Lunar New Year 2021

stroppyse

2020 was a strange year, and 2021 is starting off with more of the same, though with more hope in the air than last year. And, it is almost time for the Lunar New Year as well.

In Korea, the lunar new year is called "Seol-lar" written 설날. It's a 3 day national holiday where many people usually visit their relatives. If they are married, it's considered fitting to visit both sets of relatives.

It is common to dress up in traditional clothing or at least their nicest clothing to pay their respects to the elders and also offer a feast table for their ancestors. Children perform deep bows to their parents, and in return receive "spending money" and words of wisdom from their parents. Dumplings and rice cake soup is the traditional fare, though there is usually a lot of food, both in types and quantities, prepared for seollar.

It is one of the major traveling holidays for Koreans, but this year with a pandemic going on, it is bound to be a restrained time with less traveling to see relatives. So, a lot of people are pondering how to celebrate Lunar New Year this year.

For us, it won't be as big a deal. While some families from overseas return for the festivities, my family did not do so. Rather, once they had moved overseas, my parents chose to observe a lot of the rituals of lunar new year on the gregorian calendar new year instead. It meant that growing up, instead of New Year's Eve parties, it was a time for family instead with games on New Year's Eve, then the bows to the parents on New Year's Day followed by our spending money and words of wisdom.

The one observation of the lunar new year that is kept in our family is the dumpling and rice cake soup that our mother would make for us to eat, sometimes without even telling us why. But we knew that if we had this soup in January or February, it was probably lunar new year.

Please share with us how you will celebrate the Lunar New Year? If you don't have a tradition of celebrating the Lunar New Year, do you have family traditions for the New Year instead, or is there another holiday that it reminds you of?

All responses to this thread will get a special Lunar New Year badge!

Happy Year of the Cow / Bull / Ox!

• Like 7
  • Party! 6

Though I don't actually celebrate Lunar New Year, it's the time of the year when there are lots of nian gao sold in the stores in attractive red boxes. Love that yummy delicacy!

If there wasn't a pandemic, the family would be dropping by the park nearby BK to watch the laser light show celebrating the occassion. 

Gong Xi Fa Chai! 🥳

Edited by MayanEcho
  • Like 7
  • Party! 6

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Growing up we always follow western holidays like Christmas and New Year only. I was not imposed to CNY tradition, only after few years in overseas I managed to get to know louhei, orange is a must, angpao is only given to unmarried, and saw the dragon dance too. 

0-Vhkik-USH3-K3mxu-e.jpg

Louhei pic cto.

I can't say if I really like the taste of it. But I gotta to eat them haha... 

This CNY I will just meet up my friends, and have some quiet low key celebration. And I just so want to take rest and tidy up my house. (I know house cleaning should be done prior to this by right haha..., but once again I'm really not that big fans to follow tradition). Oh eh and I need to continue fangirling to Jasper Liu!

🎊 Lastly, Happy CNY to JH family!! 🎊

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Chinese-New-Year-2021-Year-Ox.jpg

With my siblings residing all around the world/married, we have not had a proper family reunion for years and I have not celebrated Chinese New Years for nearly 20 years because there's a lack of that festive spirits where I am (and no holidays 😢). Occasionally I miss Chinese New Years, especially when the grandparents were still alive because they were the ones that keep the families together and ensure we have proper family gathering during New Year's eve and first day of Chinese New Year.

This year, a colleague at work has organised a gathering where each of us bring a dish of our culture/country this Friday. Not many people has responded but at least our small team will be there, and that's good enough. It'll follow by a steak dinner at night. 🥩

Happy Lunar New Year, everyone!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 5

I love the Lunar New Year. It is a big celebration for my family. We love eating out for the Reunion Dinner which is celebrated on the eve. In Malaysia, many Malaysian Chinese families do celebrate with a lot of feasting over the years - some do it at home , and many go out to the restaurants/ hotels for a good meal. In the past we have to book the popular restaurants in advance ( 2 months or so ahead) in order to secure a place. Then leading up to the new year it is very common to meet up with friends & work / business associates for meals where we will do the Lou Hei / Lou sang that @SilverMoonTea mentioned. This is very much a tradition among Malaysian & Singaporean Chinese ( but I know it has spread its wings to to places like Hong Kong).

After a really good meal on the eve, we celebrate the next few days visiting family & friends - where more feasting is expected ( yes it is a season of putting on a lot weight) plus the kids get money gifts ( in red packets known as "Ang Pow") from the married folks.

