Havenites Dabang

@mademoiselle , I know @Dhakra likes the sort of slice of life where it will speak to him from a guys POV. So like WLFairy, I know he loves it as much as he does because of NJH's character. And the other drama which I put neck on the line for was Plus Nine Boys. That was just such a lovely show about growing up and getting your act together. Actually @Dhakra Kim Young Kwang's latest drama Hello Me ( which has finished) was pretty nice too. His arc there was good & it was about him maturing and taking responsibility. I wasn't a big fan of the noona romance he had with the FL from Queen of Mystery ( I found their chemistry lacking) but the romance is not the main focus. Something you can put on your to watch list for a rainy day.

Hello @mirmz. What are your plans this weekend?

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Wedding Impossible  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom

19 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

The 4 main casts have similar screen time IMO. I feel that it's more of an ensemble like Parasite where neither one particularly had the heaviest role. They are equally important. What do you both think @abs-oluteM @Chocolate?

Ahhh, I see. I guess giving it more thought it probably makes sense since Sweet Home is essentially a survival genre and there's usually more than one hero since it takes a team to stop the apocalypse or ensure the survival of (at least some of) the humans :smile:

On 4/23/2021 at 6:38 PM, mademoiselle said:

Love Alarm was his breakthrough and season 1 is actually not bad (just too much flashback about Jojo's past) and the story exploring on people relying on a phone app - The exploration on this What If and the consequences of it after is quite interesting. It's what we are doing now with technology/PCs/internet. I actually find this bit "dark".

Hahaha Love Alarm reminds me of something that would come out of Black Mirror and I hateeee that show. I like dark dystopian stuff usually, but I was very seriously traumatised by the first episode  :lettalKWA::pandarage2: But yeah, love and technology is a weird mix, though it is definitely a part of life today.

What's this star-gazing Japanese dog movie? I only know Mari & Her 3 Puppies! I bawled my eyes out for this one (even from watching the trailer) but LOVED the movie and it was based on real life story.

Oh god, Stargazing dog or Hoshi Mamoru Inu made me cry one of 5 times. As in not get teary (which happens sometimes for me when I see a sad scene)...but actually bawl my eyes out (which as mentioned pretty much never happens) on a plane while travelling with a friend. My poor friend was so shocked because she'd never seen me cry before, let alone break down about a fictional dog in a movie :laugh:

The film is pretty sad from the start - a police/ detective team discover the corpse of a man and his dog in a van in the  woods and they're investigating whether there was foul play. But what they find is the story of a dog so loyal to it's owner he never leaves his side even when things get bleaker and bleaker....in fact spoiler - the guy dies and the dog still brings food to his corpse and tries to keep him warm and then dies with him etc etc etc - :letalQQ::letalQQ::letalQQ: The scene that ripped by heart out was from the dog's POV and memory of a happy time with the family while being attacked. It's rough emotionally, but it is aesthetic and warm until it gets bleak...

I only know Mari & Her 3 Puppies! I bawled my eyes out for this one (even from watching the trailer) but LOVED the movie and it was based on real life story. The little girl in the movie, ohmygod, she broke my tear glands. Mari saved the Haraboji during the earthquake and she and her pups were left behind because the rescue team couldn't take them... just typing this out is making me tearing up!!!

OMG Mari and her puppies are so cute. I watched your trailer and I am tempted to watch. Hahaha then I might have cried for 6 films since your summary already sounds so so so sad. How could they leave her puppies behind?!?! :letalQQ: Dogs are better than humans :pandadisgusted:

I wasn't sure I'd like Healer but this father/daughter scene seals the deal for me, LOL

https://youtu.be/HS9bpwzemp0

I liked Healer when I watched it but I don't have much of a memory about it now - it's like the story didn't make a big impression on me? :thinking: Maybe it's because I'm becoming less and less tolerant of JCW :idk:

On 4/23/2021 at 7:10 PM, Chocolate said:

Unlike @JenL I'm a crier. Even if I am not watching the show, if I see a funeral scene or something sad, the tears come. In fact, I cry more for drama funerals than RL ones.

That's nice though - you have real feelings! I do get the occasional one tear :smile: But to make me bawl my eyes out something has to make me very very very angry or sad.

On 4/23/2021 at 9:56 PM, Dhakra said:

But KDrama were never good at creating satisfying ending. I think I could count endings on one hand that I was truly happy with. One Spring Night also had an ending that left me with a bad taste of not wrapping up everything perfectly. 

But everything is better than an open end.  

