Sageuk & Wuxia Oppas (Oct 3 - Oct 10)

Promote Your Sageuk & Wuxia Oppas!!!

(Small prize for 3 best contestant, what's the gift you ask me? Secret!) 

We hear you all, so you have watched many sageuk & wuxia oppas? 50 series are all easy for you right? Losing sleep to admire the oppas in period costume and his fancy horse is no big deal. The oppas can be found in long and messy hair, in braided hair, with man bun, with crown or nice hat, the possibility is endless. 

Hence, we create this for you to share your favourite sageuk & wuxia oppas and challenge your creativity and writing skills to write the most convincing post, "on your best saeguk / wuxia oppas".

Kindly follow the simple format which stating, drama name, oppa character name, introduction, and lastly why we should hook up with your saeguk / wuxia oppas. Handsome oppas picture is a must. We all need an eye candy afterall!

Okay, as always start with me ! 

:ValentineBulba:

MOONLIGHT DRAWN BY CLOUDS

Lee Yeong - Park Bo Gum 

Clown crown prince who get confused and think himself as a gay. 

Why you should watch and hooked up to him? 

As I'm as shallow as hell, my main reason is because PBG looked real good in that dark blue robe with some silver printed embroidery on it. I'm silver moon, see how it's related with the title too... haha... Ok back to topic, his short hair and hat just simply win my heart. And the way he looked to the love lady dancing is just so lovely. 

Still not convinced? This is the best part of it, crown prince with sunglasses and dancing to bombastic song? Unforgettable! 

tumblr-odsw8e-Zwt11qh6ka7o2-540.gif

You all got the ideas already right? You can show their shiny armor, sword, or his best horse companion as well. We won't restrict you. Start! ENJOY! 

Note : last post entry on 10/9 8pm KST

Our jury will be Miss @wallflowersforjane who's not really into sageuk / wuxia. Please work hard with ur post entry oppa, so she can be convinced to choose your post & your oppas lols. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 5

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Mirror of the Witch 

Yoon Shi Yoon - Heo Jun 

A guy that got challenged to go to a forest to retrieve something and ended up in a woman’s house who is also a witch. 

It’s a good drama and it’s his first historical one too so it needs love. He looks really handsome in this. Especially when he has that big hat on. Lol The chemistry between them was really good.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Did I mention he cries a lot? Lol I mean buckets! What can I say he’s a good crier. :laugh:

Edited by JeannieBean
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

spacer.png

Always by your side. <3

archiveofourown.org/users/JeannieGhost

⬆️ My Fanfics

I have gazillion Oppas so there will be a fair few entries - just wanna share their pretti-ness in sageuk costumes. Those who wants to enter their Oppa(s) in are more than welcome to post again even if doubling up. I just like the costumes and admiring them! I'm going to first do a follow up on @SilverMoonTea's first entry for Moonlight Drawn by Clouds.

Moonlight Drawn by Clouds

(For admiration only)

Park Bo Gum as Lee Yeong and et al.

WHY WATCH?

The storyline I'm not as hooked as the latter half but the early half was interesting and fun. I'd recommend for the beautiful fashion and cinematography. It's probably the most beautiful I've seen in that year. The wardrobe department put in A LOT of effort in dressing up this Seja during the production of this drama and the hard work really paid off. Contrary to SilverMoonTea, I love Bo Gum's other wardrobe in this drama. Just to show a few of my fave:

This had to be my absolute favourite because of the full combination from head to toe. Never had I seen such beautiful materials.

HuDPAFo.jpg

The below scene was also beautifully shot when Bo Gum strutting into the screen in this maroon red pieces behind the wind-blown flag.

HiplaFj.jpg

There are many MANY more, and nicely summarised on this blog.

Jin Young as Kim Yoon Sung

Even second male lead Jin Young has some nice wardrobe.

248eIV0.jpg

Edited by mademoisellesia
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3

Rookie Historian Goo Hye Ryung

Cha Eun Woo as Lee Rim (Prince Dowon)

Luqc6FT.jpg

You don't call this guy Face Genius for nothing because this is just too beautiful... (of course photoshop contributed a lot...)

Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung is not a traditional sageuk. It's a fusion, modernised sageuk drama with a touch of feminism as it focuses on Hae Ryung, a female historian finding a place and be accepted in the palace. Cha Eun Woo plays the prince who dreams to be free and is a writer for love stories.

