The Sword & The Brocade 锦心似玉 2021

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@Mouse @NiteWalker @SnT To me it seems the  writer understands that the viewers these days won’t be able to accept polygamy type relationships , but at the same time she/ he had to be true to the practice of those times.  So from what I see the writer has come to a compromise by showing the male lead here to be disinterested in the other women. The impression I’m getting is that he’s not even slept with Lian Fang & I don’t think he’s also been with the other two for a long time. So I think that’s how it is acceptable to us viewers. 

Ladies... don't fret. Just remember this drama's setting is of a bygone era, not in current day. In fact, watching dramas like this ought to make us feel more comforted that the times have changed for the better. A lot better. And I don't think XLY is quite the norm of that era. Hard to believe any man having so many wives/concubines and not have time, or want to spare time, for every one of them since they are all beauties in their own unique way. In fact, I was thinking perhaps he should have three more, just so he could fill his week perfectly and impartially lol.:MewGiggle:

26 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

i dont read reviews as well as ppl opinions dont really affect how i feel about a drama....there will be times i like a drama u dont like and i like a drama you dont like....all we need is to respect each other opinion 

Haha... so true. Me too. But I will read reviews and recaps of those I love after having watched them, just to see how differently the take could have been, or if I could have perhaps missed some interesting aspects of any. I loathe spoilers. I try to stay away from them if I could help it, lol, sometimes I can't.

We are all from different walks of life, different nationality, ethnicity, etc., and so having different takes in some and similar takes in some other would not be surprising. In fact, quite refreshing, enlightening and entertaining at times. A lot of times.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Current Faves: Undercover & Mine & Bossam (Kdramas); The Handmaid's Tale (US Drama)l  

Watching: A Good Supper, Court Lady...  Waiting: Red Sky, Love (Season 2), Penthouse (Season 3)...  

6 minutes ago, oppasaranghaeyo said:

Ladies... don't fret. Just remember this drama's setting is of a bygone era, not in current day. In fact, watching dramas like this ought to make us feel more comforted that the times have changed for the better. A lot better. And I don't think XLY is quite the norm of that era. Hard to believe any man having so many wives/concubines and not have time, or want to spare time, for every one of them since they are all beauties in their own unique way. In fact, I was thinking perhaps he should have three more, just so he could fill his week perfectly and impartially lol.:MewGiggle:

nah not fretting to be honest....hahaha its not easy watching a harem...however if we have the mindsets that we are watching a harem show...its usually really easier to follow the drama once we know what to expect...

6 minutes ago, oppasaranghaeyo said:

Haha... so true. Me too. But I will read reviews and recaps of those I love after having watched them, just to see how differently the take could have been, or if I could have perhaps missed some interesting aspects of any. I loathe spoilers. I try to stay away from them if I could help it, lol, sometimes I can't.

sometimes i do read a lil...though if i see the tone were of bashing tone...i will usually avoid those reviews/ comments lols

• Like 5
1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

usually i tried to avoid reviews or seeing ppl comments...

douban comments is worst too....their rating is not over 8 and its barely scratching 7 at all too

hahaha...u know me well too....u know i dont read reviews as well as ppl opinions dont really affect how i feel about a drama....there will be times i like a drama u dont like and i like a drama you dont like....all we need is to respect each other opinion :cool:

That is so true and wise @NiteWalker.  Everyone’s opinion and taste is different and each fan viewpoint sometimes makes sense and give you another point of view and I be like . Wow!!! That makes so much sense and sometimes it doesn’t but it acceptable. But when someone is NEGATIVE, I prefer to Kick that toxicity away from me 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

1 minute ago, UnniSara said:

That is so true and wise @NiteWalker.  Everyone’s opinion and taste is different and each fan viewpoint sometimes makes sense and give you another point of view and I be like . Wow!!! That makes so much sense and sometimes it doesn’t but it acceptable. But when someone is NEGATIVE, I prefer to Kick that toxicity away from me 

true....our container is honestly too small to keep those negativity in hahaha

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
3 hours ago, oppasaranghaeyo said:

ahahaha...I am so so grateful not to be born in this era. Love (ft Divorce & Marriage) already gives me a headache with them showcasing the cheating hubbies romancing their mistresses. I cannot imagine if we also have to see the male lead do the same here. :pandawhat:

Hello @MorningDew! Welcome to the forum  & the thread. Yes, those ratings that @NiteWalker posted shows how well the drama is doing in China. This show is definitely popular locally & internationally 

-------------------------------------------

By the way everyone...don't forget to check out our special badges for our event in the Members Shop. These set of badges will be available till end of our 1st season ( June 2021) 

https://janghaven.com/topic/626-members-shop/?tab=comments#comment-31427

You can purchase them with the Haven points that you earn. How to earn Haven points?

