China Charm Grapevines

6 minutes ago, Tofu said:

@JenL -- This is so interesting. I can't picture a historical version of this drama..

What a weird idea! But I'm happy that Someday or One Day is still so popular that people are wanting to adapt the story over and over again. It's still one of the best things I've seen :heart:

• Like 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Oh my !!! 2022 feels like a long way . Too bad this is only a movie.

My faves Johnny & ZZH . Johnny definitely 100% convincing as a cop ( watch Thunder - for me still his best role ) and ZZH will have Retro Detective coming out soon.

Tagging @NiteWalker @Lynne @Tofu @SnT

• Like 2
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

9 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Oh my !!! 2022 feels like a long way . Too bad this is only a movie.

My faves Johnny & ZZH . Johnny definitely 100% convincing as a cop ( watch Thunder - for me still his best role ) and ZZH will have Retro Detective coming out soon.

he already look good as an army...

infact he mention that during filming MDG he felt that he is too fat....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Favorite Drama/Film Couples (First Half of 2021)

iJBtKem.gif

In the past few weeks, it's been really stressful at work so when I get home all I want to do is watch something that doesn't require too much thinking. Romantic comedies and romance dramas fit that description for me. They are predictable but I like watching everyone grow to love and accept each other. I thought it would be good to share some of my favorite couples and want to know others' favorites too. 

In no particular order, so far this year, these couples were my favorites from the romance dramas I watched (I have a separate list for costume/non-romance focused modern dramas that I'll touch on at a later time).

Perfect and Casual (2020)

Spoiler

LtAVAFP.jpg

The main couple's relationship started because of Zhang Si Nian's (Wei Zhe Ming) white lie to his grandfather. The lie was that he had a girlfriend and was going to bring her to meet his grandfather (who has cancer). Yun Su (Xu Ruo Han) was once Zhang Si Nian's student in university. They didn't have the best interactions but she helped him by pretending to be his girlfriend. The reason was simple for Yun Su, she had a brief encounter with the grandfather and learned about his dying wish. She wanted to help fulfill that wish. The white lie turned into a contractual marriage which eventually led to a real marriage. Throughout their contractual marriage, both leads naturally learned to love each other. They had good communication and wanted nothing more than for the other person to live their dreams and be happy. I felt like I was watching two kind people fall in love under strange circumstances. When their contract was over there wasn't a long separation with the leads debating if they truly love each other -- something you would get in other contractual dramas. Both of them decided that they wanted to renew their "contract" for life and stayed together.  

You Are My Hero (2021)

Spoiler

gHQEkVy.jpg

How does one not include them in their favorite couples of this year?! Mi Ka and Xing Ke Lei were refreshing to watch. I love how expressive they were with their feelings and thoughts. When there was trouble in paradise, both of them would talk about it. They had a deep understanding for the other person's profession and was never jealous or upset when their times together were cut short. I love their ending message of loving each other knowing the other person was not entirely theirs (because they belonged to the people/community due to their profession). 

The Day of Becoming You (2021)

Spoiler

oAF8MTY.jpeg

Let's ignore the ending because that's beside the point here. Haha! This couple made me smile and laugh the entire time. I love that even though they swapped bodies, you never truly felt that they did. When the other person struggled with communicating, they supported and balanced each other out. They argued but talked about it after apologizing. They were not afraid to admit when they did something wrong to the other person. It was truly a beautiful love they developed. 

My honorable mention couple goes to Forever Love (2020). I honestly did not think I would like this drama because I usually write off youth dramas. That's a genre I have little interest in. I gave it a shot anyway and found myself enjoying it. Jiang Zheng Han and Xia Lin Xi are high school classmates who developed a deep fondness for each other. Their relationship did not start until they got into university. I would say that the strength of their relationship is really in how much they were willing to accept the other person's shortcomings, family and all. They journeyed through so many obstacles (really annoying second male lead, trouble in their careers, differences in social status, separation, etc.). Throughout it all, they stayed together and the thought of breaking up never crossed their minds. They were also really trusting of each other and never questioned the other person's love for them. 