But that has all changed this year. With the pandemic and the quarantine restrictions in my country , you can't dine in  at restaurants nor visit people.  So for the 1st time as far as memory serves, I have not "lou hei" with anyone before the New Year.( I used to go out a lot) . My siblings and I have decided not to meet for the reunion for safety reasons ( my sis is due to give birth in a few weeks )- so we decided to have an online reunion. :yayaya:. So we ordered food from one of our favourite seafood restaurant & will have it delivered to our respective households. Then we will eat together & chat via Zoom. LOL!   We figured this was the best option to celebrate & keep everyone safe.  And to all my relatives , I just sent gifts and stuff. Let's hope this is the only year we have to do this. I hope in 2022 , we can physically meet again.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

1 minute ago, SilverMoonTea said:

So @abs-oluteMyou save money in a way this year? No need to give angpao hahaha...

In a way yes......but I still have to spend money on sending gifts etc. Plus it's okay for me...my boy gets back ang pow too. And guess who keeps it for him ? :Ghastlel: (hahaha he is too young to understand the value of money )

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - 

52 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

In a way yes......but I still have to spend money on sending gifts etc. Plus it's okay for me...my boy gets back ang pow too. And guess who keeps it for him ? (hahaha he is too young to understand the value of money )

Mum saves our ang pao in our individual bank account. I love looking at the numbers increase each year. Over the years it grew and that became our base of savings. Are you doing the same for your son?

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
4 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Mum saves our ang pao in our individual bank account. I love looking at the numbers increase each year. Over the years it grew and that became our base of savings. Are you doing the same for your son?

No ....all my money is his . :pandacool: So no need la . Actually we do put aside money for him in a savings he has since he was young. My boy has a good life . I’m the one who needs the donation :pandasadspoon:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

8 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

No ....all my money is his . :pandacool: So no need la . Actually we do put aside money for him in a savings he has since he was young. My boy has a good life . I’m the one who needs the donation :pandasadspoon:

Are you sure? Your money will become his wife's :laugh: My nephew also has a good life. A room filled with toys. We never have that! He's also always out with Mummy eating good food. I fear he'll have expensive taste buds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

It's going to be a quiet one this year. Singapore has restricted the daily visitors of each household to 8 pax so you can imagine the amount of scheduling that will need to be done if you have a large family!

I always look forward to my family's reunion dinner on CNY Eve! Nothing beats a home-made steamboat. My favourite ingredient has always been pig's liver and prawns. How about you?

On the first day, we dress up in our finest and head out to the temples to ask for blessings at the Goddess of Mercy temple (usually have to elbow a huge crowd) and pay respects to my late grandparents. Lunch is traditionally a MacDonalds' takeaway from our neighbourhood outlet. Heehee! As my Dad is the eldest of his siblings residing in Singapore, my relatives usually came to my home in the evenings after completing visits with other sides of their families. It's usually a night of catching up, stuffing our faces from a buffet and gambling (blackjack and mahjong)!

On the second day, I might head out to a friend's house for gatherings. Again, lots of food and good-natured gambling!

This year, I am just looking forward to some quiet time at home.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

We usually celebrate Chinese New Year by having dinner together and share Tet cake (a vietnamese traditional new year cake), but nowadays, we don't celebrate it anymore because this holiday isn't a 'valid' day to have days off from school or work, so my family gave up on trying to make it happen, plus we don't have any family members here so it isn't as fun to celebrate it as in Vietnam LOL. 

**They also stop giving me red pockets because they said i'm too told, plus they can't no longer "take" my money more anymore. So, now I have to be the one to give it to them** :cry:

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

currently watching: Love Me Love My Voice, A Journey To Love

currently translating: The Legend of Jewelry 

My family actually doesn't celebrate the lunar new year; however, we have a lot of family members born in February so we usually get together for that. This year, we're not really doing anything. It's probably for the best because of the pandemic, we want to make sure everyone is safe. 

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 4

I usually celebrate by going to Malaysia and seeing extended family...And as I'm not married, I shamelessly go collecting Ang pow with my cousins :pandatakeit: Since marriage is the barrier to money, I'm gonna hold out for as long as possible :laugh:

But like everyone here, the pandemic has changed life. The travel restrictions means who knows when we'll be allowed to travel again :idk:

In Australia, we don't have public holidays for CNY, but there's often lots of festivals and stuff before the New Year. I didn't go to any this year (in fact, I'm not sure if they held them due to covid).We're technically restriction free at the moment since we've had 0 cases for a long time, but there's very few events or things to do anyway at the moment since I guess people are still reluctant to gather in crowds/ people are still working from home for the most part. 