Remember for our special event we're giving 10Haven points for every post till Saturday is over .  So let's heat up the discussions.:smug:

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Connection Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - The Double (2 June)

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

ahahaha...I am so so grateful not to be born in this era. Love (ft Divorce & Marriage) already gives me a headache with them showcasing the cheating hubbies romancing their mistresses. I cannot imagine if here we also have to see the male lead do the same here. :pandawhat:

Hello @MorningDew! Welcome to the forum  & the thread. Yes, those ratings that @NiteWalker posted shows how well the drama is doing in China. This show is definitely popular locally & internationally 

OMG..thank you @abs-oluteM for welcoming me. I started watching this drama end of last week on WeTV, lucky I have VIP pass. No one around me yet interested to watch a historical/period drama, so I'm quite lonely because I don't have any one around to discuss it:cry:

I love slow burn romance and historical genre. Watched The Story of Ming Lan so I really like female centric character, and since General and I I'm a fan of Wallace Chung.. and got interested with this drama because of the writer done the Story of Yanxi Palace before. Anyone can suggest me other good drama? :thinking:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
1 minute ago, MorningDew said:

OMG..thank you @abs-oluteM for welcoming me. I started watching this drama end of last week on WeTV, lucky I have VIP pass. No one around me yet interested to watch a historical/period drama, so I'm quite lonely because I don't have any one around to discuss it:cry:

Oh I get what you mean. I am the only person among my RL friends/ family watching c dramas....they don't get why I am so hooked on this! Just glad that you have joined us. When do you think they will have 1st kiss? 

In fact does anyone know when 1st kiss is supposed to be?

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Connection Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - The Double (2 June)

3 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Oh I get what you mean. I am the only person among my RL friends/ family watching c dramas....they don't get why I am so hooked on this! Just glad that you have joined us. When do you think they will have 1st kiss? 

We're the same.. I think based on the current progress of our Marquis it's probably end of next week episodes. I'm convinced this is the first time he really show interest in a lady emotionally and really love her. Given he is more experienced in intimacy, he would try to woo/tease her and make the first move to get close to her, because he knows that Shiyi is shy and nervous around him. 

I think that's why he didn't react even though he knows Shiyi is awake when he carried her to bed. He is a gentleman. I like his character did not try to force Shiyi and understand on their wedding night that Shiyi refused him because she is not ready yet. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

@MorningDewi feel u. Ppl around me had not started this. Glad for the platform w u all nice viewers to fangirl wallace, discuss n vent n go high like we did over the scenes. I m rewatching to get through the weekend. I think for the first time in a very long time i will hv no Monday blues but look forward for Mondays in march haha.... Lol

I love story of minglan. I binge through that. But definitely a very different couple style. Minglan for one is very well taught n loved by grandma who is powerful in a way in the family. Love that relationship between them. Then she has a great champion in her husband who support her 110%. That marquis gu tingye is a rascal to start but one thing the same he is always looking for his wife to love him (like our houye here) haha.... He get angry because his wife did not try to shoosh away chambermaid  n concubines rigourous enough. She is not jealous enough. Its hilarous. I love it a lot because it is full of plots to make it interesting but not angsty because the couple is like unleakable steel bucket. Both husband n wife plays  good cop bad cop so well against others. I really hope this show follow those feel. Not likely as there is a hurdle of her not completely wanting to stay. But Lets see. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
20 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I don't know for sure, but I think in the high 20s. I saw the clip and it was an unbelievably good kiss for this OTP in such a genre, and this being their first pairing as a couple. They are soooo cute:eeeee:

Stay tuned and don't you dare blink or you will miss the passion lol:wow:

I will try to post the vid link when I see it again. 

Edited by oppasaranghaeyo
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Current Faves: Undercover & Mine & Bossam (Kdramas); The Handmaid's Tale (US Drama)l  

Watching: A Good Supper, Court Lady...  Waiting: Red Sky, Love (Season 2), Penthouse (Season 3)...  

4 minutes ago, SnT said:

@MorningDewi feel u. Ppl around me had not started this. Glad for the platform w u all nice viewers to fangirl wallace, discuss n vent n go high like we did over the scenes. I m rewatching to get through the weekend. I think for the first time in a very long time i will hv no Monday blues but look forward for Mondays in march haha.... Lol

I love story of minglan. I binge through that. But definitely a very different couple style. Minglan for one is very well thought n loved by grandma who is powerful in a way in the family. Love that relationship between them. Then she has a great champion in her husband who supoort her 110%. That marquis gu tingye is a rascal to start but one thing the same he is always looking for his wife to love him (like our houye here) haha.... He get angry because his wife did not try to oush away chambermsid n concubines rigourous enough. Its hilarous. I love it a lot because it is full of plots to make it interesting but not angsty because the couple is like unleakable steel buckets. Both husband n wife plsys good cop bad cop so well against others. I really hope this show follow those feel. Not likely as there is a hurdle of her not completely wanting to stay. But Lets see. 