This is true - especially old Kdrama endings. I feel it's improved over the years, but still I'm often surprised at how many writers still fail to write a truly satisfying ending. And the occasional disaster still happens (*cough DDSSSLLS cough*). 

Open endings I can accept in certain circumstances, but I think if it's hard enough to end a drama happily, writing a satisfying open ending is a zillion times harder. And I think the genre needs to be a factor - it works with some slice of life dramas which are more realistic...but mysteries with open endings are a waste of everyone's time. Same with romances that are super sweet throughout the series but then crash and burn into an open ending :pandarage2:

On 4/23/2021 at 10:55 PM, mademoiselle said:

I would never put my neck on the line for that drama. In fact, I would not put my neck on the line for any Kim Eun Sook's dramas.

HAHAHA I agree with this :1000: percent. So many series that are just popular but ughhhh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

It's because I don't know what else you've watched other than Healer and Weightlifting Fairy. Besides, I do think KES drama vs Healer, Healer definitely fits the bill as it explored the history in the 80s - a bunch of journalists trying to expose the government. They failed but their children continued the legacy for them later. The story explores corruption (The Farmers) and justice. The characters were layered and has depth and is colourful and memorable even when they are just supporting actors.

Well, we can change this easily, here is my mydrama-list -> click

It really looks like I didn't watch any drama in 2020. I almost can't believe it. 

I remember the story, it was interesting for sure, but other dramas do have that aswell, it's really a good drama, but I wouldn't link these three keywords to Healer. 

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Mister Fussy Pot. If you take out your "no finished drama" and "no over 1 hour" from your criteria, I'm sure you'll find more slice of life dramas.

Nnnaaaaaaaaahh :pandaroar:

I am actually quite happy as it is. Having a good one currently, LBY is in the pipeline, I am totally gucci for now :pandacoolsip:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 4/23/2021 at 11:00 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

@TRaNzCan you munch a ghost story? If yes come join us to the haunted house lols 👻 

@NiteWalkerInvited you too, haha... 

On 4/23/2021 at 11:50 PM, TRaNz said:

Hrmmm Jang Nara and YongHwa...... ill have quick squizz at the summary and trailers. :thinking:

Join us!!! I'm behind on this week's episode but I enjoyed the first 2 eps! The ghosts are not scary-scary :smile:

21 hours ago, Dhakra said:

:pandawhat:That's a statement. Are her dramas really so bad? I checked her list and she did a decent job with DotS. Although I didn't like the part where they were back in korea. 

Yes they're terrible in my opinion! Well I avoid most of them.

I feel like my version of your fussy list is this....

JenL's list of things that will make her avoid a drama (not limited to this though):

-Horror and gore stories (except zombies)

-Monsters stories

-Melodrama

-Makjang tropes

-Sageuk

-Abusive male 'romance' leads who get the girl

-Super old dramas (Like 90's stuff)

-Dramas with certain actors/actresses: Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun etc..

-Kim Eun Sook scripts

-Anything with terrible pacing will kill me

Obviously I avoided The King Monarch drama :lenny: Hahahaha

JenL's list of things that will draw her to a drama (not limited to this though):

-Music themed stories

-Cooking/food-themed/ restaurant stories

-Warm small-town/ community stories

-School/ college life stories (not all of them, but it is a pull card)

-Nostalgia stories (ie. set in a time like the 90's, 80's, 50's)

-Super cute romances (This is defined as very cute and playful, not overly mushy/melodramatic)

-Slice of life / anything with an embedded philosophical message or idea

-Vigilante/ law/ corruption/ gangster stories 

-Bad-ass/ lone wolf characters

-Zombies

-Things based on a webtoon

-Dramas with certain actors/actresses: Jasper Liu, Lee Jae Wook, Park Eun Bin etc.

-Anything with good plot twists wins points

What weird things put people off or draw people to dramas? Please share :MewHi:

15 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Her dramas are fluffy and all her male characters are very childish, even for Goblin and Mr Sunshine...although in Mr Sunshine it was a restrained childishness due to the theme of the drama.

For me, of the few I've watched, there were huge gaps in story logic which drove me crazy...for example, why is Gong Yoo's character punished for years and years over that one incident when there's wayyy worse humans in the world?? And also the characters themselves I find to be quite basic - only the very famous actors have brought them to life and injected their relationships with chemistry which is why her series are so popular :idk:

14 hours ago, Dhakra said:

I think you would notice :pandaxmas:

Yep, TOTALLY a creature of the night aswell. My days start late and my nights go long. I hope that doesn't change soon. 