We'll just celebrate tonight with Tuan Yuan dinner - my mum is cooking a feast and we'll just gather with immediate family. Then I'm probably just gonna watch dramas :heiboi: Life in the pandemic world is lived vicariously through my drama characters.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:08 AM, stroppyse said:

It is common to dress up in traditional clothing or at least their nicest clothing to pay their respects to the elders and also offer a feast table for their ancestors. Children perform deep bows to their parents, and in return receive "spending money" and words of wisdom from their parents. 

Ooooh this is quite similar across Asian cultures then. Definitely the same deal with Chinese/ Malaysian celebrations for me. :Party01:

On 2/9/2021 at 3:47 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

Louhei pic cto.

I can't say if I really like the taste of it. But I gotta to eat them haha... 

Hahaha never used to like it as a kid. But it grew on me as an adult :BulbaOWO: Maybe you just need to eat it a few more times?

On 2/9/2021 at 3:47 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

Oh eh and I need to continue fangirling to Jasper Liu!

I love how Jasper gets a mention on the thread about Lunar New Year celebrations :laugh:

On 2/9/2021 at 7:54 PM, mademoiselle said:

With my siblings residing all around the world/married, we have not had a proper family reunion for years and I have not celebrated Chinese New Years for nearly 20 years because there's a lack of that festive spirits where I am (and no holidays 😢).

Wow that's a long time! It's hard when family is all over the place. Definitely harder now with pandemic too.

Its also tough when there's no public holidays, but sometimes just the holiday themes are fun. I'm like a weirdly festival person so will force holiday spirit on others by making them eat appropriate foods and wearing seasonal clothes etc.  :laugh: 

On 2/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I love the Lunar New Year. It is a big celebration for my family. We love eating out for the Reunion Dinner which is celebrated on the eve. In Malaysia, many Malaysian Chinese families do celebrate with a lot of feasting over the years - some do it at home , and many go out to the restaurants/ hotels for a good meal. In the past we have to book the popular restaurants in advance ( 2 months or so ahead) in order to secure a place. Then leading up to the new year it is very common to meet up with friends & work / business associates for meals where we will do the Lou Hei / Lou sang that @SilverMoonTea mentioned. This is very much a tradition among Malaysian & Singaporean Chinese ( but I know it has spread its wings to to places like Hong Kong).

Ahhh, love this description...this is definitely the Malaysia New Years I'm use to. Lots of food and meeting all these relatives including people I have never met before but are told we are somehow related and then my parents supply me with correct title to call said relative because I am foreigner and don't know correct titles :idk: Food is so central to Malaysian life for sure and you do many Lou Sang over and over again!

On 2/9/2021 at 8:46 PM, abs-oluteM said:

In a way yes......but I still have to spend money on sending gifts etc. Plus it's okay for me...my boy gets back ang pow too. And guess who keeps it for him ?  (hahaha he is too young to understand the value of money )

Hahaha every child's experience of their NY's money going into some unknown saving account... :laugh:

On 2/10/2021 at 2:23 AM, Jane said:

It's going to be a quiet one this year. Singapore has restricted the daily visitors of each household to 8 pax so you can imagine the amount of scheduling that will need to be done if you have a large family!

I always look forward to my family's reunion dinner on CNY Eve! Nothing beats a home-made steamboat. My favourite ingredient has always been pig's liver and prawns. How about you?

Wow, that's going to be tough with large families! I know it's difficult with those who have family across the Malaysian borders too!

Wow steamboat is a fancy reunion dinner. I think my mum went all out with Lobsters, abalone, spring rolls etc. this year!

On 2/10/2021 at 7:44 AM, AwkwarDerp said:

**They also stop giving me red pockets because they said i'm too told, plus they can't no longer "take" my money more anymore. So, now I have to be the one to give it to them** :cry:

But are you married?! This is the barrier according to my family! No marriage = still get money :smug:

My grandpa still gives red pocket to the elderly 80 yr old unmarried next door woman because it's tradition :lenny:

On 2/10/2021 at 11:18 AM, Tofu said:

My family actually doesn't celebrate the lunar new year; however, we have a lot of family members born in February so we usually get together for that. 