Yes, the female lead character here is more pitiful than in the Story of Minglan, its because she did not have anyone to depend on but herself. Compare to Minglan she and her late mother basically need to survive in the family, that's why she is disinterested in marriage and eager to go back to Yuhang and planned to open her own embroidery shop. But because of the situation in her family she cannot be free and adopt 'watch and wait' attitude. Some comments in youtube thinks she has no back bone like Minglan, which is incorrect, so they want to drop the drama. But I think she is actually someone independent and quite modern in thinking. 

I think that's why LingYi starts to open up to her when he met her in the garden after his nightmare, and starts to fall for her after the late night convo when she said that she have no one but to depend on herself, its because they are so similar in soul and thinking. He also is quite modern in thinking because he did not believe in superstition but proof. I think both of them will help their character grow later, Shiyi become less guarded towards him and LingYi more supportive especially in allowing Shiyi more independent in pursuing her passion towards embroidery. 

I read that this drama is based on a novel. Anyone read the novel already? 

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Minglan was protected under the wings of grandma. The main wife as mother was not mean evil, just stupid. Here madame luo is so evil. Her selfishness is unbelievable. Only chunge n yuan niamg n her direct children matters, rest are to used discsrded n crumpled up as she wish. She has no heart care or love for anyone not her own. Its so cold n mean. Honestly i hate her character. Plus a very weak father. Hopefully shiyi brother is a good guy like minglan brother. 

Every bad things brings shiyi to lingyi. Guess that is fate. They met because of bandits, they got married bevause of yuanniang plotting n shiyi mother died, chunge illness shows shiyi gentleness to lingyi, the refugee porridge saga shows her calmness n intelligence, fengching shows her trust to him n they can talk to one another. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, MorningDew said:

I think that's why LingYi starts to open up to her when he met her in the garden after his nightmare, and starts to fall for her after the late night convo when she said that she have no one but to depend on herself, its because they are so similar in soul and thinking. He also is quite modern in thinking because he did not believe in superstition but proof. I think both of them will help their character grow later, Shiyi become less guarded towards him and LingYi more supportive especially in allowing Shiyi more independent in pursuing her passion towards embroidery. 

yes he started thinking there is more towards her than meet the eyes then... as he always think that shiyi might just made from the same cloth as her eldest sister...

and welcome in joining us hehehe....

• Like 1

I m rewatching ep 5. Shiyi is very pitiful. With her mun death, it is like her fate is sealed. She worked so hard to fight for her freedom n her mum was killed n she was psychologically marred by madame luo. In fact when i watch ep 5 i was thinking if she had left w master lin/ou. She will be a happier person. He was the ticket to that freedom n he woukd hv love her. Marrying lingyi really wasnt a easier path for her. She deserves to have houye to woo her n love her. My heart ache for her. 

N lingyi was really against something big. Maritime ban that has caused so many ppl to lost livelihood n turn pirates. He is such a grand person. U can see why very clearly he wants a stable family. His external  enemy is so big. 

No wonder the director uses the red string thst tie them together in the overall drama trailer. If it is not fate that brought her to him n fate that make this little gal into a powerful family grand madame, i don know what is. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

yes there will be a part she will be jailed and to be beheaded too

But got xu lingyi who hugs her n says he will not give up on her. N she says if there is another lifetime, she would wish them to be husband n wife. Touch!!! I think she must hv scarifice herself to save the entire family. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

It looks like there's a scene in the video where LingYi is fighting while protecting Shiyi. I wonder if she ends up following him when he leaves...

And maybe something happens there and Shiyi takes the fall..? Ugh! Can't wait for the rest of the episodes!!

As for reviews, if I like a drama, I don't care about what the reviews say. I will continue to watch and love it. I also don't follow ratings much. As long as they keep airing it, all is good. :cool:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

6 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Oh god, you mean they have broadcasted 18 episodes and they still haven’t kissed??? :shocked: Oh wait, is there supposed to be kissing in Chinese historical dramas???

I am at episode 5. The pace is a bit slow for me but the good thing is it is in Mandarin so I can watch and work at the same time. 👍

Have only seen minor bitching so far. Waiting to see how Erniang ends up marrying Wang Yu 😋

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 3