Talking to me before noon is a mistake many people make only once. You don't get a straight sentence of me. 

A few people even wait until sunset before talking to me with specific topics. 

LOL Well, I could be having Edward Norton Fight Club type hallucinations and you'd be another version of me :laugh:

Mmm I understand what you mean about starting late and making the night last forever...It's pitch black and past midnight which is why I'm writing my loooong posts here :BulbaOWO:

14 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Yep! That stuff is going to be expeeeeeeensive as hell. Oh boyohboyohboy. Some peeps are going to make moneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey :pandatakeit:

14 hours ago, TRaNz said:

Yeah like @Dhakra said.

Those shirts are gonna worth sooo freaking much. HAHAHA

Situation to be out of control.

Better start making friends with those Maccas employees. 

"Hey kid, can you sneak us a shirt?" :lenny:

14 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

LOL. I am always curious how many hours do you sleep coz you stayed up way later since I often get notifs from your tag the next morning. I'm a night owl myself but I've to sleep by midnight if I want enough energy during the day for work.

Ahhhh, I can function perfectly fine on very little sleep :idk: I'll be fine on 5 hours, but I do try to get 7 on weekends :)

Hehe, midnight is not late at all. My optimum time to sleep is 2am :BulbaOWO: But past that time, I do start to wilt a little as I don't pull all nighters.

2 hours ago, Jane said:

@SilverMoonTea @mademoiselle @JenL I finally finished A Piece Of Your Mind. TBH I wasn't paying as much as attention to the last two episodes because I was mentally checked out by then. Thought they were rather lackluster too and just trying to close up the story. Overall pretty drama, an interesting premise to the storyline whose exploration suffered due to the pacing.

Woooo!!! But you finished it :Party01: I totally agree with your opinion and you summed it up so nicely and succinctly in your last sentence...it was lacklustre and kind of pointless, but melodramatic at the end. 

2 hours ago, Jane said:

You definitely can, haha! Where's that travel bubble :idk:

Hopefully it's coming soon :letalQQ: We currently have one with New Zealand, so that's a start :CharmanderYay:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JenL said:

What weird things put people off or draw people to dramas? Please share :MewHi:

Time travel ! 

I actually avoided it if I can, but somehow I also always got withdrawn to time travel drama ? 

I really like Feel Good to Die drama with time travel genre. But it's also quite comedic & the light romance is working for me perfectly. 

But, Times & Kairos kind of zapping my energy with their back & forth change timeline. 

So :idk: 

I will take note on your list Jen, I need it to lure you to watch drama with me :eeeee:. I think it's not too hard lols. I have quite close preference to yours, minus the zombies. Zombies need to be paired with handsome oppa, so I might still give Dark Hole @abs-oluteMa chance lols. 

Have you watch ep 3/4 Daebak? @JenL, will wait for your comments on the thread! ❤

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

15 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Time travel ! 

I actually avoided it if I can, but somehow I also always got withdrawn to time travel drama ? 

I really like Feel Good to Die drama with time travel genre. But it's also quite comedic & the light romance is working for me perfectly. 

But, Times & Kairos kind of zapping my energy with their back & forth change timeline. 

Hahaha it sounds like you have a complicated relationship with time-travel dramas :laugh: My favourite TW drama is time travel - but they did a good job with time travel logic so I liked it. I have seen stuff where the time lines were too confusing or had huge logic plot holes, which like you said, would zap your energy trying to follow :shocked:

18 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I will take note on your list Jen, I need it to lure you to watch drama with me :eeeee:. I think it's not too hard lols. I have quite close preference to yours, minus the zombies. Zombies need to be paired with handsome oppa, so I might still give Dark Hole @abs-oluteMa chance lols. 

Have you watch ep 3/4 Daebak? @JenL, will wait for your comments on the thread! ❤

I've given you the key for luring :lenny: Haha, but I'm pretty easy to please and not as fussy as @Dhakra :smile:

I haven't seen the latest episodes of Daebak yet! Fell behind this week :letalQQ: And I'm busy tomorrow, but I'll catch up soon. I really enjoyed the first 2 eps :heart:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, JenL said:

Love Alarm reminds me of something that would come out of Black Mirror and I hateeee that show.

Ah that's right. I was thinking of Black Mirror but couldn't remember the name. I heard about it but hadn't seen the show coz people tells me it's disturbing.

8 hours ago, JenL said:

Stargazing dog or Hoshi Mamoru Inu

I think my waterworks will break for this one. I don't remember ever not crying for any dog movies I've watched. Yeah you should totally give The Tale of Mari & Her 3 Puppies a go.

