China and settled down in Singapore, their hardships to make a living etc. I just don't remember if it was The Little Nyonya or another similar drama.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2

@mademoiselle HK dramas are quite makjang and cringy ...and in some ways they are like the Korean dailies ( or even weekend dramas) . Very much telenovela in style. But I didn't mind them then since we didn't have the sort of good quality kdramas that we see now - so no room for comparison. Maybe that's why I can still stomach the more makjang stuff thanks to all that childhood training I had :laugh:

By the way , Lee Je Hoon seems to look ageless. I forget he is 38 this year but can pass off as late 20s

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

22 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Chen Han Wei used to have such good image... what was that teacher drama he was in, 陽光列車?Something like that which I used to love. I could barely remember the names anymore too. I did like one where they talk about how the Chinese left China and settled down in Singapore, their hardships to make a living etc. I just don't remember if it was The Little Nyonya or another similar drama.

I definitely did not watch The Little Nyonya. I think you're thinking of Samsui Women? The ladies with the red hat. That was a good one too, although I can barely remember the plot anymore. I like Chen Han Wei in that teacher drama too. I remember there is one teacher drama that had the FL keep saying "aiyoyo" Was that the same one? Do you remember that?

16 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

By the way , Lee Je Hoon seems to look ageless. I forget he is 38 this year but can pass off as late 20s

:wow: but I think this one clip is using filter lah....

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

With all your posts on the SG/TW dramas, I gather you guys are not that young too 😂

I also grew up on HK dramas, from the time of Chu Liu Xiang with Adam Cheng 😱 and Lin Ching Hsia and her love triangle with Qin Han / Qin Hsiang Lin. 

@mademoiselle I found that TW FL we were discussing some time back (from @SilverMoonTea's link). This is the one. She used to act in all the sob stories and we always cry. One of her popular drama was rebooted with VIcky Zhao.

Ji-Du-Xi-Yang-Hong.jpg

SG dramas I haven't followed in the last 10-20+ years. So Zoe Tay/Li Nanxing were the last batch of actors I knew more about.

Zoe Tay - there was a drama a few years ago where she appeared but her complexion was quite bad. Pigmentation on the cheeks I think. There was some feedback and after that, she looked much better. Think she found a better asthetic clinic so she looks much better now. But at least she seems to be aging naturally - Fann Wong has done work on her face, it's so stiff now.

Li Nanxing - has had a tough few years and found God.

Chen Liping - is the aiyoyo teacher. She was quite stylish in the earlier dramas but she put on quite a bit of weight subsequently. She and her husband was also embroiled in the Slim10 saga where another celebrity had liver failure and sued them for marketing it.

Oh, and I had a dream a few nights ago and Andy Lau asked me to marry him! 🥰🥰🥰 So I think I'm going to re-watch some of his movies now 😂 I think he was my first poster on the wall. Such a hardworking man. I saw him from not being able to sing nor speak English to what he can do now 佩服.

ea7e61c8-c3bf-11e7-9f00-d8b0ccf89a9f_ima

• Haha 4
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
33 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Oh, and I had a dream a few nights ago and Andy Lau asked me to marry him! 🥰🥰🥰 So I think I'm going to re-watch some of his movies now 😂 I think he was my first poster on the wall. Such a hardworking man. I saw him from not being able to sing nor speak English to what he can do now 佩服.

🥳🥳🥳 Congratulations!! Hahahaa...

He is my first love too!! Still the best looking one for me out of the 四大天王 Four Heavenly Kings. 

And yes, thanks for reminding me the actress name is Chen Li Ping as the aiyoyo teacher. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 6

MTDzeiV.gif

13 hours ago, Chocolate said:

If you don't mind my asking, are you part Thai?

Spoiler

No, I'm not. I was born there though! Does that count? LOL!!

My parents were born and raise in Laos/Thailand, but their ancestors are from Southern China (ethnically part of the Miao people). 

A random note -- I think that's why Meet Yourself (the drama @SilverMoonTea is obsessed with) is familiar to me because the headdress and clothing are similar to what my grandparents wore when I was younger. They have adapted to Western clothing so they don't dress like that as much anymore. 

@Chocolate I support your marriage to Andy Lau too! Who is the other HK actor everyone likes? Is it Tony Leung? 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

@Chocolate Although Qiong Yao, if I'm not wrong, her most/first fame drama "Outside the Window" was acted by Ling Qing Xia. But those were so old I don't think I've ever seen it. So it was actually "Six Dreams" – Liu Xue Hua's "Mute Wife" that my journey of Qiong Yao's series began. To be honest, if I have the current mindset and watch Qiong Yao now I'd have off the TV straight away. All her stories are so unhealthy.

Hey, according to Wikipedia Liu Xue Hua is from Hong Kong!

Zoe Tay - nice that she got rid of the pigmentation. I've some brown pigments too. I don't even go under the sun deliberately so why am I getting them!? I'm not hard working enough to actively apply retinol especially after application of retinol, I'd have to apply sunscreens to the face all the time (I hate sunscreens and its smell) otherwise the pigmentation will become worse.