Spoiler

C3YGc2j.jpg

If I was to summarize all of these couples, their relationships were non-toxic. They never manipulated the other person by using their emotions against them. These are the types of relationships I like to see in dramas. I have a hard time watching dramas where there are constant mind games and manipulations of emotions.  

Please share with me your favorite couples from the dramas you've watched this year! I need to know what couples you liked so I can see if I need to watch that drama too. Basically, I've run out of completed dramas to watch so I need recommendations. :laugh:

The couples do not need to be from dramas aired in 2021. They also do not need to be couples from romance/rom-coms. :btsnamjoonlove:

@NiteWalker @Lynne @abs-oluteM @SilverMoonTea @mayicoryn @MayanEcho @Yana @themarchioness @40somethingahjumma @Olivia Kate @Alice Wonderland @Mouse

Please tag more people, because it's after midnight here and I can't remember everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

@Tofu My favorite is the main CP from The Imperial Coroner. This couple is truly  couple goals in how they communicate and support each other. Although the drama doesn't focus a lot on their romance , it was lovely watching them work together to solve the cases. They understood each other perfectly and there was no unnecessary drama in the way their relationship progressed.

Let me tag @SnT @IpohBanana @Mizv @OsmanthusTea @UnniSara

Don’t know if @movingwheel watched any cdramas ? 

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@Tofu I started many C dramas but never able to complete them. It's already difficult for me to just finish 16 eps, and C dramas never spare me with anything less than that 😅

I only like Mr Lizard and Miss Crow (2021) 

ezgif-com-gif-maker-3.jpg

Despite the super clicheness of ML with heart problem and struggling in life FL, somehow Xing Fei and Ren Jia Lun make this drama succeed. The beautiful OST is a bonus point. 

Show started this year but never complete :

- The Rational Life 

- Remember My Boy

- Hello Mr Gu

- Please Class Mate 

- Insect Detective 

Drama already aired, long time ago that I can recommend to you : (some not adviseable to watch when stress, I'll add * remarks for that 😅

- Under The Power (maybe you should for once listen to your sister?)

Watch until ep 30s. The rest its barren land from love, angsty separation. 

- Ashes of Love 

Great chemistry of Deng Lun and YangZi, the love is forbidden at some point of time. My favourite theme.

- Autumn Cicada * 

Japanese occupation is a hard time, spy with tears inducing drama. 

- Sparrow *

Another life under Japanese drama that make me want to pull my hair out lols. I really like ZDY and ZRY's pair. 

• Like 3
  • Star Struck 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

This isn't too difficult... there aren't that many good ones to begin with.

Mi Ka and Xing Kelei from You Are My Hero because they are one of the most well-balanced, functional pairings in the history of C dramas. It's almost a bit of a shock to think that these two adults communicate honestly and it makes absolute sense for them to fall in love with each other. Compatibility factor is high. The crazy stuff happens around them and not between them. Thank God. I love these sorts of romance dynamics where the male and female lead are smart, well-adjusted human beings who can work together to solve problems.

And of course, Chu Chu and Xiao Jingyu (Prince An) from The Imperial Coroner. A couple of nerds who speak each other's language and solve crimes together. What's not to like? She has her skill set, he provides detective smarts and leadership. He says "jump", she says "how high". He says "Let's get married." She says, "Let's catch the bad guy on our wedding day". How can you not love these two crazy kids? Only a girl who is fascinated by dead bodies can get the attention of the prince who is obsessed with solving crimes.

Consolation prize: The Long Ballad's Li Changge and Ashile Sun for similar reasons to above. But gets marks deducted for not enough Ashile Sun at the end.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Consolation prize: The Long Ballad's Li Changge and Ashile Sun for similar reasons to above. But gets marks deducted for not enough Ashile Sun at the end.