8 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Well, we can change this easily, here is my mydrama-list -> click

It really looks like I didn't watch any drama in 2020. I almost can't believe it. 

I remember the story, it was interesting for sure, but other dramas do have that aswell, it's really a good drama, but I wouldn't link these three keywords to Healer.

We will have to agree to disagree because I wouldn't link those three keywords to One Spring Night too.

7 hours ago, JenL said:

JenL's list of things that will make her avoid a drama (not limited to this though):

-Monsters stories

-Melodrama

-Makjang tropes

-Sageuk

-Kim Eun Sook scripts

Obviously I avoided The King Monarch drama :lenny: Hahahaha

JenL's list of things that will draw her to a drama (not limited to this though):

-Music themed stories

-Super cute romances (This is defined as very cute and playful, not overly mushy/melodramatic)

-Zombies

-Dramas with certain actors/actresses: Jasper Liu, Lee Jae Wook, Park Eun Bin etc.

:shocked: Ohmagod, not you too! LOL. I mostly avoid extremely melodramatic / exaggerating ones, makjang and cheating plots (e.g. Penthouse, VIP, World of the Married). The rest I leave it open-minded & depending on how I feel about it.

7 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Times & Kairos kind of zapping my energy with their back & forth change timeline.

No lar, these two are not time-travelling coz none of them actually time travel.

7 hours ago, JenL said:

And also the characters themselves I find to be quite basic - only the very famous actors have brought them to life and injected their relationships with chemistry which is why her series are so popular 

There's one thing about Kim Eun Sook that we, international viewers, couldn't appreciate fully and that's her word play because we don't understand Korean. According to what I've learnt, she's famous for writing witty word play however these tend to get lost in translation. Her mentees had also inherited such trait (Run On and Search WWW). The translation for Run On from NF was being criticised by C-subbing team to not do the dialogues justice. That said, I also don't get why her series are always so popular and garner high ratings. They just do, so I tend to joke it must be because she saved the world in her past life. I'm not interested in her upcoming drama (although I might succumb again if she cast another of my Oppa), but I'm very interested to know how well it'll do in reception. I am curious to know if she's still got that magic or the Koreans have finally gotten over her spell.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
43 minutes ago, JenL said:

-Monsters stories

-Melodrama

-Makjang tropes

-Sageuk

-Kim Eun Sook scripts

Well, many points are similiar to mine. I don't know much about scripts and I don't think I tend to avoid any actors/actresses.  

I forgot pacing on my list. That's really something that kills me in both directions. When the OTP already kisses in the first two episodes I am already out, same goes if they drag the story endlessly and don't get to the point. 

43 minutes ago, JenL said:

-Music themed stories

-Zombies

I think here do we start to differ quite a bit. So we are actually different. :pandahehe:

I think I will make a similiar list of things that drag me into a drama, but I will wait until the suns sets for this. 

44 minutes ago, JenL said:

LOL Well, I could be having Edward Norton Fight Club type hallucinations and you'd be another version of me :laugh:

Mmm I understand what you mean about starting late and making the night last forever...It's pitch black and past midnight which is why I'm writing my loooong posts here

What version of you would I be? :pandapirate:

I tend to write more and differently when it's night/evening, so I absolutely see where you come from.  

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

@mademoiselle , I know @Dhakra likes the sort of slice of life where it will speak to him from a guys POV. So like WLFairy, I know he loves it as much as he does because of NJH's character. And the other drama which I put neck on the line for was Plus Nine Boys. That was just such a lovely show about growing up and getting your act together. Actually @Dhakra Kim Young Kwang's latest drama Hello Me ( which has finished) was pretty nice too. 

Look at you noona :pandacool: Still able to read me like a book. 

Exactly, for slice of life, I need a male pov that I can identify with, something I can relate to, which can be very different stuff. PNB was your recommendation masterpiece back then because it hit exactly the spot I was looking for, so many pov's that I was able to resonate with and was able to understand it.

Fairy was similiar, because I knew what NJH was thinking and why he acted the way he did. Especially since I remember back then in the Fairy threads, most of the girls weren't able to get why he or his brother acted in the way they did. So I could provide a pov that they didn't get at first. 

I loved Fairy because it showed me something I had already forgotten, a new perspective on love. 