Ok, I did think Moonlight Drawn by Clouds' wardrobe department was fantastic but this one is just as pleasing to my eyes. Maybe it's the same designer, because I really love the use of lighter coloured tones and choice of materials for sageuk costumes.

No, I'm really here to sell the clothes, not the face... ahem *cough*

RVyFuML.jpg

pjCuIkM.jpg

Spoiler

Tt5YIFW.jpg

Omg you guys, I've too many ... I've also got LMH oppa in handsome sageuk to show off!!! :CubShy:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

I need to recommend my mum to you both @mademoisellesia @SilverMoonTea . She fell in love with Park Bo Gum in Moonlight. Yes she’s also watching Record of Youth now . Hmm coming to think of it she likes a lot of the oppas that you like . 

@JeannieBean YSY looks very good there . 

i need to think hard about which actor that I’d recommend. I barely watch historical. 

But the one historical c drama actor  I love ( x 100) is Mark Chao in Ten Miles of Peach Blossom . He was fantastic as YeHua. You could  feel his pain  in spite of the calm , stoic face he puts on . His chemistry with YangMi’s character was so good , that for the longest time I can’t watch them with other actors.  How can suffering love be this beautiful? 

And oh if we have best hair competition @Darkarcana, he’s gotta win this hands down 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f292e7fcb372bcdf3f715

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f292e7fcb372bcdf3f715

cc @Mouse  @Lynne @Phikyl @MayanEcho @OsmanthusTea @NiteWalker @UnniSara

@40somethingahjumma @Tothestars @AwkwarDerpI believe you guys watch a lot of c historical dramas. Any actors that stole your heart ? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Faith

iyYn8fM.gif

Lee Min Ho as Choi Young

Faith is Lee Min Ho's most under-rated sageuk yet best written in terms of characterisation. Those who has never seen it will never know Faith/Choi Young is the diamond in the rough. If you can see past the production/editing flaws, you'd see the deep layered and meaningful messages the writer wanted to convey via Choi Young and the other characters. In this drama, Lee Min Ho as Choi Young has never been ever so manly at the same time, yet so vulnerably jaded. A man with a few words, but extremely loyal and the most sincere man I've ever met in the history of Korean drama. If you want to see Lee Min Ho emote with his beautiful eyes, this is the drama to look into! ♥

Faith is a fusion, fantasy time-travelling sageuk where plastic surgeon Yoo Eun Soo (Kim Hee Sun) was kidnapped by the famous future General Choi Young from Goryeo through a Heaven Gate to heal Queen Noguk's wound. At the time Choi Young didn't want to serve the Goryeo kings anymore and accompanying the young King Gongmin and his Yuan's wife Noguk from Yuan, China safely back to Goryeo was his last mission. Unfortunately as a loyal & responsible warrior, he got entangled in Ki Chul's (Empress Ki's brother) ambitious attempt to take over Goryeo when Ki Chul began to show interest in Eun Soo, whom he swore in his name of honour to protect and promise to return her home. In the midst of this power struggle, he also fell in love with this red-haired strange woman from the heaven (future). Although Eun Soo is physically weak and has no combat skills to survive in the Goryeo era, she has great endless fighting spirit and adaptive skills. She doesn't succumb to the evil and she wittily uses her "heaven status" to wiggle herself out of tricky situation. She can't fight along with the soldiers but she stays behind the scene, like a mascot, as the healer as well as giving Choi Young's the best mental support he's always needed. She provided him a home.

Their love was slow burn but it was so worth the wait because when they love, it was eternity, as their love transcend time and space. Because Choi Young is a traditional man, a simple "touch" between man and a woman is considered intimate and taboo. Therefore, it is especially heart-fluttering (for him) when there is a scene that Eun Soo does things that is out of his prediction and keeps knocking into his heart.

nJFFBcO.gifhMtcsKv.gif

The sageuk costumes pales in comparison to other dramas because PD Kim Jong Hak wasted away a lot of money and Faith has financial problems. But back in that time, Lee Min Ho was killing us all with his Goryeo warrior look. Since the production is so poor, it's the best we could get out of - LINK to Fashion - and Lee Min Ho still kill us all in it anyway. @Thong Thin @Frau

Watch Lee Min Ho in action:

--- For admiration only ---

LEGEND OF THE BLUE SEA

Lee Min Ho as Kim Dam Ryung

I didn't think Min Ho suits Joseon hanbok, but in uniform, he does look amazing.