Grouping the celebration makes sense! But yeah pandemic has changed everything :idk:

HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :Party01::Party02:

Upr0yut.jpg

Edited by JenL
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Party! 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 2/9/2021 at 2:54 AM, mademoiselle said:

With my siblings residing all around the world/married, we have not had a proper family reunion for years

I share your sentiment. My fam/friends are scattered all over as well. Literally all over - 4 out of 7 continents. This situation is made worse by travel restrictions due to the pandemic.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:46 AM, abs-oluteM said:

And guess who keeps it for him ? :Ghastlel: (hahaha he is too young to understand the value of money )

Haha... but is it a case of "can't say no" instead of "too young"? My lil one tells me this all the time. Haha.

On 2/9/2021 at 9:23 AM, Jane said:

It's going to be a quiet one this year.

For me too, especially so due to "self-imposed quarantine" after one within my family circle was infected a couple of months ago and was just vaccinated a few days ago. Fingers are crossed for full recovery and full stoppage of further infection. :pandapray:

6 hours ago, JenL said:

Since marriage is the barrier to money, I'm gonna hold out for as long as possible :laugh:

Hahaha. You know there's another angle to this theory, don't you? Who knows, you may "strike a jack with a golden pot" or "strike gold together through luck/hard work" haha. Not forgetting the joy of love/being loved and  more...:duckhearts: 

6 hours ago, JenL said:

Life in the pandemic world is lived vicariously through my drama characters.

So true! I've already started to binge-athon. So many good dramas awaiting my love haha :wow:

On that note, I shall get on with my vicarious life... after this:

GIF-niunian-JH.gif

“𝙃𝙖𝙥𝙥𝙮 🐮 Y𝙚𝙖𝙧!”

大家万事如意,牛年大吉, 牛气冲天!Stay Healthy! :hearties:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Party! 1

Current Faves: Undercover & Mine & Bossam (Kdramas); The Handmaid's Tale (US Drama)l  

Watching: A Good Supper, Court Lady...  Waiting: Red Sky, Love (Season 2), Penthouse (Season 3)...  

32 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

It’s gonna be a zoom CNY for our families this year 😄 

Happy Lunar New Year everyone!! 🎊😘

Yes...me too. It was quite fun &  was happy to see my siblings and all us eating together

3 hours ago, oppasaranghaeyo said:

Haha... but is it a case of "can't say no" instead of "too young"? My lil one tells me this all the time. Haha.

My kiddo really does not care about money. He used to not want to even take the red packets when he was younger as he felt shy. Now he just passes them to me. :MewGiggle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

I am Chinese descendants and Lunar New Year is one of the important celebration in my family. Since I could remember, celebrating the new year related with new clothes, visiting eldest relative from both sides of parents, red envelopes and foods x). The one that I probably excited the most is getting red envelopes :MewGiggle:

The activity that I probably do most of times while celebrating the new year, first giving greetings to elders, second, receiving angpaos and lastly sitting nicely while listen to others talking and catching up with others since it's a rare occasion for us to gather the big family. I mostly only listen and answer the questions they ask. Other than that, I'll just keep munching on some cookies or oranges. The most common things that you will always find in every house is oranges. Oranges are considered traditional symbols of abundance and good fortune. 

This year, because of pandemic all the gatherings in the eldest member of the family are all cancelled, for everyone safety and health. We'll just probably send each other greetings with call or video call. There will be small meet up with my brothers, sisters in law and nieces for a short time. Other than that, I guess I'll just eating some oranges while watching some dramas or variety shows.

Happy Lunar New Year! Wish you health, wealth and prosperity in life. 
May good luck follows you in every step and your house be filled with happiness and I hope you have a great holiday with your dear ones. 

14d648d19310c7b6824e3180e2774e59.gif

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Party! 2

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

On 2/9/2021 at 5:42 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

So @abs-oluteMyou save money in a way this year? No need to give angpao hahaha...

I hear there's e-ang pow now. Like Amazon gift cards. So can't escape lol.

On 2/9/2021 at 6:58 PM, mademoiselle said:

Your money will become his wife's

This is so true. During reunion dinner just now, I asked my aunt why she is not having dinner with her only son, wife and grandkids. She said because they are having reunion dinner with the wife's family! [The reunion dinner on the eve is usually given priority to the male's family. The couple will usually have reunion dinner with the female's family on another day, for example, the previous weekend.] So there's family politics sometimes too.

Anyway, my family is large - a lot of aunties and uncles and cousins and their children. But we will probably not be meeting some due to the 8 visitors limit per day in Singapore. I am now playing the bad cop trying to tell people not to come to my house on certain days once the quota of 8 is reached - I don't want to be fined or go to jail! 😂

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!

Chinese-New-Year-Ox_black.jpg

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Party! 2