To @abs-oluteM's displease though, I think I learned the most from Shi Ho. (Am I allowed to mention the name without us getting into a war?) :pandapirate::KittyGun: 

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Kim Young Kwang's latest drama Hello Me ( which has finished) was pretty nice too. His arc there was good & it was about him maturing and taking responsibility. I wasn't a big fan of the noona romance he had with the FL from Queen of Mystery ( I found their chemistry lacking) but the romance is not the main focus. Something you can put on your to watch list for a rainy day.

What? The FL from Queen of Mystery? How in Johnny's name is that supposed to work? I can already imagine the lackluster of chemistry between them. 

Actually she might be someone I would put on my list of actresses I avoid, not because she was bad, but because her role in both seasons of Queen of Mystery was so "iconic" for me. I will always see her as that kind of ahjumma. Especially since I listen to the OST so often during the week. 

I have a big list of videogames for rainy days, so I am totally busy in this regard.

1 hour ago, JenL said:

This is true - especially old Kdrama endings. I feel it's improved over the years, but still I'm often surprised at how many writers still fail to write a truly satisfying ending. And the occasional disaster still happens (*cough DDSSSLLS cough*). 

Open endings I can accept in certain circumstances, but I think if it's hard enough to end a drama happily, writing a satisfying open ending is a zillion times harder. And I think the genre needs to be a factor - it works with some slice of life dramas which are more realistic...but mysteries with open endings are a waste of everyone's time. Same with romances that are super sweet throughout the series but then crash and burn into an open ending

Old dramas/new dramas, I am always afraid when a drama is heading towards the end, because I always feel like they run out of time to solve every last plot. 'Mother' was the last ending I was actually quite satisfied with, gosh, that drama was so good. Hard to watch, but fantastic. 

I really hate open endings, One Spring Night had one, I think The Package also had one, it's so unsatisfying. It feels like there are episodes missing or they weren't able to put it to an end. 

6 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

We will have to agree to disagree because I wouldn't link those three keywords to One Spring Night too.

Oh for surely-urly I would not say One Spring Night fits all three keywords. It had depth, but it was in no way meaningful or had substance. But what drama would be able to cover all three keywords?

The only drama that comes to my mind spontaneously is.....again.....'Mother'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have wanted to play something like name the dramas you can think of that falls under what's been described. I thought it'd be fun :laugh: Feel free to play along guys~

-Horror and gore stories (except zombies) Stranger from Hell, The Guest

-Monsters stories Sweet Home :pandarage:← Just thought this is an apt representation of a normal panda turning into monster

-Melodrama The Moon that Embraces the Sun, Model.

-Makjang tropes Penthouse, The Last Empress, Winter Sonata, Autumn in My Heart

-Sageuk So many... but you'll succumb coz Lee Jae Wook is doing one bwahahaha. Just to name a few: [Upcoming] - Affection, Red Sky. [Finished] - Tale of Nokdu, The Crowned Clown.

-Abusive male 'romance' leads who get the girl This is pretty old drama trope coz it was the trend back then. BOF, The Master's Sun, Fated to Love You.

-Super old dramas (Like 90's stuff) Model

-Dramas with certain actors/actresses: Lee Min Ho, Kim Go Eun etc.. Subjective - no entry.

-Kim Eun Sook scripts Secret Garden, The Gentleman's Dignity, The Heirs, TKEM, DotS, Goblin, Mr. Sunshine, The Glory

-Anything with terrible pacing will kill me LOL, I'd think A Piece of Your Mind falls into this but you finished it anyway. I pushed through because of the OTP. The pacing was terrible.

-Music themed stories Nodame Cantabile (Japanese version only), Do You Like Brahms?, Beethoven's Virus.

-Cooking/food-themed/restaurant stories Pasta (?), Temperature of Love, Osen.

-Warm small-town/ community stories When the Weather is Fine

-School/ college life stories (not all of them, but it is a pull card) Moment of 18, My ID is Gangnam Beauty, School series, WLFKBJ.

-Nostalgia stories (ie. set in a time like the 90's, 80's, 50's) Reply 1988

-Super cute romances (This is defined as very cute and playful, not overly mushy/melodramatic) Park Bo Young & Park Hyung Sik's super cute romance saved Strong Woman Do Bong Soon.

-Slice of life / anything with an embedded philosophical message or idea Navillera, Dear My Friends

-Vigilante/ law/ corruption/ gangster stories Law School, Vincenzo, City Hunter, Stranger, The Uncanny Counter, Hyena

-Bad-ass/ lone wolf characters Duel (?)

-Zombies Joseon Exorcist :cry:, Kingdom, Dark Hole (upcoming, maybe not sure yet)

-Things based on a webtoon Navillera, Sweet Home, True Beauty, I Know But, DP, Along with the Gods, Yumi's Cells.