Spoiler

6WJvXub.jpg

Kim Dam Ryung and his horse

Spoiler

qn3VLZq.png

Hanbok

Spoiler

L2AnBr3.jpg

THE KING: ETERNAL MONARCH

Lee Min Ho as King Lee Gon

This isn't a sageuk but he did wear a king's costumes. I'm actually not sure how accurate these are because if he is king, he should be wearing bright red, not maroon and blue (which is for prince).

Spoiler

nchLBjB.jpgaMK6jVn.jpg

I think I need to call in more Minoz for help on PPL his dramas. I'm not doing a good job selling his other two, LOL. Minoz will be angry at me. Help! @Alice Wonderland @movingwheel

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Star Struck 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

I have zero knowledge on wuxia because I was never a C-drama watcher... but I watch some Sageuks so here are mine:

1.  Jang Hyuk in 'Tree With Deep Roots'

Character name: Kang Chae-Yoon / Ddol-Bok

Anyone interested in the Korean language or history should not miss this drama. Not once did I feel bored watching this drama, which is personally, quite rare as stories with politics and conspiracies usually bore me. There was less action than one would expect in a sageuk, but the intellectual warring was riveting so I didn't mind this one bit. 'Tree With Deep Roots' also has my favourite King character ever(played by Han Seok Kyu).

Lastly, this drama holds a special place in my heart because it got me interested enough to start learning Hangul properly.

spacer.png

2. Yoo Yeon Seok in 'Mr. Sunshine'

Character name: Goo Dong-Mae (hot samurai oppa who speaks Japanese and Korean)

Guns, glory, sad ending.

I have no words for this drama. It's a masterpiece. There is brotherhood, romance, action... just watch it. I ended up liking the supporting characters more than the leads as everyone was written and portrayed so well.

spacer.png

Edited by im0202
  • Like 6
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

@im0202 I've to agree with Goo Dong Mae. It was the first time I've ever thought, "Wow, Yoo Yeon Seok is so charming!" and I was very impressed of his Japanese pronunciation. Actually, they all did really well in speaking Japanese in Mr. Sunshine.

@abs-oluteM I'm actually no longer under the spell of PBG. I think when the whole nation fell in love with him, I fell out of it and have not yet found that fluttering heart back since. However Moonlight Drawn by Clouds have really pretty sageuk costumes that must be acknowledged (and I did collect a lot of his pics then), hahaha.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hands down the Episode 28 of Mark Chao (Ye Hua) with Lin Dongheng (Lian Song) breakdown scene will always come to mind for me about Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms. The only time I could hate Feng Jiu.

Hmm, Lin Gengxin and Shawn Duo of "Princess Agent". They were good leading men even if the drama was a disaster. There were some news that the second half will be shot soon enough. 

Part of my plans to finish "Love and Destiny" if only just to see the the very funny father there. Hahahaha! IIRC, he's also in a funny role in Princess Agents.

As for the Pillow Book, Shen Ye and Aranya will always be the saddest arc for me. The portion when Feng Jiu has the memories of Aranya will always get me. IMO it's this episode that the subtle differences between Feng Jiu and Aranya, and the Shen Ye before and after Aranya died were shown.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

spacer.png

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Chinese Paladin 3

Xu Changqing / Lin Yeping / Gu Liufang - Wallace Huo

Monk in current life, who struggle with forbidden love. 

Xu Changqing is the priest in training, who met the Niwa goddess descendant who was scared by past love before. Yes you're right they were a lover in their past 2 lives together. But he didn't remember it. 

The pain for forbidden love, and finally his acceptance for it, was very moving. He was such an innocent monk, I was laughing at how he deal with her seduction act at first. 

His attire nothing much fancy, but his robe is kind of made with nice flowy semi transparent material, and mostly in white / purple. Monk with this kind of very handsome face is a temptation and create sin to just everyone, so unfair. 

My whole mood watching this show 

20201003-102544.jpg

Lastly, check this MV out, this show left me with deep impression. When he ring the bell and propose to her, I will never forget. 

I think this was one of Wallace Huo best performance in wuxia genre. I like this better than the famous Journey of Flower. 

Spoiler

Ending : Sad, they're both separated. 