Chen Li Ping - Now that you said it, I suddenly remember she is the person saying "aiyoyo" and I definitely watch the drama but have no memory whatsoever what drama and its story, lol.

Andy Lau - Ahem, cheating on Hyun Bin in your dream eh?

@ktcjdrama How do you guys even remember who your first love is? LOLLL! I was told I love Andy Lau when I was really young but I've no memory of my love for him.

@Tofu That's interesting heritage.

Spoiler

I don't think I've ever met anyone from Miao group. I've met 2 from Hmong group on S forums.

• Haha 6
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Andy Lau - Ahem, cheating on Hyun Bin in your dream eh?

Hmm shouldn't liking HB be cheating on Andy ? :laugh: Andy was @Chocolate's first love ?

21 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

First love never dies :smug:

But my first love scandal is so bad....I think I might need therapy

giphy.gif

Spoiler

@Tofu Do you or your parents speak Thai? I consider Bangkok/ Thailand my second home country because I go there on a yearly pilgrimage to spend my money :lmao2:

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

First Love never dies, but someone also said that True Love can bury First Love. So go find your True Love now :smile: :heart:

But the person whom I thought was my true love also had some crazy stuff going on...

giphy.gif

Though he is fortunate to be able to bounce back a year later and have a fan meet in Manila recently

Spoiler

• Haha 6

22 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

But the person whom I thought was my true love also had some crazy stuff going on...

:thinking: I dare not yet suggest for you to find your last love.... :laugh: Gosh, I'll just share all my oppas with you. Forget your first love and your true love! Find new love!! 

@abs-oluteM come watch Meet Yourself and meet new oppa here. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@abs-oluteM Your first love....hahahaha! That scandal was pretty bad, but that's why you have lots of oppas. :laugh:

@mademoiselle I don't remember my first love either, but I do remember the first Korean actor I really liked. It was Lee Joon Ki. 

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

He's in other cheesy c drama

I forgot he's starring in this. Haha! I liked his movie from last year, but I have not enjoyed the dramas he's been in. 

I love seeing Li Xian in here. When he smiles and is super cheeky, I can't help watch him adoringly too. :heart:

@mademoiselle @abs-oluteM

Spoiler

Hmong is part of the Miao People too. There are groups within and Hmong is one of them. It's the closest culture to me. My parents are really traditional in some sense but they never really taught us about our culture, so I don't really understand it as much. :idk:

Abs -- My parents can speak a little Thai. It's been over 30 years since they lived there so they've forgotten a lot of the language. My dad periodically goes back to Laos so he can still understand a bit of Lao. I don't understand anything, but I can ask where is the bathroom in Thai. Hahaha! It's so cheap to fly within Asian countries once you're in Asia! We are researching our Singapore/Malaysia trip, and have decided to add Bali because it was going to cost only $60USD to fly there. In which, let me know if there's any carriers you think we should absolutely avoid. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 4
  • Haha 1

I totally can't answer first love question too :lmao2: 

Probably Pierce Brosnan ? I watched western oppa when I'm in kindergarten or primary school :laugh:

@ChocolateI know Chu Li Xiang too. The ost song quite nice and the costume was pretty. Though I like Michael Miu and Barbara Yeung version more. 

@TofuLJK is a good choice. I love him on Joseon Gunman. 

38 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Forget your first love and your true love! Find new love!! 

This is what I do everyday :smile:

• Haha 4
  • Party! 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

54 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

@abs-oluteM come watch Meet Yourself and meet new oppa here. 

I would love too , just that I don't have time to pick up a new show. I am supposed to be binging on Big Bet for the love of Son Suk Ku , even that is on hold. But I will bookmark this. 

I do have many oppas to love but Lee Hom & KSH were extra special ...so they really gave me trauma when their scandals broke out one after another...so now I believe in superficial love :lmao2:. I must learn from @SilverMoonTea

@Tofu

Spoiler

Do avoid Indonesian airlines like Lion Air and so on  (sorry to my Indonesian friends )  and even budget airlines like AirAsia ( even though AA is generally okay)  In the case of the former , I don't really trust their safety / maintenance. In Air Asia's case, it isn't good value for money as you end up paying almost the same as full service airlines after you add in everything. Also AA has a bad habit of delaying or retiming their flights ( ever since post Covid). 

Depending on where you are flying from I would most recommend Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines. Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is alright too if you're flying from KL. (MAS can have pretty good deals for Business Class  when they go on sale). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

more of Li Xian  Yes, I'm obsessed with my new love.

Around the 0:39 mark, it's the two A'Yaos together (A'Yao from Meet Yourself and A'Yao from Love Like the Galaxy). Hahaha! 

He's super adorable and really handsome. He has a drama that was aired but taken down last summer. I can't remember why but I think it was just not the right time because of how politic heavy it is. He'll have the Qing Dynasty hairstyle. LOL!!

Spoiler

He doesn't do that many dramas considering how many dramas China develops in a year. It's always nice when he has one. Although, I think I'll skip that Qing Dynasty one of his. LOL!

@abs-oluteM

Spoiler

Thank you! We're booking tickets this weekend or the upcoming weeks so this is really helpful!

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1