-Dramas with certain actors/actresses: Jasper Liu, Lee Jae Wook, Park Eun Bin etc. Upcoming - Affection

-Anything with good plot twists wins points The Light in Your Eyes.

What weird things put people off or draw people to dramas? Please share.

Put off - Makjang.

Drawn - I'm pretty drawn to fantasy, Sci-Fi because this is where creativity and imaginary is limitless. Like "Circle" was pretty well done.

Spoiler

Dhakra's list:

• Time Travel (back and forth) Tomorrow With You, Go Back Couple, Nine, Mr. Queen. This is not accurate. You watched "Tunnel" and liked it based on the scoring.
  • Time skipping (more than a year) What? So strict! She Would Never Know
  • Dramas that play in the past Reply series
  • Dramas that play in the future Alice, Circle
  • Idols Snowdrop (but you like your Noonas!)
  • Ghosts Daebak Real Estate, Ghost Detective, The Master's Sun, The Guest, Hotel Del Luna.
  • Monsters Sweet Home, Kingdom, Dark Hole
  • Fantasy Arthdal Chronicles, W, Memories of the Alhambra.
  • Aliens Manhole, My Love From the Star (at least he's a handsome alien)
  • Manholes Manhole, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle :laugh:
  • Some sort of inhuman special power Blade Man :laugh:, Goblin, Awaken, LUCA
  • Body switching Secret Garden, Mr. Queen
  • Being young again in any way, no suddenly he/she is 20 again 18 Again (this one is so good though)
  • Same goes for old The Light in Your Eyes
  • Daily dramas My Father is Strange
  • Dramas that run over an hour per episode LUCA (hahahaha) and many more.
  • Finished dramas.
  • Dramas that only focus in love stories :pandathink: My Private Life.
  • RomCom in general, there are some exceptions, but if your main focus is love, my main focus is to avoid the drama. What's Wrong with Secretary Kim, My Private Life.
  • Dramas that try to be fancy Sisyphus: The Myth
  • Cheesy stuff Lots in Kdramas
  • Costumes Hyena :laugh:
  • Chaebol The Heirs, Penthouse, Graceful Family.
  • Pretty much any poor girl finds rich asshole stuff and turns him into a good guy The Master's Sun
  • Drama stereotypes Makjang?
  • Hospital dramas Hospital Playlist, Romantic Doctor, Hospital Ship.
  • Dramas that aren't able to teach me something. Kim Eun Sook's and Kim Sun Ok's dramas.
  • OTP already living together/Being married Misty, Go Back Couple, Flower of Evil, Undercover
  • too many children in dramas Oh My Baby

21 hours ago, Dhakra said:

The only drama that comes to my mind spontaneously is.....again.....'Mother'.

:idk: I hadn't seen this. Will keep in mind for a rainy day.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Everyone has such a long list of what draws them to watch a drama. I am very simple minded. If I like one or two of the actors and the synopsis sounds interesting, I will watch the first few episodes. Sometimes, even though the drama clearly is a train wreck (ahem Oh! Master), I keep watching because I've committed too much time to it already, I want to see it to the end. This is probably why my drama list is always long. :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
12 hours ago, JenL said:

Woooo!!! But you finished it :Party01: I totally agree with your opinion and you summed it up so nicely and succinctly in your last sentence...it was lacklustre and kind of pointless, but melodramatic at the end. 

Finally! I am going back to River Where The Moon Rises first before I go on to Weightlifting Fairy!

I am pretty simple in my drama watching too - I prefer low-key, light and pleasant romantic comedies. For me, work is already challenging enough, I don't want to work too hard when I watch dramas. :laugh:

Edited by Jane
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

11 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I hadn't seen this. Will keep in mind for a rainy day.

Rainy days will make it even harder to watch it. The drama itself is very depressing. Especially if you're a mother yourself, I wouldn't recommend watching it, unless you're a pro of seperating.

Don't get me wrong, the drama itself is fan-tas-tic, I've never felt so nervous while the drama does so little. The drama is so calm in telling you it's story. No flashing lights, no action, no hard cuts, just story. The drama is crazy challenging from an emotional pov. It asks so many difficult questions. What do you do in a world where suddenly everything around you, family, cops, friends, co-workers, media, literally every single person is suddenly your enemy?

This is not accurate. You watched "Tunnel" and liked it based on the scoring.

That was actually @abs-oluteMachievement. She knew my antipathy against time traveling, but still put her neck on the line for Tunnel. That made me curios, her putting her neck on the line for a drama that I clearly would dislike bc of this?