I would have included them if they didn’t give me that parakeet kiss in place of actual kiss.  I am still so sore :pandawhat:.  I liked this pair a lot but the ending could have given me a bit more romance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

What's Wrong with Secretary Kim: Kim Ji Ah and Go Gwi Nam

At the beginning I didn't really care about them. After the tomato scene everything changed  and I was more interested in them than the main couple (I am sorry) 

Spoiler

Of course I wanted to see more of them but hey at least they got together at the end. The moment when he said: "I tried bc I have my first date today." I mean I know that he was talking about her but if I was in her situation the only thing that pops up in my head would be: Am I A Joke To You? Didn't you said you don't want to date right now and only focus on your work? But hey they got there happy ending so I am fine :D

What's Wrong with Secretary Kim: Bong Se Ra and Yang Cheol

This couple was funny and cute. The moment when you realize that the person you like likes you back :heart: And this reminds me of them.

Spoiler

I loved the Coca-Cola bottle confession:wow:

Miss Crow with Mr. Lizard: Jiang Xiao Ning and Gu Chuan

A person coming into your life and suddenly your whole new world becomes colourful day by day. This couple is one of my fav. couples this year.

Spoiler

I am just gonna pretend that the break up was just a dream. At the end they got there happy ending but boy the few last episodes were really painfull to watch.

The Day of Becoming You: Yu Sheng Sheng and Jiang Yi

I just love them. They found each other without looking for each other.

Spoiler

The part from where she found him (again :wow:) on the swing until the confession part was so beautiful. (Visually (I talked about this in the TDOBY Section)) But I am still salty about the drunk part. And the car kiss is one of my fav. moments.

And 3 more couples:

My Girl (2020): Wei Lei and Sui An / Ah Tao and Jiang Jiang

I don't know but I just liked them more then the main couple.

Off the Course: Kang Soo Ji and Goo Sung Chan

Spoiler

Yep they didn't end up together but in my eyes Nam Ji Hyun is the chemistry queen. They were so cute together and I understand why they didn't end up together. Not everyone is ready for a family or maybe you are used to be alone and that's fine too. Take your time and maybe just maybe try to talk about the problem and don't agree with something when you are not 100% sure if that's the right thing.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

For me.... 

The general lady - Caesar Wu & Tang Min

Eternal love series - Xing zhao ling & Liang Jie

You're my hero - Bai Jinting & Sandra Ma

Maiden Holmes - Zhang linghe & Chenyao

The day becoming of you - Steven Zhang & Liang Jie

The long ballad - Lui tuning & Zhao lusi

That 's all I can think of now... :smile: add more later... 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
6 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

I am joining the club therapy of @abs-oluteM :shocked:

Honestly this is the 1st time I am seeing a drama do this. But what I understood was that in the Webtoon there was no kisses.

---------------------

OMG... I loved these two from You Are My Sunshine. Did anyone watch this Wallace drama?

@Phikyl @jeijei ? I think you guys watched this right?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Honestly this is the 1st time I am seeing a drama do this. But what I understood was that in the Webtoon there was no kisses.

It did happen with drama in the 60s or 70s where intimacy on screen is a huge taboo....:Ghastlel: But in ChangGe for sure the main reason was Leo is too young for Reba to romanced. Reba never shy away from kissing scenes. Her kisses with DL and Johnny etc managed to made me slightly blushed....:PsyWhat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

But in ChangGe for sure the main reason was Leo is too young for Reba to romanced.

In The Long Ballad, I kept forgetting how young Wu Lei is because his character was quite matured. I'm watching him in Go Fridge (the variety show) where he's playing jokes, bantering with Jackson, etc. It's such a big contrast to his A'sun character that I kept thinking, "Who is this person?!" :laugh:

Drama rumor for ZZH, @abs-oluteM.  

• Like 1
  • Party! 1