@mademoisellesia no rush we have 1 week to scratch our poor brain to write and spazzing this oppas genre. I also have a lot lols. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

The Tale of Nokdu

Kim So Hyun & Jang Dong Yoon

u2h6sHe.jpg

My next entry is a bit special because they are both "talented enough" 😅 to be able to cross-dress and pass as girl or boy, or boy or girl...oh I'm confused! I love this drama, Jang Dong Yoon is definitely The One to look out for as he cross-dressed convincingly and became a woman for at least the 1st half of the show. It was so fun to watch. The chemistry between these two were also off the chart, and I have never seen Kim So Hyun matches well with any guy and her kiss scenes were 100 times better in this one.

JFGl6zV.gif

Who's the boy and who's the girl?

Spoiler

8wTBfpW.jpg

And eventually they go back to what they should be wearing, hahaha...

Spoiler

cro6aQd.jpg

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

35051963-56-A3-4-EB5-AEF2-9895492-A23-F6

A26-D3-C96-A5-F9-42-E5-81-C6-2-F064-EBDA

Wallace Huo Chien Hua in Ruyi’s Royal Love in The Palace. A palace or a harem drama to be exact with Dynasty Qing/Manchurian setting. My least favorite ancient look....Not every man can pulls off half bald half rat tail hairstyle but as I can see WH looks quite decent....

Ruyi is a gorgeous drama for the eyes with it’s lavish sets (with many original antique pieces) and beautiful costumes IF you can sit thru 87 episodes of females’ squabbles and backstabbing....The actors are top notch and flawless in acting department. One of the most expensive drama to made ($43.8 millions).

Spoiler

f04da2db14841af21fe40a.jpg

f04da2db14841af21fe308.jpg

47d04e751a892cf3bb5b291bf2058337.jpg

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

~ Extraordinary You ~

Rowoon as Haru

Lee Jae Wook as Baek Kyung

Lee Tae Ri as Jinmiche

(For admiration only)

This is not a sageuk but a modern drama and it's a bit like the movie, Inception—A comic within another comic kind of set-up, that's why the drama had a sageuk storyline (which is kinda cool!). The concept of this drama is interesting, although in the latter part became a bit repetitive. The idea, though, was refreshing and very manga-like (ok, it is a webtoon adaptation) which I love to see as there was so many good materials in comic books that many years ago I wished they could be brought on screen. Rowoon is like a character coming to life from a comic book and the surprising bit is we did not know there will be Goryeo sageuk part until much later, so it was simply pure surprise to see the 3 leads in sageuk costumes and I totally didn't expect Rowoon could pull it off in sageuk! ♥o♥

AD0wL5g.jpg

tG8rowo.jpgkdyTtF5.jpg

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 7
  • Awesome 2

Presenting sageuk royalty, his highness

Animated gif about gif in Korean Actors/Artist😍😍😍💕💕💕❤ by Gabriela  Lindao

𝑒𝑒 𝒥𝑜𝑜𝓃 𝒢𝒾, Wang So (4th Prince)

🆂🅲🅰🆁🅻🅴🆃 🅷🅴🅰🆁🆃 🆁🆈🅴🅾

Lee Joon Gi has an impressive list of sageuk dramas under his filmography, but I want to highlight his last sageuk 'Scarlet Heart Ryeo' because aside from that it commenced his last period drama during his 30's, this project has also a special recognition from his international fans. :hearties:

c32e5df535167b65cd74707b76b0230e.jpg

SHR is a fusion sageuk and fantasy. Lee Joon Gi, despite the premise of time travelling, maintained a glamourous parade of period costumes all through out the show. His costumes varied depending on the character development of Wang So. From the known outcast 'dog wolf' to the lonely king Gwangjong of Goryeo.

"𝑭𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒃𝒆𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒏𝒆𝒈𝒍𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒑𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒆, 𝑾𝒂𝒏𝒈 𝑺𝒐 𝒔𝒖𝒅𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒃𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏. 𝑯𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒂 𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇-𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒄𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒃𝒐𝒚 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒉𝒆’𝒔 𝒈𝒐𝒏𝒏𝒂 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒂 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒕𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒆𝒓. "

- Lee Joon Gi

Lee Joon Gi also portrayed impressive action scenes , like he always do. There are notable scenes in the show that marked how flawless he is while doing his own stunts, aside from his classic Napoleon 's pose with a stallion. I am internally squealing every time I see him riding a horse like a high class equestrian . :wow:

Training for Moon Lovers

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Drama Title: Maiden Holmes

Admiration: Zhang LingHe as PeiZhao(Prince Qi)

im leaning towards Zhang LingHe, he is the actor that currently debuted with Maiden Holmes....he stoles my heart with his characterization of PeiZhao, he did it well...and im amaze with him....not to mention that this is his first roles and first drama too....

im not sure about others however he really do steal the screen stellar and how he romance SuCi in the drama itself.....its not a pure historical and if you're someone who looking for real plot i wont ask you to watch 'Maiden Holmes' hahaha however if u're someone who lean towards chemistry in between lead..... 'Maiden Holmes' might just interest you....plot and story wise....it will fall into 6 or 7 over 10 for some ppl....for me i gave it a 7 due to the good chemistry in the whole cast....