And it was fantastic.

Idols Snowdrop (but you like your Noonas!)

Actually I also watched Joy from Red Velvet in "Lover & a Liar", because I love music plots and her being my fav of Red Velvet, although I don't listen to their music a lot. I also begin to watch Idol turned actresses who retired like Nana for example. Once they stop being idols they actually have a sort of freedom and don't need to be just fanservice. 

Joys "kiss" in Liar was so bad. 

My Love From the Star (at least he's a handsome alien)

Oh gawd :pandaroar:

Dramas that try to be fancy Sisyphus: The Myth

What the heck? I didn't know and just read the story and it's the DEFINITION of trying to be fancy :pandadisgusted: 

I actually loved your list of adding dramas to each point. Let's me know which dramas I need to avoid. But know I am really also interested in the opposite way. I will do my list I like in a bit.  

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

No melodrama

No slice of life

No romance dramas (except those with Hyun Bin)

No dramas that teach me anything 🤣

Looks like @Chocolateand I are the complete opposite :pandascared:

• Haha 5
41 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

That was actually @abs-oluteMachievement. She knew my antipathy against time traveling, but still put her neck on the line for Tunnel. That made me curios, her putting her neck on the line for a drama that I clearly would dislike bc of this?

And it was fantastic.

Yeah see. Sometimes shows you don't think you like can turn out be good. Hehehe. I enjoyed Tunnel too. The only flaw for me is the near end which became a bit draggy and predictable.

45 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

Actually I also watched Joy from Red Velvet in "Lover & a Liar", because I love music plots and her being my fav of Red Velvet, although I don't listen to their music a lot. I also begin to watch Idol turned actresses who retired like Nana for example. Once they stop being idols they actually have a sort of freedom and don't need to be just fanservice. 

Joys "kiss" in Liar was so bad. 

I saw it too and I wish I could unsee it (and Temptation). Good thing is they are so forgettable that I'm close to having no memory of it now.

51 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

I actually loved your list of adding dramas to each point. Let's me know which dramas I need to avoid. But know I am really also interested in the opposite way. I will do my list I like in a bit.  

LOL, you're welcome.

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Mine is quite simple.

No melodrama

No slice of life

No romance dramas (except those with Hyun Bin)

No dramas that teach me anything 🤣

I LOVE Secret Garden! But granted, change the actor and I may not.

Your list is contradicting.

No slice of life - Navillera?

No romance dramas - Mr Queen! Bridgeton!

No dramas that teach me anything - I believe Navillera has taught you something. 😂🤣

What? You love SG over MoA?!

2 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Ah Dhakra, but your fave and mine did a movie together "I Am Happy". He's mentally ill and she's a nurse in the mental institution. Did you watch it? I couldn't

Hmm, you should. Just to see how well his acting is as a mental patient. Did you watch the one of him with the C-actress? I draw the line some where on HB's projects. This one is too far back and I technically really only fell for him because he was the charismatic Zinu.

• Haha 3
19 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Your list is contradicting.

No slice of life - Navillera?

No romance dramas - Mr Queen! Bridgeton!

No dramas that teach me anything - I believe Navillera has taught you something. 😂🤣

What? You love SG over MoA?!

Hmm, you should. Just to see how well his acting is as a mental patient. Did you watch the one of him with the C-actress? I draw the line some where on HB's projects. This one is too far back and I technically really only fell for him because he was the charismatic Zinu.

Navillera was the exception because you recommended it. Since I started, I will finish it but it's mostly just playing on the side while I am doing other things.

Mr Queen is not a romance romance. It's supposed to be a comedy with some palace intrigue. I watched Bridgerton because I loved the books - but that was a waste of time watching. I do like romance and romcoms for american/hong kong productions. It's just the korean ones that don't appeal, especially those with young actors - but of course if there is a good one, I will watch it.

Haha! I loved MOTA, then watched SG and SUNK! Hyun Bin was like a totally different person in SG and soooooo funny. And although SG is 10 years old, it doesn't feel like old. I love both and re-watch them often. A lot of his older ones fall under my DO NOT list so I've watched some just because it is HB but can't finish and some I don't even try. I mean he looks like this in I Am Happy 😭 I am NOT happy 😂

I_Am_Happy-007.jpg

Sadly there are not many Zinu type of projects. He seems to like the arty ones.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
13 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I mean he looks like this in I Am Happy 😭 I am NOT happy 😂

OMG, I just die. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah ok, let's go back to admiring Jin Woo instead.