PeiZhao has a very good martial moves to begin with too.....besides Xie BeiMing the 2nd lead is the comical guy in the series with very good martial art himself....

PeiZhao by Zhang LingHe & SuCi by ChenYao

Wjlp5FC.jpg

Xie Beiming by Zhang Jia Ding & Dong Rushuang by Wang Yi Zhe

F5qx0yI.jpg

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Hwarang 🌸

Park Hyung Sik as Sam Maek Jong / Ji Dwi Rang

I was so interested in Hwarang at the time of announcement, particularly it was a sageuk set in Silla period which I was not familiar with and then there were like a bunch of pretty boys "Hwarang = Flower Men" in it, and also it was Park Seo Joon headlining this drama so you know... but in the end I fell for Park Hyung Sik's beauty instead... hahaha. Hyung Sik just nailed every single different look he was given unlike Seo Joon. Plus because he plays King of Silla, so his costumes are just :wow: Love the head pieces too! Plus after watching so many Joseon's hanboks, the hanboks ended up looking very similar whereas Silla and Goryeo's costumes are probably rarer and so becomes so much more appealing... although I'm not sure how accurate the costumes were portrayed to these dynasties.

eRzTtBe.jpg

00pm9ZZ.jpgB7j76Wu.jpg

At the end of the day I wouldn't recommend Hwarang. It was not a well-made drama and the story writing or even the romance were not great. However I don't regret the time I spent on it because it's through this drama that I got to know some new actors and actresses; impressed with Hyung Sik's emoting through his beautiful eyes and be acquainted a bit more with Silla dynasty, and also got to find out Seo Joon is not very suitable for certain sageuk hairstyle :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
10 minutes ago, mademoisellesia said:

At the end of the day I wouldn't recommend Hwarang. It was not a well-made drama and the story writing or even the romance were not great. However I don't regret the time I spent on it because it's through this drama that I got to know some new actors and actresses; impressed with Hyung Sik's emoting through his beautiful eyes and be acquainted a bit more with Silla dynasty, and also got to find out Seo Joon is not very suitable for certain sageuk hairstyle

one thing i know is if u want to watch tons of good looking guys 'HwaRang' is the drama to fall on hahahhaa

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

LIVE UP TO YOUR NAME

Heo Im

This is a fusion saeguk, where Dr. Heo Im acupuncturist from Joseon being transfered to modern time everytime he died. And vice versa of going back to Joseon. 

This drama very funny, especially the confusion from his part seeing the 'modern life'. The part he's riding escalator really give me a crack 

LUTYN-200273.jpg

And the craziness continue, 

tumblr-ouoh55ejzr1tmjt2ko5-400.gif tumblr-ouoh55ejzr1tmjt2ko2-400.gif

And so he meet the love lady hot tempered modern doctor, and their romance... to die for... 

This scene of him tying her hanbok ribbon, you gotta watch it. If no butterfly on your stomach, then I will be worry for you! 

2:39 have the short version of it. But I recommended to watch the full version. 

b6717eba59df0fe63a65f727df63d104f47006b7

Mustache event was mainly inspired by him. Don't you think he looked better with that on? When he shave it, I felt so empty haha... Ok sorry I'm so distracted. 

pict.ctto

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

wuxia geges

#this kid is so handsome from movielosophy

I want to be that cup of tea, lols

Spoiler

#untouchable lovers from kdramasandchill

i love his eyes, so deep when he looks at you, oh my heart!

btw @NiteWalker I dont know that xiao ge has a wuxia drama project before, is this good?

#young blood from wee guttersnipe

Ren Jia Lun in UTP

sigh, google doesn have many picture of him, lol.

He's so mesmerizing charismatic here as Lu Yi, fall head over heels for him, awww :wow:

EMr0t6xUEAIA88j.jpg

Spoiler

drama couples | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

next post is saeguk oppas, or could I spam pics here??? lol

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Important Information

Terms of Use