1.gif

source: holyground

13 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Navillera was the exception because you recommended it. Since I started, I will finish it but it's mostly just playing on the side while I am doing other things.

Sighhhh ok, next time I'll be sure not to recommend slice of life to you, lol.

Do you mean purely just romance dramas that you don't like? There are a lot of specific genre dramas that have romance on the side.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
19 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

The only flaw for me is the near end which became a bit draggy and predictable.

That's the flaw of a lot of dramas though. There are barely any dramas that will totally surprise you at the end. And the ones who do, they do something so crazy, that you wished the ending were the predicatable one. 

22 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I saw it too and I wish I could unsee it (and Temptation). Good thing is they are so forgettable that I'm close to having no memory of it now.

Well, I think of it whenever I see Red Velvet or Joy in particular. She was really the nail in the coffin for my "no Idols in dramas" point.

27 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Ah Dhakra, but your fave and mine did a movie together "I Am Happy". He's mentally ill and she's a nurse in the mental institution. Did you watch it? I couldn't 😭

For some reason I actually haven't watched a single korean movie so far. I don't know why, but I never had an interest in it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Tofu said:

Everyone has such a long list of what draws them to watch a drama. I am very simple minded. If I like one or two of the actors and the synopsis sounds interesting, I will watch the first few episodes. Sometimes, even though the drama clearly is a train wreck (ahem Oh! Master), I keep watching because I've committed too much time to it already, I want to see it to the end. This is probably why my drama list is always long. :laugh:

We belong to the Oppa tracker club indeed. :pandahappy:. My list just never ends. 

There are no drama genres that  I am against . I am oppa driven and open to new oppas! I like good story telling but sometimes I just watch stuff because the visuals are good. Nevertheless , not many dramas would make it on my grade A list . 

@Dhakra Tunnel was pretty  good. I felt emotionally attached to it for some reason. Talking about that kiss from the Liar & his Lover - my god that can hardly be called a kiss. It was two sets of lips lightly touching. But I did love Joy's voice on all the OSTs. Nana is a good actress though. Except for Kill It , I like most of her drama roles. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mon-Tues: Wedding Impossible  Wed-Thurs: The Impossible Heir - Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - In Blossom

5 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Do you mean purely just romance dramas that you don't like? There are a lot of specific genre dramas that have romance on the side.

Yeah, seems so. Like "Do you like Brahms" - no for this kind. The thrillers/mystery/suspense/detective/action ones that have romance on the side eg. Vincenzo, those are ok.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
24 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

That's the flaw of a lot of dramas though. There are barely any dramas that will totally surprise you at the end. And the ones who do, they do something so crazy, that you wished the ending were the predicatable one.

Most of it got better now that they are not under time constraint and then there are some with the writers smoking crack even when they have plenty of time LOL.

24 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

Well, I think of it whenever I see Red Velvet or Joy in particular. She was really the nail in the coffin for my "no Idols in dramas" point.

Bahahaha. I can't disagree with this. However, there are idols that can act and have vast improved over the years.

19 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

We belong to the Oppa tracker club indeed. :pandahappy:. My list just never ends. 

There are no drama genres that  I am against . I am oppa driven and open to new oppas! I like good story telling but sometimes I just watch stuff because the visuals are good. Nevertheless , not many dramas would make it on my grade A list . 

@Dhakra Tunnel was pretty  good. I felt emotionally attached to it for some reason. Talking about that kiss from the Liar & his Lover - my god that can hardly be called a kiss. It was two sets of lips lightly touching. But I did love Joy's voice on all the OSTs. Nana is a good actress though. Except for Kill It , I like most of her drama roles. 

Indeed. I can switch between being shallow and deep. HAHAHAHA. I do love my visuals. It motivates. But it excites me more when I am impress by the acting. Like Misty for example, I don't even know how/why I pick it up but I did and no regrets because Kim Nam Joo was soooooo awesome in there. Signal too. I just tried it one day and was so glad I didn't miss out on this gem.

I don't know how you guys can still remember because I have no memory of the kiss at all. Hahaha. As for Nana, I actually like Nana in Kill It. It's just the drama is a huge disappointment.

17 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Yeah, seems so. Like "Do you like Brahms" - no for this kind. The thrillers/mystery/suspense/detective/action ones that have romance on the side eg. Vincenzo, those are ok.

Vincenzo barely have any romance 😫. Hint here and there only. Grrr. The kiss was so beautiful though (and precious if there's no more, LOL). How did you go with Designated Survivor 60 Days?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1